Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
All this talk just reminds me of how Shokugeki no Soma went completely off the rails and at one point there was a clown chef that juggled food, some chick that came straight out of Akame ga kill, Herbert West the Reanimator, and a bunch of other ridiculous chef concepts plus straight up magic. I never finished Yakitake but I'm not surprised it apparently jumps the shark either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This makes me think of Mazumeshi Elf which in so many words is basically another Shounen cooking manga but because it starts as an isekai you're a bit more prepared for it go completely insane (and boy does it, in much more entertaining ways IMO than Soma/Yakitate).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it got so ridiculous that it wasn't really funny any more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

All this talk just reminds me of how Shokugeki no Soma went completely off the rails and at one point there was a clown chef that juggled food, some chick that came straight out of Akame ga kill, Herbert West the Reanimator, and a bunch of other ridiculous chef concepts plus straight up magic. I never finished Yakitake but I'm not surprised it apparently jumps the shark either.

Wasn't that another one where the creator clearly had kind of checked out but they wanted him to keep at it?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I believe the Issue with Shougeki no Souma was that their chef/cooking consultant got pregnant and had a kid, and could not be as involved, and it's pretty obvious considering around the time that happens they start going into far far less detail about the specific food that is being cooked, and focus more on over the top reactions and zany character powers.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That is what I heard, yes

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
All timer quality drop, I was really enjoying it too as food mangas are great but they need that detail to really work especially when mixed with a ridiculous premise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah it becomes clear that something happened during the last arc where all of a sudden gimmicks become super important and the actual food reveals become nonexistent.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

pouring a little bit of olive oil out for bambino

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I re-read Yakitate Japan a few months ago as well and I agree, everything past the Monaco Cup is some meanspirited bullshit and body horror galore. It almost feels like the author resented having to write anything past that arc. And you're talking about Kawachi, right? :v: I loving hated that guy by the time the last arc rolled around. He was a useless loving rear end in a top hat who kept rolling back on any sort of character development he got just to be the comic relief yet again. Literally anyone can fill his spot and nothing of value would be lost. It's like Yakitate Japan wanted to copy Jonouchi from Yu-Gi-Oh but without understanding that Jonouchi in the manga made huge strides as a person and duelist and kept it that way.

Kai was also bad, but in a different way. For all that he was built up, dude was a jobber on the same level as Yamcha. I counted and he literally never won any fight that mattered. There was also the gross bit where the manager forced Kai's girlfriend to lie about being pregnant in order to stop Kai from committing seppuku when he lost to Azuma.

TBH, I forgot how the anime handled the last arc but I can only hope they did their own thing because the manga ended in such a garbage way.

Yeah, the Kawachi stuff was awful. It's such a nonsensical left turn for the character too.

In the previous arcs he was the least overtly talented and a bit overconfident but he was able to buckle down with the going got tough and pull out incredibly good ideas, the manga goes out of its way to show that even if he isn't Azuma-level he's still capable of being a top grade baker. And then they hit the Y!25 arc and he's suddenly absolutely worthless. Like Azuma brings up he can't cook bread at all and only asks him to make 'gross' bread and he's never allowed to do anything meaningful in any of the battles. And that is about when it goes full-on grade-a body horror in a not very fun way.

It's just weird because everything before that felt like it had a good balance and then the last arc was just a mess, I can only assume the author got sick of it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's also possible that the author wanted to do that stuff the whole time but were restrained by their editor until it got popular enough.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

panko posted:

pouring a little bit of olive oil out for bambino

Did things get better after the author decided to kill off a character for some forced drama?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

It's also possible that the author wanted to do that stuff the whole time but were restrained by their editor until it got popular enough.

Also true. I'm used to editors being the font of Bad Ideas that I can forget they also can be a necessary limiter.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I wouldn’t know, I gave up on secondo after a couple of chapters. unless this happened in primo and I forgot but that’s kind of like dropping FMA after maes gets smoked

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: Sorry Erina, but I think I fell in love with Chinatsu, just a little bit. Also Beast Clan lady continues to be as hot as she is evil. Which is very. Can we have at least another 100 chapters of this, please?

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: I might hate Asmodeus, but I can't deny that this arc is really interesting. This mix of horror/tension, actual character development for characters that really needed it (and honestly, Asmodeus is one of them) and dumb romantic hijinks is pretty great.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The windwheel family is real fast and furious.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Marriagetoxin: Sorry Erina, but I think I fell in love with Chinatsu, just a little bit. Also Beast Clan lady continues to be as hot as she is evil. Which is very. Can we have at least another 100 chapters of this, please?

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: I might hate Asmodeus, but I can't deny that this arc is really interesting. This mix of horror/tension, actual character development for characters that really needed it (and honestly, Asmodeus is one of them) and dumb romantic hijinks is pretty great.

Marriagetoxin: Something this manga is really good at is making each potential love interest legitimately interesting and appealing in their own right without making it obvious who the winner will be even though it's obviously Kinosaki :colbert:. This series accomplishes more with its female characters in a few chapters what most shonen manga fail to do in their entire runs.

Exorcist: I don't disagree. This series has been really... weird in its tone and this arc's no different, but it's really working for me this time. We're forty-seven chapters in and I still can't make heads or tails about how I feel about the series as a whole, but I feel like it's getting into its groove

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1699282788892213368?s=20

Not unexpected.

Julias fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 6, 2023

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I expected it to be a short run of it's own story, but still feels a little sudden for Tenmaku Cinema

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

how is all this stuff getting cancelled but ichinose family is still getting worse with every chapter?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Was Tenmaku Cinema cancelled? It feels more like the story reaching its natural endpoint to me.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This latest thing does make it feel like Ichinose is also ending soon, but with only 3 new series and Fabricant and Tenmaku ending, I can't imagine it being the 3rd over Do Retry.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Silver2195 posted:

Was Tenmaku Cinema cancelled? It feels more like the story reaching its natural endpoint to me.

Eh, I think it was more the mangaka be given the opportunity to wrap up than anything. Stuff like the ghost's backstory, the film festival, and everything with the mom was probably intended to come later, but :shrug:

Really unfortunate. It was my favorite out of the last crop of new series.

KidDynamite posted:

how is all this stuff getting cancelled but ichinose family is still getting worse with every chapter?

This is bad news for Ichinose Family too; I think everything below it in the rankings are done now, so unless Ice Head Gill is doing worse it's probably next on the chopping block

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
That's a shame. I liked Tenmaku a lot

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seeing as Tenmaku was from a veteran team I could see them creating this first arc as mostly self contained so that if it did get canceled they could at least tell a full story.

I've been reading Detective Conan since it is on the Viz subscription and I'm only a little past 100 chapters but I'm already kind of tired of the part of the story where Conan has to knock someone out to do the big reveal. That part feels very repetitive but the actual mysteries are still fun. Also I think it is kind of goofy how the translation Americanizes some names but not others.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Seeing as Tenmaku was from a veteran team I could see them creating this first arc as mostly self contained so that if it did get canceled they could at least tell a full story.

I've been reading Detective Conan since it is on the Viz subscription and I'm only a little past 100 chapters but I'm already kind of tired of the part of the story where Conan has to knock someone out to do the big reveal. That part feels very repetitive but the actual mysteries are still fun. Also I think it is kind of goofy how the translation Americanizes some names but not others.

My understanding is that because the dub of the anime changed a bunch of names, the Viz translation of the manga just went with those choices. But since the dub didn't get very far there's a ton of names that never got changed because the dub never reached them. Strange situation to be stuck with that's for sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, it honestly bugged me more than if they just did a full name change, I couldn't get far because of how distracting it was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It mainly sticks out for the main supporting cast because everyone else has Japanese names but for some reason it there's Richard Moore and his daughter Rachel.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
In general, Viz seems to have a policy of maintaining name consistency with anime dubs, regardless of logic. This is also why the One Piece translation still uses Zolo instead of Zoro.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That reminds me of how a couple of years ago I was reading the US release of Initial D and originally it had a translation by Tokyopop who went hard on Westernizing names and dialogue but after a certain point they stopped doing releases and someone else eventually took over and they went for a more authentic translation so all of a sudden all the character names change.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

muscles like this! posted:

That reminds me of how a couple of years ago I was reading the US release of Initial D and originally it had a translation by Tokyopop who went hard on Westernizing names and dialogue but after a certain point they stopped doing releases and someone else eventually took over and they went for a more authentic translation so all of a sudden all the character names change.

From what I understand with that in particular, those names were taken from an Initial D arcade game, which is why everyone has, like, 3 or 4 letter names.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tenmaku was good, it ending so quickly is a real bummer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Choujin X: I really hope Azuma doesnt go full Sasuke

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that boy was 120% sasuke from the start.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Shibatarian: At this point I just kinda assume every new character is either connected to Shibata, or has another hidden agenda, but just in case I am too paranoid, Yoshi seems pretty cool. Kicking a weird bird abomination and saving a live of a stranger by taking her to nurse office takes balls. Hope she doesn't die and/or transform to Shibata. Speaking of transforming to Shibata, Michika sure doesn't look good, although she also seem to be done with all this weird poo poo and ready to throw hands. And Shibata's Mom is actually slightly less creepy than I thought she would be. I was expecting Sadako 2.0 and not "just" crazy old woman that's a bit too spry for her age.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Mikane and the Sea Woman has certainly taken a turn.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Alacron posted:

Not entirely unexpected, tbh. The Mermaid was constantly dropping hints that something like this would happen if Mikane doesn't back off since their first interaction. The main thing I am interested in now is where the story moves from here.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Lt. Lizard posted:

Not entirely unexpected, tbh. The Mermaid was constantly dropping hints that something like this would happen if Mikane doesn't back off since their first interaction. The main thing I am interested in now is where the story moves from here.

Yukko becomes the main character and it becomes a gritty revenge story

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alacron posted:

I WARNED YOU ABOUT OCEAN WOMEN BRO!!!!!

I TOLD YOU DOG!

Alacron posted:

Yukko becomes the main character and it becomes a gritty revenge story
Will definitely become a missing persons sort of case where the powers at be can't do anything and chalk it up to suicide or accidental death. But I suspect that we will be shifting to Yukko and Mikane is going to be having not so pleasant times under the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Is this going to become a battle manga now