Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pay attention to who you send money to, don't click malicious links, don't leave your phone sitting around with no lock screen and automatically logged into your banking app?

This feels way less like some fundamental flaw in Zelle and more a flaw of how people treat security on a device that has more of their information than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

If you hand cash to a scammer, your bank won't refund that, either.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You’re right. gently caress the user for making a mistake.

In Europe if I want to transfer money from my bank to someone else I need (1) physical access to my card and (2) I need to stick my card into a card reader and enter my PIN among other transaction details before the money leaves my bank account. But I can do that transfer via my bank’s app and it goes directly into the other person’s bank account instantly without them having to download an app or set anything up. I dunno that seems like the much safer system but hey it’s inconvenient so whatever.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 6, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Considering that most Zelle fraud relies on phishing the user into willingly sending money to someone, I don't see how adding more steps changes that.

We're at a point in time where loving pharmacy and gas station staff have to yell at boomers that no, that isn't really the IRS that's asking you to buy thousands of dollars in gift cards to pay taxes.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, I've only ever used Zelle to send or get money from friends, never involving someone I don't already know in person. It's basically an easier way to do an ACH push transfer without revealing either party's actual bank acct/routing info. It's been forever since I've done it, but I recall you select the recipient by either phone # or email, presuming they've registered to use Zelle at their financial institution.

I can see where it might be easy to gently caress up and send money to the wrong person, assuming you mistype their email or phone number. I also see why it would be the preferred money transfer method for people scamming people, because it's basically irreversible once done.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

You’re right. gently caress the user for making a mistake.

In Europe if I want to transfer money from my bank to someone else I need (1) physical access to my card and (2) I need to stick my card into a card reader and enter my PIN among other transaction details before the money leaves my bank account. But I can do that transfer via my bank’s app and it goes directly into the other person’s bank account instantly without them having to download an app or set anything up. I dunno that seems like the much safer system but hey it’s inconvenient so whatever.

How does that stop you from sending money to the wrong person or a scammer if you’re already planning to do so?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's European and therefore better.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
MY WIFE’S Amex is coming up for renewal and I figured we’d switch her to the Schwab card to snag the bonus. Unfortunately looks like she’s in pop up hell because she has an Amex card already. I guess the benefit of having two full Amex cards is that we get two United credits, hotel credits, etc, while with an additional authorized user we’re limited to one set of benefits only, correct?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Residency Evil posted:

MY WIFE’S Amex is coming up for renewal and I figured we’d switch her to the Schwab card to snag the bonus. Unfortunately looks like she’s in pop up hell because she has an Amex card already. I guess the benefit of having two full Amex cards is that we get two United credits, hotel credits, etc, while with an additional authorized user we’re limited to one set of benefits only, correct?

Yes, Amex recently 2weeks ago or so changed the lifetime sub rules, you used to be able to get vanilla + schwab + MS subs now just 1

If you keep 2 you get double credits, also the AU fee just got jacked up. You could ask for a retention offer.

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

Residency Evil posted:

Correct, unfortunately the changes to the Platinum last month now consider them all one product for the bonus language, so yeah the old slide over to Schwab in year 2 trick is dead.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes, Amex recently 2weeks ago or so changed the lifetime sub rules, you used to be able to get vanilla + schwab + MS subs now just 1

If you keep 2 you get double credits, also the AU fee just got jacked up. You could ask for a retention offer.

captain chauncey posted:

Correct, unfortunately the changes to the Platinum last month now consider them all one product for the bonus language, so yeah the old slide over to Schwab in year 2 trick is dead.

Thanks guys. I guess that'll teach me for procrastinating for a few years.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Had a Plat, until covid stopped all travel and made it not worth it, and eventually got a Gold instead. Every now and again though when I log in I get a pop-up for the Plat with a bonus. It never says the limit language, but I'm sure it would be on the back-end fine print. I did think back when that I'd consider reupping if I got a bonus, but with the changes I assume it's just a generic pop-up.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Untagged posted:

Had a Plat, until covid stopped all travel and made it not worth it, and eventually got a Gold instead. Every now and again though when I log in I get a pop-up for the Plat with a bonus. It never says the limit language, but I'm sure it would be on the back-end fine print. I did think back when that I'd consider reupping if I got a bonus, but with the changes I assume it's just a generic pop-up.

You're probably eligible for the upgrade offer, at least.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

astral posted:

You're probably eligible for the upgrade offer, at least.

Will they give a bonus for an upgrade, when it's back to a card you've already received one for? Have to look at the terms next time. Always assumed don't qualify for the offer.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Untagged posted:

Will they give a bonus for an upgrade, when it's back to a card you've already received one for? Have to look at the terms next time. Always assumed don't qualify for the offer.

It just depends on the offer but sometimes yes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My annual insurance is coming due, which ends up being $1100. Debating signing up for a new card for a sign up bonus, but I'm starting to get saturated with cards. Any recommendations? Literally will be sign up, use card to pay insurance, never use again (or small purchases to keep alive).

I have -

Citi Double Cash
Citi Diamond Premier
Discover It
Delta Gold Amex
Amex Blue
BofA of some sort
Amazon Visa
Chase Freedom
Wells Fargo 2x

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Medullah posted:

My annual insurance is coming due, which ends up being $1100. Debating signing up for a new card for a sign up bonus, but I'm starting to get saturated with cards. Any recommendations? Literally will be sign up, use card to pay insurance, never use again (or small purchases to keep alive).

I have -

Citi Double Cash
Citi Diamond Premier
Discover It
Delta Gold Amex
Amex Blue
BofA of some sort
Amazon Visa
Chase Freedom
Wells Fargo 2x

Another Amex for one of the lifetime subs doesn't seem unreasonable, not sure which ones $1100 would be sufficient to do.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
You’re getting into bigger SUB territory which will come with bigger spend requirements. The various Chase sapphire and business cards and amex being the main ones for you to look at.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there any reason to hold off on canceling my wife's regular Amex plat? Likely no chance that they'll change their policy on the sub thing right?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Residency Evil posted:

Is there any reason to hold off on canceling my wife's regular Amex plat? Likely no chance that they'll change their policy on the sub thing right?

Retention offer(s)?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

Retention offer(s)?

We got a 55k MR points retention offer this year for $5,000 spend in 3 months I think? Doesn’t hurt to ask.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gonna recommend not getting any delta cards after today's news lol

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/medallion-program/2024-program-updates

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 14, 2023

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

actionjackson posted:

gonna recommend not getting any delta cards after today's news lol

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/medallion-program/2024-program-updates

Lol shorter Delta: "Buy business class tickets or gtfo".

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Ironically, this change is actually good for me as an America Express Platinum holder who doesn't really fly with Delta. Previously you had unlimited lounge visits with Delta SkyClub but you needed to be flying with Delta, now it's 6 visits per year but you can be flying with anyone, I believe. Which means I can visit the Delta SkyClub 6 times more than I usually do.

I still think the changes are poo poo, it just happens to benefit me for once.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

pezzie posted:

Ironically, this change is actually good for me as an America Express Platinum holder who doesn't really fly with Delta. Previously you had unlimited lounge visits with Delta SkyClub but you needed to be flying with Delta, now it's 6 visits per year but you can be flying with anyone, I believe. Which means I can visit the Delta SkyClub 6 times more than I usually do.

I still think the changes are poo poo, it just happens to benefit me for once.

Do you have a link where Delta changed the need to have a same-day Delta boarding pass to access a SkyClub with a Platinum Amex? Delta doesn't want (low value) people flying on Delta in the SkyClub why would they let someone on a different airline in? I'm pretty sure this went from unlimited access to Delta SkyClub with a same-day Delta boarding pass to access Delta SkyClubs 6 times a year with a same-day Delta boarding pass. Since the need for a same-day Delta boarding pass requirement didn't change it wasn't added to the changes.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

gariig posted:

Do you have a link where Delta changed the need to have a same-day Delta boarding pass to access a SkyClub with a Platinum Amex? Delta doesn't want (low value) people flying on Delta in the SkyClub why would they let someone on a different airline in? I'm pretty sure this went from unlimited access to Delta SkyClub with a same-day Delta boarding pass to access Delta SkyClubs 6 times a year with a same-day Delta boarding pass. Since the need for a same-day Delta boarding pass requirement didn't change it wasn't added to the changes.

You're right, I might have jumped the gun, I don't see it yet. I'm mostly reacting to the rumors that got posted on reddit last month. Every single detail about the rumors from reddit was confirmed today except the dropping of the need for a Delta ticket, but I'll wait for American Express's statement to confirm it.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 14, 2023

asur
Dec 28, 2012
I just read an article that stated the if you had a basic econ Delta ticket you can't access the lounge with a Plat, or the Delta card, so I'm guessing the requirement for a Delta boarding pass is still in effect.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Awesome, I made the swap to the Amex Gold as my primary rewards card a few months ago. I really, really, really need to go on a trip or three.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m just hoping the Delta changes result in less people in the centurion lounges. If Amex stopped giving active duty military annual fee waivers on the platinums you’d see a huge drop in centurion lounge visitors, but that’ll never happen, so we’ll see how the delta changes affect it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cacafuego posted:

I’m just hoping the Delta changes result in less people in the centurion lounges.

Won't it result in more people in Centurion lounges, since the people traveling on Delta will now have fewer choices?

quote:

If Amex stopped giving active duty military annual fee waivers on the platinums you’d see a huge drop in centurion lounge visitors, but that’ll never happen, so we’ll see how the delta changes affect it.

Wouldn't that be something.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I have no skin in the game, but man Delta people are big mad about the changes on social media.

They made the program too easy to get status in and they're basically resetting it

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

If Amex stopped giving active duty military annual fee waivers on the platinums you’d see a huge drop in centurion lounge visitors, but that’ll never happen, so we’ll see how the delta changes affect it.

Wow, thats nice. Does it include all of the various credits that come with the platinum? If so, that could easily cost Amex hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

Unless of course you also need still to have excellent credit and high income, which would probably disqualify most active duty military.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

woman's reaction to this news from a local morning show

Only registered members can see post attachments!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

The whole point of these changes is to make it a lot harder for a ton of people to get status so yeah the people Delta doesn't want (which to be fair is most of us) are gonna be upset.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

drk posted:

Wow, thats nice. Does it include all of the various credits that come with the platinum? If so, that could easily cost Amex hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

Unless of course you also need still to have excellent credit and high income, which would probably disqualify most active duty military.

Yes it does, it is the same credit card, and the fee gets waived. When I suggested loading up on all the premium cards (it isn't just amex, I think most of the big issuers* waive the fees), my active duty buddy was all "oh no that's taking advantage of them, I'm not gonna do that". So its not like everyone in the service is grabbing platinum cards.

But man, they are trying to take advantage of *you* and rolling themselves in the flag while doing it. Get those miles, credits, lounge access and room upgrades. I'm pretty sure they are still coming out way ahead by "giving" these folks credit cards.

* https://militarymoneymanual.com/credit-cards-waive-annual-fees-military/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

saintonan posted:

The whole point of these changes is to make it a lot harder for a ton of people to get status so yeah the people Delta doesn't want (which to be fair is most of us) are gonna be upset.

I think they went too far in the opposite direction though. Honestly what is the point of any status level at this point? if you do the insane spend required for diamond or plat, you are already flying first or business anyway, so upgrades don't matter. maybe they just love the priority phone line?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

They love the little thing that says they have Platinum Medallion and the plebes don't.

There's a sizable number of people who get status through cc spend with AA/DL/UA who fly like once a year.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Won't it result in more people in Centurion lounges, since the people traveling on Delta will now have fewer choices?

Maybe? But from some of the responses I was seeing, it looked like current delta frequent flyers were going to dump the Amex plat in favor of a card that still allows access to sky clubs. Time will tell, I suppose.

actionjackson posted:

Honestly what is the point of any status level at this point?

Upgrades and free bags are nice, but what I really care about is getting bumped to the front of the line or standby list when there’s IRROPS. I want to get where I’m going when things get inevitably hosed up.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

skipdogg posted:

I have no skin in the game, but man Delta people are big mad about the changes on social media.

They made the program too easy to get status in and they're basically resetting it

If you mean rollover MQM, yes, they let people acquire tons of it during COVID leaving a bunch more Medallions.

But, they, like, burned down the house to solve a termite problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Small White Dragon posted:

If you mean rollover MQM, yes, they let people acquire tons of it during COVID leaving a bunch more Medallions.

But, they, like, burned down the house to solve a termite problem.

Yeah between this and my work situation changing it's basically an invitation to revoke my pledge to House Skymiles. Because of how the airports are in NYC (gently caress going all the way to EWR if you don't live in NJ) they are still the most viable of the big three, but now it's a lot easier to look at say Jet Blue or Alaska when booking, instead of just immediately turning on the Skymiles filter.

Lounge and upgrades weren't even a thing at the low end. The biggest perk or low effort silver or gold was baggage fees getting waived. That's an automatic $60-$80 discount on a lot of tickets just for making silver.