Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Just saw this pop up on my Instagram. I don’t know if this is the same company as WickedBrick, but one of their display stands has a faint outline of the WickedBrick logo.

Either way, it’s in the US so shipping is faster, prices seems better too.

https://brickcessories.com/

It looks like they're not WickedBricks, it's got a similar logo in a similar place, but their product offerings are slightly different and their stud placements are in different places.

But for half the cost... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I had some quality issues with my Rivendell set that I built last week

Both instances it was the 1x2 pieces, white for the upside down gazebo supports and brown for the council of Elrond chairs (the brown ones had the poles sticking out for the chair armrests)

They were incredibly rigid and tight, very hard to squeeze studs into, and squeaked and grinded. I've never seen this before and it was an issue with every single piece of that type, maybe their tolerances were out of whack. This was a brand new sealed set ordered direct from Lego.com

Also an Elf hair/ear piece partially melted to the side of the bag

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

deoju posted:

Have you posted a stud.io file or instructions for that pit smoker anywhere. I checked your rebirckable page and didn't see it. I'd love to build it.
Ah, no, I've been posting to RB far less since I've been using more and more terribly illegal tech lol. I can make you up some instructions for the smoker. The tow ball is a little fragile because the hitch on the van is so low, but it would be easy to tweak a bit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just saw on Reddit that people who get to 10k votes on their ideas thing will get 3 sets worth up to a total of 500 dollars even if they aren't selected. So I guess it does pay to just shotgun whatever is popular. Put minimum effort into making something in studio that's attached to a massively popular IP and then you get 500 bucks worth of lego.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wait? Really? I've never heard or seen that before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://ideas.lego.com/guidelines

I can see now why that one guy keeps submitting fishing village or mining village or whatever all the time. He gets 500 bucks every time one of those gets to 10k.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Yeah they need to remove that incentive ASAP. I can't imagine they feel good about paying it out with 50 sets in review and 10% of them being the same thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe 4 of the exact same Taylor Swift sets will make them rethink it. I would be fine if they just changed the rules to you get the 500 bucks of lego if your ideas set is an original IP. Some of these original sets are pretty detailed and I think they should get some sort of recognition for getting an idea past the posts that isn't tied to a massive license. But anything tied to something they would have to license should not get the consolation prize. It's too tempting to game the system.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe 4 of the exact same Taylor Swift sets will make them rethink it. I would be fine if they just changed the rules to you get the 500 bucks of lego if your ideas set is an original IP. Some of these original sets are pretty detailed and I think they should get some sort of recognition for getting an idea past the posts that isn't tied to a massive license. But anything tied to something they would have to license should not get the consolation prize. It's too tempting to game the system.
This does still encourage the ol' popularity contest, though. For instance, I think anything Norton74 submits will get to 10k every single time. I don't know what kind of internal limits they have in place for this sort of thing but it seems they are having no problems at all getting enough Ideas submissions, so why even have this incentive anymore?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
It was me. I submitted all 4 Taytay houses under different names to get that free Lego swag. Stop hatin'.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Flyinglemur posted:

It was me. I submitted all 4 Taytay houses under different names to get that free Lego swag. Stop hatin'.

I should have known when part of one of them was an SSBN

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

I should have known when part of one of them was an SSBN

:ssh:

C'mon man. OPSEC and poo poo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
drat...so one needs skill in advertising their garbage, not in actually creating the garbage. $500 is not bad at all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I smell goon project!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just want to see Carbs get to 10k. So many amazing MOCs that don't get the recognition they deserve.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This time it's carbs. Need that Apolo Motel.
Next time it's that blue-print accurate seawolf the one goon has slowly been leaking the last few months.
Obviously in pastel dazzle camo to get it past the sensorscensors.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Carbs should run a workshop so I can learn how to build my brain is fried from too many marijuana cigarettes and I can’t figure out how the pieces go together

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
He does livestreams on Thursdays, or used to?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Sunk Dunk posted:

Carbs should run a workshop so I can learn how to build my brain is fried from too many marijuana cigarettes and I can’t figure out how the pieces go together

The Carbohydrates School for Goons Who Can't Build Good and Want to Do Other Stuff Good Too

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Dogen posted:

He does livestreams on Thursdays, or used to?
Used to, haven't in about a year. Just don't have the time!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

Used to, haven't in about a year. Just don't have the time!

Relatable! I could never make it because of a long-standing obligation at that time

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

deoju posted:

Have you posted a stud.io file or instructions for that pit smoker anywhere. I checked your rebirckable page and didn't see it. I'd love to build it.
instructions, inventory

grab your wieners

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

HootTheOwl posted:

This time it's carbs. Need that Apolo Motel.
Next time it's that blue-print accurate seawolf the one goon has slowly been leaking the last few months.
Obviously in pastel dazzle camo to get it past the sensorscensors.

Hey hey hey! It's a 688. If I wanted to build a Seawolf I would just take a huge dump into my pile of black bricks.

Source: I served on two 88s and the Seawolf. I have much fonder memories of the older boats.

I was finally able to get back to work on it today on Studio and I think I made a huge leap forward. By the end of the week I should be able to order a bunch of bricks and start to build the concept. I have high hopes, actually. The other times I've felt good about this I ended up throwing all the pieces at the floor and cursing a lot, so who knows!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hey I played the demo for Silent Steel! I think I know what a Seawolf and a kilo class submarine are, xo. :smug:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

HootTheOwl posted:

Hey I played the demo for Silent Steel! I think I know what a Seawolf and a kilo class submarine are, xo. :smug:

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I played a ton of Silent Service II as a kid if that counts for anything

tench class submarine when

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Holy moly. Thanks for this. :weiner:

For some reason Anthony Wiener has his own emote.:iiam:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So has anyone's Concorde actually shipped yet?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

This probably isn't the best environment for this question, but what do you guys think of current/recent City sets from an adult perspective? I don't have children, I am the manchild. I realized that I like playful, kid-oriented sets a bit more than display, adult-oriented sets, I guess they satisfy my nostalgia better and I find the fact they're easy to peer into without dismantling them or removing roofs (unless wanted) very attractive.

I really like cities, and I really like the modulars but 1) the thin baseplates 2) the hefty prices 3) the very limited selection unless you pay through the nose for retired ones doesn't seem ideal, while Lego City sets are plentiful, on significant discounts and there's a ton of them.

Though they do seem a *bit* too colorful and unrealistic, but hey that's Lego for you, the MOCs that go for realism are usually kinda boring

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They have sent me a tracking number at least. The DHL website sucks

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Like a lot of you, I have zero space for this but goddamn do I want to put it together

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

TorakFade posted:

This probably isn't the best environment for this question, but what do you guys think of current/recent City sets from an adult perspective? I don't have children, I am the manchild. I realized that I like playful, kid-oriented sets a bit more than display, adult-oriented sets, I guess they satisfy my nostalgia better and I find the fact they're easy to peer into without dismantling them or removing roofs (unless wanted) very attractive.

I really like cities, and I really like the modulars but 1) the thin baseplates 2) the hefty prices 3) the very limited selection unless you pay through the nose for retired ones doesn't seem ideal, while Lego City sets are plentiful, on significant discounts and there's a ton of them.

Though they do seem a *bit* too colorful and unrealistic, but hey that's Lego for you, the MOCs that go for realism are usually kinda boring

I think Creator 3-in-1 and Friends typically beat City at its own game but the line has been pretty good in the past year or two.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

TorakFade posted:

City as in Lego line? I like the train. Too bad my kid had it all set for a total of week. Now it's being covered in dust on the sideline.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No :mad:

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

TorakFade posted:

My kid has a fair amount. I frankly wish he'd go for the Friends stuff because their colors are so much better and look ncredible, but he can't get over the mini dolls being different.

That being said, there's a lot of great stuff in the city line if you're choosy. My favorite vehicles are snowplow 60083, street sweeper 60249, and any of the new ice cream/slushie trucks. There's a really nice lineup of animal rescue stuff thats recent.

The thing to watch out for is year after year is a lot of re releases of fire and police. I ended up getting him clone sets of 60130 prison island and 60204 hospital because that stuff is more uncommon. You could certainly MOC or bricklink the pieces.

In my dreams when he's a bit older I'll get all these big sets he has together, then fill it in with stuff like carbs' motel and cars.

https://youtu.be/SSORFAEONVo?si=_yDuD6g1pmspR_Va this was a nice video I saw about how to do some city buildings. There's been some real nice looking ones on the bricklink ideas submissions as well

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 6, 2023

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think Creator 3-in-1 and Friends typically beat City at its own game but the line has been pretty good in the past year or two.

Friends has some cool buildings (others are kinda meh, to me looks like City is more... consistent? At least the recent stuff you can get on the official site) but they crank up the "whimsical" element to 11 and I really, really can't get over how terrible those minifigs look. I doubt I'll ever be able to like any minifigs that are not the "classic" ones.

I also didn't realize there were a fair bunch of modern 3-in-1 buildings too, I thought it was mostly animals/vehicles/fantasy stuff! Thanks for that, they even look like they'd fit right alongside the Lego City line stuff even if they're a fair bit more detailed. The scale seems to be comparable, too

at the moment I'm really intrigued by 60380 downtown and 60365 apartment building to start building my very own town... to then add to with extra road plates + some more buildings as we go and I free up space in the house/extra money for frivolous purchases. There's no end to this, is there? :retrogames:

alex314 posted:

City as in Lego line? I like the train. Too bad my kid had it all set for a total of week. Now it's being covered in dust on the sideline.

Yeah I meant the line. I also love trains but I reeeeally dont' have the space to lay out long tracks so that'll have to wait until I can spare a whole Lego room :v:

e:

trevorreznik posted:

My kid has a fair amount. I frankly wish he'd go for the Friends stuff because their colors are so much better and look ncredible, but he can't get over the mini dolls being different.

That being said, there's a lot of great stuff in the city line if you're choosy. My favorite vehicles are snowplow 60083, street sweeper 60249, and any of the new ice cream/slushie trucks. There's a really nice lineup of animal rescue stuff thats recent.

The thing to watch out for is year after year is a lot of re releases of fire and police. I ended up getting him clone sets of 60130 prison island and 60204 hospital because that stuff is more uncommon. You could certainly MOC or bricklink the pieces.

In my dreams when he's a bit older I'll get all these big sets he has together, then fill it in with stuff like carbs' motel and cars.

haha I'm basically your kid then. Yeah I'm less interested in police/fire stations and I can see those get rereleased all the time, I do like houses, shops etc more - and I already have a bunch of emergency vehicles, no real need for their specific buildings now (also I could build them out of old lego bricks since the current ones seem to be a bit lackluster imho, at least compared to say Downtown)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 6, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't worry if it gets delayed, it will be delivered at supersonic speeds to make up for it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'd much rather go see/buy and build/design myself a city layout made from Lego City, Friends, and 3-in-1 sets (the houses and buildings often have alternative houses and buildings as their bonus builds so you could even double or triple up) than one made out of the modulars. I think the modulars are super nice, obviously, but the other stuff is just way more over the top and not as "fun".

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/series-1/587/DownTown-Loft

This one was linked by Carbs a while back, I would like to have a few in various colors in a city layout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm really enjoying the new Dreamzzz stuff for being colorful and fun builds. Haven't gotten the sharkboat yet but the Treehouse and the Stable were fun.