Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
TBH Virgin also had a pretty poo poo flight credit policy, where I was only allowed to use half of my credit because the flights I originally booked had 2 passengers despite me having paid for the flights.

My 2x return tickets to Melbourne because a 1 way trip to Sydney, what a ripoff (and don't get me started about having to go to Sydney!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Qantas is dramatically far behind other carriers in the quality of their international products, but also stuff like their business class lounges are a joke. I flew Emirates out of Melbourne and the Emirates lounge was like 1000x nicer than the Qantas one

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-05/qantas-alan-joyce-fall-from-grace-qatar-accc-flights-shares/102810986

ABC News posted:

...The only group backing him are investors, who have been on the receiving end of a vast flood of cash, courtesy of ultra-high airfares and taxpayer funds.

Well, it's achieved both the main goal and continuing the proud traditions of privatisation - turning something with broad benefits into dogshit for a quick buck.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if Jetstar get done on this as well, had it happen a couple times in the last few months.

Incidentally, does anyone else read the thread title to the tune of "Come on Eileen"

Every time.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Your thoughts I confess
verge on Nazi
so gently caress off Pauliiiine

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I fly on Qantas at minimum twice a month and they suck poo poo but there's no other option if you need flexible flights. You're just stuck with them.

E: virgin are also poo poo with cancellations and stuff. They might be better but they don't have enough services on my routes so I'm stuck either way.

EE: chairman's lounge is pretty nice tho ngl

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m curious - I haven’t been on a plane since like 2014, ever since I discovered how much more enjoyable it was to take road trips and just drive between places when I wanted a holiday.

Is Qantas noticeably worse than other airline options or are they all poo poo? I’ve only ever flown with Qantas. I kinda get the impression all airlines are awful and nobody actually likes having to get on a flight unless they’re the sort of people who can afford to only travel in business or first class. That’s certainly how I feel.

They're all fine, especially now that T4 at Tullamarine is an actual terminal instead of a baggage collection point encircled by chain-link fence with the howling winter wind coming off the tarmac. I have no problem with sitting in a chair watching movies while people bring me alcohol and I don't understand why people are such gigantic crybabies about flying.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Combatant posted:

Incidentally, does anyone else read the thread title to the tune of "Come on Eileen"

Yes

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
Auspol 2023 - Joycie's Midnight Runners

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

freebooter posted:

They're all fine, especially now that T4 at Tullamarine is an actual terminal instead of a baggage collection point encircled by chain-link fence with the howling winter wind coming off the tarmac. I have no problem with sitting in a chair watching movies while people bring me alcohol and I don't understand why people are such gigantic crybabies about flying.

Because when you fly for work a lot and they cancel your flights, gently caress your day and make it hard it's aggravating? Tbf it's actually been much better lately but up until about April it was absolutely hosed and basically not worth flying same day.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
https://x.com/picketer/status/1698863811778994377?s=46&t=-SJ0iV1ryOF9h29u1nKy4g

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
x.com links dont embed fwiw

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

me except its my fourth soju, all those fancy ipas are shite

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

x.com links dont embed fwiw

I’m going to find Elon and make him drink a Swedish cocktail

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GoldStandardConure posted:

soju mixed with ipa is actually ftw

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

soju mixed with ipa is actually ftw

will try this at some stage and report back, till then i'm keeping my eye on you

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

get like, a normal one and not one with a pun name based around a cartoon character or a picture of a hop flower on the front riding a skateboard those are always bad

as a professional service to the thread if a beer of any sort looks like a webcomic artist made the can cover its total dogshit youre welcome

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Prediction: QAntas will demand a government bailout within the next 3 years because they can't afford new planes.

And they will get it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

JBP posted:

Because when you fly for work a lot

Check out HE Pennypacker over here!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

freebooter posted:

I’ve always been a bit weird about personal space, especially around strangers and nobody should have to be as physically close to a person you aren’t currently loving as you’re forced to be on an economy flight. Plus economy seats are designed for stick people these days not broad shouldered well fed goons.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

freebooter posted:

They're all fine, especially now that T4 at Tullamarine is an actual terminal instead of a baggage collection point encircled by chain-link fence with the howling winter wind coming off the tarmac.

Haha not on the airlines I fly.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

get like, a normal one and not one with a pun name based around a cartoon character or a picture of a hop flower on the front riding a skateboard those are always bad

as a professional service to the thread if a beer of any sort looks like a webcomic artist made the can cover its total dogshit youre welcome

Philter do excellent designs on their cans.

IPAs, guitar pedals and weed are 3 wildly different products that all use the same tactic of dressing up exactly the same thing with a pun/cool name and graphic to sell it to different people. unsurprisingly the target demographic for all 3 items is the same group of people (I regularly buy all three shut up)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve always been a bit weird about personal space, especially around strangers and nobody should have to be as physically close to a person you aren’t currently loving as you’re forced to be on an economy flight. Plus economy seats are designed for stick people these days not broad shouldered well fed goons.

eh, it's public transport. Squashing people in for cheaper ticket prices is what is to be expected. Honestly the back of long haul international is getting better with the newer planes like A350, A380 or B787s.

I will agree with JBP that getting the flights hosed about all the time is a real pain in the arse. Australia by far and away has been the biggest headfuck for organizing (other people's) international travel since covid hit, taking waaay longer to return to normalcy than other parts of the world. Had a workmate get stuck out of Aus away from his family for months then they just cancelled his flight and rebooked him like five weeks later. So the best thing to do is to book a different airline and wear the loss on the original $15k ticket (because flexible tickets were unavailable for a bit). But of course the new one got cancelled and rebooked as well...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

whenever I check in with Jetstar or Virgin I go straight to the service desk and politely ask the nice lady at the counter if theres any chance of an upgrade to an exit row. 3 out of 5 times its worked. last time I flew to Melbourne I didnt even get a chance to ask and they upgraded me when I checked in my oversize luggage (FYI Virgin do free oversize for musicians carrying guitars!)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Laserface posted:

Philter do excellent designs on their cans.

agreed, i also like the aesthetic of the young henrys cans. i think a criminally overlooked aspect of graphic design in this area is consistency. you should be able to remove the logo and have a range be immediately identifiable as related to the other cans in that range. a lot of places have wildly varying and unrelated typefaces, colour schemes and motifs and are clearly just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks. you can almost universally extrapolate from the desperate kind of scattershot marketing these places use that the beers are in kind not consistently thought out and designed. anyway ill have a 25 dollar burger and an oat cream ipa thanks

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i dont ever really feel cramped in economy but the longest flight ive ever done is brisbane to melbourne and i can imagine for anything longer than that youd be at risk of going completely fuckbrained at the lack of personal space

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would stand and hold onto a rail if it meant the flight left roughly on time.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Flew back to visit Aus from the States a few weeks back with the family flying United.

On the way back our flight got cancelled due to mechanical issues and they rebooked us on Qantas.

From re-checking in the Qantas staff were way more helpful and mindful of us travelling with kids than United ever were. They immediately noticed that United had rebooked the kids in seats separate from us on the flights and spent a bunch of time on the phone with their corporate booking office shuffling things around and making sure we were all close together.

On the flight the seats for me were more comfortable than United, my wife didn't like them as much though, but the seats reclined further than the United ones did without impacting people behind as much. The pillows and blankets were much nicer, they automatically gave you headphones and some toiletries.

We both thought the food and drink was much better on Qantas, the attendants came by more often with food and snacks, they were more patient with the kids choosing what they wanted, and overall seemed much less harried and overwhelmed than the United staff did in general.

The touchscreen on the Qantas in seat entertainment was some dogshit resistive garbage, and they had about a third the content United did and way less subtitled options than United which was disappointing to me with hearing loss.

My main disappointment with Qantas was I ended up leaving a Kindle in the seat pocket. I emailed them almost immediately after realizing, but they said they hand things over to the local airport lost and found. I emailed the airport lost and found and after a day or two they said things found on the plane were the airlines responsibility and I should contact them. At that point I clearly wasn't going to get it back, it was just a Kindle but felt like there should be a better procedure, but frankly I doubt any other airline would be any better really.

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Don't mind Qantas, they booked me on flights (for free) the next day back from Asia when I missed the flight due to another airlines delays (no, not a part of oneworld alliance) so that was nice of them. We need a national carrier, just re-nationalise it. One can dream.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
remember when Joyce shut down the airline to lock out workers as part of a dispute with the unions, well they kept selling tickets then too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7t4UJd3xIQ&t=259s

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

go_banana posted:

We need a national carrier, just re-nationalise it. One can dream.

Yes, and YES.

Also if we are whinging about flights/airlines, I once flew Chengdu to Melbourne direct on Sichuan Airlines. No screens in the back of the seat to watch old Mr. Bean episodes, one small meal on a 14 hour flight, and lovely uncomfortable seats.

Would fly again, as it saved me both at least one airport transfer, and several hundred dollars had I taken a more convenient/comfortable flight.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

Drink Swan Draught like a real Western Australian you poser.

Or if you're more of the skullet variety Western Australian, 'sport.

EDIT: The three types of Western Australian:
* Poser
* Mullet
* Skullet

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 6, 2023

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Drink Swan Draught like a real Western Australian you poser.

Or if you're more of the skullet variety Western Australian, 'sport.

EDIT: The three types of Western Australian:
* Poser
* Mullet
* Skullet

whatareya

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Well James Joyce liked farts, and James Hird broke the Essendon Football Club to such a degree that they haven't won a final in almost 20 years.

So, I'd say they both have good points.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i think the most beautiful thing i could imagine is a multigenerational family portrait with the grandad sporting an unironic mullet, the dad sporting an ironic mullet and the son sporting an unironic mullet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Comstar posted:

Prediction: QAntas will demand a government bailout within the next 3 years because they can't afford new planes.

Vanessa Hudson is the most obvious glass cliff candidate since Musk made Linda Yaccarino his scapegoat CEO.

Remains to be seen if QANTAS will even be here in three years.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Being better than United is a loving low bar.

Basically I'm saying that's a lot of words to say Qantas did the bare minimum.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Amazing that this government has allowed itself to be pinned down by *checks notes* airlines

Absolutely ghastly lack of how the decision would look in the context of the last 3 years. Canberra really is an alternate dimension.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

Amazing that this government has allowed itself to be pinned down by *checks notes* airlines

Absolutely ghastly lack of how the decision would look in the context of the last 3 years. Canberra really is an alternate dimension.

They resisted being pinned by airlines in the same way a professional wrestler who is booked to lose does.

Edit: Speaking of only pretending to resist, lol, lmao.

hooman fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hooman posted:

They resisted being pinned by airlines in the same way a professional wrestler who is booked to lose does.

Edit: Speaking of only pretending to resist, lol, lmao.

It’s just so lmao that the ALP did this to themselves, sure there’s a hostile media but the federal ALP really busted out the clown shoes to try for a 1 term government.