Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

site posted:

A woman who grew up as a child in the ryloth resistance and had the children in her found family running missions with her during the rebellion probably isn't freaking out at the idea of bringing her force sensitive kid with her on a mission. I don't see what's hard to understand about that

Literal Jedis: "Hey, kid, wanna pod race to win us some money, despite it having a 90% fatality rate?" Perfectly normal.

General Hera: "Hey kid, wanna come on a quick mission to see what's up with a missing hyperdrive, along with half a dozen veteran x-wing pilots and your mother, one of the best combat flyers in the galaxy?" Universe's worst monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why wouldn't Sabine be able to hold her own against an apprentice fallen Jedi? We've seen plenty of non-force users hold their own for a while against actual Jedi (Jango, to name one) and Sabine has previous on and off-screen lightsaber training. And she loses.

My comment about Sabine holding her own is largely based on the previous episode showing her having regressed to the point she needs to do Saber Training 101 with the child padawan training droid or whatever he is. You could argue that Sabine at the end of Rebels + some training over the past several years would be competent enough but the show directly points out that this didn't happen.

The show largely seems to operate at the level that characters in fights are mostly equal so they last more than 5-10 seconds despite the fact that LoGiCaLlY Ahsoka should be wiping the floor with most characters on-screen and the millenia old Jedi training droid should probably be able to easily beat the rando lovely mass-market droid that ambushes him. I personally would have just had him pull out a couple robo-swords or something and shishkabob the robot instantly in a cartoonish fashion like a Looney Tunes episode but what do I know :shrug: . I never saw the show he's from so his characterization to me is entirely based on this show and it's all over the place.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 6, 2023

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

The bolded part is true, but at the same time I think "Ahsoka severely injures her hand and she gets distracted out of concern for Sabine and the map and all that" is an acceptable enough pretense for her taking an L against a burly, mid-tier Jedi.

She also used Anakin's stance (there is at least some visual language going on there with what stances people are using - remember, this is from the person who was behind the final Obi Wan/Maul fight), which is a bad form for her to use against someone that fights like Ray, but something she was trying to make a point about since he kept blabbing about Anakin to her. That, plus her injury you mentioned is enough to make the difference there from a choreography standpoint.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jehde posted:

... Did you see the size of Baylan and his sabre? And how much Ahsoka struggled with his blows? Don't think Filoni is being dumb here...

Just swing first. And make sure your sabres aren't in the same place so he can't block em both.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The characters being sort of washed up is just a more fertile premise than them being sword saints. If anything they should have leaned into it more

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

No Mods No Masters posted:

The characters being sort of washed up is just a more fertile premise than them being sword saints. If anything they should have leaned into it more

I would be into them being washed up. Instead they're depicted as hyper competent.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!

General Dog posted:

There's no way this plot is getting resolved in 4 more episodes right?

It is not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HootTheOwl posted:

Just swing first. And make sure your sabres aren't in the same place so he can't block em both.

She used to have this move she could cheese everybody with where she'd swing the left saber at the head and the right saber at the knees. Devs realized it was way too OP though and nerfed it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Megillah Gorilla posted:

General Hera: "Hey kid, wanna come on a quick mission to see what's up with a missing hyperdrive, along with half a dozen veteran x-wing pilots and your mother, one of the best combat flyers in the galaxy?" Universe's worst monster.

Blue eyes, green head, can't lose!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm still confused as to what the bad Jedi are after. "One must destroy in order to create" is dumb tropey dialogue that doesn't mean anything.

Outside of being useful tools for a new empire led by Thrawn their motivations for being involved aren't clear to me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Looks like Baylan is going to die on his way back to his home planet.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

G-III posted:

I'm still confused as to what the bad Jedi are after. "One must destroy in order to create" is dumb tropey dialogue that doesn't mean anything.

Outside of being useful tools for a new empire led by Thrawn their motivations for being involved aren't clear to me.

Power, he said it straight.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Baylan definitely fights like Vader, with huge powerful swings that simply shatter through defenses, so having two sabers makes your defenses weaker since you can't really brace the blade (and the cross defense means you can have two plasma blades forced back into your body, which probably isn't ideal, hence why she swapped to one saber to better deflect his strikes and can reinforce blocks with the Force

I imagine her wrists aren't particularly happy with her either regardless

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm just saying I can't be the only goon who saw starwars as a kid and became obsessed with swinging swords around!
Where my bell goons at?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

G-III posted:

Wait until episode 7. His dialogue with Ahsoka in this episode was just meant to tickle your balls JJ-style.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jehde posted:

I find it interesting that people keep getting hung up on Hera being both a pilot and a general in the republic, as if that's something new in live-action Star Wars, or war fiction in general.

I mean, it's fine if you're a pilot who gets promoted to general, but it's weird that she keeps wearing the pilot goggles and bomber jacket instead of a suit or something. She looks like a pilot, she's not dressed like someone in a position of authority.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's so weird kinda hate-watching this show and every episode leaving me thinking "why am I watching this? It's never going to get better". Then turning on youtube and it filled with people gushing about how this was without the doubt the best episode of any star wars TV show ever produced. I feel like I'm living in some silent hill dimension where the version of the show I'm being shown is this horrible corrupted version and they're all watching something with amazing writing and action scenes with any weight.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Phenotype posted:

I mean, it's fine if you're a pilot who gets promoted to general, but it's weird that she keeps wearing the pilot goggles and bomber jacket instead of a suit or something. She looks like a pilot, she's not dressed like someone in a position of authority.

han didnt change his outfit when he became a general. Smuggler types adopt an iconic fit and thats what they will wear forever

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Went and checked

No one's drawn any of the Rebel crew in tuxedos, which feels like a missed opportunity

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

It's so weird kinda hate-watching this show and every episode leaving me thinking "why am I watching this? It's never going to get better". Then turning on youtube and it filled with people gushing about how this was without the doubt the best episode of any star wars TV show ever produced. I feel like I'm living in some silent hill dimension where the version of the show I'm being shown is this horrible corrupted version and they're all watching something with amazing writing and action scenes with any weight.

I get it. My partner and I watched the third episode on Monday. When I realized the fourth came out last night, I gave a heavy sigh and asked if we wanted to do this to ourselves again. She gave a heavy sigh back and said "I guess so." Luckily, we both liked this episode significantly more than the last 3 so I'm glad we stuck with it, but yeah I was very much on the edge of dropping it and I'm really surprised the reception is so positive here.

The only other person I talked to about it in real life is my friend who has 8 year old twin girls. After TCW and Rebels, one of their favorite characters was Ahsoka and the other's was Sabine. When he and I talked, he said he couldn't really be objective about the show's quality because his daughters are both so jazzed about the basic premise, and now the Sabine one is no longer jealous about the other's fav being a Jedi. That being said, after the second episode, he said one of the girls did say "This show is kinda boring, isn't it?" so I feel validated.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Baronjutter posted:

If you think that of Ahsoka I cant imagine what you thought when watching Boba Fett and Kenobi.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I feel the same way fwiw, I just don't like to post if all I have to say is negative. (Not saying that's what you're doing, just explaining why I for one am not vocal about how poor I think this stuff is, other than maybe some initial reactions I can't keep to myself.)

Just Chamber posted:

If you think that of Ahsoka I cant imagine what you thought when watching Boba Fett and Kenobi.

I personally haven't seen those, nor have I seen any of the animated stuff. That makes it sort of strange watching this. I watched The Mandalorian seasons 1 and 2 as they aired and only watched Andor after Mando season 3 started airing. I liked Andor a lot, but Ahsoka for me is on par with Mandalorian seasons 2 and 3 so far - that is to say really bad.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 6, 2023

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Good episode. Really enjoyed it.

Although I lol'ed over Marok's fate. Sooooo much speculation on who he might be, and BAM! Absolutely nobody/nothing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I don't fully remember how the Nighsister magicks work, but if their resurrected people die, can they resurrect them again? Obviously not Marrok since they left his body behind.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I wonder if they took the wrong message from Andor, where it was praised for its slower placing and tried to implement it into the show.

Andor it worked because they did such an incredible job of building a believable world around the characters, showing, not telling, and they would linger on character moments that really made us feel who these people are, and subsequently everything felt fleshed out and real. This stretched in everything from set designs to costuming to incidental dialog.

By its very nature, Ashoka follows from a cartoon, which had shorter run times and more of the traditional Star Wars adventure aesthetic in its DNA, where the plot primarily exists to facilitate a bunch of cool set pieces. The same can be said for the Mandalorian series.

As much as I like slower paced shows that lets its character moments breathe, it just doesn't really work here because it doesn't feel there's enough meat on the bones to justify it. This is exacerbated by the use of the volume, characters in their cartoon get up, and the leaps of logic that need to be made to get to each cool set piece, etc. etc.

Had I watched rebels perhaps I'd feel differently, but at the moment it feels like a sequel, and there's half a show missing that I'm not privy to.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
For as much as Filoni loves Ahsoka, I think he's still never truly figured out an interesting angle for what a grown up Ahsoka is like. I get the appeal of an even-keel, mature Ahsoka as a continuation of her arc from Clone Wars, but her maturity and even-keelness(?) in this and in Rebels is kind of the entirety of her character.

If they're trying to go for a Captain Ahab vibe with her and her search for Thrawn I guess that's a cool enough idea, but the lack of any established personal history between her and Thrawn really cripples the storyline. The way she comes across in this show, she's just looking for him because she doesn't have anything better to do.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
She isn't really ahabing, she straight up tells Sabine to destroy the map if they think they will lose it again.

If anything Sabine is going a little too hard for Ezra to the point she is now siding with the obvious villains who just moments before killed her other friend.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it's sort of a mistake to have ahsoka just be a nomad living in her space van. She feels like she doesn't have anything better to do partly because she is literally just unmoored and arbitrarily flying around. Does she ever need money, food, ship repairs, etc? I guess they don't want to repeat beats from the mandalorian too much, but that's kind of a problem they made for themselves

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm utterly disappointed in all of you for not noticing the hyperspace jump calculations are functionally just dialling Stargate chevrons.

I noticed! There were too many though, even in SG-1 8 chevrons were enough to galaxy-hop.

Also, while I realize the production timelines render this impossible, I found it funny that Ahsoka wound up in the place from the new Babylon 5 animated movie. Sort of.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's a common issue with, like, every adventure story. At least the Expanse pointed out that Fred Johnson was paying for bullets and repairs.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ehh, lots of adventure stories give the characters a day job before or on the side of their call to adventure. Even most of the other characters in this nominally have a job (okay sabine appears to have just been moping in her apartment but at least she *has* an apartment to characterize her somewhat).

I mean you can sort of make out the very vague implication that ahsoka is like a space marshal considering she apparently arrested the witch, build on that a bit

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 6, 2023

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Hera runs (or ran, at least) starfighter training for the Alliance. It's a short leap to assume she's still doing that for the New Republic, and that she's be in pilotwear most of the time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hera is Jester

https://youtu.be/lyUc3u9cR2Q?si=QQOdRFe4Mz67VeR6

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
So what's the point of anything? Everything characters strove for in the original trilogy and in Rebels was all, ultimately, for nothing. The New Republic was a failure and even more corrupt than the Old Republic. Everything the characters are doing in the live action show is absolutely meaningless too because, whoops, they fail and the First Order shows up and fucks everything up.

What's the actual point when things always get worse and never get better? The new canon New Republic is even more incompetent and ruined by infighting than the New Republic of the old Legends EU.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Fivemarks posted:

So what's the point of anything? Everything characters strove for in the original trilogy and in Rebels was all, ultimately, for nothing. The New Republic was a failure and even more corrupt than the Old Republic. Everything the characters are doing in the live action show is absolutely meaningless too because, whoops, they fail and the First Order shows up and fucks everything up.

What's the actual point when things always get worse and never get better? The new canon New Republic is even more incompetent and ruined by infighting than the New Republic of the old Legends EU.

That's life!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fivemarks posted:

I don't think they're reaching for this in any coherent way so much as it falls out from the tropes they always lean on, but I guess I'd say the basic disney wars thesis about government is that the fall of the republic meant that space government was no longer really viable except as fascism. The best that can be hoped for is for found families to look after each other

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fivemarks posted:

Happily ever after doesn't make for good stories

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think it's sort of a mistake to have ahsoka just be a nomad living in her space van. She feels like she doesn't have anything better to do partly because she is literally just unmoored and arbitrarily flying around. Does she ever need money, food, ship repairs, etc? I guess they don't want to repeat beats from the mandalorian too much, but that's kind of a problem they made for themselves

A couple of characters have engaged with this specifically though, haven't they? So I *think* 'What exactly is Ahsoka doing with her life now' is supposed to be a problem and perhaps we'll get some kind of answer to that before this series is over.

I think they're doing ok with this honestly; you do have to realize that this is a bang-zoom adventure story at some point and that stuff needs to happen and sometimes they just want a neat looking scene. Like, yeah arguably maybe Ahsoka should have just cleaved the Inquisitor (and man am I glad that there was not some stupid-rear end omg twist look who is under the mask!!) in half in 2 seconds but that just doesn't make for a very exciting watch.

Genuinely did not expect Ahsoka to just fall all the way out of the universe and land in Jedi Space, though. That whole deal is something that they only scraped the surface of the implications of in Rebels so if we're going deep on that it's going to change a lot.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Temmin "Snap" Wexley was hunting Imperials like a savage when he was Jacen's age. He's probably only a few years older than Jacen during this era

Right because we're all frequently thinking of and making comparisons to beloved character Greg "JJ's friend" Grunberg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Positive things I actually like about the show so far.
-Casting seems really well done. I could never get into Rebels, but from what I've seen the cast really captures those characters as adults. Also most of the actors are like actually good actors?!
-The show is pretty to look at. Great effects mostly.
-I really like this fallen Jedi guy. He's not a sith, he's not outright evil, he's still honourable to true to his word but he's deeply jaded and thinks he's being pragmatic or fighting for some "greater good". He feels lifted from Knights of the Old Republic rather than being a cartoony black and white villain.
-The witch lady is kinda neat as a character. Neat to explore other types of force users who don't fall into the jedi/sith spectrum but instead some weird sort of force-witchcraft. She's also a well respected stunt actor so I'm kinda hoping to see some moves.

Things I don't like.
-Filoni just can't do action scenes, space or ground. His space action seems to always fall back on ships chasing each other shooting non-stop for like 15 min without hitting anything. It's stuff that could work if everything was trimmed down. I believe two ships in a dogfight chasing and shooting for a little bit, but not the extreme lengths he pads his scenes with. It's not interesting and just drags on and on. When the characters get into action it's also the exact same type of combat in all his productions. Tight close ups that allow the audience to forget where everyone else is standing so it doesn't seem as ridiculous that the good guys one-by-one defeat the bad guys while anyone off camera can't react. No one takes cover or positions themselves, no one even seems to be fighting like their lives depend on it. Everyone just kinda show-boats and tries to show off as many of their moves and weapons as possible. It never feels like there's any stakes or weight to anything so I lose interest quickly. It feels more like watching a bunch of random special-move animations from a final fantasy game taken in strict turn order rather than an actual life or death fight.
-I guess it has to be this way due to the corner the disney movies wrote the universe into with the new , but the new republic is just pants on head stupid and incompetent. But not in a believable way, it's like how a little kid would write "stupid coward politician". Less of a problem with the show and more the direction disney decided to take the setting.
-I just don't find modern star wars jedi interesting. They're not wise old samurai with subtle magic powers, they're just totally unstoppable marvel superheroes. They've decided that a jedi is 100% untouchable by blasters, rather than it being a neat trick they can sometimes do in certain situations when facing a single opponent. Doesn't matter how many opponents or how many directions they're firing, they all choose to aim at the light saber. Maybe it's some target-fixation jedi mind trick. Their powers also seem to come and go and drastically change based on what the writers want in that scene. There's no consistency, which makes me feel there's no stakes in any battle.
-So many annoying little contrivances to set up the next kewl badass action set piece. Characters splitting up for absolutely no reason, stuff like that. Like if Ahsoka could clown on that dark jedi apprentice lady and just knock her out in 2 seconds, why not stay and help the mandalorian girl finish up, then go get the orb together? It seems very out of character for someone so wise and experienced who was just told to stay together and act as a team by her ancient droid. But it happened because the writers wanted to seperate them.
-The events in pretty much all Filoni shows never feel like they're natural chains of events being created by the actions of real people. Andor very much felt like everything happening was the result of the previous thing that happened, and everyone was acting consistency within their character's motives and what information they had. In Filoni productions the writing is very much the reverse, characters suddenly do whatever it takes to contrive the plot beats and action scenes the writers wanted to include with very little worry about why they'd do that. If a character withholding information for absolutely no reason is needed to produce the drama needed, they'll do it. They don't need a reason, the reason is always "because the plot couldn't happen if they didn't"