Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

And it's retroactively an even better joke because Ringo announced he would no longer respond to fan mail 10 or 15 years ago.

he was known for answering fan mail. hence the simpsons episode and the video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i ung it on me wall

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
His "Gear!" Reaction when he first sees Marge's painting is also excellent

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I’m 99% sure I learned that fries were called chips in England from Ringo in that episode.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Whenever Bojack Horseman is suggested to someone, I feel that it needs a disclaimer, more than any other show, that the first episode is dreadful and you have to slog few a few mediocre episodes before it gets good. It starts out as the laziest kind of Family Guy ripoff. By episode 8 it's a very different show. I think this may have been an intentional bait-and-switch.

pretty dumb move on their part. i did not last longer with that show than that loving stupid episode with the muffins

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Meh, I disagree. Where it begins is kind of needed to get the full impact once you know what's really going on. It's not as big of a shock since nobody's treating the show like family guy, but there are also a lot of callbacks and setups you wouldn't expect on top of almost everything having multiple levels of meaning

vvv:
Correct, sometimes things take time. Hell, it took your mother 9 months just to make a joke :v:

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 6, 2023

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Ah the old "it gets better once you've invested 20 hours of your life into it".

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
To be honest, I don't think the early episodes of Bojack are even that bad. It's different, but it's not as jarring a change as Simpsons from seasons 1 to 2.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

"Adult" animation

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think Bojack is simultaneously an extremely difficult watch at times - especially if you yourself are not in a good place - and one of the best treatments of mental illness I've ever seen in popular culture. It makes jokes at the right time but also takes itself deadly serious on multiple occasions without ever becoming too pathetic. Ideally, you understand the characters without identifying with them. It can be very coarse but also a lot of fun, especially if you like stupid animal puns. I heavily recommend it with an equally heavy asterisk.

bojack is genuinely one of the most fascinating shows. i've never seen a show that manages to mesh its fairly unique brand of "stupid humor" (and i say that in the best possible way) with gut punching drama. i've said before, it's like an adult version of Cow and Chicken. it's all the more amazing because it handles both extremes very well. when the show wants to be absurd, it goes absurd, and when it wants to go heavy, it goes HEAVY. the comedic portions never undercut or ruin the somber and serious ones. there's few if any shows i can think of that can do something similar.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

To be honest, I don't think the early episodes of Bojack are even that bad. It's different, but it's not as jarring a change as Simpsons from seasons 1 to 2.

:same:

i'll actually go a step further and say i think seasons 1/2 are quite GOOD, actually :colbert:

Beartaco posted:

Darkest season was the one with Hollyhock and Bojacks mother. The final season was a merry jaunt comparatively.

for me, i'd give the nod to the one was with bojack and his ex's daughter. felt it was a bit of a turning point in the series where i went from "drat, this show's a lot more dramatic than i thought" to "holy poo poo...this took a turn"

definitely agree that s6 was shockingly not anywhere near as shocking as any of the prior ones

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 7, 2023

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/thesimpsons/status/1701634381947773282?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw
stop stop it’s already dead, my eyes the goggles do nothing, ow my freaking ears, etc.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

emgeejay posted:

https://twitter.com/thesimpsons/status/1701634381947773282?s=46&t=m6fGiglUP1-mz5m0sRqpiw
stop stop it’s already dead, my eyes the goggles do nothing, ow my freaking ears, etc.

One fascinating part of the modern show is the total lack of serious criticism and episode reviews when compared with the classics, to the point where Homer at the Bat gets the anniversary celebrated by ESPN but when I try to find real reviews of 34 eps I mostly learn two Simpsons wikis are in a vandalization feud.

So anyhoo we need a volunteer to watch the new eps & report back. I’d do it but I don’t like the new Simpsons.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Please retire Julie I’m begging you

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

when I try to find real reviews of 34 eps I mostly learn two Simpsons wikis are in a vandalization feud.

Flashbacks of the Silent Hill wiki.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

emgeejay posted:

God, the animation is so sterile and stiff :gonk:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

hatty posted:

Please retire Julie I’m begging you

Mr. Burns & Wiggum also sound way off, and can tell Homer’s voice is on its way out. What is there even left to say anymore?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Bart and Lisa sound okay?

Sgt. Goku
Sep 29, 2007

"Thank you!"
For the most part I like Bojack Horseman, but it is possibly the most navel-gazing view into depression I've ever witnessed stretched across six seasons.

That being said, I do like the silent episodes, like that one where he goes on an underwater adventure or something.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

so this might be one of those things i remember seeing but somehow forgot due to the passage of time and lol oldness :corsair: but russi taylor died....FOUR YEARS AGO?

did they write off martin out of the show?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

so this might be one of those things i remember seeing but somehow forgot due to the passage of time and lol oldness :corsair: but russi taylor died....FOUR YEARS AGO?

did they write off martin out of the show?
Martin was canonically revealed to be a fully grown adult man in season 34
https://twitter.com/nanglish/status/1579271623747596288?s=46&t=UJHgYfBQiEwp_jEEieywWg

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

apparently it’s not canon, it’s an episode where the premise is that the show is ‘hacked’ and proceed to play shocking or terrible moments that are made up. but they also play some moments from episodes considered weird or bad like the jockey episode, so who knows what they’re trying to do.

I guess it’s never really stated one way or another that the clips are definitely fake or not. if they aren’t then lenny is also just a figment of carl’s imagination

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
That's what ruins the Simpsons for her? Not the 2.5 decades of bad writing and unfunny jokes? But one character being retconned? The entire show has been retconned at this point. I mean homer grew up in the 90s now apparently

Anyone still watching the show has to have accepted all that stuff by now

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I don’t personally have a problem with retconning when the characters grew up / what wars the vets fought in / what decade it is currently in the show. For a show with characters who don’t age, the only options are: the show perpetually takes place in the 90s, or the time period is always shifting.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Or they could cancel it and move on to new shows idk just spitballing here

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cosmik Debris posted:

That's what ruins the Simpsons for her? Not the 2.5 decades of bad writing and unfunny jokes? But one character being retconned?

That's what passes for entertainment these days? Woozle wuzzle??

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Uhhh...counterpoint: I didn't do it

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.

emgeejay posted:

Martin was canonically revealed to be a fully grown adult man in season 34
https://twitter.com/nanglish/status/1579271623747596288?s=46&t=UJHgYfBQiEwp_jEEieywWg
If only Martin hadn't been so greedy when he invested that $10 in the futures market and went all-in on soy.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Next year Marge will have been born in the 1990s, and my mind can’t wrap itself around that. Martin can be an undercover cop who pretends to be a child; that’s fine. To me it seems an awful lot less weird

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I think that feeling is compounded by the fact that Marge and Homer never “read” as characters in their 30s, at least to me. They always came across as characters in their 40s.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Looking forward to the eventual update of Homer and Marge's love story where they both swiped right on not Tinder followed by Homer struggling to make due as a bitcoin miner.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Homer is a struggling tik tok-er who meets Marge when he smears donut frosting all over her dress for a prank video.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Bart's gender reveal party starts the Springfield tire fire.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Halisnacks posted:

I think that feeling is compounded by the fact that Marge and Homer never “read” as characters in their 30s, at least to me. They always came across as characters in their 40s.

I think part of this is just how much that stage in life has shifted since the early 90's. 40 is the new 30, or whatever. Another one of the ways that the good seasons are neat little time capsules.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

I just can't get over how the characters all sound like they're being voiced by 70+ year olds.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Which I suppose makes Frank Welker's 50-plus-year-run as Fred Jones all the more remarkable.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Goku lady has been doing shonen battle acreams for over thirty years now and she's still got it well into her 80s

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Keromaru5 posted:

Which I suppose makes Frank Welker's 50-plus-year-run as Fred Jones all the more remarkable.

I never realized Fred had a surname.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Late, but Homer's Odyssey kinda feels like something out of Bojack Horseman and not the Simpsons

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Just got past the awful Musk episode on my watch, and I've noticed the next two episodes have both talked about Musk wrecking the plant? So weird to start adding continuity to the storylines half way through Season 26.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Annabel Pee posted:

Just got past the awful Musk episode on my watch, and I've noticed the next two episodes have both talked about Musk wrecking the plant? So weird to start adding continuity to the storylines half way through Season 26.

There was also that period of time where Barney was sober.