Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The analysis and dialogue around this show (and a few others as well like the Lord of the rings show and The Witcher) has unfortunately become yet another battleground in the culture wars. So anytime there is criticism or defense of a certain aspect of the show, it's easy for people to assume that others disagreeing with him is being done in bad faith.

It's a shame too because these shows really are great for analysis and discussion but that gets sidetracked a lot because people are either wanting to score points for their side or assuming the same of others when it's not true. I will say, the Lord of the rings show is way worse in this regard but it's still pretty evident with WoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

In the books a warder who has lost his AS was given constant surveillance, training, mounted, and given out again if that was all successful.

Can't remember if this means hosed into submission by a green, or something else.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

The analysis and dialogue around this show (and a few others as well like the Lord of the rings show and The Witcher) has unfortunately become yet another battleground in the culture wars. So anytime there is criticism or defense of a certain aspect of the show, it's easy for people to assume that others disagreeing with him is being done in bad faith.

It's a shame too because these shows really are great for analysis and discussion but that gets sidetracked a lot because people are either wanting to score points for their side or assuming the same of others when it's not true. I will say, the Lord of the rings show is way worse in this regard but it's still pretty evident with WoT.

It's just funny to compare how genial book discussion is usually in this thread.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Grundulum posted:

The bond isn’t broken, though. Moiraine masked it before she was shielded (this is the story I’m sticking to…) and she can no longer access the Source to unmask it.
We’ve seen stilling (technically gentling, but it’s the same thing) last season with Logain and we’ve seen shielding this season (Liandrin vs Nynaeve). The special effects of Ishamael‘s weaves looked quite similar to Liandrin’s weaves, just an order of magnitude more complex and completely different in every respect to the weaves against Logain.

I would be extremely disappointed if she was actually stilled.

A book question with regards to that: can stilled people see weaves? Because Moiraine apparently still can (at least it looked like that in the fight vs the Myrdraal).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

When Nyneave is healing Siuan and Leanne I think it's mentioned that they can't see the weaves.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Stilled/gentled channelers can sense the source but can't embrace it

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
There's no way Rosamund Pike got a producer credit and made a multi-season commitment moving her family to Prague or wherever to not have magical CGI powers on TV for very long.

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

So much of the character design is so good. The costumes are generally great- really cool designs, use of different colors and fabrics etc. But the glaring exception for me is the great serpent ring. It's just so huge and awful and has no reason to be. Every time I see one on screen I cringe.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

We haven't seen Galad yet (though he's been cast; "Callum Kerr" is no Timotheé Chalamet but he'll do for the insanely pretty Galad) so there's still a chance for Mat to run into him and Gawyn

Edit: though I guess it loses something if Mat isn't near- death when he does it :(

He looks near death to me as long as he’s wearing that dirty rear end bathrobe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hexel posted:

He looks near death to me as long as he’s wearing that dirty rear end bathrobe.

That's going to the be the best moment of the show: the second Mat puts on something else other than that ratty rear end housecoat he's been wearing for six months now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What I regret that we won't get is Mat eating the entire contents of the Tar Valon storehouses in a single amoebic engulfment and burping and scrabbling in the cracks for more

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Stilled/gentled channelers can sense the source but can't embrace it

I feel like this is incorrect. They keep on mentioning a void or emptiness. Les Therin (Rand's outlet for his emotional thoughts) rants about it disappearing when they're in Far Madding.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Shageletic posted:

I feel like this is incorrect. They keep on mentioning a void or emptiness. Les Therin (Rand's outlet for his emotional thoughts) rants about it disappearing when they're in Far Madding.

Far Madding isn't like stilling, it's like being in a stedding.

As far as my original comment, here's my source:
https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Severing#:~:text=Stilling%20is%20the%20process%20by,it%2C%20

quote:

A stilled woman cans sense the source, but not touch it, (TWoRJTWoT, Ch. 2)

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 6, 2023

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They managed to make Nynaeve dues ex machina to heal everything in the world but couldn’t figure out how to bring people back from the dead. Guess Rand will just need to start pulling people from other dimensions instead.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Data Graham posted:

What I regret that we won't get is Mat eating the entire contents of the Tar Valon storehouses in a single amoebic engulfment and burping and scrabbling in the cracks for more

buffalo all day posted:

Agreed, I think it’s so beloved it’s going to get adapted in some fashion though.

I’m more upset we won’t get the scene where Mat absently eats like 3 whole chickens while thinking in his room!!

:hfive:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Invalid Validation posted:

They managed to make Nynaeve dues ex machina to heal everything in the world but couldn’t figure out how to bring people back from the dead. Guess Rand will just need to start pulling people from other dimensions instead.

Hello my friend have you ever heard of the Horn of Valere??

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

That's going to the be the best moment of the show: the second Mat puts on something else other than that ratty rear end housecoat he's been wearing for six months now.

They had this moment in E3!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Health Services posted:

They had this moment in E3!

Dreams don't count :mad:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Far Madding isn't like stilling, it's like being in a stedding.

As far as my original comment, here's my source:
https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Severing#:~:text=Stilling%20is%20the%20process%20by,it%2C%20

But the rest of that sentence "A stilled woman cans sense the source, but not touch it, (TWoRJTWoT, Ch. 2), and Siuan and Leane can sense what Moghedien feels through the a'dam."

Like they were astounded to feel it again. Which implies that they couldn't sense it or feel it again. I'm trying to think of the povs of anyone who has been stilled and gentle and really afaik there's only siuan, and after reading the series the last couple of months I can't remember one instance where she mentioned she could sense it.

If you have better information I'm all ears.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hello my friend have you ever heard of the Horn of Valere??

Nono those are dead people, we need evil Nynaeve to be brought back.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
"Siuan and Leane can sense what Moghedien feels through the a'dam" is in reference to her emotions, not the source.

More direct quote from The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time:

The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, page 21 posted:

The severing of a man from the True Source is now known as 'gentleing'. He can still sense the Power, but is unable to touch saidin in any way

The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, page 22 posted:

The stilled woman, like the man who has been gentled, is cut off from the True Source, always tantalized by the sense of saidar, yet unable to touch or channel it.

But also:

The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, page 22 posted:

The woman who is burned out can neither channel nor sense the power.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Dreams don't count :mad:

I will say, from the beginning of the show throughout, the costuming department's coat game has been exceptionally strong. Special mention for Bayle Domon's waistcoat.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

"Siuan and Leane can sense what Moghedien feels through the a'dam" is in reference to her emotions, not the source.

But also:

ah ok, fair enough.

e: wait I just read that last quote. what the hell??! Now I'm more confused?

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Stilling and Burning Out are different. Stilling is done to you, and can be healed. Burning Out is when you draw to much power and sever your own connection to the source.

I think the Sisters Rand stilled as a side effect of breaking free from the box could be healed as well.

Shageletic posted:

ah ok, fair enough.

e: wait I just read that last quote. what the hell??! Now I'm more confused?

Think of it like cutting a rope or burning it. One has a clean edge too work with, the other is useless ash.

enigma105 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 6, 2023

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

enigma105 posted:

I think the Sisters Rand stilled as a side effect of breaking free from the box could be healed as well.
*were Healed. Flinn does it.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Not strictly show related, but someone mentioned a lot of Forsaken were created as a result of personal conflicts with Lews Therin. It's usually stuff like being jealous of him being a super perfect badass, but it seems like half the Shadow's generals had some personal beef with him. One is an anomaly, but like six is a pattern. Is there any evidence that LTT was just some sort of huge dick?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Morrow posted:

Not strictly show related, but someone mentioned a lot of Forsaken were created as a result of personal conflicts with Lews Therin. It's usually stuff like being jealous of him being a super perfect badass, but it seems like half the Shadow's generals had some personal beef with him. One is an anomaly, but like six is a pattern. Is there any evidence that LTT was just some sort of huge dick?

I feel like the setup to your question answers your question

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Morrow posted:

Pretty explicitly, yes. Rand himself says it straight up after getting his memories of the AoL back. He tried to go it some, never really gave anyone else their due, offered sarcasm instead of sincere compliments, etc.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DTurtle posted:

They have to cut out and combine tons and tons of stuff if they want to get through the whole thing in 64 or so episodes.

The more they focus on getting the right essence across instead of sticking to only including scenes and exact unimportant situations across, the better.

Some of the best parts of season 1 ("sad warder" episode) and season 2 (third Nynaeve trial, Liandrin's son, Moiraine's desperate attempt to not give up, Rand going into an asylum in order to learn from Logain) are nowhere in the book.

The sad warder episode was so so bad. Not as bad as the last eps but not far from it.

Shageletic posted:

Personally, other than the third test (which is, outside of the head fake) closely resembling what occurred in the book down to the dialogue, the parts of the narrative that are made up whole cloth are the weakest parts of the show for me.

Agreed 100%. The show gets noticeably better where it more closely follows the books.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Shageletic posted:

But the rest of that sentence "A stilled woman cans sense the source, but not touch it, (TWoRJTWoT, Ch. 2), and Siuan and Leane can sense what Moghedien feels through the a'dam."

Like they were astounded to feel it again. Which implies that they couldn't sense it or feel it again. I'm trying to think of the povs of anyone who has been stilled and gentle and really afaik there's only siuan, and after reading the series the last couple of months I can't remember one instance where she mentioned she could sense it.

If you have better information I'm all ears.

They can sense the source, but can't sense or see the power being held or used. Those are two different things.

Being able to sense it just out of reach is why so many of them just die.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Morrow posted:

Lews being such a shithead that he was the common denominator in literally everyone's problems sounds about right for Lews Therin Telamon.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I have problems with a bunch of individual decisions that the writers have made, like pointless drama between Nynaeve and Egwene, whatever the gently caress is going on with Moiraine and Lan, not to mention the initial decision to still her in the first place, jumping straight into having Rand be hooking up with Lanfear/Selene with no explanation or buildup, Logain being in Cairhien when it would have made far more sense for him to be in Tar Valon, etc.

But I think my biggest problem with all this is I don't understand why they thought it would be better than just following the plot of the book. The Great Hunt is a great adventure story, it doesn't have an impenetrably huge cast of characters, it doesn't have people sitting around doing nothing for a thousand pages, it's just good poo poo. So why throw half of it out the window? Even if they do wrap up those threads in a way that's not stupid (which I'm not convinced they will), I think you could have made a much better show by just following the book's plot.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Some of this is the need to use your big name actors. Moiraine can sit on the sidelines for a book; Rosamund Pike can’t. Logain can appear sporadically over fourteen books to resolve his arc; Alvaro Morte shouldn’t. I think there’s space to argue that whether the show is using them effectively, but for real-world reasons the show was never going to be able to stick tightly to the book plots.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, cause we all know in the books that Egwene and Nyneave never had any drama between them and they always got along, no matter how pointy SOME of their elbows were.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Remembering that time in Tel'aran'rhiod that Egwene tried to make Nynaeve eat cat puke or whatever it was

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

Remembering that time in Tel'aran'rhiod that Egwene tried to make Nynaeve eat cat puke or whatever it was

It was the nasty rear end tea that Nyneave used to make Egwene drink whenever she thought Egwene was lying about something when they were in two rivers. Cat root or something.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Rarity posted:

Or the time she threatened to let Trollocs assault her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Devorum posted:

Or the time she threatened to let Trollocs assault her.

I did a Season 1 watch party with a friend and virtually every scene Nynaeve was in one or both of ours would be like "watch her start a fistfight with the Amyrlin Seat or something lol."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Or the time Elayne has to slap Egwene for going too far in one snide comment about Nynaeve, reminding her that they (Nynaeve, Egwene and Elayne) "must live together, or [they] will surely die together!". There has always been tension between Egwene and Nynaeve after they've left the Two Rivers, just the power dynamics changed over the course of the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

thekeeshman posted:

I have problems with a bunch of individual decisions that the writers have made, like pointless drama between Nynaeve and Egwene, whatever the gently caress is going on with Moiraine and Lan, not to mention the initial decision to still her in the first place, jumping straight into having Rand be hooking up with Lanfear/Selene with no explanation or buildup, Logain being in Cairhien when it would have made far more sense for him to be in Tar Valon, etc.

But I think my biggest problem with all this is I don't understand why they thought it would be better than just following the plot of the book. The Great Hunt is a great adventure story, it doesn't have an impenetrably huge cast of characters, it doesn't have people sitting around doing nothing for a thousand pages, it's just good poo poo. So why throw half of it out the window? Even if they do wrap up those threads in a way that's not stupid (which I'm not convinced they will), I think you could have made a much better show by just following the book's plot.
There's quite a lot of reasons.

For one, TV shows have limited time and budget. If they realistically want to tell the overall story of Wheel of Time in a realistic amount of seasons, they have to compress stuff and book 2 cannot be an entire season. If it can't be an entire season, it makes no sense to try to adapt all the events of book 2, that would just be insanely rushed. Instead what they're trying in season 2 is a combination of book 2 and 3 that doesn't have the same events but has the same overall feeling and character growth.

A TV show also cannot have as many locations and settings as a book does because writing a description of a castle costs nothing but building that castle set costs a lot. That was explicitly mentioned by the showrunner in an interview about season 1 - they basically listed all the locations of book 1, then estimated they can afford to do something like two thirds of them, and had to figure out what to cut from there.