Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I got mine in a 4 pack for $15, which for merino is very spirit of costco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

So the Nemo Tensor is half-off right now. HMy partner has one and loves it, but I have a perfectly adequate Static V insulated pad. Is it worth splurging for the upgrade, or is REI just tossing out all of last year's pads to make way for the latest and greatest? You'd think Labor Day weekend would be a good time to catch people when they need new pads, but I don't know much about the gear retail game

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

Not a Children posted:

So the Nemo Tensor is half-off right now. HMy partner has one and loves it, but I have a perfectly adequate Static V insulated pad. Is it worth splurging for the upgrade, or is REI just tossing out all of last year's pads to make way for the latest and greatest? You'd think Labor Day weekend would be a good time to catch people when they need new pads, but I don't know much about the gear retail game

Yeah the Nemo Tensor is better all around than the Static V. The R-value on the Static V is like a 1 where as the NT is 2.5. Though for $10 more you could get the "insulated" NT which has an R-value over 4 which is really noticeable. You'd be able to use it in 3 seasons instead of just the warmer weather.

Also wanted to add that I've been using an insulated Nemo Tensor for about 3 seasons and never had it pop or any issues. Coldest I slept in it was about 40 F with a quilt and never got cold. Only compliant is that its loud as hell when you roll over due to the insulation layer crinkling haha

Ulesi fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 31, 2023

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

A brand new Nemo tensor lineup is allegedly coming soon (probably hence the sale) and are supposedly gonna be great

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I bought some Darn Tough and while they seem like excellent socks, if you have wide feet and your options appear to be "uncomfortably tight" or "heel cushion sitting on your ankle"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I bought some Darn Tough and while they seem like excellent socks, if you have wide feet and your options appear to be "uncomfortably tight" or "heel cushion sitting on your ankle"

Yeah to all the big footers out there, Darn Tough doesn't care about you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have wide feet and darn tough socks definitely go on snug but once they're on I find them extremely comfortable and not too-tight at all. They don't shift at all in the shoe which I rather like.. when it gets cold and dry "traditional" wool socks would slide down my leg or pool up around my arch which means being uncomfortable or finding a place to sit down, take off my boot, and fix it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Earlier this year I finally completed the gradual replacement of all my lovely old socks with DTs and it is fantastic.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah to all the big footers out there, Darn Tough doesn't care about you.

I'm a US 11.5 fairly wide.. am I a big footer? :tinfoil:

If that's a size they're not good in, I guess I'll keep looking

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i'm a 13-14, usually wide, and haven't had any issue with darn toughs v0v

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Thanks for the sock recommendations, I ended up ordering two pairs of darn tough over the calves to test drive and will see which I prefer. I’ll probably check out the Costco ones as well

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Verman posted:

I still have mine and only use it for winter or high altitude activities. They're great stoves but a bit bulky and heavy for summer backpacking. A pocket rocket is just so perfect given the small size and weight. Plus there's no risk of leaking fuel or setting something on fire while you're priming it. Fewer moving parts/things to break. I love my whisper lite but it's bulky and cumbersome for quick, light trips with an extra person or two.

I've found that pressure-regulated gas stoves work fine in any of the winter conditions I want to bother with, which generally means not any colder than 0F or -20C. A PocketRocket Deluxe or Soto Windmaster are both lightweight versions of regulated canister stoves. I've used one down to -10F taking care to keep the fuel warm, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

waffle enthusiast posted:

It the PR2 deluxe does. I have both — including the goofy windscreen for the GigaPower. The PR2 feels like it boils quicker, is more resistant to wind, and has better flow control. It also feels a little more stout (insofar as a tiny stove can feel that way).

I definitely prefer the PR2.

....$30-$40 for just the piezo igniter?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I always carry a lighter with me so an ignitor isn't a huge deal for me personally, plus it's just one more part to stop working.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Bloody posted:

A brand new Nemo tensor lineup is allegedly coming soon (probably hence the sale) and are supposedly gonna be great

Yeah my tensor insulated developed a leak the 2nd time I used it on soft flat ground that I had to patch.

The new lineup is rumored to use more durable material on the bottom.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Verman posted:

I always carry a lighter with me so an ignitor isn't a huge deal for me personally, plus it's just one more part to stop working.

Yeah I have a piezo igniter on my stove but I always just use a bic lighter because it's way faster and easier. The igniter takes up to 8 clicks clicks to light anything but I suppose it's good to have a secondary fire source.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

PR2 and PRD are both excellent but also somewhat different stoves - PR2 is more compact and igniterless, while PRD is slightly higher performing, especially in wind and cold.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I suppose it's good to have a secondary fire source.

I use my Morakniv and a 99 cent flint novelty keychain as my primary, because, you know, "bushcraft". And some weather resistant matches as a backup.

OK, I mainly use the knife/flint just because it produces no waste.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....$30-$40 for just the piezo igniter?

Right now at REI the PR2 Deluxe is on sale for only $13 more than the GigaPower.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e:

The GigaPower is…fine. I could just never get the flow regulated well; it’s always either full blast or below optimal flow becuse the controls are so twitchy. It’s also not great in the wind without the add-on windscreen plate.

When I switched to the PocketRocket 2 Deluxe this season it just felt a bit more like “oh, this is how a tiny stove is supposed to work. Solid controls. Feels a little more substantial (though, ironically, lighter). Easy to dial in the right flow.

It could also be that I normally camp around 10,000’ with some amount of wind. The GigaPower just may not be optimized for that. Idunno.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 1, 2023

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the gigapower was designed in 1999, and was great at the time. then a lot more development happened in upright canister stoves, and many better options exist now.

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Love the MSR pocket rocket 2, I got the deluxe with the piezo igniter. Usually works first click.

A Toaks 750 ml pot can fit the smaller fuel cans with enough room to toss a back up lighter on top. I just wrap the fuel can in a bandana to keep it from banging around.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

Manzoon posted:

I just wrap the fuel can in a bandana to keep it from banging around.

Thats a great idea! Can use it as my camp napkin too.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Went to grab a nemo disco 30 from rei but they're sold out nationwide ☹️

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Ulesi posted:

Thats a great idea! Can use it as my camp napkin too.

Makes a great insulator for picking up the pot handles too.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any thoughts on the REI trail 40? the trail 25 has been my daily for years. looking for something i can take on solo single overnight hikes as well as hauling groceries or flying with a few days worth of poo poo.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Guest2553 posted:

Went to grab a nemo disco 30 from rei but they're sold out nationwide ☹️

I just picked up a Disco 15 to replace the 30 degree bag I bought last summer. It does great for summer nights, but I struggle to stay warm at elevation or during shoulder seasons.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have an overstuffed 20 degree quilt for hammock and cooler weather camping with an r4.x pad, was looking for something a bit lighter to pair with a z-sol in milder weather. I can't justify spending a few hundred bucks from some super UL bespoke bag, so 2 lbs for 30 degrees and 150 bucks is a good sweet spot.

Still throwing about the idea of getting the 15 even though it's heavier and warmer than i want because :shepspends:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 2, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
so way back in March I posted in here about planning a bike touring trip that ended up not working out due to some life stuff. I did get as far as buying a tent for me and my partner, but I haven't figured out sleeping systems yet. thinking about trying to go camping at least once before the end of the year.

is there anything particularly noteworthy on sale from REI this weekend for sleeping bags/pads? I was debating a Nemo 30 or 15 - I probably wouldn't be camping out below 45F or so, but they're around the same price so I don't know if I should just go for the 15. Would want something fairly light and compact so I can bike with it, and maybe pair it with the Tensor?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

so way back in March I posted in here about planning a bike touring trip that ended up not working out due to some life stuff. I did get as far as buying a tent for me and my partner, but I haven't figured out sleeping systems yet. thinking about trying to go camping at least once before the end of the year.

is there anything particularly noteworthy on sale from REI this weekend for sleeping bags/pads? I was debating a Nemo 30 or 15 - I probably wouldn't be camping out below 45F or so, but they're around the same price so I don't know if I should just go for the 15. Would want something fairly light and compact so I can bike with it, and maybe pair it with the Tensor?

Get a down bag and an air pad since compactness is a auch a big plus for bike touring/bikepacking. How much insulation on either is kind of up to you… honestly a 15-20 bag is the most versatile for me but they also don’t pack down as much as a summer bag.

On touring especially you might finish a day at drastically different elevations which in the spring or fall could mean frosty temps.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I finally have enough Darn Tough socks so that I was able to get rid of everything else in my sock drawer besides cycling socks. REI has them at 25 percent off for their Labor Day sale. That was the deciding factor to finish my sock goal replacement.

And Mrs rear end Trophy surprised me by buying his and hers matching Nemo Disco 30 sleeping bags at 50 percent off. Both of us are side sleepers and it looks like these things should fit the bill for us. No more getting strangled in the middle of the night by mummy bags.

What do you wear for cycling?

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

jfff posted:

What do you wear for cycling?

For cycling I use whatever the teams I was on gave us for free. Honestly, I don"t even know what brands they are. I do know I don't have any Sockguy though. Those things, all I have to do is think about using them and they fall apart. But I have not been on a team for 5 years now, and I only have 1 pair of socks without holes, so it is probably time to buy my own cycling socks. I have been using some of the micro crew, lightweight no cushion Darntoughs for cycling, and they have been holding up well. I might just go that route.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Someone in the general bearshit thread was talking about bringing a tarp backpacking. I’ve been looking off and on but the ones at REI (e.g. Kammok/MSR) seem pretty pricey for just a 8’x10’-ish tarp — perhaps because of bells and whistles?

Is there a solid option for a moderately sized (ideally non-catenary) tarp for a backpacking kitchen/shelter that’s less than $150 or is that just kind of the sweet spot now?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Tarps are just surprisingly expensive from what I’ve seen. The slingfin nft (https://www.slingfin.com/products/nft) is not catenary and something of a current hotness but still $220 for a sheet feels pricey

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bloody posted:

Tarps are just surprisingly expensive from what I’ve seen. The slingfin nft (https://www.slingfin.com/products/nft) is not catenary and something of a current hotness but still $220 for a sheet feels pricey

Well yeah it’s an NFT of course it’s expensive.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Amazon has a number of ALLCAPS brand silpoly tarps available for cheap. I've got a Paria Outdoors tarp there years ago that's held up really well. Not sure if they're still around or not though.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

abraham linksys posted:

Look for a pad with an R value of 4 and up. Also, get a 25inch wide pad.
For a bag, I am in the camp that quilts are better. The down stuffing you are laying on in a bag is squished so it doesn't provide any insulation. So its just wasted weight. Look for a quilt with a comfort rating in the temp zone you are looking to see.

Also get a pillow. You'll thank me later. I bought a Hikenture inflatable pillow with a padded top off Amazon for like $20 and I don't leave home without it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

waffle enthusiast posted:

Someone in the general bearshit thread was talking about bringing a tarp backpacking. I’ve been looking off and on but the ones at REI (e.g. Kammok/MSR) seem pretty pricey for just a 8’x10’-ish tarp — perhaps because of bells and whistles?

Is there a solid option for a moderately sized (ideally non-catenary) tarp for a backpacking kitchen/shelter that’s less than $150 or is that just kind of the sweet spot now?

I keep a 6' x 8' Lewis N Clark tarp with my kit. It's rigged with paracord and Nite Ize Figure 9 biners for a ridgeline, loops on the opposite corners for stakes, and stored with a pair of small stakes. I can get it pitched between a couple trees over my hammock or for a quick ground shelter in a couple minutes that way, and I've slept on the ground with it wrapped around me like a burrito in the rain a handful of times. It doesn't breath very well is my only complaint. I've treated it with Nikwax waterproofer a couple times and it's been great over about 10 years. Packs down into its own pocket, maybe 8" x 6" x 2". Scale up a bit for an 8' x 10'.

I also have a Kelty Noah's Tarp. I only use one pole and hope for a tree or something for the other end. It packs down to about 12" x 6" in a stuff sack, doesn't weigh much. No complaints, it's been good but I haven't used it a whole lot, and only for car camping.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 5, 2023

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I just got back from a hiking trip in the alps, and my phone was a mess for navigation. It kept overheating and freezing, and had it rained it would’ve been useless. I’m thinking it’s time to get a smart watch with some sort of trail navigation. Something that I could copy a GPX to and then follow. I don’t need any fitness features - just reliable, precise navigation. Is there any product like this? The Garmins seem to be stacked with unnecessary logging features.

Bonus if I could also use it for directions when cycling around town.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I just got back from a hiking trip in the alps, and my phone was a mess for navigation. It kept overheating and freezing, and had it rained it would’ve been useless. I’m thinking it’s time to get a smart watch with some sort of trail navigation. Something that I could copy a GPX to and then follow. I don’t need any fitness features - just reliable, precise navigation. Is there any product like this? The Garmins seem to be stacked with unnecessary logging features.

Smart watches suck for this kind of thing. Maybe the Garmin Fenix line is okay (I haven't tried it) but you probably don't want to bother with anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Garmins will do this but I found mine annoying because it insists you do all the set-up and control on the watch, which has no touch screen, counter intuitive menus and fiddly hard to press buttons, rather than let the phone, with it's large clear screen and intuitive OS, do it.