Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Cojawfee posted:

These people are in their 60s, how are they going to write a young adult.

Hire more writers from the Harvard Lampoon? They grew up likely with either the video game or DVD movies as their first taste of the show though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I’m kind of surprised we didn’t get an Amy episode about her being a millennial and displaced by gen z and trying to keep up. Not disappointed. Just surprised.

This week’s episode had a couple funny bits but just felt like watching something we just all did. There wasn’t commentary on the event.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Trite commentary on thing that happened. cant wait for the BLM episode, the metoo episode, the trans atlethe episode, the 2016 election episod and the social media is so crazy episode.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Baudolino posted:

Trite commentary on thing that happened. cant wait for the BLM episode, the metoo episode, the trans atlethe episode, the 2016 election episod and the social media is so crazy episode.

Good news everyone

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Baudolino posted:

the trans atlethe episode

sir have you heard of futurama

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Baudolino posted:

Bender already competed in the olympics as a fembot.

And Amy + Leela already roided out in the Competitive Butterfly League or whatever it was called.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Mostly a boring episode. Wish they wouldn't try and write topical episodes because they almost never turn out well as the writers jam in lazy jokes to fill the time. I didn't have it though. The bones bot fighting off the dogfish that jumped onto the boat made me laugh.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Bender already competed in the olympics as a fembot.

And Amy + Leela already roided out in the Competitive Butterfly League or whatever it was called.

Despite seeming like it would have aged really poorly, Bend Her is actually still a strong episode. There's a lot of hoo-ha about Bender's robo-hormones but the punch at the end is that he actually fell in love with Calculon and discovered a more nuanced side of himself, and he just doesn't want to admit it now that he's a man again because that's not macho.

The weakest part is just that the fembot bending event is presented as a joke that Bender can easily walk over with his superior Male Robot body, even though he's just a schmoe off the street competing with Olympic robo-athletes. Reminiscent of, "we no can dunk, but got good fundamentals!" from Amazon Women In the Mood, this cheap gag about women's sports sucking. The parts of the episode that actually haven't aged well are like, that, and that Leela is written as if she's constantly on the verge of saying a slur. Bender's a weird, arrogant rear end in a top hat about being a woman, but Bender's a weird rear end in a top hat all the time, so that feels kinda normal.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

And I'm not afraid to say it, the Calculon romance has some of my favorite bits.

"Will there be horse?"
"All you can eat!"

And them tossing Boxey over the side of the balloon to ascend. Plus the whole soap opera death scene ending.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've really disliked this season but I'm going to come out and say this was my favorite episode of the season so far. For some reason I really liked it. Maybe it's all the gumbo.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
That was easily the worst episode of the season because it did all things that have been slight to moderate drags on most of the other episodes (extremely dated "current events" jokes and shoehorning ~random~ call-back characters in a misguided attempt at fan service) to the most obnoxious degrees. Surely they could have come up with a better plot line to take advantage of the New New Orleans environment, which was fairly inspired I'll admit. Shame it was wasted on this.

That said, the "do it again" gag on the spinning newspaper transition trope got me.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure why, but I didn't hate it. It may have just been the surreal-ness of seeing characters retired 12 years ago recreating events from three years ago that was amusing in a weird way. I do however think it could have been marginally improved if they had not mentioned actual covid at all. Also, South Park already did the "Covid is still happening waaay into the future" joke.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So lazy, they didn't even put in any obvious 'hidden' jokes, like when Prof Farnsworth's easily lost scrap of paper flew away.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
what was the meetoo episode?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Baudolino posted:

what was the meetoo episode?

Presumably the upcoming Zapp gets cancelled.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

things I liked:

-New New Orleans, good vibe and kind of a shame it was introduced in an episode with such a tired premised

-Gumbotron, goes with the vibe of NNO but deserves a specific mention

-Bonebot, normally I'm not a big fan of puns but this worked and him inserting "bone" into most of his sentences was probably what made me chuckle the most in the episode

-Fry and Leela being a couple, any time they throw the spotlight on this makes me happy but that's also probably because of how dour a lot of the CC run was before they became a couple

things I didn't like:

-the premise, honestly, we are just going to continue seeing this and it reminds me of something Mel Brooks said about 10 years ago when he was asked about Spaceballs: The Animated Series. I don't recall the exact words but he agreed it sucked and was a pretty bad show, his main point was that he'd been around for so long and a lot of his works were so iconic that by the time the show was greenlit and being produced a lot of the jokes and premises they explored had already been covered by lots of other shows and even by randos on the internet that had taken a lot of ideas and inspiration from things like Young Frankenstein and Spaceballs. There comes a time where you just need to admit that your time has come and gone and you need to let others take over, and that time has definitely come for Matt Groening and co.

That's pretty much it, Futurama is probably at its worst when episodes are highly topical in nature, and even worse is that a lot of these episodes aren't even that topical. God forbid if we get a BLM/George Floyd episode in this run

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I like the idea that there are people making dumbass pun robots and then just letting them loose in the world.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Aces High posted:

That's pretty much it, Futurama is probably at its worst when episodes are highly topical in nature, and even worse is that a lot of these episodes aren't even that topical. God forbid if we get a BLM/George Floyd episode in this run

I don't think there's a #BotLivesMatter episode this season, but maybe in the next set of Hulu episodes.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Considering watching the new Simpsons season, because when will I ever get another chance to say that I was disappointed by three Matt Groening shows in a single year?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

As someone that has been watching zombie simpsons for a while now, it's a bit amusing seeing people expect better from futurama and disenchantment these days.

I will keep watching all this trash for those single episodes out of dozens that are somewhat novel and entertaining and make me think Groening animated shows still work, for a brief second.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I mean, they haven't done Futurama in years. You'd think there would have been tons of times when they thought up a good Futurama plot but couldn't use it because the show wasn't on anymore. Then they get this opportunity and could have used years worth of potential ideas and we have this. The most clever bit about this season was Amy's kids being ready to leave the swamp and that was a dud.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I mean, they haven't done Futurama in years. You'd think there would have been tons of times when they thought up a good Futurama plot but couldn't use it because the show wasn't on anymore. Then they get this opportunity and could have used years worth of potential ideas and we have this. The most clever bit about this season was Amy's kids being ready to leave the swamp and that was a dud.

They definitely did bank some plots but it was all pretty lazy. 8 years ago they thought "what if TV binging, but futurama?" And 3 years ago they thought "hey what if futurama had covid?" And 2 years ago they thought "hey what if bitcoin but futurama?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

I like the idea that there are people making dumbass pun robots and then just letting them loose in the world.

My favorite is still the fact that there is a robot out there who was built for the express purpose of being a billionaire :allears:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
"what if Futurama, but too much?"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Aces High posted:

things I liked:

-New New Orleans, good vibe and kind of a shame it was introduced in an episode with such a tired premised

-Gumbotron, goes with the vibe of NNO but deserves a specific mention

-Bonebot, normally I'm not a big fan of puns but this worked and him inserting "bone" into most of his sentences was probably what made me chuckle the most in the episode

-Fry and Leela being a couple, any time they throw the spotlight on this makes me happy but that's also probably because of how dour a lot of the CC run was before they became a couple

All this I liked. I also actually liked the reveal of voodoo = actual science even if the Barbados Slim bit felt unnecessary. Cut him and give us more bonebot.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jehde posted:

As someone that has been watching zombie simpsons for a while now, it's a bit amusing seeing people expect better from futurama and disenchantment these days.

I will keep watching all this trash for those single episodes out of dozens that are somewhat novel and entertaining and make me think Groening animated shows still work, for a brief second.
i mean Futurama was in its prime when the Simpsons was entering its drop in quality. Not like these shows have identical writing teams.

Disenchantment was just frustrating because everything else was great. Looked fantastic, had a great soundtrack, rock-solid cast, and absolute dogshit writing. Futurama’s return being mediocre is just salt in the wound.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn’t realize Bonebot was a bought and was just like welp, I guess Futurama has talking skeletons now.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite is still the fact that there is a robot out there who was built for the express purpose of being a billionaire :allears:

And Hedonism Bot. Bender's "we need to be shut off! Especially you, Hedonism Bot." line always makes me crack up. A robot purpose-built to do absolutely nothing except consume and pollute.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hedonismbot is best bot, and I'll fight to the death defending his status as such

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

And Hedonism Bot. Bender's "we need to be shut off! Especially you, Hedonism Bot." line always makes me crack up. A robot purpose-built to do absolutely nothing except consume and pollute.

First appearance, best appearance, but Hedonism Bot always had great jokes, which is a lot more than you can say for Simpsons characters who should have been one-off jokes and stuck around for no reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYFT_iS-ovE

I apologize for nothing!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He's the best because the writer that created him puts him in every episode he writes in order to get paid for the character being used.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Holy poo poo that was absolutely and utterly terrible.
In some places it felt weirdly antivax as well. I just don't think you can make an episode about something like this so close to the event and have it not come across as weird.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, the very end of the episode felt incredibly alt med.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I don't think that's a solid reading, the joke is that Hermes' voodoo is exactly our modern process for creating a vaccine (vs. Farnsworth's shooting a space laser at microchips) and the professor is like, well, I guess I needed to open my mind to even this crazy hokum. But the audience knows it's not crazy hokum, because there's a whole scene in the voodoo lab where they talk about spike proteins and the present day process of vaccination.

I guess Hermes is inverting that famous Arthur C. Clarke quote at the end? But that just comes off as a joke about "he believes voodoo is magic because it's science sufficiently advanced enough to be indistinguishable from magic, like that sci-fi writer guy said!"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
No it was all the jokes about vaccines being untested.
The end was weird because of how they pitched it though

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I actually liked their take on Covid. It was the Barbados Slim cheating jokes I loving hated.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I actually liked their take on Covid. It was the Barbados Slim cheating jokes I loving hated.

Yeah, they hit it like five times in a row, none of the jokes are funny, and it also undercuts LaBarbara's previous characterisation. She just comes off as a major jerk who's torturing Hermes for no good reason.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It felt like she loving hated him and he felt like a useless dipshit fuckface dormat.

It made me like everybody involved less.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Android Blues posted:

I guess Hermes is inverting that famous Arthur C. Clarke quote at the end? But that just comes off as a joke about "he believes voodoo is magic because it's science sufficiently advanced enough to be indistinguishable from magic, like that sci-fi writer guy said!"

Oh, I didn't realise Arthur C. Clarke originated the "advanced science may as well be magic" thing. TIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Someonr on thr futurama has a cuck fetish becsuse theres been like 50 plotlines abt it that arent just hermes.