Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
they're all praying that Trump gets in and goes a-pardoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Cimber posted:

Federal sentencing guidlines are a complex matrix of factors, with various levels being given multiplies for the months served. From what I've seen, the judge applied a series of specific modifiers, that when combined with the offense type boils down to 27-33 years.

But SCOTUS ruled a couple decades ago that they're completely optional, not a requirement, so federal judges have full* discretion to ignore that whole complex calculation and just assign whatever sentence they feel like.

* If there's an extreme variance, like the guidelines say you deserve decades in prison but the judge assigns only probation, or vice versa, it might get changed on appeal. Otherwise they never do.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Wait this judge gave his longest sentence to the only brown one?

See above re:"terrorism" just means crimes by brown people

Don't get me wrong I'm sure the guy is a shithead and deserves it but nevertheless this judge man

The Bible
May 8, 2010

SirFozzie posted:

they're all praying that Trump gets in and goes a-pardoning.

Which is really funny, because even if he does get elected, he probably still won't do poo poo to help them.

It's incredible that no matter how many people he uses then disposes of, people keep lining up to jump in front of bullets for him, confident for some reason that THEY are the ones he will be loyal to.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Tarrio posted:

In remarks to the court in Washington, Tarrio said he was sorry for the events of January 6, and credited police officers for their bravery in resisting the attack.

“What happened on January 6 was a national embarrassment,” Tarrio said, adding that he both now knew Trump lost to Joe Biden and blamed himself for actions that led to losing his freedom.

Becoming emotional, Tarrio said: “I do not think what happened that day was acceptable.”

How long until he's on Alex Jones claiming that the trial was rigged, the judge is a satanic pedophole, and that he's innocent?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Scratch Monkey posted:

How long until he's on Alex Jones claiming that the trial was rigged, the judge is a satanic pedophole, and that he's innocent?

Tomorrow.

Alex’s show is over in the afternoon, Texas time, and he probably won’t do a special night time episode for this. (They cut into his drinking time.)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Bible posted:

Which is really funny, because even if he does get elected, he probably still won't do poo poo to help them.

It's incredible that no matter how many people he uses then disposes of, people keep lining up to jump in front of bullets for him, confident for some reason that THEY are the ones he will be loyal to.

He loves America.

But, yeah, it's bizarre that the world's most self serving man is a person they think is sacrificing everything to save the country. He wants to be president because of the power and the adulation. He only cares about himself.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://i.imgur.com/zdrK6ro.mp4

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

:hai:

Dude is 39, so he'll get out of the pen at age 61 or so. 61 years old, no savings, no job skills, high-profile felony record, parents dead, kids all grown up, wife probably left him, friends all moved on - he's got a great life ahead of him.

I am 2 years younger than him. It’s so hard to imagine what 22 years really looks like. Its such a massive portion of your life. The amount of things that have happened and all that I have been through.

And this dumbass threw away everything he has in an attempt to maintain power for a rich septuagenarian who has 3 years tops before hypertension takes over.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There's a decent chance Trump has a good 10-20 years of life ahead of him outside of prison since he has access to the best doctors and treatments money can buy even with his absolutely terrible health choices.

He's certainly doing much better cognitively than many of his peers who are in the senate.

In prison though, the stress of that and the much worse medical care available to him will probably kill him much faster unless he makes some major lifestyle changes like losing a ton of weight.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's a decent chance Trump has a good 10-20 years of life ahead of him outside of prison since he has access to the best doctors and treatments money can buy even with his absolutely terrible health choices.

He's certainly doing much better cognitively than many of his peers who are in the senate.

In prison though, the stress of that and the much worse medical care available to him will probably kill him much faster unless he makes some major lifestyle changes like losing a ton of weight.

I suspect Trump would die from the consequences of crippling depression within a year if he were to actually be imprisoned.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not for him. He's far too high profile for the prison system to abuse. He'll be treated like royalty if he even sets foot inside a prison.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't get me wrong I'm sure the guy is a shithead and deserves it but nevertheless this judge man
I'm really struggling to find an alternate explanation beyond "Trump judge racist". Tough to argue it's leadership when he ends up in longer than Nordean and Biggs after they pulled down the fence. Tough to argue it's rhetoric on the front end given everything the others said and Biggs/Nordean's roles in the Ministry of Self Defense. Tough to argue it's post-riot rhetoric when there's been no shortage of inflammatory poo poo by the others. Tough to argue an unwillingness to take responsibility when everyone else narrowly couched their own acceptance too.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

FMguru posted:

:hai:

Dude is 39, so he'll get out of the pen at age 61 or so. 61 years old, no savings, no job skills, high-profile felony record, parents dead, kids all grown up, wife probably left him, friends all moved on - he's got a great life ahead of him.

Yeah on exiting prison in ~2043-2045 he’s going to be way too toxic for left wing mainstream media like Libs of TikTok and will most likely have to go on the usual fringe media circuit killing centre-right RINOs in a coliseum under the watchful gaze of the golden statue that stands in place of our temporarily departed god emperor DJT (may his hairpiece guide and warm us).

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Using solid gold instead of leaf is not the best use of my tax dollars and is why i prefer the bloodsports of Classical Trumpism.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Most of these sentences are probably more like 2-10 years, depending on when Republicans regain the pardon power.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

yronic heroism posted:

Most of these sentences are probably more like 2-10 years, depending on when Republicans regain the pardon power.

If Trump doesn't win next year, they're never getting pardoned. Even then it's iffy on Trump actually doing anything for them. However if Donny loses this time, his hold over the party will be gone by 2028. And it's not like he has an actual protege who will continue his legacy. It's just all grifters trying to steal his grift.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

22 years, probably. :shrug:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Cimber posted:

Not sure what the minimum time served would need to be before parole is an option.
Normally, you have to serve about at least 85% of a federal sentence before any early supervised release*. First Step Act is the relevant law. Participating in stuff like vocational training while being judged low risk and maintaining good behavior lets you earn up to 54 days of credit per year for early release.

Jan 6 insurrectionists are maybe ineligible though, there's a big laundry list of disqualifying crimes, including a bunch of terrorism ones, and they're getting terrorism-related convictions, even without terrorism-related sentencing enhancements. (Also disqualifying: "18 USC Ch 37 §793. Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information")

* there's also separate early release for things like "I have terminal cancer and am on my deathbed"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

in case this isn't a :thejoke: tarrio is the actual leader of the proud boys in case you're wondering why he just got hit harder than anyone else

Paracaidas posted:

I'm really struggling to find an alternate explanation beyond "Trump judge racist". Tough to argue it's leadership when he ends up in longer than Nordean and Biggs after they pulled down the fence. Tough to argue it's rhetoric on the front end given everything the others said and Biggs/Nordean's roles in the Ministry of Self Defense. Tough to argue it's post-riot rhetoric when there's been no shortage of inflammatory poo poo by the others. Tough to argue an unwillingness to take responsibility when everyone else narrowly couched their own acceptance too.

see above

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 6, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
And also said "Do it again" when asked what to do after the J6 riot, so he couldn't even claim "These were my underlings and took things too far"

edit: From the AP story on the sentencing:

“Make no mistake,” Tarrio wrote in one message. “We did this.” In another post as the Proud Boys swarmed the Capitol, Tarrio commanded: “Do what must be done.” In a Proud Boys encrypted group chat later that day someone asked what they should do next. Tarrio responded, “Do it again.”

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 6, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

in case this isn't a :thejoke: tarrio is the actual leader of the proud boys in case you're wondering why he just got hit harder than anyone else

see above
Judge Kelly disagrees, at least to an extent.
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1699174377978298870

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Very on brand for America.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
judge kelly disagreeed with anything that would have increased the sentence. the entire sentencing portion was them admonishing enrico for putting anything in writing, "i disagree with the government's assertion that you should get jail time but here let me read something you said or wrote that i can't just ignore."
seriously reread the whole thing "i disagree that this was terrorism or you were the leader but, 'we *clap* did *clap* this *clap*' is sending you to jail. be smarter next time."
like when a supreme court justice writes "i disagree with your case on these grounds unlike these grounds i would have to agree with"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I agree that he sounds like a brainwormed self-important boomer.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
(PDF)Wifebeating fraudster Jonathan Pierce has filed a change of venue motion for one of his Jan 6 clients to Oxford, MS
Trump will make a similar effort, so it's worth looking at.

First up: It'll be slapped down on first pass. Haldeman (about a presidential staffer's ability to get a fair trial in DC RE watergate obstruction) was clear about the order of operations

quote:

if an impartial jury actually cannot be selected, that fact should become evident at the voir dire. The defendant will then be entitled to any actions necessary to assure that he receives a fair trial.
After voir dire, the motion will actually be reviewed. Pierce, broke grifter that he is (Rittenhouse's mom has openly accused him of fraud with the fundraising before he was turfed off the defense team), is stuck with the three extant surveys (including one by Zogby :lol:) to argue his case. They all purport to show that DC jurors are uniquely biased and have prejudged the cases. It should be noted that the same arguments were used by Oathkeepers and Proud Boys and particularly in the PB case, the trial results work against Pierce and, eventually, Trump. A jury that convicts on some charges and hangs or acquits on others is obviously capable of weighing the evidence presented without being overridden by their pre-conceived notions and personal opinions.

Judges have already poked numerous holes in the survey, both in methodolgy (false binaries and pushpolly language) and noting that the actual results from the surveys do not support a change in venue. From Amy Berman Jackson:

quote:

Yes, 63% of District respondents said [Those who entered the Capitol on Jan 6 are] “likely guilty,” but 61% of Atlanta respondents said the same, and importantly, 33% of District residents said “depends” or “don’t know/refused,” while 30% of Atlanta residents gave that response.
"DC residents are 10% more likely to have not formed an opinion on the guilt or innocence of January 6th defendants, therefore you must move this trial" is not a great argument it turns out.

The majority in Haldeman also did not mince words on the subject, ruling that the trial court did not gently caress up by

quote:

Relying less heavily on a poll taken in private by private pollsters and paid for by one side than on a recorded, comprehensive voir dire examination conducted by the judge in the presence of all parties and their counsel pursuant to procedures, practices and principles developed by the common law since the reign of Henry II.

Trump is, somewhat surprisingly, less penniless than the deeply indebted domestic abuser who filed the motion linked above. He (and ideologically aligned outside organizations) has the resources to field his own survey. Justice has predicted this and raised it during last Monday's hearing with Chutkan. Trump's attorneys acknowledged that they'd Iike to do that nearer the trial date. Recognizing the government's concern (tainting the pool via questionwording, and less explicitly, possibly getting something that better supports a change in venue), Chutkan made clear that Trump cannot field a survey without first having a hearing and getting her approval.

The rest of the filing is a series of irrelevant, PR-focused arguments about how the exclusively urban DC jurists lack diversity, are connected to the federal government (which, apparently, biases them irreparably against the former head of that government?), and were uniquely harmed by Jan 6 in a way that mimics all Oklahomans in the McVeigh case. These have been laughed off by DC judges and SCOTUS has declined to get involved... though Trump is more likely to be heard than Pierce and his clients.

mutata posted:

Yeah, I agree that he sounds like a brainwormed self-important boomer.
:actually:Kelly, born in 69, is Gen X.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

:actually:Kelly, born in 69, is Gen X.

people need to get used to blaming Gen X instead of boomers because we're going to be doing a whole lot of it for the next twenty or thirty years

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Paracaidas posted:

...The rest of the filing is a series of irrelevant, PR-focused arguments about how the exclusively urban DC jurists lack diversity...

Bolding mine. I think we should take a moment to enjoy this irony.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

eke out posted:

people need to get used to blaming Gen X instead of boomers because we're going to be doing a whole lot of it for the next twenty or thirty years

Yeah, unless you're a federal politician Boomers are pretty much old news now. The Children of Reagan are now the Olds to rage against.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Counterpoint: Gen X really hates being called Boomers, so

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CPColin posted:

Counterpoint: Gen X really hates being called Boomers, so

Yeah we really do.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
People keep thinking millennials are college kids or 20's, but no we are firmly in our 30's and early 40's. We're middle management territory now. Well we would be if there was more upward mobility and less economic turmoil for our generation but y'know, thems the times.

I will concede that "Those drat millennials!" Rolls off the tongue better than "Those drat Gen z'rs!"

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Donkringel posted:

People keep thinking millennials are college kids or 20's, but no we are firmly in our 30's and early 40's. We're middle management territory now. Well we would be if there was more upward mobility and less economic turmoil for our generation but y'know, thems the times.

I will concede that "Those drat millennials!" Rolls off the tongue better than "Those drat Gen z'rs!"

It's just "Fuckin' zoomers"

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah, unless you're a federal politician Boomers are pretty much old news now. The Children of Reagan are now the Olds to rage against.

"I guess when all was said and done, I was nothing more than a God-damned, trendy-rear end poser." - Every Gen-Xer

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The only one with multiple felony priors, and the judge held him to be the "ultimate leader" of the seditious conspiracy, and he still got less than the guidelines suggested.

I see what you're saying but I think this one is a clean shoot.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Trump loses again to E. Jean Carroll, and we didn't even need the jury for the verdict. (Just the damages)

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/06/politics/e-jean-carroll-trump-defamation-lawsuit/index.html

Basically: "A jury reached the verdict that the 2022 statements about calling Carroll a liar was defamation, and since that fact has already been established, Trump can't say the 2019 comments (also calling her a liar) wasn't ALSO defamation.

Jury will determine damages:

edit: I wonder if this can go on indefinitely. I know she filed for statements post-verdict. If the same chain is honored in each case, it's a legal endless circle: Trump Lies, Carroll calls it defamatory, Trump Loses, Trump Lies again, rinse and repeat.

It'd be funny if every time through the circle it costs Trump a few million. He could just save time by setting up an account to be debited every time he defames Carroll. If the 5 million per trial in damages continues, gets mighty expensive mighty quick

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 6, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Trump forever re-upping this in the news cycle as much as possible is certainly not doing him any favors.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Name Change posted:

Trump forever re-upping this in the news cycle as much as possible is certainly not doing him any favors.

Just another one on the large and ever-growing pile of "things Trump could have avoided if he could shut the gently caress up for even five consecutive seconds."

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
"Trump not shutting the gently caress up for even five consecutive seconds" is the closest thing to scientific proof that a perpetual motion machine is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

SirFozzie posted:

"Trump not shutting the gently caress up for even five consecutive seconds" is the closest thing to scientific proof that a perpetual motion machine is possible.

I've heard it takes quite a bit of McDonald's and Diet Coke to keep that chatterbox humming, actually