Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite Pokémon type?
This poll is closed.
Plain 6 3.17%
Hot 7 3.70%
Wet 15 7.94%
Green 11 5.82%
Shocking 2 1.06%
Cold 3 1.59%
Punchy 7 3.70%
Poisonous 4 2.12%
Brown 7 3.70%
Bird 11 5.82%
Weird 17 8.99%
Gross 11 5.82%
Solid 2 1.06%
Scary 8 4.23%
Dragon 5 2.65%
Creepy 18 9.52%
Mech 33 17.46%
Pink 22 11.64%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also the constant looming shadow of "Why isn't this a Dino Crisis game"

Regina deserves to return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's always funny when the game is canceled while still in early access, or goes 1.0 and then immediately gets unbirthed

remember when crucible was out for, like, a month and then never again

some goon was working on it and posted in the official thread and i felt bad raining on the parade, but i've been around the block enough that if you give me a MOBA that's using four unique modes as its main selling point, then i already know it's doomed (though even i didn't think it'd be that doomed)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't even know what an "extraction shooter" is

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Exoprimal has just enough meat to its odd little story that I'm fairly sure I'll play through to get to the end of that stuff, at the least.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I don't even know what an "extraction shooter" is

Get in
Do objective
Get out

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Is that just a mission? Sounds kinda like monster hunter. Get in do hunt get out

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
From what I can see an extraction shooter is where you get dropped into a pubg map and then try to escape with all the loot you can. And that's how Bungie is describing the new Marathon so I guess they're jumping on this trend and using an old name to drum up interest in their blind stab at a trendy genre. The whole thing sounds completely un-Marathon so I am now kinda bummed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Armored Core 6 is an extraction shooter

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

played some starfield, made my character (who is was a chef, and a worshiper of the Great Serpent from the mean streets of Neon City, whatever that means) with a horrible hosed up face covered in scars from what i can only assume was a horrible grease fire incident but whatever did happen she's got a bounty on her head and now she's off in the middle of nowhere stabbing pirates and spiky alien creatures with a knife

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

fridge corn posted:

Is that just a mission? Sounds kinda like monster hunter. Get in do hunt get out

kinda but in this analogy there's at least a handful of other teams out there who can KO you and take your carves and mats before you manage to actually escape

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The older and bigger games that defined the genre, Tarkov and Hunt Showdown, use their extraction shooter mechanics to make them into the world's most stressful battle royales

Deceive Inc. is the funniest game I've played and the extraction shooter mechanics just force a tempo to the shenanigans people get up to

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Extraction shooter just means expanding that one mode no-one liked from The Division into a full game. Basically go in, play team deathmatch until you find the loot, play king of the hill to end game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

emSparkly posted:

And that's how Bungie is describing the new Marathon

Wait Marathon is multiplayer and not a singleplayer game?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

njsykora posted:

Extraction shooter just means expanding that one mode no-one liked from The Division into a full game. Basically go in, play team deathmatch until you find the loot, play king of the hill to end game.

I feel like extraction shooter implies a long match with only a couple fights. That sets Hunt Showdown apart from a shooter with capture the flag mode. When something like Hyenas blurs that line, it loses its appeal to both crowds.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Deceive Inc. matches are fairly short and potentially rather frenetic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah I know why they're called "Extraction Shooters" ... because it's about as fun as pulling teeth!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now we know where the trailer budget really went

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxUmqQrMIWY
boy that trailer is ALSO garbage

click-dragging the frame around and jiggling it a bunch does not make "more" animation. they used every trick in the book to hide the low budgetness of it and managed to make it super obvious every time. on top of that it's extremely generic fantasy anime-looking. real disappointing that they split the budget for trailers up instead of really making an amazing papercraft trailer or something.

the Kamigawa trailer wasn't particularly amazing either, but it certainly knew how to hide its shortfalls stylishly, and had a climax that actually felt punchy rather than a slideshow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdXwsqmVoUI&hd=1

Infinitum posted:

The anime trailer's budget is probably getting Sawano to do a song for it.
yeah that's probably where the money went

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh mannnn, this is a big oof

Enchanted Portals came out. reviews are not kind

I was looking forward to it as a decent cuphead clone, the bosses looked neat. turns out it's super busted and lacking a ton of polish. that's a shame

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wrt extraction shooters I feel like Call of Duty DMZ has done a pretty good job at making a more approachable version of one of those. It's less complex than some of the other big names but there's still plenty of tension involved.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's always funny when the game is canceled while still in early access, or goes 1.0 and then immediately gets unbirthed

The dead island moba

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I still can't believe someone said "So here's the thing, you're in mechs, you've got dinosaurs all over the place, waves of dinosaurs, you've all got super powers in your mech suits to fight these waves of dinosaurs, no other game has this, it's great, you know what would be even better than fighting dinosaurs?

Other human players."

*wet fart noise*

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That one showcase where they spent like 5 minutes explaining what a battle pass is

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I still can't believe someone said "So here's the thing, you're in mechs, you've got dinosaurs all over the place, waves of dinosaurs, you've all got super powers in your mech suits to fight these waves of dinosaurs, no other game has this, it's great, you know what would be even better than fighting dinosaurs?

Other human players."

*wet fart noise*

EDF would never make us fight other people

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Finished GTA3 last night. Left some phonebooth missions and other easter eggs on the table. Did the remaster fix any of the QOL things that were needed? Make vehicles a little tougher, harder to flip? Thats the big one. Gonna move on to VC I think. I dont remember what improvements that made on 3, if any.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The "definitive edition" remaster is built on the phone port and is notoriously even more of a piece of poo poo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There's no real reason to put more time into GTA3 once you've beaten the main storyline unless you want to get up to Dodo shenanigans. Vice City improves on it in every way, pretty much. The remasters don't change that much either.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I tried the dodo a bit but controlling it with m&kb is a nightmare. Likewise doing drive bys. But I just cant bring myself to play a game with gunplay with a controller.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

codo27 posted:

I tried the dodo a bit but controlling it with m&kb is a nightmare. Likewise doing drive bys. But I just cant bring myself to play a game with gunplay with a controller.

play Sleeping Dogs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hwurmp posted:

play Sleeping Dogs

Evergreen advice :hmmyes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Good news, they're finally making a new James Bond game

Bad news it's on Apple Arcade

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Isn't IOI making a James Bond game? Or is that what you're talking about?

I can't really care about the idea of a James Bond game unless they want to go back to campy-played-straight Moonraker type capers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh right, they are.

No, this is a different game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mutata posted:

I can't really care about the idea of a James Bond game unless they want to go back to GoldenEye 007

Everything or Nothing was fun too though

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey! I didn't say what your post says I said!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

feel like ioi would be better suited to making a mission impossible game than a james bond one

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

i don't want horny iO interactive ever again

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hwurmp posted:

There was a PvP mode in Iron Rain, but it was completely optional and, surprise surprise, bad.

Basically it should've been EDF but dinosaurs, including dinosaurs inside of giant robots, and dinosaurs that had been genetically altered to be enormous, or breathing fire, or some wacky poo poo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

But they look just like us

:frog:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Runa posted:

But they look just like us