Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

C-Euro posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading my dude (just shy of 18 months) from his infant car seat to something forward-facing, but while he's just about at the recommended height limit for the seat he has a ways to go for the weight limit, and he still seems comfortable in the seat. Maybe something to research at this point, but not actually buy until he's struggling to fit?

Rear facing is recommended for quite a few years longer, as the previous poster already mentioned. Also keep in mind it may take some weeks for your new car seat to be delivered (keep in mind you may also need a new base). For us it took a month - we just upgraded our 20m old to the BeSafe iZi Modular RF X1 which we're happy with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
1st grade starts tomorrow and we had a covid contact on Saturday. Gonna be really bummed for my kiddo if they have to stay home sick for the first few days :(

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading my dude (just shy of 18 months) from his infant car seat to something forward-facing, but while he's just about at the recommended height limit for the seat he has a ways to go for the weight limit, and he still seems comfortable in the seat. Maybe something to research at this point, but not actually buy until he's struggling to fit?

Just so we’re clear, is your boy still in the infant seat (i.e a bucket seat that you can detach from a base)? Most kids outgrow those between 9-15 months, but the next step is a convertible car seat. That one faces backward for ages 1-3 (though some parents choose rear-facing longer and legally you may only need to do it up to age 2 if not earlier), and then converts to front-facing until they’re ready for a booster seat / adult seat belt.

Generally speaking, a rear-facing convertible is safer than a forward-facing convertible, which in turn is safer than a booster seat. So the longer you can keep your kid in one stage, the better. The exception is if your kid has outgrown the height or weight requirements for that particular seat. Even my 20th percentile boys outgrew their infant seats by 15 months, so I’m guessing it’s time for a rear-facing convertible one for yours.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Is anyone else’s kid into Rainbow Friends/Garten of Banban/“mascot horror” games?

Both my wife and I dislike the horror genre for ourselves so we are having a hard time figuring out if these are just inappropriate or it’s just that we don’t get them. Tied also into watching content for them taking him from YouTubers that we kind of liked to ones that are straight up annoying and have inappropriate setups more often.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Once they start forming coherent sentences it's really nice to have them facing forward as you have an actual passenger to talk to

Car seat advocates would have you driving your car as an adult with a 5 point harness facing backwards if they could, and they're technically right it is fundemdntally safer

A very casual survey of our daycare is that the kids in my class (2's) is about 80/20 forward/rear

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Another consideration is that it is infinitely more frustrating to try and wrangle a grumpy non-compliant kid into a rear facing car seat than it is to get them into a front facing one.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Kiddo has started to actually identify words! He successfully identified all the letters in the word “daddy” which must make my boyfriend pretty happy :3

Also he is not consistently disappointed when I have to leave after the weekend “to feed my cats”

Kiddo: cherry do your cats love you??
Me: yeah buddy!
Kiddo: well I love you too!!

*ugly crying*

Edit: This also made things really real a couple weeks ago when the boyfriend and I had a nearly relationship ending conflict. Turns out being invested in not just a partner but a child I’ve now known for a quarter of his life adds a level of gravity to this whole thing.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 4, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hadlock posted:

Once they start forming coherent sentences it's really nice to have them facing forward as you have an actual passenger to talk to

Car seat advocates would have you driving your car as an adult with a 5 point harness facing backwards if they could, and they're technically right it is fundemdntally safer

A very casual survey of our daycare is that the kids in my class (2's) is about 80/20 forward/rear

I don't know how your kids' ears work, but mine can hear me and reply just fine facing backwards. ;)

(She has never once complained about being seated backwards, at 4½ going on 5. Our rear-facing seat is rated 25kg but she'll probably hit the height limit before her next birthday.) This is the norm around here (Sweden) -- I don't know anyone who has their 4-year-old or younger seated forwards, except one exceptionally tall 3-year-old.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Our 8-week old's brain is turning on now reliably during the day. He was doing his goldfish schtick for most of the day up until this point, turning on some coherence maybe once a day for a few minutes, actually recognizing faces and acknowledging us as much as an 8 week old can. We've just went through a development jump and now he's looking at us, reaching out and doing little smiles and the "o" face most of the day, which is a great change from a crying pee and poop factory that seemed to hate every minute of their young life when not sleeping or staring into the distance.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't know how your kids' ears work, but mine can hear me and reply just fine facing backwards. ;)

(She has never once complained about being seated backwards, at 4½ going on 5. Our rear-facing seat is rated 25kg but she'll probably hit the height limit before her next birthday.) This is the norm around here (Sweden) -- I don't know anyone who has their 4-year-old or younger seated forwards, except one exceptionally tall 3-year-old.

I remember when my son was 2 or 3 and sitting in his (rear facing) car seat and I was trying to sneak a chocolate shake up front and he heard the slurp of the straw and there was an immediate "what you doing mama?? Is that ice cream??" from him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

in_cahoots posted:

Just so we’re clear, is your boy still in the infant seat (i.e a bucket seat that you can detach from a base)? Most kids outgrow those between 9-15 months, but the next step is a convertible car seat. That one faces backward for ages 1-3 (though some parents choose rear-facing longer and legally you may only need to do it up to age 2 if not earlier), and then converts to front-facing until they’re ready for a booster seat / adult seat belt.

Generally speaking, a rear-facing convertible is safer than a forward-facing convertible, which in turn is safer than a booster seat. So the longer you can keep your kid in one stage, the better. The exception is if your kid has outgrown the height or weight requirements for that particular seat. Even my 20th percentile boys outgrew their infant seats by 15 months, so I’m guessing it’s time for a rear-facing convertible one for yours.

Yep, the bucket seat. He's getting snug but it lists a max weight 50% higher than his current weight, which is wild to me. Guess I'll look into convertibles with my day off!

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Yep, the bucket seat. He's getting snug but it lists a max weight 50% higher than his current weight, which is wild to me. Guess I'll look into convertibles with my day off!

It's not a "meets both" situation though.
Once they hit either the height OR weight limit it's time for a new seat.

The listing here for convertible seats is a great place to start!

https://csftl.org/recommended-seats/#convertible

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I mean they literally wouldn’t. Kids have crazy bone ossification going on in the first few years of life, and their spine goes from wiggly cartilage to solid bones as they get closer to 4. Being front-facing in an accident when your neck bones aren’t really bones yet can lead to some gnarly outcomes. Adults have neck bones that are solid and non-flexible and the risk is not equivalent.

Weigh your risks and make the choice that works with your life, but like - don’t minimize the risks for others, please.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yes facing backwards is fundamentally safer. If there were a way to safely pilot a car while seated backwards we would have required it by now. I don't think anyone is debating what's safest

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Ya calm down, car seat advocates

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Thank you Goon for the Rhode Island shirt (sorry to interrupt car seat discussion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k--WZ7DJ9o

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
That's a cute interruption

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
“Daddy!”
“Yes.”
“Daddyyyyy!”
“What?”
“DADDYYYYYY!”
“I said WHAT?”
“I have cancer in my lungs.” *looks so proud*
:wtc:

Now begins the game of “who the gently caress said what around the toddler, and does anyone need to tell me anything important?”

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Sundae posted:

“Daddy!”
“Yes.”
“Daddyyyyy!”
“What?”
“DADDYYYYYY!”
“I said WHAT?”
“I have cancer in my lungs.” *looks so proud*
:wtc:

Now begins the game of “who the gently caress said what around the toddler, and does anyone need to tell me anything important?”

Could it be from the tv? Public health advertising was pretty attractive to my kid when she was too little to understand what it was, I guess the graphics or the serious tone of the voice over caught her attention.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Someone recommended Trash Truck on Netflix and the blatent disregard for physics and euclidean space is blowing my mind. Sure, just invite a full scale rubbish truck into your house, I'm sure it will just fit through the front door.

It's very chilled out watching though

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
This absolutely melted me yesterday during bedtime:
Me: "I love you little sweety!"
Kid: "I love you little daddy!"
:3:

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The two year old is running around the living room after dinner, when she suddenly stops and looks at her foot.
"Oh! Udon!", she says, and before I realize what's happening, the piece of noodle is already in her mouth. I tell her "that was on the floor, so it was dirty. Please don't eat food off the floor."
She stops, and you can see the gears turning in her little head.
"Wash the floor! Wipey please!"

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

bee posted:

Could it be from the tv? Public health advertising was pretty attractive to my kid when she was too little to understand what it was, I guess the graphics or the serious tone of the voice over caught her attention.

Yeah, my money's on this. There's a California anti-vaping PSA that comes on sometimes that's very short and very direct about lung cancer.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
When I was 6-7 I was convinced I had HIV and Leukemia because my arm was sore. I had a full meltdown in the bathtub.

I'm not sure why I thought that. I think I snuck a peak at some late night news my parents were watching when I was supposed to go to sleep.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

External Organs posted:

When I was 6-7 I was convinced I had HIV and Leukemia because my arm was sore. I had a full meltdown in the bathtub.

I'm not sure why I thought that. I think I snuck a peak at some late night news my parents were watching when I was supposed to go to sleep.

Same here, looking back it was definitely because I was watching Jerry Springer “kids with AIDS” or something to that effect during the summer doldrums.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I got to stay up late and watch some NOVA science program on PBS. At some point the narrator was talking about the sun and how over billions of years it'll eventually expand past the orbit of earth and cooking/absorbing the planet

I had a lot of questions and then they put me to bed. I know rationally that 4 billion years is long enough that I don't need to worry about it, but also created a lot of existential dread about how temporary everything is

My kiddos grandpa passed away a couple months ago and occasionally something tangential to that will come up and she'll say something like "grandpa passed away," and you can tell she's trying to process what that means exactly

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Kid, while butt naked out of the bath: Woof woof! I'm a dog! Bark bark bark! Daddy call me puppy! Woof woof!

Me, dumbest dad on earth: Hey this is a great time to break out his brand new doggy pajamas!

Hey kiddo, look!

Kid: ahhhhhhh! Gasp! SHORTS!

O...ok, enjoy your shorts then I guess.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Me: Kid, I'm proud of you. You've behaved really well on this trip.
Kid: No I haven't.

(According to my dad this means I should check my car brakes)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Going back to car seat chat for a moment, what's the skinny on flying with seats larger than a bucket seat? We have a long plane ride planned for the end of the year, last time we flew with the little guy we still had his infant seat plugged into a stroller which made things more straightforward. Do convertible seats travel well enough?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bee posted:

It ended up being from one of those stupid GeoBeats pet videos. My wife watches 1-3 videos of those with her as part of the pre-bedtime rituals, and they'd watched one the night before where a woman was talking about how adopting an immunocompromised parrot helped her come to terms with her lung cancer or some poo poo like that.

Day One of preschool was a complete success. The "no touching the children" rule ended up being specifically "while their pants are off, etc etc." Drawstrings, buttons, etc, all just fine. They want fewer of them in general because that's one fewer thing to deal with, but "no touch" was specific to literal, actual toilet usage and underwear. My daughter is excited for her second day and was all but exploding with delight when I told her that she got to go not once or twice, but EVERY DAY!

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

C-Euro posted:

Going back to car seat chat for a moment, what's the skinny on flying with seats larger than a bucket seat? We have a long plane ride planned for the end of the year, last time we flew with the little guy we still had his infant seat plugged into a stroller which made things more straightforward. Do convertible seats travel well enough?

We just flew without a seat and held baby (8 months on a ~4 hour flight). Luckily we didn't have anyone next to use so we could spread out a bit, but holding a baby on the flight isn't any worse than going through teething or a mild fever. Baby can sit fine on a regular seat as well, no need for a special carrier/booster. They'll have to belt onto your belt during take off/landing though.

We hired a baby seat in the hire car at the other end, I can't imagine the pain it would be to lug a whole booster seat through the airport.

We had a dummy and milk for takeoff and landing (jaw motions help pop the ears), and she didn't cry once on the way up or down.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

C-Euro posted:

what's the skinny on flying with seats larger than a bucket seat?
Kids that are big enough not to fit in a bucket seat don't need a seat for the plane itself, so if you're traveling with a convertible seat it's for vehicular use at your destination.

The trick is that most airlines let you check car seats for free. Buy those vinyl bags made for checking them, put the car seat in, and then fill the rest of the bag with diapers (so you don't waste paid checked luggage space on them).

Also I wouldn't recommend traveling with "full size" convertibles as they're heavy and massive. I mean, you can, but for the few parts where you have to lug them around yourself they're obnoxious. We bought some cheap Chicco seats that were weight appropriate but generally much less bulky.

If you're also wheeling around those "max capacity" 50 lbs/61" suitcases get some bungee cords and place a car seat upside down, on top of the suitcas, and bungee through the seat belt path to both sides of the suitcase handle.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 6, 2023

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Under age 2 are typically allowed to sit in your lap. That said, YMMV based on your tolerance for sharing a cramped seat with an almost two year old, and the duration of the flight. With my kids I’d probably opt for a convertible in their own seat up to around 3. That’s what we did about a year ago - youngest (1 at the time) was a lap ticket and oldest (almost 3) had her own seat. It worked fine.

We’d flown before when the oldest was around 2.5 and she was in a convertible. That was ok but it was definitely a mad rush to get into the plane and get everyone strapped in. If you opt for this definitely practice seatbelt-only fastening in the car seat. Once we were all strapped in though it was great, she was comfortable in her familiar seats and fell asleep.

For specifics, I recommend this car seat to anyone. It’s light and relatively narrow, great for hauling around compared with e.g. a graco monstrosity (we have two of these but they stay in the car).

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
If you're getting a seat for your child, and especially if your flights are frequent or long distance, consider an AmSafe CARES harness and checking the carseat. They're pricey but we've used ours multiple times and it's been a lifesaver.

https://www.faa.gov/travelers/fly_children
https://www.amsafe.com/kidsflysafe-com/

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Just personally insulted my toddler son by calling a compost truck a trash truck.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I had a really nice three month stretch where my son stayed the same size, and just in time for fall he had another growth spurt! Does anyone else feel like you are constantly buying clothes to keep up? And on that note, where do you like shopping for toddler clothing? I used to shop at old navy but the quality is pretty lovely.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

remigious posted:

I had a really nice three month stretch where my son stayed the same size, and just in time for fall he had another growth spurt! Does anyone else feel like you are constantly buying clothes to keep up? And on that note, where do you like shopping for toddler clothing? I used to shop at old navy but the quality is pretty lovely.

Do you have a once upon a child near you? They have economically prices used second hand stuff.

If you want to spend the big bucks Hanna Anderson has some quality stuff and often have big sales. I don't usually spend money there but my family likes to gift us stuff from there.

Edit: someone gifted me something from tea collection once and it was really lovely but also expensive

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

hallo spacedog posted:

Do you have a once upon a child near you? They have economically prices used second hand stuff.

If you want to spend the big bucks Hanna Anderson has some quality stuff and often have big sales. I don't usually spend money there but my family likes to gift us stuff from there.

Edit: someone gifted me something from tea collection once and it was really lovely but also expensive

Oooh! There is a Once Upon a Child opening close to me later this month! Thanks for the suggestions :)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

remigious posted:

We just bought giant bags of used clothes on marketplace or wherever until they were old enough to wear things more than twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

The car seat on the plane is nice for toddlers because you can strap them in and they can’t escape!! Also they’re used to being in / sleeping in it so it may make them more comfortable to be in a familiar seat in an otherwise strange situation. I’ve hauled big car seats in the stroller or a luggage cart, but it’s def easier if you have a small cheap travel seat. We also had a CARES harness but my kids were kinda small and could still wriggle out so I didn’t find it all that useful.