Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

I genuinely wonder how ammo can be "fun to use" without also being safe or effective. Does it make a satisfying popping sound when you shoot it, compared to other artillery ammo, or something?

explodes at random times like a janky firework

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
A round doesn’t have to leave the muzzle with lethal velocity to plink a can off a rock.

It should have lethal velocity if you’re shooting at a combatant in a war zone, however

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/ArmeniaMODTeam/status/1699297627865542665?s=20

lol

lmao

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The correlation of putin simps (left and right) also turning out to be buying into conspiacy theories and a flat earther gets stronger as this war goes on.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Vatnik barbarians fired a missile into the city of Kostiantynivka today. There are many killed and wounded.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Locals on Thailand’s Phuket Are Getting Sick of Russian Draft Dodgers

quote:

Tensions are mounting at a popular tourist destination in Thailand thanks to a massive increase in the number of Russians moving there to escape being drafted into fighting the war in Ukraine, according to a report.

Locals in the southern province of Phuket are now complaining that the Russian arrivals have created a Russian-only economy on the island, allegedly taking jobs away from locals and fueling an increase in property prices that makes life harder for renters.

Over 400,000 Russians arrived in Phuket between January and July this year, according to Al Jazeera, which is twice the number of visitors recorded before the full-scale invasion of Ukraine began. Many have bought properties on the island, set up businesses, and acquired long stay visas in order to avoid being conscripted at home.

The Thai Real Estate Association said Russians were the leading international buyers of property in Phuket last year, and that sales to Russians jumped 68 percent in the first quarter of 2023 compared with the same period in 2022, the Guardian reports.

But their presence in Thailand hasn’t been welcomed by everyone, with some residents complaining that Russian-only businesses have started emerging, allegedly staffed by people working illegally and run through Russian language apps. Some reports have also said Russian sex workers serving mostly Russian customers have started operating in the province’s main nightlife areas.

Prayut Thongmusik, the president of the Phuket van drivers’ club which represents 200 tourist minibus operators, told Al Jazeera that some Russians “came to run the whole tourism business.” “They drive personal vehicles that have not been registered with the Thai transport department as service vehicles, picking up tourists who book them through a Russian app, offering nearly 20 percent cheaper fees than us,” Thongmusik was quoted as saying. “They make sure all the roubles stay with the Russians.”

As well as economic grievances, residents have also been concerned and angered by criminality connected with the huge influx of Russians. Local laws dictate that certain occupations can only be carried out by Thai nationals, but these restrictions aren’t always observed.

“We arrested three Russian nationals who opened a hair salon after we got a complaint lodged by a Thai citizen,” Lieutenant Colonel Thongchai Matitam said. “We charged them with breaking the law by doing the jobs reserved for Thais only.”

More overt criminality has been reported too, including the shooting of a Russian businessman in June and the arrest of a Russian man allegedly linked to a phone scam gang running out of Cambodia. Local media reported that Russians accounted for most of the criminal charges applied to foreigners in Phuket in the first three months of 2023.

Sergey Malinin, a Russian expat and tour operator who has lived in Thailand for 25 years, said locals’ animus may be misdirected, and that many criminals may just be being confused with Russians. “To Thai people, all of them are Russians even though they may be Uzbeks, Ukrainians, Georgians,” he told Al Jazeera. Malinin added that some Russians only become criminals in Thailand owing to the restrictive laws for foreign workers, in which “the only way to stay is to break the law.”

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhh yes, the traditional "Christian" values of *checks notes* invade and genocide your neigbours

...well, if we're considering on an historical, material basis...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

A round doesn’t have to leave the muzzle with lethal velocity to plink a can off a rock.

It should have lethal velocity if you’re shooting at a combatant in a war zone, however

It doesn’t have to have lethal velocity to ruin a receiver and maybe your face, either.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus, good thing I decided against going to Thailand this year.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I wonder just how many Russians have fled with no plans to return at this point. The initial wave that saw days-long lines a border checkpoints and astronomic airline prices was allegedly around 900000, and if a steady exodus has continued over the past year, it has to be well over a million by now.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 6, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Better that than being drafted into Banan Team Six, at least

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Tiny Timbs posted:

It doesn’t have to have lethal velocity to ruin a receiver and maybe your face, either.

Very true.

I think I have an idea as to where Putin is going to try and get his 400,000 new mobiks…

mobby_6kl posted:

Jesus, good thing I decided against going to Thailand this year.

Is Thailand in NATO?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Very true.

I think I have an idea as to where Putin is going to try and get his 400,000 new mobiks…

Is Thailand in NATO?

Yeah, it's Nicuragua, America, Thailand and Oman.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Credible reports from insiders in the kremlin that after hearing the latest reports on ukraines counter offensive, Putin has commenced with another SMO (secret manure operation) in his pantaloons. Putin has already begun accusing various aides of planting it and accusing them of working for zelensky or nato.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Is Thailand in NATO?

Come to Thailand, swim in the Atlantic

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Philonius posted:

Come to Thailand, swim in the Atlantic

I was kidding, of course- but i wonder if Thailand is considering NATO membership in case it's up next for a 3 day special operation.

To get more recruits for the previous, 18 month long 3 day special operation.

The Russia does not know how to war.

Sedgr posted:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was kidding, of course- but i wonder if Thailand is considering NATO membership in case it's up next for a 3 day special operation.

I don't know about Thailand, but Vietnam is like America's Best Friend, which is awesome.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
The closest Thailand gets to NATO is being designated major ally by the us, but has other security agreements in place including some weird n-eyes deal I can’t remember

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

unzin posted:

Prayut Thongmusik
:gerty:

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Sorry if repost, but I didn't see it here. Russia does another terrorist attack, this time against a market.

Russian strike on a market in an eastern Ukrainian city kills 17 and wounds dozens, officials say

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blinken-visits-kyiv-show-support-082336031.html

gently caress Putin.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

The_Franz posted:

I wonder just how many Russians have fled with no plans to return at this point. The initial wave that saw days-long lines a border checkpoints and astronomic airline prices was allegedly around 900000, and if a steady exodus has continued over the past year, it has to be well over a million by now.

I remember when this was happening, I joined a bunch of telegram channels for Russian men trying to flee the war. Most of the channels were people asking about directions, border guards, etc. There was a lot of trolling in there lol, several guys got directed to border crossings that were manned - as a joke - and got mobilized that way lol, sucks to suck

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

The people of Thailand are ethnic Russian and long to return to the motherland. It is Russia's moral imperative to invade incorporate liberate the Thai people from their decadent, homenazi, girlboss, manboy ladymen.

:ussr:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
what a big LOL that would be if prigozhin managed to somehow survive

https://www.ukrinform.net/rubric-ato/3757822-ukrainian-intelligence-not-sure-prigozhin-died-in-plane-crash-yusov.html

quote:

Ukrainian intelligence is not completely sure that Wagner Group leader Yevgeny Prigozhin died in a plane crash in Russia's Tver region on August 23, but confirms reports of the death of his accomplice, Dmitry Utkin.
Ukrainian military intelligence spokesperson Andrii Yusov said this in an interview with Ukrinform.

"Currently, we can speak 100% about the confirmed death of Utkin and some other passengers. As for Prigozhin, not all questions are closed yet," he said.

He declined to give more details, but said: "I will simply focus on the fact that we can confirm the death of Utkin and several more associates of Prigozhin. As for the leader of the private military company, I think we have to wait a little longer."

On August 23, an Embraer Legacy 600 jet crashed in Russia's Tver region, allegedly carrying Wagner Group leader Yevgeny Prigozhin, his accomplice Dmitry Utkin and other representatives of the private military company.

On August 27, Russia's Investigative Committee confirmed Prigozhin's death in the plane crash.

According to official Russian media, on August 29, Prigozhin was allegedly buried at the Porokhovskoye Cemetery in St. Petersburg.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
whom among us hasnt wanted to call in danger close on the boss during a bad day? relatable, but still, hope she enjoys her prison sentence

https://gwaramedia.com/en/kharkiv-resident-directed-russian-artillery-at-her-own-workplace-prosecutor-s-office/

quote:

According to the Kharkiv Regional Prosecutor’s Office, an employee at one of Kharkiv’s energy industry factories provided Russian special services with coordinates from her workplace so the Russian army could keep bombing the region’s energy infrastructure.

The Prosecutor’s Office issued a suspicion to a 43-year-old resident of Dovzhyk village in the Bohoduhiv district. According to them, she informed Russian FSS about the location of Ukrainian positions and directed Russian rocket and artillery fire at objects of civil and critical infrastructure in the Kharkiv region.

A Kharkiv region resident was detained on August 30. She is remanded in custody without bail for 60 days (until October 28) as a preventive measure.

Note: According to Article 63 of the Constitution of Ukraine, a person is presumed innocent of committing a crime and shall not be subjected to criminal punishment until their guilt is proven through legal procedure and established by a court verdict of guilty.

Based on the evidence collected by the Security Service of Ukraine, an informant of the Russian special services who supported Russian air attacks in the Kharkiv region was sentenced to imprisonment.

A Kupiansk resident suspected of collaboration detained; he collected fingerprints from pro-Ukrainian citizens — Prosecutor’s Office

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

quote:

A Kupiansk resident suspected of collaboration detained; he collected fingerprints from pro-Ukrainian citizens — Prosecutor’s Office

how did that work?

:haw: Hey are you pro-Ukraine?
:) you bet
:haw: ayo lemme get your fingerprints
:confused: gently caress off?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
russia: we tactically lost

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

whom among us hasnt wanted to call in danger close on the boss during a bad day? relatable, but still, hope she enjoys her prison sentence

https://gwaramedia.com/en/kharkiv-resident-directed-russian-artillery-at-her-own-workplace-prosecutor-s-office/

Innocent until proven guilty? The Ukrainians are being Westernly decadent I see

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HonorableTB posted:

russia: we tactically lost

God, if I rolled my eyes any harder at the Russian statement I'd be seeing into the past. The sourest of grapes, from the bitterest of fascists.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Russia suffered zero casualties in the assault; several soldiers chose to tactically shuffle off this mortal coil in response to the maneuvers of enemy bullets

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, it's Nicuragua, America, Thailand and Oman.

They tried to replace Thailand with Finland but the mods yelled at them.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

pro starcraft loser posted:

Sorry if repost, but I didn't see it here. Russia does another terrorist attack, this time against a market.

Russian strike on a market in an eastern Ukrainian city kills 17 and wounds dozens, officials say

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blinken-visits-kyiv-show-support-082336031.html

gently caress Putin.

they just showed CCTV footage of the blast on the BBC news channel. I find it very surprising they're airing it unedited, because it is remarkably explicit in its violence - there are multiple people (civilians) walking around in shot who are then engulfed in the sudden explosion, and I can only assume those people must have died in the explosion.

Putin can go gently caress himself

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

Russia suffered zero casualties in the assault; several soldiers chose to tactically shuffle off this mortal coil in response to the maneuvers of enemy bullets

They are taking a tactical nap. They are all tuckered out.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
A poo poo ton of people died in that missile attack on the civilians. It's heartbreaking

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerite posted:

they just showed CCTV footage of the blast on the BBC news channel. I find it very surprising they're airing it unedited, because it is remarkably explicit in its violence - there are multiple people (civilians) walking around in shot who are then engulfed in the sudden explosion, and I can only assume those people must have died in the explosion.

Thankfully the SA bloodthirst rules will protect us ITT.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

tiaz posted:

how did that work?

:haw: Hey are you pro-Ukraine?
:) you bet
:haw: ayo lemme get your fingerprints
:confused: gently caress off?

"Have you heard about finger tic-tac-toe ?"

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Hammerite posted:

The perfidious albion. Eternal enemy of Russia.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

HonorableTB posted:

A poo poo ton of people died in that missile attack on the civilians. It's heartbreaking

Rescue operations just ended a while ago. 16 people were reported killed, more than 40 injured. gently caress POCCNR.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

RBA-Wintrow posted:

The people of Thailand are ethnic Russian and long to return to the motherland. It is Russia's moral imperative to invade incorporate liberate the Thai people from their decadent, homenazi, girlboss, manboy ladymen.

:ussr:

After some discussion it has been decided that posting from the POV of "bad Russia" should not give the poster carte blanche to say phrases or slurs that would otherwise lead to punishment. If you're going to try to skirt this rule be aware that even if your post is very funny or makes a very good point it won't exempt you from getting popped for it.

It has been a thread tradition to clown on Russia's bad social policies and injustices and this doesn't need to stop, especially because highlighting the world's ills through a humourous lens is what this forum does very well. I don't want to stop anyone from attempting a joke but please keep in mind that even if you're posting from another perspective it's still you posting the words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Hammerite posted:

First thing at the the top of my twitter feed was this CCTV...and then pics of the aftermath. I really strongly recommend avoiding pics.