Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Bethesda games are fun for loving around listening to a podcast. If you like BG3s level of polish or story or characters, there’s none of that there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Thinking about playing by house rules where I have to 100% scan a planet whenever I go there.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Bethesda games are fun for loving around listening to a podcast. If you like BG3s level of polish or story or characters, there’s none of that there.

yeah, that's actually a good indicator for if you are playing a good story, I never had anything on a second monitor for bg3, even if it got tedious in act 3

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

they really want u docking from far away cause if u got close to any of these space stations it's embarassing how lovely they look in scale to your ship. and the handling is soo bad , lmao.. GOTY tho 4r 4r

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
maybe reduce your speed if you want better handling.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Atoramos posted:

Starfield is ok but everyone is correct in saying it's Skyrim with a new coat of paint. Personally do feel like it would have been more impactful if it wasn't all tied to fast travel and the character models didn't look so Bethesda.

And yea, playing through BG3 with the wife and it's painful to try and be interested in a Bethesda game when we're enjoying BG3 on a whole different level.

Introducing hammy voice acting into ur play

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lol at BG3 devs admitting everyone being extremely dtf is due to a bug. the "old" behavior will become an hour 0 mod.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
hey its good that mods give people the option. Does the game have it's own mod manager or something?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

[me showing up to the pirate base in a brand new state of the art battleship] "hello fellow brigands"

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

wow quark is walter

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

maybe reduce your speed if you want better handling.

idiot moronr, at 0 "SPEED" u dont get pure rotation. . . . a ??

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lpzie posted:

wow quark is walter

Yeah and his character is fun and his part of the main quest is actually fun, one of the genuine bright spots in the crapola main quest

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Starfield was excruciatingly boring and I uninstalled it. Hopefully there are some good new games on Gamepass so I don't completely waste 10 bucks.

I do like the idea of being like the Chef or Professor background and in approximately twenty minutes of your life you go from non-combat miner to SOLO ASSAULT ON A PIRATE STRONGHOLD HOPE YOU WERE BORN TO KILL MOTHERFUCKER

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I became a peace enforcement expert for the UC

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

plz give me citizenship ;.;

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

man Chained Echoes is really good so far a couple hours in. Every novel thing it does seems really cool so far, the world is interesting to explore and lively, the overdrive system is a seriously clever way to outright reward you for playing weird and non-optimally, and best of all every character moves like greased lightning around the map. Picked this up instead when I discovered Sea of Stars had QTE combat which I already know I lose patience with in a few hours and it's got a lot more going on than just a "rando jrpg to scratch an itch" game

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

1stGear posted:

Starfield was excruciatingly boring and I uninstalled it. Hopefully there are some good new games on Gamepass so I don't completely waste 10 bucks.

I do like the idea of being like the Chef or Professor background and in approximately twenty minutes of your life you go from non-combat miner to SOLO ASSAULT ON A PIRATE STRONGHOLD HOPE YOU WERE BORN TO KILL MOTHERFUCKER

born to grill, stenciled on the side of a 40mm grenade launcher with white phosphorous rounds

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i got a semi auto aa-99 after scrounging up all the possible somewhat valuable trash i could carry. the gun is apparently an endgame weapon because it deals 10 times the amount of damage per shot as what i was previously using except for the slug shotgun, and even semi auto it has a pretty fast fire rate. the two boss enemies i came across died in like 4 shots instead of 50. bgs itemization rules

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

is there a way to turn the ship around quickly? because when a pirate zooms past you it takes like...an actual minute to reorient so you can shoot them again

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Popy posted:

I became a peace enforcement expert for the UC

Mr. Evart is helping me find my raygun

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

bitmap posted:

is there a way to turn the ship around quickly? because when a pirate zooms past you it takes like...an actual minute to reorient so you can shoot them again

slow down the ship to half speed. The tutorial literally tells you to reduce speed for the ship to handle better.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

bitmap posted:

Hold spacebar (or whatever the controller option) to move on thrusters, good for tight turns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else remember Independence War? Now there was a game that respected Newtonian physics

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
right there are thrusters.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/330110204429598750/1148896380354560000/RDT_20230906_042314.mp4

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

can't help but think how much of a pain it would be to clean the flanges in that door

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you know what, I think I'll just turn on infinite ammo and cruise through this here star field game real easy like

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

bitmap posted:

are you in the optimal turning speed? usually it's in the middle of the gauge

in addition you can go into the ship builder and reduce mass or increase engine power, your ships can become very nimble as long as you accept them being ugly, too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
another good gaming sesh. I love how you can power down your ship to go all stealth-like, but then, once it's time to go loud, you have to hit Alt and WASD to bring power up to all your systems and it feels like the actual movement of going through your console, flipping switches and pushing throttles to bring shields, engines, and weapons online

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah the animations on this are really good. Bethesda would get a lot less blowback if they didn't have the oblivion camera zoom in. Covid probably broke the design teams brains because they kept seeing those oblivion-irl memes

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Lpzie posted:

wow quark is walter

remember the 34th rule of acquisition 621, war is good for business.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I appreciate that they included a Vintorez in the game, love that gun

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

its really weird that they have this huge city you can run around with all these buildings and large lobbies, but you still have a loading screen when you hop into a tiny doctors office

can bethesda really not figure out how to get all the interiors to stream with the main map?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The hour I was able to play was fun. It is a Bethesda game in space and that is what I wanted. I liked the mining i did on thevsoace pirate moon, but quit before heading down to the base. :shrug:

Game looks like poo poo over cloud streaming. It sometimes artifacts or drops resolution during transitions. Inputs and audio will sometimes lag too, but this is the burden I must carry.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
object physics. bethesda has done it again.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Tankbuster posted:

right there are thrusters.

you need the first pilot park in the ship skill tree to use them just fyi

but also as others have said keep your ship speed in the highlighted middle speed zone and you’ll handle better.

also one thing that I notice happening a lot from the AI in both space and on-foot combat is that one of the lower level enemies will usually try to “bait” you out into chasing them down, while the others group up and fire on you together. don’t fall for that, stay close to the group and (once you have access to them) use the thrusters to rotate around quickly in their faces.

not sure if it’s easier on controller, but I have to really work the mouse to get the ship spinning flat on its y axis, so just be ready for that.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

RealityWarCriminal posted:

object physics. bethesda has done it again.

lol the first time I visited the cowboy town museum the physics on everything panicked, resulting in a lovely explosion of all that clutter.

never change Bethesda.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

god sarah is the WORST

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

hadrian and kaiser are just cooler versions of your actual companions :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

Game looks like poo poo over cloud streaming. It sometimes artifacts or drops resolution during transitions. Inputs and audio will sometimes lag too, but this is the burden I must carry.

They should have gotten a deal with GeForce Now. It would have been a big win with Game Pass integration already built up.