Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Spek posted:

It doesn't normally bother me that Jeremy is just kinda there, but that balloon task really made me wish I could have seen Greg's reaction to Ray's attempt at the balloon task.

According to Mel's twitch recap streams, they cut a lot of studio footage. Even task footage that's already screened to the audience gets cut. I'm starting to think there's probably a lot of Jeremy that gets cut too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

jeremy's "i'll be genuinely surprised if we ever see something shitter than that, ever" got a good laugh from me

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Spek posted:

Karen becoming Ray was glorious. Excellent bit of improv humour from her.

she was doing one of his bits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da2D9fudGC8

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Melanie Bracewell is doing an E05/06 recap stream right now on twitch, with Ray O'Leary.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I keep forgetting that they air two episodes in a row!

E: Another great multipart task, which I suspect will turn out to be a trilogy somehow. Maybe the divorced couples will be tasked to reconcile in the most heartfelt way? Wonder how long the studio task originally was. Looked like there was a small egg graveyard next to the ramp at the end.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Aug 30, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The studio task turned from cute to glorious when the team of three started hurling eggs at the opponents' car.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

itry posted:

Melanie Bracewell is doing an E05/06 recap stream right now on twitch, with Ray O'Leary.

was watching her vod from last week when I aw she was live. great fun.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Yeah, it has potential.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I’ve spent the last few weeks wondering why Karen looked so familiar, it was only that task in ep 5 which made me realise she was the cop in What We Do in the Shadows/Wellington Paranormal.

If you think you recognise a New Zealander, it’s probably going to be from either Lord of the Rings or What We Do in the Shadows. Or maybe Xena Warrior Princess.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Creature posted:

I’ve spent the last few weeks wondering why Karen looked so familiar, it was only that task in ep 5 which made me realise she was the cop in What We Do in the Shadows/Wellington Paranormal.

If you think you recognise a New Zealander, it’s probably going to be from either Lord of the Rings or What We Do in the Shadows. Or maybe Xena Warrior Princess.

Dai was in an episode of Xena, lol.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Lol, really? Which one? I gotta see this.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Leraika posted:

Lol, really? Which one? I gotta see this.

Old Ares Had a Farm, apparently.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Creature posted:

Watch Guy Mont Spelling Bee, and you'll see every TMNZ contestant and the four comedians they have left for a fifth season. After that the contestant are going to be Paul in a wig, Peter Jackson, an Australian that thought they were on the AU version, a random brit comedian on holiday, and David Coreos #2

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Karen’s wedding was adorable.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Slyphic posted:

Watch Guy Mont Spelling Bee, and you'll see every TMNZ contestant and the four comedians they have left for a fifth season. After that the contestant are going to be Paul in a wig, Peter Jackson, an Australian that thought they were on the AU version, a random brit comedian on holiday, and David Coreos #2

I'm watching episode 6 right now and it's probably the best one so far. Ray O'Leary had some good silly material for his introduction. First round was some real classic bullshit. The bit with the Twidles was gold.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Something with the studio editing still feels a bit off, but these last two episodes have been great. I loved the last live task, any live task that ends with someone attempting to cheat by throwing things is hilarious!

Also I've been catching up with the podcast and the one with Andy Devonshire was fun, the way Ed kept asking for a way to be in taskmaster again and he'd go "Are you crying Ed?".

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Karen’s wedding was adorable.

Shame it didn't last.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Me and my gf are slowly catching up on old seasons of Taskmaster NZ, and currently are making our way through season 2. Just watched the episode where they had to make dis tracks of the other team, and we were bent over laughing, between Matt Heath not know what it meant to eat someone's rear end, and David going absolutely over the top with his lyrics to the point where he brings in cookies to apologize, just great. That and the 'keep this phone on you' challenge was just incredible. Also really enjoying the lewd goblin energy that Laura Daniel is bringing to the show.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I love :cool:COOL RAY:cool:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Best episode of the season. Probably. Not like I'm keeping notes or whatever. :coal:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I felt there was a sharp increase in quality in the last 3 episodes.

I'm surprised that even though they understandably didn't allow Bubbah's initial prize task entry, they didn't cut the discussion of it. I don't think anyone on TMUK ever complained about it in the studio, and there have been quite a few rejected prize task entries over the years.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Paladinus posted:

I'm surprised that even though they understandably didn't allow Bubbah's initial prize task entry, they didn't cut the discussion of it. I don't think anyone on TMUK ever complained about it in the studio, and there have been quite a few rejected prize task entries over the years.

There's been at least one I can think of - Sarah Kendall tried to submit a stolen road sign, was told no, and submitted a (stolen from her dressing room) minifridge instead.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Paladinus posted:

There were enough callbacks to the gun that I figure they had to leave it in to make the editing easier.

The competition is insanely close this year, only 14 points separating last and first with 3 episodes to go. Hell, there's some series that have had a 14 point gap between first and second at times. I know the winner doesn't really matter, but I'd love to see Bubbah on an eventual CoCNZ and she has been making a crazy push, Angella Dravid style, these last few episodes.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The "be the coolest" task was an absolute riot. There's been a very similar task in the Norwegian and Danish versions of the show, each of which required you to prove yourself the coolest to a panel of pre-teens. A single teenager scrolling absently through her phone is probably the harder task by an inch or two - at least the pre-teens were occasionally impressed by something. Also, eagle-eyed viewers elsewhere have spotted that Pearl also appeared as one of the teenagers from Guy Mont-Spelling Bee...

Speaking of the Nordic versions, Channel 4 in the UK has not only released three series of TM NZ, but also two series of Bäst I Test under the more descriptive translation "Taskmaster Sweden". It's made by the national broadcaster in Sweden, so it's a bit like imagining how the BBC would make Taskmaster - the sharper edges are filed off, but without ad breaks each show clocks in at a full hour.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Creature posted:

I love :cool:COOL RAY:cool:

if he isnt cool then why would they call him cool ray

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
c o o l r a y

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

for a 'grab something from the kitchen on the way to the studio' prize task guy, dai consistently brings in the stuff i most want to have

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Shouldn't Pearl the Teenager have scored how cool she thought they were? How would Jeremy know?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Per posted:

Shouldn't Pearl the Teenager have scored how cool she thought they were? How would Jeremy know?

Yeah, that kind of annoyed me, but others have said the scoring in NZ is just weird and different to other versions of TM.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Per posted:

They also didn't let Paul score the task where he was the one being surprised. It's easy to explain why the character of Taskmaster, being an egomaniac, wouldn't want someone else to score a task, so maybe they had to cut that for time, like a lot of studio banter, apparently.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Maybe she thought they were all lame. Or maybe it was just... the cool thing to do. :c00l:

Edit: Supplementary material for NZ Ep. 8

https://shows.acast.com/bananapod

https://shows.acast.com/vaguely-interesting

itry fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 5, 2023

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Cool Ray smoking a piece of paper in front of a teen is very very near the top of the “Most insane thing someone has done on Taskmaster” ranking.

Overall that episode was really fantastic.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cool Ray smoking a piece of paper in front of a teen is very very near the top of the “Most insane thing someone has done on Taskmaster” ranking.

It's a shame it's overshadowed Mel's completely misguided and almost equally unhinged cool bus driver routine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The acceptance speech live task was great; normally live tasks aren't really the selling point of the show but this season they really shine.

Holy hell can Karen talk fast.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I never miss the opportunity to extol the virtues of horse meat. There's still a lot of stigma surrounding it, especially after various frozen food scandals, so it was encouraging to see it on national TV.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

The bus is moving. He...died.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Two things:

- The commercial bumpers for episode 7 were horrifying (like, in a good way) and I do not care to see up Paul's nose again

- Mel got robbed on the "win something" task

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I was nearly crying laughing at Ray’s attempt.

Episode 7 as a whole was so fantastic. Multiple moments that had me dying.

The speech live tasks was one of the best live tasks in an version of TM.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I love in Dai's attempt when a bit of the curtain falls down behind him and he goes "Please say this is someone coming to save me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was behind on the episodes this week, just caught up. These live tasks have been fantastic, and I echo everything everyone said about c o o l r a y.

Also, UK S16 starts on 21 Sep.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/entertainment/taskmaster-season-16-release-date-confirmed-newsupdate/