Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I don’t know what those advanced stats are they cite in the player profiles but Danny Dimes was like top 10 in all 3 of them yet clearly in the “suck” tier. So either he sucks (Daltos nods in approval) or the advanced stat sucks and is useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Vigorously nodding

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Christ, that Alex Smith story is devastating. I don't even know what you do with that situation or how much of a nightmare that is to live through. I guess at a bare minimum he can at least afford treatment but god drat.

In lighter news:

Should we get our picks in before this weekend? I started an NFL prediction thread last year and no one did poo poo with it so just gonna put my internet football reputation on the line here in this thread.

1. Dallas. I hate to say it but I think that somehow the Eagles regress. Super Bowl losers almost always do and any time Philly is picked to be great, they're not. Cowboys defense is legit and in this league a team can win a lot of close games on that side of the ball. I have to think that Dak's turnover problems are indeed as fluky as they seem to be and sense a regression towards the mean with that. I love ragging on Dallas and Prescott but, if I'm being honest, at least half those INT's weren't on him. I think that Dallas somehow ekes out this division by tightening up a little bit, cutting down on mistakes and because of whatever I think is going to happen with...

2. Philadelphia. This team is just too good to miss the playoffs entirely but they had a lot of injury luck last year and they're not going to notch 70 sacks again nor field a full 22 in the playoffs, let alone the SB. Someone's gonna get hurt, they're going to blow a game or two they should win and, somehow, fail to meet their lofty expectations, even in a weak conference. They drew the AFCE this year and will have a far tougher schedule. NE, the worst team in that division, is never an easy out. The Eagles can dominate in a lot of ways but I have to think that NFL defenses might have figured out some of the pure muscle poo poo they managed last year and I suspect that it's possible that Hurts may have plateaued.

3. Washington - WAS and NYG are in a two team race to the bottom here but, like last year was New York's time, for some reason I think this will be the Commanders'. Howell can't be worse than what they've had, only needs to take care of the ball while being accurate and the defense has potential, especially up front if they return to form. Very above average receiving corps too. Wouldn't shock me if they finished near .500 playing some sloppy close games and surprising a team or two. Somehow.

4. New York - Not a believer in D Jones, Barkley is showing some miles on his treads and I don't think that Dabol can replicate his smoke and mirror tricks from last year. Giants were a lot like Minnesota last year where neither were as good as their record and I think both teams will regress a little bit. Nothing I see on this team puts any fear into me - on both sides of the ball - and that's not something one says about a team looking to make the playoffs again.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 6, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

1. Dallas. I hate to say it but I think that somehow the Eagles regress. Super Bowl losers almost always do and any time Philly is picked to be great, they're not. Cowboys defense is legit and in this league a team can win a lot of close games on that side of the ball. I have to think that Dak's turnover problems are indeed as fluky as they seem to be and sense a regression towards the mean with that. I love ragging on Dallas and Prescott but, if I'm being honest, at least half those INT's weren't on him.

My monocle popped clean off my eye when I read this post.

I had to scroll back up twice to make sure it was really you who posted this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MrMojok posted:

My monocle popped clean off my eye when I read this post.

I had to scroll back up twice to make sure it was really you who posted this.

I'm a long suffering Eagles fan, what can I tell you?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Dallas did nothing to help dak I don't see how he can possibly not throw minimum 45 ints this season

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Asproigerosis posted:

Dallas did nothing to help dak I don't see how he can possibly not throw minimum 45 ints this season
They added Brandin Cooks, which means someone other than Lamb to throw to.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Eagles regression still wins the east, but they won’t regress.

Cowboys will struggle. Giants will end season with better record.

Commanders 5 wins.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Everybody is talking about the Eagles like they're legit and Hurts is an indisputable top-tier QB and... I don't know how to take it. Since when do we get respect? Since when do people talk about us as the "yeah, they're going back to the Super Bowl, it's a no-brainer" guys? It's weird and scary and I don't like it. It's a jinx, right? They're trying to jinx us? That'd make sense.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I talk as much poo poo as anyone in here and often more, when I’ve gotten into the liquor

My predictions are as follows:

Nobody loving knows because the NFL is a demolition derby with the flower of our nation as the cars, and any amount of injury luck, good or bad, can sink or propel any team all the way to the big dance.

On paper I’d agree with @Biggerboat except I don’t think the Eagles are going to regress that much, and could win the division again. And Hurts is IMO the best QB in the division, based on what he’s learned about the position and what he can do with his legs.

But, the NFL season is a long, brutal haul, and at any moment any team can have a season-changing injury or injuries and nobody really knows nothing.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is that I look to another season of unbridled poo poo-talking with you fuckers.

I guess, for posterity, here are my picks:

DALLAS COWBOYS 14-3
Philadelphia Eagles 4-13
NY Gints 2-15
Washington ??? 1-16

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Washington is definitely not going to be in the running this year, but unlike previous years I can see this one GOING somewhere instead of just spinning the wheels as Snyder tries to use the team as a human shield against his own shittiness. Will it actually? That I think is too early to tell, we don't really know what the plan is yet for the new regime or even what the name is going to be going forward. But there might be actual trying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well this sucks

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...paign=editorial

Hugh Douglas, Son of Former Eagles Star DE, Dies in Car Crash

The elder Hugh Douglas posted a series of pictures of his son on X, formerly known as Twitter, and wrote, "You were already a better man than me."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’ve already said my prediction, but here it is again:

Dallas, Washington, Philly, and East Rutherford pulling up the rear. The NFCE will have two wild card slots.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dallas gets hyped up every year because they are a national media focus . They don’t have a top tier qb so their ceiling is limited .

My guess is

Eagles 12-5
Dallas 10-7
The other two teams should tank for a QB

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
Predicting a massive regression on part of the Eagles defense costing them quite a few games as new players struggle to get used to the system. Also predicting a regression for Dallas just because:

Giants: 6-10-1
Commies: 5-12
Cowboys: 8-9
Eagles: 9-8

However, after devastating QB injuries in San Fran, Detroit and Seattle, the entire division somehow still makes it through to the post-season for maximum clownball opportunities.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If carter is any good (he should be ) where is the regression coming from

Besides injuries

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
Mostly just from injuries, but I’ll freely admit that listening to too much WIP has broken my brain about Philly sports

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Eagles D is going to be better via addition-by-subtraction by being able to replace Gannon. They may take a hit due to some of the guys that left in FA (mainly CJGJ) but I think they'll manage.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

None of these predictions are gonna mean poo poo once the NFC East Clownball begins, I can’t fuckin wait!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Doctor Roosevelt posted:

Predicting a massive regression on part of the Eagles defense costing them quite a few games as new players struggle to get used to the system. Also predicting a regression for Dallas just because:

Giants: 6-10-1
Commies: 5-12
Cowboys: 8-9
Eagles: 9-8

However, after devastating QB injuries in San Fran, Detroit and Seattle, the entire division somehow still makes it through to the post-season for maximum clownball opportunities.

This is the sort of :siren:CLOWNBALL:siren: that ends with Danny Dimes hoisting the Lombardi Trophy and a Super Bowl MVP award as multiple TFF posters commit seppuku, and I loving love it :getin:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

While i love the eagles being good but it's so stressful, my heart much better handles a 6-11 clownball season, but I just wanna see Hurts get a ring so bad. He's my fav personal story in the nfl and I wanna see the dude win it all.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I swear to god if it weren't for jalen hurts being the most likeable athlete in the world + his underdog story + huge improvement in talent id prob actively root against my own city just cause i think clownball is fun

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

I swear to god if it weren't for jalen hurts being the most likeable athlete in the world + his underdog story + huge improvement in talent id prob actively root against my own city just cause i think clownball is fun

https://youtu.be/2HJxya0CWco?si=3QEQGxbA1K-wtGJ1

It will come of its own accord

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The nfl is all in on Mahomes being a star and hate the eagles so winning a Super Bowl in the near term seems unlikely

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If Mahomes gets hurt, the nfl probably has Burrows or … the San Diego guy on the list for next Super Bowl winner

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

euphronius posted:

The nfl is all in on Mahomes being a star and hate the eagles so winning a Super Bowl in the near term seems unlikely

:lmao:

this is sad

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

euphronius posted:

If Mahomes gets hurt, the nfl probably has Burrows or … the San Diego guy on the list for next Super Bowl winner
Mr Logan you forgot to log out of your alt account.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

:lmao:

this is sad

I literally just described what happened this year and made a conservative inference but lol ok

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Freaky Friday situation where Mahomes and Jeff Garcia are pissing in the same hotel fountain before the season begins, switch bodies, and disaster ensues.

(Jeff works at the hotel and hates/is also bad at his job in this scenario)

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

euphronius posted:

yeah the nfl doesn't want anymore star QBs, one is enough

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Correct . One at a time

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CapnAndy posted:

Everybody is talking about the Eagles like they're legit and Hurts is an indisputable top-tier QB and... I don't know how to take it. Since when do we get respect? Since when do people talk about us as the "yeah, they're going back to the Super Bowl, it's a no-brainer" guys? It's weird and scary and I don't like it. It's a jinx, right? They're trying to jinx us? That'd make sense.

The Eagles have gotten constant respect for most of my adult life since for the past 20 years they've been the undisputed best franchise in the NFC East so I don't know what you're talking about other than thinking this is typical faux underdog poo poo from the 3rd biggest city in America

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eagles may have a shot if they play on artificial turf, but the refs are a not affected by that

Nov 6, 2002

euphronius posted:

Correct . One at a time

like could you imagine the bind the nfl would be in if there was some kind of qb rivalry over any length of years?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

like could you imagine the bind the nfl would be in if there was some kind of qb rivalry over any length of years?

I don’t know what that means.

It’s possible now that they gave Mahomes a ring this year they will cool off and “open it up” but I think the nfl is under pretty intense pressure to make a new megastar after Brady died. We will see.

My hope is it turns into more of a meritocracy and doesn’t go down the NBA path to being a pro wrestling league of scripted events

Nov 6, 2002

euphronius posted:

I don’t know what that means.

It’s possible now that they gave Mahomes a ring this year they will cool off and “open it up” but I think the nfl is under pretty intense pressure to make a new megastar after Brady died. We will see.

My hope is it turns into more of a meritocracy and doesn’t go down the NBA path to being a pro wrestling league of scripted events

it would have been amazing if they had found some kind of rival for brady, someone he could go toe-to-toe with year after year, that would have been a huge ratings boost. hmmm

really is amazing they let megastar brady lose to the eagles i guess

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can you just say what you mean plainly. I can’t parse the sarcasm posts

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To be fair I will say it’s possible the nfl threw the Super Bowl for the chiefs not so much because they want to put Mahomes into the commercial stratosphere, but becuase Goodell and important nfl-connected people had a lot of money riding on the chiefs.

Most likely it’s probably a combination of the two issues

Like the 2003 war in Iraq, it’s was just a combination of motivations

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I just think it's cute you're cooking in an excuse for when the Eagles botch it again this year, and tying it to conspiracy thought because the Eagles can only be failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

euphronius posted:

Can you just say what you mean plainly. I can’t parse the sarcasm posts

There's nothing the league would love more than to have another Brady vs Manning rivalry. They'd love for there to be another string of Brady/Manning/Big Ben Super Bowls. So the idea that they would put their thumbs on the scales of justice because they "don't want more superstars" is just so incredibly stupid that no one will even bother entertaining it.