Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Phanatic posted:

Note that that's not quite true. For acute situations, yes, but if you're chronically hypoxic your body switches mechanisms and does start measuring O2 levels via chemoreceptors in your central arteries for respiratory drive. You'll notice this if you go take a trip to a high enough altitude, you will definitely start to feel short of breath until you acclimate to the altitude even though the CO2 levels in your blood are normal. Athsmatics are another case where the respiratory drive is driven by hypoxia instead of hypercapnia. But it takes longer than a few minutes for that to happen.

Neat, didn't know that. Most of my knowledge on the matter comes from caving and diving, with some stuff thrown in from pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Busket Posket posted:

Mea culpa! I was picturing a “we couldn’t figure out how to do an IV right, so we’re probably going to very much gently caress up this ‘humane’ execution in some horrific way” situation. But I didn’t make that clear, so the corrections were well-deserved!

To be fair, they could just use a tank of CO2 instead of a tank of Nitrogen. That would not surprise me in the least.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
With loving up lethal injections, they at least have the fig leaf of blaming it on the drugs/route of administration/administrating physician/etc for torturing people. With CO2, it would almost certainly go to the supreme court as a lawsuit for torturing someone to death.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Phanatic posted:

I oppose the death penalty, but nitrogen hypoxia doesn't leave you struggling to breathe in anguish for several minutes. What acutely triggers your "holy poo poo I can't breathe" reflex isn't the level of O2 in your blood, but the level of CO2. That's one of the reason why oxygen-poor environments like caves or sealed-up chain lockers kill people: they don't feel any different or notice anything wrong until they don't have enough O2 in their blood to stay conscious, and then they just go down, and so does the person who climbs in after them to carry them out.

Reminds me of the Lake Nyos disaster - scary poo poo how CO2 can take so many people out so quickly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos_disaster

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I find it unnerving how much « humane » execution seems to focus on being humane to the executioner.

I agree nitrogen hypoxia seems like the best way to go if you insist on executing people. But like, I’d much rather the guillotine or the ol’ Vasiliy Blokhin treatment over risking lethal injection or hanging. Those former are near instant and painless but thing is, they’re gory and might make the executioner/viewers feel bad.

Execution is hosed up is what I’m saying

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

some people definitely deserve to die and I have no problem acknowledging that, but anyone living in America with functioning eyes and ears should know that the justice system absolutely cannot be trusted to convict the right people or mete out punishments appropriately. especially if you read this thread, lol. it's not even close to good enough to do anything that can't be reversed

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
but bible say eye for eye

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

some people definitely deserve to die and I have no problem acknowledging that, but anyone living in America with functioning eyes and ears should know that the justice system absolutely cannot be trusted to convict the right people or mete out punishments appropriately.

No justice system can guarantee perfect justice, hence it's better to let someone live who might really deserve death than to risk killing someone who is innocent.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pope Hilarius II posted:

No justice system can guarantee perfect justice, hence it's better to let someone live who might really deserve death than to risk killing someone who is innocent.

yes that is the point I was making. we're talking about the American justice system specifically in the context of this conversation, so that's why I referred to the American justice system specifically in my post

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I find it unnerving how much « humane » execution seems to focus on being humane to the executioner.

Execution is hosed up is what I’m saying
Yes, this. The standard injection formula contains a paralytic so the executioner won't be distressed by dying struggles.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Leviathan Song posted:

To be fair, they could just use a tank of CO2 instead of a tank of Nitrogen. That would not surprise me in the least.

The thing about nitrogen is that it is cheap, plentiful, and harmless. The air is already over 70% nitrogen. If your nitrogen tank springs a leak you can just open a window. It is manufactured in large amounts for divers and science guys who want to dip things in liquid nitrogen.

Carbon monoxide is just as good at killing people, but is dangerous to everyone in the area it is being used. Just like cyanide gas, where they had to have the prisoner sit in a specially vented box because it was so dangerous.

Trying to do the old switcharoo with other toxic gasses would either be more expensive or more dangerous to the guards themselves.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
the guy they're gonna asphyxiate:
https://caselaw.findlaw.com/court/al-court-of-criminal-appeals/1095402.html

quote:

The State's evidence tended to show the following.   On March 18, 1988, the Reverend Charles Sennett, a minister in the Church of Christ, discovered the body of his wife, Elizabeth Dorlene Sennett, in their home on Coon Dog Cemetery Road in Colbert County.   The coroner testified that Elizabeth Sennett had been stabbed eight times in the chest and once on each side of the neck, and had suffered numerous abrasions and cuts.   It was the coroner's opinion that Sennett died of multiple stab wounds to the chest and neck.

The evidence established that Charles Sennett had recruited Billy Gray Williams,2 who in turn recruited Smith and John Forrest Parker,3 to kill his wife.   He was to pay them each $1,000 in cash for killing Mrs. Sennett.   There was testimony that Charles Sennett was involved in an affair, that he had incurred substantial debts, that he had taken out a large insurance policy on his wife, and that approximately one week after the murder, when the murder investigation started to focus on him as a suspect, Sennett committed suicide.

quote:

“John and I got to the Sennett house around 9:30, I think.   I parked at the back of the house near a little patio that led into the house.   I went to a door to the left of the car.   I think there was a white freezer nearby.   I knocked on the door and Mrs. Sennett came to the door.   I told Mrs. Sennett that her husband had told us that we could come down and look around the property to see about hunting on it.   Mrs. Sennett asked my name.   I told her I was Kenny Smith.   She went to the phone and called her husband and came back and told us it was okay to look around.

“John and I looked around the property for a while then came back to the house.   John and I went back to the door.   We told Mrs. Sennett we needed to use the bathroom and she let us inside.

“I went to the bathroom nearest the kitchen and then John went to the bathroom.   I stood at the edge of the kitchen talking with Mrs. Sennett.   Mrs. Sennett was sitting at a chair in the den.   Then I heard John coming through the house.   John walked up behind Mrs. Sennett and started hitting her.   John was hitting her with his fist. I started getting the VCR while John was beating Mrs. Sennett.   John hit Mrs. Sennett with a large cane and anything else he could get his hands on.   John went into a frenzy.   Mrs. Sennett was yelling just stop, we could have anything we wanted.

“As John was beating up Mrs. Sennett, I messed up some things in the house to make it look like a burglary.   I took the VCR out to the car.

The last place I saw Mrs. Sennett she was lying near the fireplace covered with some kind of blanket.   I had gone outside to look in the storage buildings when I saw John run out to the pond and throw some things in it.   I also took a small stereo from the house-‘also,’ is the last word.

Smith's defense was that he was only there to merely beat her and steal stuff while Parker committed the murder.

In Parker's separate trial his statement was mostly the same except he said Smith sharpened the knife on the drive over and then "did all the stabbing" while he merely held her down with a chair and beat her with a pipe, his defense was also that he was merely there to beat her and steal stuff, he was executed in 2010.
https://murderpedia.org/male.P/p1/parker-john-forrest.htm

Apparently they spent at least a week trying to get a gun and the morning of the murder asked a friend if they knew where to get a gun because they were going to murder someone for money. Also they'd used the advance money they got for a gun to buy some kind of painkiller called Pentazocine to get high with instead.

And the dipshit husband's fate:
https://www.al.com/news/2022/11/former-sheriff-recalls-womans-horrific-murder-for-hire-by-pastor-as-alabama-prepares-execution.html

quote:

And later May said he realized he had actually met Charles Sennett Sr. just weeks before the murder.

May said he had been working on another murder case – the shooting death of a service station owner near Cherokee - several weeks earlier. Investigators were in the store when he happened to look up and saw a rescue squad member (Sennett) who was following him around, he said.

May said he had to ask the man to leave, but he kept coming back inside the store. He said he speculated Sennett was trying to check out what investigators would look at in order to stage a crime scene.

The suspects’ names came up from a call to CrimeStoppers, May said. After that call, investigators got the pastor back in for an interview for “the better part of hour and he denied and denied,” he said.

Finally, Sennett got up to leave the interrogation room but stopped in the doorway when someone in the room wondered out loud whether they thought Sennett knew Kenny Smith, May said. “He (Sennett) went beet red,” he said.

Immediately after that interview Sennett went straight to the home by the church where his sons and their families had gathered, May said. “He admitted to them that he had an affair … (and) he was responsible for their mother’s death,” he said.

After telling his family, he walked outside to his old pickup truck, got in the front seat, and shot himself, said May, who rode to the hospital in the ambulance in hopes of getting Sennett to talk. He never responded and was declared dead at the hospital, he said.

3 to 4 people dead for all of $2000 split two ways and a VCR.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Post-appeal, but I briefly defended a guy who murdered a cab driver for about $75.

He rejected the life-with-chance-of-parole deal I got him, and decided to take his chances with a habeas appeal (which I told him had a less than 10% chance of success). He got life without parole.

I suppose had he been clever enough to take the deal, he would have been clever enough not to murder the guy in the first place. And/or not to leave highly incriminating evidence at the scene.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

The thing about nitrogen is that it is cheap, plentiful, and harmless. The air is already over 70% nitrogen. If your nitrogen tank springs a leak you can just open a window. It is manufactured in large amounts for divers and science guys who want to dip things in liquid nitrogen.

Carbon monoxide is just as good at killing people, but is dangerous to everyone in the area it is being used. Just like cyanide gas, where they had to have the prisoner sit in a specially vented box because it was so dangerous.

Trying to do the old switcharoo with other toxic gasses would either be more expensive or more dangerous to the guards themselves.

Carbon dioxide is also cheap and plentiful and bottled in large amounts for the brewing and welding industries. It's more expensive than nitrogen but not only like 4 times as expensive, probably an extra couple hundred dollars per execution. It'd be a little more risky for the guards but the previously mentioned suffocation reaction would let them know there is a problem long before they were in any real danger.

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Phanatic posted:

Note that that's not quite true. For acute situations, yes, but if you're chronically hypoxic your body switches mechanisms and does start measuring O2 levels via chemoreceptors in your central arteries for respiratory drive. You'll notice this if you go take a trip to a high enough altitude, you will definitely start to feel short of breath until you acclimate to the altitude even though the CO2 levels in your blood are normal. Athsmatics are another case where the respiratory drive is driven by hypoxia instead of hypercapnia. But it takes longer than a few minutes for that to happen.

It has been...a long time since I had any EMS training, so I could be wrong, but dragging up 12+year old memories: use of high-flow oxygen is generally contraindicated for patients with COPD, at least in prehospital settings, even if the patient is cyanotic. This is because the nature of the damage COPD causes the lungs over time results in a chronic state of hypercapnia, and the body gradually gets desensitized and stops responding to elevated CO2 levels. As a result, a sudden, drastic spike in oxygenation levels can suppress any hypoxic respiratory drive and send the patient into respiratory depression or arrest, in addition to loving with their blood chemistry in a way that a humble medic like myself doesn't understand.

Considering that in 99% of other situations the EMT-B level answer is "give them plenty of oxygen while taking them to the hospital" it's kind of freaky that there's one particular situation where the answer is "no, not this patient, giving them too much oxygen will make them stop breathing entirely".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The thing about nitrogen is that it is cheap, plentiful, and harmless. The air is already over 70% nitrogen.

Nitrogen has a narcotic effect even at STP!

TorpedoFish posted:

It has been...a long time since I had any EMS training, so I could be wrong, but dragging up 12+year old memories: use of high-flow oxygen is generally contraindicated for patients with COPD, at least in prehospital settings, even if the patient is cyanotic. This is because the nature of the damage COPD causes the lungs over time results in a chronic state of hypercapnia, and the body gradually gets desensitized and stops responding to elevated CO2 levels. As a result, a sudden, drastic spike in oxygenation levels can suppress any hypoxic respiratory drive and send the patient into respiratory depression or arrest, in addition to loving with their blood chemistry in a way that a humble medic like myself doesn't understand.

That used to be the interpretation of what's going on, that the body of a COPD sufferer gets desensitized to hypercapnia and stops using that for respiratory drive. Current thinking about why supplementary O2 is bad is that in a COPD patient there's a reflex vasoconstriction that's acting to shunt bloodflow away from damaged alveoli to healthy ones, and when you give them O2 you reverse that vasoconstriction and their bodies start perfusing all the damaged parts of the lungs that just don't work and PaCO2 increases.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Updates on this, he's being held on a $3m bond and they're investigating potential links to another woman who went missing:
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article278083392.html

quote:

After the bond hearing, Leuty Winningham said Crosdale had visited Haslett’s home, saying there was surveillance video to support that. She said the two met for consensual sex. She declined further questions on the facts of the case Monday.

Prosecutors, meanwhile, have said the investigation is a “dynamic” one that is building at a “rapid pace.” Prosecuting Attorney Zachary Thompson accompanied Missouri State Highway Patrol investigators on Tuesday amid a search of the river for additional evidence in the investigation of Crosdale’s death.

quote:

Part of the investigation involves a set of blue barrels found at Haslett’s home during a three-day search of the property in October. Dull described the one Crosdale’s body was located in as similar.

The barrels in question, Dull said, have rubber seals on top and appear to be advertised for commercial uses, such as storing solvents and petroleum products. He said they do not look like the ones “you typically see” at a hardware store.

“The fact that she was found in a blue barrel that is very similar to the blue barrels that he had on his property, and the fact that she was there at his property, we would be remiss if we didn’t look at him as a potential suspect,” Dull said.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
…discovered the body of his wife, Elizabeth Dorlene Sennett, in their home on Coon Dog Cemetery Road in Colbert County.

Now that’s an address for a murder

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

…discovered the body of his wife, Elizabeth Dorlene Sennett, in their home on Coon Dog Cemetery Road in Colbert County.

Now that’s an address for a murder

On Booger Tree, Alabama:

"Finally, Winston County hosts a community with a most unique name- Booger Tree. The community itself is actually centered around the old Walker's Chapel Church of Christ, and while that is probably the "real" name of the area, I lived many years in the area and never heard it called anything but Booger Tree. In fact, I have actually saw maps with the community listed as Booger Tree and never as Walker's Chapel. The old Walker's Chapel Church building no longer stands, but there is a small cemetery, mainly made up of graves from the Kidd family dating primarily in the 1920s and 1930s at the intersection of Macedonia and Jessie Davis roads. The story most often associated with Booger Tree is that one of the trees in the vicinity of the cemetery was once the site of a hanging. No documented evidence that such ever took place has ever been produced, still the name itself- "Booger Tree" has forever been stuck to the area. Still numerous undocumented hangings unquestionably took place during the Civil War era, and this area was well settled during that time period, so it is not entirely impossible that this story could be somewhat rooted in truth."

Regarding "numerous undocumented hangings unquestionably taking place": You may have never heard of Booger Tree, Alabama, but you may have heard of The Republic of Winston, an area in Alabama that resisted Confederate rule during the US civil war, later contributing men to the Union's 1st Alabama Cavalry Regiment, raised in Huntsville with men from N. Alabama, Western Tennessee, and the greater Mid-South region.

Not unnerving in and of itself, but I'm sure there is room for some spooky/unnerving stories to be written about ol' Booger Tree.

Ok, I really just like bringing up Booger Tree. It's loving funny, it's real, and it's my friend.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

The story most often associated with Booger Tree is that one of the trees in the vicinity of the cemetery was once the site of a hanging. No documented evidence that such ever took place has ever been produced, still the name itself- "Booger Tree" has forever been stuck to the area. Still numerous undocumented hangings unquestionably took place during the Civil War era, and this area was well settled during that time period, so it is not entirely impossible that this story could be somewhat rooted in truth."

It's the South? With a history that dates back before the 1950s? Has a hanging legend of a visible-to-the-public tree but no documentation?

Sounds like a lynching took place there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While reading the Trump thread(the good one in gbs), someone mentioned a cesium-137 incident in Brazil while discussing the "this was not a place of honor" radioactive waste warning message thing and whether we should bother trying to warn future societies at all about the dangers of it rather than simply trying to hide it altogether. So I looked it up, and yeah the Goiânia accident is a very good example of what happens if you don't keep radioactive materials out of the hands of people who have no idea about radioactive materials. Warning, the Wikipedia article is detailed and tragic.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Captain Invictus posted:

While reading the Trump thread(the good one in gbs), someone mentioned a cesium-137 incident in Brazil while discussing the "this was not a place of honor" radioactive waste warning message thing and whether we should bother trying to warn future societies at all about the dangers of it rather than simply trying to hide it altogether. So I looked it up, and yeah the Goiânia accident is a very good example of what happens if you don't keep radioactive materials out of the hands of people who have no idea about radioactive materials. Warning, the Wikipedia article is detailed and tragic.

The little girl is the one that gets me. I think about her quite often since reading about this incident a few years ago.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Still the worst civilian nuclear disaster outside of Chernobyl right?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

The junkyard became an empty lot filled with concrete, untouched to this day.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/KDGhMFAo74yTn2YH9

EDIT: Just noticed the Philoctetes grafitti. Greek mythical hero who was poisoned and abandoned, though eventually came back for the Trojan War.

Negostrike has a new favorite as of 13:43 on Sep 19, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HopperUK posted:

The little girl is the one that gets me. I think about her quite often since reading about this incident a few years ago.
yeah, that hosed me right up when I got to that part of the page. and of course the guy involved in spreading it around amongst friends and family drank himself to death from crippling depression and guilt, and I don't blame him. how could he have known this tiny amount of curiously beautiful blue glowing granules would kill his wife and niece and infect many others?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Captain Invictus posted:

Sometimes, even when the people do have an idea about radioactive materials. Here's one where a trained engineer defeated multiple safety interlocks, somehow Indiana-Jonesing himself over a big pressure plate, and wound up cooking himself with an industrial sterilization source of 760 kilocuries of cobalt-60:

https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1010_web.pdf

Here's a case where a source for industrial weld radiography broke off and dropped out of its transport cannister and some poor bastard saw it laying on the ground and picked it up and put it in his pocket.

https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1101_web.pdf

And here's the one where some guys who went out into the woods to cut firewood found a couple of strontium-90 sources from old Soviet RTGs and decided to set their campsite up next to them because they were warm:

https://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/Pub1660web-81061875.pdf

All of these are very clinical and contain photos, so be aware.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I don't want to follow the links because squeamish. Was the first guy trying to commit suicide?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I don't want to follow the links because squeamish. Was the first guy trying to commit suicide?

Nope he wanted to remove an obstruction on a conveyer belt :psyduck:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Tenkaris posted:

Nope he wanted to remove an obstruction on a conveyer belt :psyduck:

:dogstare:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

quote:

1.1. BACKGROUND TO THE ACCIDENT

On 26 October 1991, a radiological accident occurred in an irradiation facility in the town of Nesvizh, about 120 km from Minsk, Belarus. A variety of agricultural and medical products are sterilized at the facility by means of an internal transport system that passes them, in a controlled manner, close to an intensely radioactive Co source in a moveable rack. Following a jam in the product transport system, the operator entered the facility to clear the fault; at this point, the source is thought to have been in the safe position. However, on entering the facility the operator bypassed a number of safety features and left the controls in a position such that exposure was imminent.

At some stage, the source rack became exposed and the operator was irradiated for about 1 minute. He suddenly felt unwell and then noticed the source rack in the irradiation position. The accident was quickly reported to the authorities and the operator was taken into medical care, first in Nesvizh and Minsk, and then for specialized treatment in Moscow. It was estimated that he had received a whole body dose of 11 Gy, with localized areas of up to 20 Gy. Despite intensive medical treat-ment, he died 113 days later.

lol dude was determined

quote:

The next safety feature he would have encountered was the pressure plate in the floor, and it is difficult to envisage how he could have avoided stepping on this. Subsequent tests showed that the pressure plate was in correct working order (tested 25 times) and that it was impossible to jump over it (its position prevented a possible run-up).

Theoretically, it would be possible, but extremely difficult, to cross the pressure plate using the product transport system. This could not have been done while holding a dose rate monitor and there would have been no reason to attempt such a move because of the danger involved.

Also I am a child and giggled at this:

quote:

After about 1 minute, he developed an acute headache and pain in his joints and gonads.

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Sep 20, 2023

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

Also I am a child and giggled at this:

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Today's AskAManager column reminded me of this horrifying Reddit post from 2018, wherein the comments section taught me more about rabies than I'd ever care to know. And now all bats are my enemies.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

emo-ignorance posted:

Today's AskAManager column reminded me of this horrifying Reddit post from 2018, wherein the comments section taught me more about rabies than I'd ever care to know. And now all bats are my enemies.

Thinking about that comic with the dog sitting in a burning room and being like "this is fine" but instead of flames it's bats.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BrianRx posted:

Thinking about that comic with the dog sitting in a burning room and being like "this is fine" but instead of flames it's bats.

Pretty sure this is just Batman.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

We don't have rabies in the UK and bats are intensely protected. Like if you find bats nesting on a construction site, construction has to stop. It's fascinating to see how they're treated elsewhere.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

We don't have rabies in the UK and bats are intensely protected. Like if you find bats nesting on a construction site, construction has to stop. It's fascinating to see how they're treated elsewhere.

They still have to humanely remove and relocate the bats in the US. More than half of species are federally protected.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

HopperUK posted:

Rabies does exist in the UK, but it's rare. Most of the animals it's endemic to don't live there, but it can still be spread.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Bats are cool, I deal with caves somewhat frequently and have to basically hazmat up though.

Packrats are worse in about every way imo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Rabies does exist in the UK, but it's rare. Most of the animals it's endemic to don't live there, but it can still be spread.
At this point, we have large populations of multiple wild animals that can carry rabies, which is why we're ruthless about it. The CDC's list is "raccoons, skunks, bats, and foxes." (and of course domesticated animals!) "at least 7 out of 10 Americans who die from rabies in the US were infected by bats. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

emo-ignorance posted:

Agghhhhh was there ever a follow up to that reddit post?