Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i hadn't actually heard some of the dialogue in this mission, it makes one of the endings make a lot more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Here's an interesting build design question between Bipedal and Reverse Joint legs. Obviously RJ has the long jumps, but does BP have any particular advantages? Like the only downside is that BP's grounded quick boosts don't send you into the air, letting you do repeated dashs on the ground.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bipedal are generally all-round options, I believe, no particular strengths but no specific weaknesses either

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Bipeds have better stats all around in the same weight class than reverse joints and have way more options to fine tune your build.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
RJ has noticeably less ACS and ACS Recovery I believe

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You can make a super heavy bipedal or a turbo rat bipedal. All you really give up is jump height. You can also make a pretty heavy reverse joint mech with spring chicken legs.

A bipedal can take maximum big guns the same as a tank, you're just trading around mobility and armour.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why does everyone keep telling 621 to get some rest? Dude sleeps 18 hours a day before waking up for a five minute murder spree. He's like a cat.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mr. Crow posted:

its good now actually, i heard it was a train wreck at launch but they somehow fixed it. well worth playing if u like big stompy mechs

i only realized when ac6 came out that i only enjoy playing mw5 if i mod it into being as fast as ac6

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Arc Hammer posted:

Why does everyone keep telling 621 to get some rest? Dude sleeps 18 hours a day before waking up for a five minute murder spree. He's like a cat.

621 has no hobbies so there's nothing to do but wreck poo poo and sleep.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What does LC stand for

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
gently caress this warrant officer mission so hard. I could mash quick boost all day and this piece of poo poo just never misses a single shot, what the gently caress

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Stairmaster posted:

What does LC stand for

Light Cavalry, HC is Heavy Cavalry

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

CharlestonJew posted:

gently caress this warrant officer mission so hard. I could mash quick boost all day and this piece of poo poo just never misses a single shot, what the gently caress

I know this thread just pilloried a guy for thinking this game is too Soulslike, but this game is very Soulslike so the enemies all have perfect tracking and there's a narrow window where dodging will help you and that is only after the attack is already totally committed

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Eej posted:

Laser Lance + Laser Dagger does the same thing tbh. You're supposed to use high stagger and burst weapons. You're not supposed to out maneuver and out shoot Ibis.

All its attacks are avoidable though and you can tell they tried to make it like a final boss in Bloodborne or something.

The problem I had all its most dangerous attacks have narrow dodge windows so I would eventually screw up with only 3 heals.

Also I didn't have the patience to learn all the attacks for phase 2.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
What's the fastest mech you've assembled? I can't get much above 360 boost speed (not QB)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fastest I've gotten without sacrificing firepower was about 350 using the Steel Haze Ortus assembly with the triple nozzle Schneider thrusters and the V20C power plant.

I find anything above 330 to be a bit *too* fast so I tailor my builds more into the 300-320 range with some bigger guns or more survivable parts.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CharlestonJew posted:

The AI can sometimes cancel their red flash warning attacks and try again a moment later if they think they are going to miss too badly, or you are going to counter hit them badly enough it will stagger unless they dodge cancel. Though this is more of an issue against the battle log jerk down the hill.

This was the cause of like, 80% of my "But I dodged that?" hits until realized it was a thing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
beat em, gently caress both those guys

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CharlestonJew posted:

beat em, gently caress both those guys

Good, now do it again to beat Ring Freddie in the secret encounter before taking the HC on.

Without a checkpoint, naturally.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Arc Hammer posted:

Good, now do it again to beat Ring Freddie in the secret encounter before taking the HC on.

Without a checkpoint, naturally.

When I said “both those guys”, that’s what I meant. I did it all without checkpoints, good riddance.

I think what makes that mission an absolute bitch is both the ACs have extremely different styles such that you can’t build a mech that can effectively counter them both. Also ring Freddie is an annoying fight at the best of times, throw warrant officer Kurt Angle into the mix, and your chances of winning drastically go down

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CharlestonJew posted:

That was the single fight that almost made me walk away from this awesome game.

tank treads. miniguns or zimmermans. songbirds.

OR... choose whatever the other mission is and skip the Enforcement Squad mission this playthrough. Get it done next go round when you have some better weapons like the Shoulder Needle Launchers you get at the end of Chapter 3. I went back and S-Ranked that mission without using a single repair pack once I had better gear from the first two playthroughs.

Also, in the boss room, you can hang back at the entrance and let the three adds come to you so you can pick them off easy before the boss spawns. That helps a lot.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 6, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Spent a while killing carla because i am bad but that fight felt far more fair than balteus ever did

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

When I said “both those guys”, that’s what I meant. I did it all without checkpoints, good riddance.

I think what makes that mission an absolute bitch is both the ACs have extremely different styles such that you can’t build a mech that can effectively counter them both. Also ring Freddie is an annoying fight at the best of times, throw warrant officer Kurt Angle into the mix, and your chances of winning drastically go down

But if you can beat them you've a 141 2/3 chance of beating the game. The numbers don't lie and they spell success for you at Rubicon.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

You know what fight was bullshit?

Double AC fight in the worm tunnels on NG+ before the chapter 4 end mission. Made me pull out stun needles out of frustration.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Spent a while killing carla because i am bad but that fight felt far more fair than balteus ever did

I ended up fighting Carla on the bottom floor, mostly under the second level, and for whatever reason only had to deal with her until I beat her and moved on to the next. They should've ganged up on me but didn't.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

im glad that i only got one of the final bosses spoiled i feel like it must have been some kind of miracle

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t40Y6YXZHYY

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

So where does your augmented human guy sit in the AC? Seems like the head would be too tiny, do you just live in the chest area? Or does being augmented mean you're a tiny brain in a jar?

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Finished NG. What a stellar game. Can't wait to do the rest.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Finally finished my first game, ended up choosing Ayre's route, since she seemed like the one who most unambiguously supported Raven. Felt pretty bad about having to take down Carla, Chatty, and Walter though. Also :rip: Rusty, see you buddy. :smith:

Also whoever recommended dual Ransetsu's a little back in the thread, thank you because I decided to mix things up and holy poo poo these things gently caress. Paired it with funnels and a missile launcher, actually managed to feel like a medium-range, high mobility gunslinger while still building up good stagger.

Also the game got an actual full belly laugh out of me when Snail showed up in Baltaeus 2: Electric Boogaloo. The devs absolutely knew what they were doing and I adore it. :allears: Beating an improved Baltaeus on my second try after slamming my head against the wall to beat the first version really was the moment where I realized just how far I'd come. Hell I would have beat him first try if I'd known in advance the phase two swords can just straight up drop you from full healthy at <9K AP.

Game rules, in a year that's seen so many banger releases I'm surprised how much I'm feeling this might float to the top as GOTY. Are there any specific choices I need to make on NG+ to continue the progression, or just pick an ending that I didn't pick the first time?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
been experimenting with more weapons and the 760pr Plasma Rifles are pretty fun. i like the way their shots explode and can fry multiple enemies at once

also im liking the diffuse laser cannons more than expected. they're like giant versions of the lazer shotguns!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

palindrome posted:

So where does your augmented human guy sit in the AC? Seems like the head would be too tiny, do you just live in the chest area? Or does being augmented mean you're a tiny brain in a jar?

Here's the description for one the Core (body) parts in the game

Core part for the EPHEMERA unpiloted AC, developed long ago by the Rubicon Research Institute. An old development quirk allows for piloted operation, but the core box makes only perfunctory concessions for a human occupant.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Now do it without taking damage.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

WaltherFeng posted:

Here's the description for one the Core (body) parts in the game

Core part for the EPHEMERA unpiloted AC, developed long ago by the Rubicon Research Institute. An old development quirk allows for piloted operation, but the core box makes only perfunctory concessions for a human occupant.

dang, that sounds uncomfortable. now I know why xth Gen pilots are kind of unpredictable

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah the reason why it's called Armored Core is that the pilots sit in a very protected bathtub (the Core option when building your AC) with all of the important systems and everything inside. Everything else is modular allowing for maximum customization. ACs are horrendously expensive and Mercs basically go into debt getting one plus the augmentations to pilot one effectively.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is 621 an actual person or just a brain in a jar type deal?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Augmented humans are all humans. Brain in jars are uh, hinted at near the end of the game.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Pretty heavy spoilers through NG++ obviously but this is pretty interesting I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejrfToVVjFc

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The Postman posted:

A flamethrower will make quick work of most of them.

Ibblebibble posted:

Double flamethrowers on heavy biped legs worked like a charm for me, with whichever heavy hitters you prefer on shoulders to crack stuff that's tougher than an MT. I used double stun needle launchers but other stuff should work too.

PathAsc posted:

If you're not already doing it, assault armor nukes all the trash and will give you breathing room. I ran plasma missiles and miniguns on a tank for extra AP. There's definitely better builds I'm sure, but it worked.

E: I'm dreading going for an S on this lol

Didn't expect the flamethrowers to last the whole mission but I did it in one try. Complaining works, and so did the tips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

Augmented humans are all humans. Brain in jars are uh, hinted at near the end of the game.

Yeah, you see pictures of other augs, and they're more like Mikazuki and Vidar from Iron Blooded Orphans than like Graze Ein or Bjorn from Warhammer.