Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Electric Phantasm posted:

Doesn't Facebook and Instagram not actually delete your account if you delete it?

They mark it as inactive but I think after a while it gets "deleted"

They still keep ghost accounts of people without created accounts though so they might just slot all the data into those instead of deleting it unless you live under GDPR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

big cummers ONLY posted:

I don't know where else to post this, so sorry if this is off-topic. I just forum-searched intitle:social media and this looked like the best fit.

I'm trying to permanently delete all my social medias because they are bad for my brain. I've immediately hit a snag with instagram. I'm already logged in, but they want me to enter my password for deletion. I lost the password. The links they send me to reset the password are instantly expired. Happens in chrome, firefox, and on mobile. It helpfully redirects me back to the instagram login page, and that's it! Is there another way to reset it? Am I just hosed? What a loving piece of poo poo.

It's really loving stupid of them but do you have a Meta account? I'm not sure if they even delete those but you might have to make one for Instagram's password functions to actually work now. Don't know if that's worth it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Just a fantastic job with the ads on Twitter. A+.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dick Trauma posted:

Just a fantastic job with the ads on Twitter. A+.

I got one earlier today that was entirely in Arabic

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

FlamingLiberal posted:

An agent will be by shortly. Please remain where you are citizen.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've had Arabic, French, Mandarin. Endless crypto and gambling no matter how often I say nope. Things with loving Pepe avatars.

It's almost as if sacking 99% of your ad targeting team might make for an even shittier user experience.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Any other site I’d point out that probably 90% of Pepe is twitch bullshit beloved by tweens who wanna spam him in Fortnite streams and such. They only know him as the dumb twitch frog and he’s been as reclaimed as can be for nazi poo poo.

X tho

Nah that’s nazi Pepe

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

14 words are now being promoted on Twitter...
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1697730698096914571?s=20

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I saw the "BanTheADL" trend and assumed it was for the other reasons, having it be just straight up nazi poo poo seems almost pedestrian. Good job on turning your platform into a Chan board, Musk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
This will definitely help the site re-attract advertisers and will definitely not serve the narrative that the CEO is a powerless figurehead

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I saw the "BanTheADL" trend and assumed it was for the other reasons, having it be just straight up nazi poo poo seems almost pedestrian. Good job on turning your platform into a Chan board, Musk

4Chan.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

CuddleCryptid posted:

𝕏Chan

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Nervous posted:

𝕏Chan

[xehanort]χ-chan![/xehanort]

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agents are GO! posted:

[xehanort]χ-chan![/xehanort]

XXXChan

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Relevant:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

He's not anti-semetic, he's merely asserting that a organization with Jewish origins is working behind the scenes to control the media

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Xand_Man posted:

He's not anti-semetic, he's merely asserting that a organization with Jewish origins is working behind the scenes to control the media

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1698760193335816289?t=D-2-V7hJCkwf4YJaor2cmg&s=19

Gee I wonder why the ADL might have a problem with banning a core religious practice of Judaism, I can't think of any reason that might set alarm bells off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Somehow I’m not surprised Cernovich has strong feelings about circumcision. Perhaps what twitter needs is some debate and discussion about the practice, perhaps involving analysis is the Silent Hill franchise.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Skex posted:

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1698760193335816289?t=D-2-V7hJCkwf4YJaor2cmg&s=19

Gee I wonder why the ADL might have a problem with banning a core religious practice of Judaism, I can't think of any reason that might set alarm bells off.

I don't think this paragraph of the letter is in any way defensible.

quote:

Given that 28% of Iceland’s tourists came from North America in 2016, Iceland’s standing in the U.S. should be of great concern from an economic perspective. We are confident that the vast majority of American tourists will avoid a country whose reputation is associated with Nazism, even if that association is not justified.

"Don't ban circumcision because it is a religious imperative in at least two major world religions"? I'm good with that. Go you. "Americans will think you're Nazis because you forbid circumcision"? Hell, Americans don't even call Nazis Nazis half the time, and very few of those 28% care enough about circumcision to boycott a vacation destination.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Don't ban circumcision because it is a religious imperative in at least two major world religions"? I'm good with that. Go you. "Americans will think you're Nazis because you forbid circumcision"? Hell, Americans don't even call Nazis Nazis half the time, and very few of those 28% care enough about circumcision to boycott a vacation destination.

Thing is it's both, the reason people will associate it with Nazism is because the law is aimed at a defining religious and cult practice that let's be honest is one of the few things that non Jews know is rear end with Jewish culture.

So a law banning the practice without a religious exemption is antisemitic on its face and it seems reasonable to me to point that out. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of the ADL, but I'm also not a member of cultural minority that had murder factories constructed to exterminate them so I'm not going to judge them for being a tad overzealous.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do they think they're gonna put your foreskin back on if you visit the country???

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did you read the rest of the letter? Misreading it like this would be a bit difficult if you read the entire page, but would be extremely easy if you only read the one paragraph clipped out of context by Mike loving Cernovich.

The thrust of that page of the letter is "Americans will think you're Nazis because prominent neo-Nazis will be loudly praising you in public for this action, both in the real world and on social media, and it will inevitably be picked up by media reports on new trends in neo-Nazism".

Nitrousoxide posted:

Do they think they're gonna put your foreskin back on if you visit the country???

No, they think that religious Jews (and Muslims!) who believe in circumcision will leave Iceland so that they'll be able to raise their kids in a country that allows circumcision, and that prominent and well-known neo-Nazis will absolutely love that and publicly praise Iceland for the policy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Skex posted:

Thing is it's both, the reason people will associate it with Nazism is because the law is aimed at a defining religious and cult practice that let's be honest is one of the few things that non Jews know is rear end with Jewish culture.

So a law banning the practice without a religious exemption is antisemitic on its face and it seems reasonable to me to point that out. I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of the ADL, but I'm also not a member of cultural minority that had murder factories constructed to exterminate them so I'm not going to judge them for being a tad overzealous.
The point I was trying to make, and I didn't, is about the threat that Americans, who make up 28% of Iceland's tourism, won't come any more. There's an empty chamber in that revolver. Some proportion of Americans will decide that it's explicitly anti-Semitic and boycott Iceland, which fair enough. The ADL is claiming that so many Americans will do so that Iceland's tourism is affected, which is nonsense. Very few Americans care enough -- whether they should or not -- about ethical boycotts of countries that they will change their vacation plans.

e: And you're quite right about not reading the entire thing, and I apologize for that.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Reminder that the ADL will smear anyone as antisemitic that dares to criticize the state of Israel about anything, but especially about settlements in Palestinian territories. gently caress Elon Musk, gently caress Nazis, gently caress (genuine) antisemitism, but also gently caress the ADL. There are no good guys in this story. I hope they sue each other into oblivion.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’m not sure this is a great time/place to “both sides” this particular fight.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

whydirt posted:

I’m not sure this is a great time/place to “both sides” this particular fight.

Why not. The ADL is loving terrible.

ken-watanabe-let-them-fight.gif

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
1): Musk’s complaint about the ADL has nothing to do with Zionism or Palestine and is about actual antisemitism on his platform, so the ADL is actually in the right in this specific context

2) Saying “Musk is right actually but not how you think” is dumb. Nazis and people we need to convince to abandon Musk/Twitter don’t care or won’t understand the nuance

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I wonder what company Elon Musk will buy next to insert himself into everyone's lives now that Twitter is X and is losing its influence. I still see inflammatory stories like the ADL one on the TV news, but they don't talk about twitter like they used to on the TV news as much.

Looks like he started an AI company so I'm sure I'll get to see plenty of him still.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there's a phrase for jumping in when somebody is blaming all of their failures on the Jews and being loudly supported by nazis to say that they kinda have a point based on something completely unrelated and it's not "having a good point"

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

evilweasel posted:

there's a phrase for jumping in when somebody is blaming all of their failures on the Jews and being loudly supported by nazis to say that they kinda have a point based on something completely unrelated and it's not "having a good point"

that one dril tweet about isis?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Automata 10 Pack posted:

that one dril tweet about isis?

I loving hate that quote because goons apply it to everything and have run it into the ground.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
Defending child genital mutilation is probably the worst single pro-ADL take, even worse than defending the horrible racism they aggressively peddle against Palestinians

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That the ADL immediately jumped to a weird blackmail tactic rather than say it's rather bad to blanket outlaw a more or less harmless religious practice doesn't reflect well on them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That the ADL immediately jumped to a weird blackmail tactic rather than say it's rather bad to blanket outlaw a more or less harmless religious practice doesn't reflect well on them.

That's the first thing they said. I'm not asking you to research the issue in-depth at all, since I didn't bother to do so either, but at least read the actual letter instead of taking Mike Cernovich's words at face value.

To clarify, Mike Cernovich is a notorious alt-right conspiracy theorist who played a leadership role in Gamergate, heavily pushed Pizzagate, thought Syrian chemical attacks were false flags by Americans, believes that date rape is a "liberal fiction", frequently makes false accusations of pedophilia, and has flirted with white supremacism (with a particular affection for anti-Semitic rhetoric). He is not a trustworthy source! I didn't think I would have to say this, but I didn't think I'd see even one person uncritically buying his anti-Semitic rhetoric here, let alone two.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Musk, Cernovich, and the rest are not anti-ADL because they're bad on Israel/Palestine, for gently caress's sake.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I thought cernovich was done in like, 2018. Havent seen him come up in years and I'm terminally online. Very sad to see he is still alive, F

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

big cummers ONLY posted:

I thought cernovich was done in like, 2018. Havent seen him come up in years and I'm terminally online. Very sad to see he is still alive, F
Very few right wing grifters ever truly go away

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

The ADL has been right-leaning drifting towards full on authoritarianism for awhile. They were quite chummy with the Trump admin, and gave Trump an award when Trump announced the relocation of the US Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. So as far as I'm concerned Musk/Twitter getting into a legal battle with the ADL is basically in-fighting on the right, which I am all about. It's as if Musk was suing the Federalist Society or ALEC or something.

There are other, better orgs to support for fighting antisemitism.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh yeah, real loving chummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The ADL has zero moral authority and has been carrying water for Israel apologists for as long as I can remember. Any damage this can do to them is a good thing.