Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Darko posted:

And even though Cal pretty much established he's bonking the last Nightsister, they'll find some other to keep this going.

Morgan’s face when seeing Sabine next to Shin: “I can start a new Coven with this”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They are going to Raiders of the Lost Ark their way there right? With the burnt imprint of the map on Ahsoka's hand?

They need the equipment to do that too.

I'm guessing we get an all Ahsoka episode next week hanging out with you know who, then showing what Sabine is doing and maybe first Thrawn/Ezra, then some way they converge in the next two, then cliffhanger, now.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I need to go back but did he really say,”hello snips”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Is there much from the trailers we haven't seen yet? This episode had the last of the things I really remember from them (outside of a glimpse of Thrawn).

Teek posted:

The map wasn’t on the surface of the sphere, so probably not in that way. But it might have left some kind of Force imprint. More likely she’ll either stay behind, or use the world between worlds to bridge the gap back to the ship, simply because she can, or because of imprinted map knowledge.

I figured it was that because they do love their Indy references (see the opening scene of the first episode and a whole bunch of stuff in the cartoons) and presumably they need to get the Ghost etc there too.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Vintersorg posted:

I need to go back but did he really say,”hello snips”

Yes, and as cheap heat as it was, it completely worked on me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
spoilers are breaking nm

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Im not sure if this is good for the show in general to find a wide audience, but I kind of love how it just unapologetically uses the wildest poo poo from rebels without any build up.

Like here guys, hyperspace whales exist and are central to our plot, or here guys we should probably just plop in some esoteric time and space bending poo poo from the cartoons and fade to black this week

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

GarudaPrime posted:

Im not sure if this is good for the show in general to find a wide audience, but I kind of love how it just unapologetically uses the wildest poo poo from rebels without any build up.

Like here guys, hyperspace whales exist and are central to our plot, or here guys we should probably just plop in some esoteric time and space bending poo poo from the cartoons and fade to black this week

It's going to make the Youtubers go crazy in the next week. The ones speculating or the ones explaining lore will see this as a goldmine and even some of the grifters who whine about female presence in Star Wars will shut up for a week. It's just enough weirdness to help things go viral.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Strategically it was probably good to give a very small dose of anakin and time land this time to ease people in. It's not like there was really enough to it in this episode to criticize one way or another, besides the lovely zoom filter on his face.

I will say even the old EU in all its excesses only really pulled anakin's ghost out one time I'm aware of, in an actually relatively well done epic moment. Feels like breaking the glass and I don't know if this show or this scene will be worth it

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

GarudaPrime posted:

the audience may not have background on the time travel pocket dimension, but there is more than enough visual vocabulary to communicate that she’s in Jedi Heaven.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
If Ahsoka does reach some kind of Force zen after talking with Anakin, then I could see her utilizing the Purgill to get to where they need to go. They’ve set up the Hyperspace whales, surely we have to see them jump at least once.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Also I guess regarding Sabine. Her family did, indeed, die when the Empire glassed Mandalore

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also I guess regarding Sabine. Her family did, indeed, die when the Empire glassed Mandalore

That did explain a lot about her character for me.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is a case where I’m not happy that I called it. :( I hope Ursa and crew went down fighting.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i'm all for the show being dumb as hell in a good way, but we really did not need three plodding episodes to get to this point

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I know fan edits are a joke at this point but it does feel like you could crunch these 4 episodes down into 2 and significantly improve the show in the process

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
High point of this show might really just end up being Hayden Christensen doing an impression of Matt Lanter doing a Hayden Christensen impression that we get next episode.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Slowly getting the gang back together, now bring Zeb and Rex onboard the Ghost.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So at this point they're definitely going to Ride a Purrgil to get to the Far, Far Away Galaxy, right?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dexo posted:

High point of this show might really just end up being Hayden Christensen doing an impression of Matt Lanter doing a Hayden Christensen impression that we get next episode.

It's a safe bet at this point.

Asoka's lightsaber duels here and in Mando leaning heavily into samurai tropes is definitely something I can get behind though.

Gotta hand it to the showrunners though, I don't think anybody called Marrok being a space magic smoke monster

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They got to the fireworks factory.

:emptyquote:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Well that sure was an episode of Star Wars alright. Really good stuff. Filoni dialing this poo poo in, and I expect next week to be nuts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

teagone posted:

Well that sure was an episode of Star Wars alright. Really good stuff. Filoni dialing this poo poo in, and I expect next week to be nuts.
He’s directing next week’s episode so I have to think this is when Thrawn finally appears

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Goddamnit Sabine.

Just pull the loving trigger. That's all you had to do. The gun was already pointing in his direction.

I can see why she did it, but goddamnit.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Halloween Jack posted:

If Heinrich Himmler had miraculously reappeared in the 1950s, having faked his own death and escaped execution, would the former Axis Powers ipso facto unite under his leadership? (Actually, SMG got it right on the nose with the Karl Donitz comparison.)

But from a Soviet perspective this is exactly what happened, just replace Heinrich Himmler with NATO.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Like, let’s break down the plot of Ashoka from the beginning.

After whatever happened in the cartoons, the inciting event of this story is that a witch had a dream. The dream involved the coming of the Imperial Messiah, and was so vivid or powerful that she was compelled to secretly build an intergalactic spaceship. Due to the scale of the spaceship project, evidently, rumours got out - but only involving the identity of the witch and her general goal of ‘finding a guy.’

These rumours somehow reached nomadic mutant adventurer Ashoka Tano, who tracks down the witch to a tiny village on a swamp planet. Tano camps there for some extended period of time, periodically harassing the witch’s mercenary forces before eventually defeating her in a one-on-one duel.

While transporting the defeated witch to the space cops, Tano inflicts pain on the witch to extract the desired information in a way that’s ‘edgy’ but NOT TORTURE so don’t worry about it. (Maybe she just chokes her, nonviolently?) That information turns out to be the general location of a secret map (kept buried in a temple underneath another temple) that charts the migration route of the space whales that the guy was last seen with. The witch’s followers nuke the temple complex, but Tano narrowly escapes and that’s where the narrative begins.

Note: the fact that the witch builds the ship before finding the map, and then attempts to destroy the map, indicates that she has no actual need for it, and may just be sending teams of robots to cover up the existence of the whale route. The alternative is that the witch is dumb.

Note 2: Tano takes a lengthy break before heading out to find the map, chilling with Baby Yoda somewhere.

So, like, you could easily illustrate nearly all of the above with a witch dream sequence. Heck, you can even show Tano’s POV from when she does the not-torture mind extraction technique. The fact that they don’t do something like that is crazy, because a lot of what I just wrote up there is based on a great deal of inference. It also brings in semi-contradictory plot points from two different other shows, and I haven’t even touched on how all the Rebels characters fit in here.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 6, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Oh no, Ahsoka is in hell

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

I know fan edits are a joke at this point but it does feel like you could crunch these 4 episodes down into 2 and significantly improve the show in the process

I liked the 3 minutes we spent establishing an assassin droid watching Ahsoka and Sabine, cutting to Baylan saying “they aren’t going to have much trouble with the droids” and then cutting back to a little action sequence where they indeed don’t have much trouble with the assassin droids. Just textbook tension-building.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Certainly baylan in this episode seems to think that destroying the map means it's impossible to get to the other galaxy. So their willingness to risk that with a nuke does seem to elevate the dumb possibility

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

This week Hera goes off on her own (bringing her son with her for some reason), Sabine finally Mandos up, Rock ‘em Sock ‘’em Robots: Star Wars Edition, the gang at last meet their pursuers, and a wild Hayden Christensen appears

I will continue to think this show is good

Some drat good star wars.

Loved Hera giving Jacen the jump.

The mixed fighting of Huyang, the scout droid, the mercenaries, Sabine, and Ahsoka was rad.

And yeah I heard it as "Hey snips"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So at this point they're definitely going to Ride a Purrgil to get to the Far, Far Away Galaxy, right?

No, they're going to do a riff on the asteroid slug and be eaten by one.

Anyway, first decent episode. Still ploddingly placed in the dialogue scenes but at least something happened finally.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 6, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

site posted:

e: why did they have Zeb hanging out with Carson in Mando but then not have him show up with Phoenix Squadron here? shameful

Was Zeb that much of a fighter pilot? He always seemed more of a support fighter.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Zeb is off grabbing his bf Kallus obviously

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Did they digitally de-age Hayden? He looks weird. He’s a ghost or something anyway, just let him be 40.

One of the few wise decisions made with Obi-Wan was not going the de-aging route with him in those flashback scenes.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 6, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
ride those space whale fuckers 1980s Dune style. She has the space suit.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
That was thoroughly entertaining and there's some interesting lore / character directions happening finally.

Marsupial Ape posted:

ride those space whale fuckers 1980s Dune style. She has the space suit.

Rosario Dawson in front of a green screen recreating the performance of Kyle MacLachlan in 1984's Dune.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

...because a lot of what I just wrote up there is based on a great deal of inference.

I have nothing to add.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

mllaneza posted:

Goddamnit Sabine.

Just pull the loving trigger. That's all you had to do. The gun was already pointing in his direction.

I can see why she did it, but goddamnit.

I mean, this is one of the most cliched writing tropes in the history of fiction at this point. It would be legitimately revolutionary for it to go the other way. Especially after they had Ahsoka multiple times say "now Sabine, don't you eat those cookies" to open the episode

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My biggest/only complaint about the fights was Sabine’s helmet getting knocked off so laughably easy

Katee Sackhoff and Pedro Pascal have both spoken about "helmet acting" in interviews, it seems like Natasha Liu Bordizzo might not be that much of a "helmet actress", and they seem to be finding whatever excuse to keep her helmet off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

They're going to pull Anakin out of the Force and he's going to lead the next phase of movies.