Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
An analyst saying "meat-wave zerg-rush" is setting off my bullshit alarm something fierce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gort posted:

An analyst saying "meat-wave zerg-rush" is setting off my bullshit alarm something fierce

Yeah, actual experts would compare it to Peter Jackson's orc waves

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Reminds me of the early days of the war when people, some of them surprisingly high ranked public officials or institutions, were trying to compare Putin to Voldemort in an effort to drum up Western support. It was so cringe I almost believed it was reverse psychology by Russian agents

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think "Dark Lord" would be Sauron and not Voldemort. Hence use of "orcs" for Russian Troops.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Brood War came out 23 years ago, I think it's pretty well established nomenclature for online posting by now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
UA has wiped out the VDV and Wagner, that is progress.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Has it?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

LifeSunDeath posted:

The 76th Guards Airborne is a VDV unit..

I also question Brynn's assertion that it is the "few" units capable of offensive action given what has occurred in Kupiansk and Kreminna.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

“Wiped out” is perhaps a stretch but “made both units combat ineffective in Ukraine” isn’t

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Some things might live on in name only, i've no idea what the casualty/attrition % is for the VDV but i doubt that it's positive for them.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

“Wiped out” is perhaps a stretch but “made both units combat ineffective in Ukraine” isn’t

VDV units are still active

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

fatherboxx posted:

VDV units are still active

Sure, but there's a question as to what those VDV units are actually comprised of - are they still highly-trained pre-war soldiers or reconstituted from newly raised volunteers? I'm reminded of the carrier battles in the Pacific in ww2, where the IJN lost basically irreplacable veteran flight crews even if they technically won the battle. Eventually the elite squadrons from the beginning of the war became elite in name only.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

MikeC posted:

I also question Brynn's assertion that it is the "few" units capable of offensive action given what has occurred in Kupiansk and Kreminna.

Months of inclusive trench warfare? Isn't that consistent with exhaustion?

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Looks like Russia has withdrawn from robotyne.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Funny was of saying they got kicked out like two weeks ago.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I meant more that if you can add a large number of even more inexpensive flying decoys, you don't actually have to give them sensors or explosives; it doesn't matter if they survive if their only job is to eat an AA munition instead of a drone that's got explosives, a camera, and the ability to recognize "that's an airplane" or "that's a boat" in the general vicinity of where you send it. All it needs to do is be able to travel in roughly the same direction at the same speed and be difficult enough to distinguish from the actual munition drones that it can contribute to overwhelming AA.

This is what Azerbaijan did during the 2020 war with Armenia. Except they took 1940s vintage AN-2 Colt biplanes and rigged them up with some kind of auto flying function then flew them into Armenian airspace. Armenia would see them on their radar and fire AA missiles at them which would then give away their position. Then Azerbaijan would hit the AA systems with drones. The cost to Azerbaijan was nil but the cost to Armenia was significant.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Neophyte posted:

Sure, but there's a question as to what those VDV units are actually comprised of - are they still highly-trained pre-war soldiers or reconstituted from newly raised volunteers? I'm reminded of the carrier battles in the Pacific in ww2, where the IJN lost basically irreplacable veteran flight crews even if they technically won the battle. Eventually the elite squadrons from the beginning of the war became elite in name only.

I think it was Jack Watling that pointed out that while VDV units have taken very heavy casualties, they seem to be able to regenerate combat power more effectively than "regular" line rifle units. That is, they can take in new recruits and turn them into effective soldiers. The latest RUSI report had a similar conclusion of Russian tank crews based on the actual performance of Russian tanks on the defense during the Ukrainian counteroffensive this summer.

As much as we may be astonished that Russia can reconstitute viable combat power, the facts suggest that they can, in fact, do so. Permit me a moment of ungracious smugness when I posted in late Spring 2022 that people underestimate just how quickly militaries can recover from catastrophic defeats in battle.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I'd also argue a force reconstituted with green soldiers is still combat effective, you just can't use them like you did before. Or shouldn't rather.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

mutata posted:

Brood War came out 23 years ago, I think it's pretty well established nomenclature for online posting by now.

Yeah I was going to say, the game is old enough that someone with a decade plus of academic and analysis experience could have easily played it as a kid.

And yes, that should make you feel old, just like when I recently learned one of my coworkers wasn't born when 9/11 happened.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Moon Slayer posted:

And yes, that should make you feel old, just like when I recently learned one of my coworkers wasn't born when 9/11 happened.
I was in a meeting a little while ago and someone was talking about the new WTC. One of the interns asked "what happened to the old one?". :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was in a meeting a little while ago and someone was talking about the new WTC. One of the interns asked "what happened to the old one?". :)

That's when you bust out your tattoo of a QR code that links to a Zeitgeist/Loose Change YT playlist.

Teach your children well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

I think it was Jack Watling that pointed out that while VDV units have taken very heavy casualties, they seem to be able to regenerate combat power more effectively than "regular" line rifle units. That is, they can take in new recruits and turn them into effective soldiers. The latest RUSI report had a similar conclusion of Russian tank crews based on the actual performance of Russian tanks on the defense during the Ukrainian counteroffensive this summer.

As much as we may be astonished that Russia can reconstitute viable combat power, the facts suggest that they can, in fact, do so. Permit me a moment of ungracious smugness when I posted in late Spring 2022 that people underestimate just how quickly militaries can recover from catastrophic defeats in battle.

I guess they didn't send ALL of their trainers to the front line last year when things were tight.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Apollo posted:

weforgot.jpg

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm surprised that Ukraine hasn't rigged up a drone that has a grenade launcher pointing downwards. Like a simple launcher like a Mk79. I've seen videos of the drones that simply drop grenades and I they are really good at it but also it seems they way they drop they wobble a lot and so accuracy isn't the best. If they were shot out of a rifled tube I'm sure the accuracy would be greatly improved. But maybe it's a weight issue. The drones can carry individual grenades but maybe a launcher would be too much for all but the larger drones.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ever shot a bullpup shotgun with no weight in the stock?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Charliegrs posted:

I'm surprised that Ukraine hasn't rigged up a drone that has a grenade launcher pointing downwards. Like a simple launcher like a Mk79. I've seen videos of the drones that simply drop grenades and I they are really good at it but also it seems they way they drop they wobble a lot and so accuracy isn't the best. If they were shot out of a rifled tube I'm sure the accuracy would be greatly improved. But maybe it's a weight issue. The drones can carry individual grenades but maybe a launcher would be too much for all but the larger drones.

You are turning a system designed to be ultra cheap and disposable to a system that is more costly yet will incur the same, very high attrition rate.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

a mavic drone couldn't carry that much extra weight (I think the lift limit is like 3 pounds), and only really heavy drones could handle the recoil but it would tear up the motors. dropping grenades is very effective and accurate, see videos where they swish them into hatches on tanks and APCs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Like you said, there's no extra capacity for that kind of thing, which wouldn't improve efficiency when you consider the reduction in grenade weight.

Also I don't think that Mk79 has laser accuracy either, especially when shot from a lightweight drone thrown around by wind. A bettert application would be an Uzi drone, anyway, if we were to ignore physics.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

incorporating physics, a tiny drone with 1 .22lr bullet or a few grams of high explosive probably scares me the most for potential political destabilization

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Charliegrs posted:

According to news items I've seen, there's a lot of people in Baltics and Poland who are 3D printing large quantities of stabiliser fins for drone delivered grenades. Not sure how much that helps, but I assume it does.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

According to news items I've seen, there's a lot of people in Baltics and Poland who are 3D printing large quantities of stabiliser fins for drone delivered grenades. Not sure how much that helps, but I assume it does.

If theyre 3d printing so many at this point, it seems like someone should just start injection molding these and mass producing some purpose built drone grenades. For a product like this, the casing, fins etc could be done pretty easily

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

Being able to carry an extra 3-6 grenades on a quadcopter drone is probably always going to be better than the weight of a grenade launcher. You can put fins on the grenades and drop them to within a few meters accuracy, which is plenty for a grenade in a field or trench

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
My guys the drone is the launcher. A purpose of the grenade launcher is to take the grenade to where you want it to go to. You know, like you're doing it with the drone.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

My guys the drone is the launcher. A purpose of the grenade launcher is to take the grenade to where you want it to go to. You know, like you're doing it with the drone.

No we need a gunpowder propellant or it's not a gun :freep:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

if this war doesn't lead to purpose built bomber drones becoming a thing, I'd be shocked. who knows what the capacity and accuracy could be if they were built from the ground up to do it, instead of being a strapped on bootleg mechanism that requires an auxiliary light to activate it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Just put four grenade launchers in a compas rose configuration and fire them all at the same time. The momentum from each will be canceled out and it'll be the closest thing you'll ever get to casting an AoE spell.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
UAV death blossom

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Moon Slayer posted:

Just put four grenade launchers in a compas rose configuration and fire them all at the same time. The momentum from each will be canceled out and it'll be the closest thing you'll ever get to casting an AoE spell.

This, my child, is the Zybourne Drone.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

this interview has some amazing tidbits, like pilots getting paid less than regular enlisted and not being given quarters and being told to man up and find your own place to sleep??? Then some commander having 2 helicopters run a sortie to pick up a purebred cat they stole and bring it back to russia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA34FKBFcQA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nenonen posted:

No we need a gunpowder propellant or it's not a gun :freep:
We need a projectile alignment chart.