Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

excited to start the season off right with a loss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Hell yeah brother.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Watson didn't practice today. Not sure if it's something that will keep him out Sunday. Doubs probably out for Sunday.

Campbell and Gary both practiced.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Cackled for like 5 minutes straight when Jon Bois was getting angry about classic Brett Favre showing up at the end of that championship game.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I haven’t watched it yet but I always felt like Favre got a raw deal on that game. First the Vikings fumbled the ball a billion times on that game. I think their special teams also stunk. Meanwhile Favre is getting annihilated by bountygate hits but keeps playing. And then they get in range for a 50 yarder hooray ok. They go conservative and get stuffed on runs so it is 3rd down. Vikings call a timeout but are a disorganized loving mess so they come out with 12 men in a huddle while also trying to call another timeout which is a penalty. So now it is a 55 yard field goal and dude no way old man Ryan Longwell is making a 55 yarder. So yea bonehead interception but the Viking coaches hosed it all up.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I am ready for some football.
All my nerdy friends are streaming Thursday night

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Hand Row posted:

I haven’t watched it yet but I always felt like Favre got a raw deal on that game. First the Vikings fumbled the ball a billion times on that game. I think their special teams also stunk. Meanwhile Favre is getting annihilated by bountygate hits but keeps playing. And then they get in range for a 50 yarder hooray ok. They go conservative and get stuffed on runs so it is 3rd down. Vikings call a timeout but are a disorganized loving mess so they come out with 12 men in a huddle while also trying to call another timeout which is a penalty. So now it is a 55 yard field goal and dude no way old man Ryan Longwell is making a 55 yarder. So yea bonehead interception but the Viking coaches hosed it all up.

I think they had six (!) turnovers and with the bounties it is amazing they were still in it right to the end. But that game was the biggest disappointment, such amazing build up all season. We all knew it was going to flame out. But then we got suckered in, let our guard down.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hand Row posted:

There is zero doubt in my mind that if they just ran the ball again to gain a couple yards Longwell would have nailed the kick. His long on the season was 52 and they were in a dome.

Unless he specifically told the coaches he didn't have the leg for it, there was just no reason to pass it there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

IcePhoenix posted:

There is zero doubt in my mind that if they just ran the ball again to gain a couple yards Longwell would have nailed the kick. His long on the season was 52 and they were in a dome.

Unless he specifically told the coaches he didn't have the leg for it, there was just no reason to pass it there.

The Reason is that god wanted the New Orleans Saints to win the Super Bowl. It was their reward for helping to cover up sex scandals in the diocese and also punishment for Favre for sending unsolicited dick pics and defrauding Medicare in the future, which God can see.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Oo oo next episode we get to see the end of favre via corey wootton in the rarest venue of an outdoor game in minnesota.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I was pretty drat drunk by the end of the bountygate game, and the main thing I remember thinking was "they have played like poo poo, I can't believe they're taking this to overtime".

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Next episode gets the return and departure of Moss, Brett Favre dick picks coming out, and the stadium collapse all right off the bat. 2010 was such a fun year.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Kind of surprised they didn't mention the Pierre Thomas questionable 1st down in OT.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There are a few important Chiefs who are out or potentially out, which will make it all the more heartbreaking when they lose. That said I do think Detroit will finish with a winning record again, but there's gonna be a lot of haters and losers jumping off the bandwagon after tomorrow night.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Gonna watch tomorrow's game in a room full of Lions fans. It would be extremely funny for the Chiefs to lose week one. gently caress the chop.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lions could go 0-2 to start the year. Two tough games for them, but I think they'll be fine.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Literally anything could happen tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised. I do think it'll be a good game though, and I'm excited to see how the defense performs — going up against Mahomes is going to be the ultimate test, and if they look even halfway respectable then it's going to be a good season.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Yeah, as long as the Lions look competitive, it'll be fine.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

IcePhoenix posted:

Your reason is Favre. You live by the Favre, you die by the Favre.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
I don't think it's fair to compare a defense against Mahomes, he's "that poo poo should not have worked" personified on top of the skill and talent. If the Lions defense actually looks good against him then they'll take the north

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Abugadu posted:

Kind of surprised they didn't mention the Pierre Thomas questionable 1st down in OT.

I was surprised the Antonio Freeman “he did WHAT” game never came up but I guess it was ultimately inconsequential.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Overreacting to week 1 results is one of my favorite parts of football

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Lets be honest we all know what the Super Bowl winner opening the season on Thursday night at home means. Right down to the banner unfurling and the other team being "revealed" like they're just a bit part in the showpiece.

It's KC's night. Up to Detroit to spoil it. Go get it DAN MUSCLE MAN.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Hand Row posted:

Overreacting to week 1 results is one of my favorite parts of football

It's gonna be a doozy in Green Bay and Chicago, regardless of the result

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

C-Euro posted:

There are a few important Chiefs who are out or potentially out, which will make it all the more heartbreaking when they lose. That said I do think Detroit will finish with a winning record again, but there's gonna be a lot of haters and losers jumping off the bandwagon after tomorrow night.

im the haters and losers but i am also not on the bandwagon until either the fords sell the team or they win a playoff game

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I’m not expecting us to win tonight, but damned if this isn’t one of the best opportunities for us to do so

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'm jealous of the Lions tbh, getting beat by the best team in football on week 1 is about the best kind of loss you can take. I'm going to be inconsolable when the Packers beat the Bears 23-17

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
On the Ford's need to sell the team. I don't think its necessarily fair to Sheila whose entire process seems competent?

She did a collaborative search for a new GM and HC, who seem to have crazy chemistry, and has supported their plan. She has also spent $$$ to give them a strong staff.

Soon it will be time to pay these draft picks (Sewell and St.Brown) so we'll see how that goes, but she seems to be what you want in an owner to this point.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Danny LaFever posted:

On the Ford's need to sell the team. I don't think its necessarily fair to Sheila whose entire process seems competent?

She did a collaborative search for a new GM and HC, who seem to have crazy chemistry, and has supported their plan. She has also spent $$$ to give them a strong staff.

Soon it will be time to pay these draft picks (Sewell and St.Brown) so we'll see how that goes, but she seems to be what you want in an owner to this point.

Sheila is only half Ford anyway.

An issue with the Lions has always been cheaping out on everything around the team. And she seems interested in spending there as well, new training staff, new nutrition programs, they are looking to relocate to a new and better training facility.

Players and coaches seem to like her a lot.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
I don’t think the Lions will win, but I think they’ll put up a fight. Probably a better one than the rest of the north will.

Speaking of which, if you had to steal one player from each of the three rival teams, who would it be?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JGdmn posted:

Speaking of which, if you had to steal one player from each of the three rival teams, who would it be?

Jefferson, Hutchinson, Eddie Jackson. Not terribly difficult to pick.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Justin Jefferson, Jaire Alexander, and Fields just for fun

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I would steal all the QBs and park them on the bench because even if they still have better players on the roster those teams aren't going to win with backup QBs

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno why people keep talking about the Fords, the Lions are currently owned by the Hamps.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

JGdmn posted:

I don’t think the Lions will win, but I think they’ll put up a fight. Probably a better one than the rest of the north will.

Jefferson, Hutchinson, Alexander

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pass, pass, Cairos Santos.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Kloaked00 posted:

I’m not expecting us to win tonight, but damned if this isn’t one of the best opportunities for us to do so

to be honest the actual SOL path here is to win in dominating fashion and then poo poo the bed later.

losing in a tight game woudl be far more "normal" and is nothing to worry about, the Lions are not SB contenders but playing well could a start of a season that ends in a playoff spot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jefferson, Hutchinson, Eddie Jackson. Not terribly difficult to pick.

Jaire, Hutchinson, Fields

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to be honest the actual SOL path here is to win in dominating fashion and then poo poo the bed later.

losing in a tight game woudl be far more "normal" and is nothing to worry about, the Lions are not SB contenders but playing well could a start of a season that ends in a playoff spot.

Patricia's first year opener against Darnold/Jets is a classic SOL game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

IcePhoenix posted:

Jaire, Hutchinson, Fields

You'd take Fields over DJ Moore? Cousins to Jefferson/Moore would be pretty dangerous.