Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm a filthy casual so please correct me if I'm wrong but the general public doesn't know that, right? And that's kind of the point? To expose all of this to everyone so that there will be some sort of global regular people revolution?

Only a handful of people around the world actually know about the Celestial Dragons, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Larryb posted:

Only a handful of people around the world actually know about the Celestial Dragons, yes

And like, the World Government literally erased like 500 years from history or something as part of the coverup. And I think Nico Robin's thing is translating ancient glyphs that are hidden around the world that give some information on that right? This is all hazy memory from like 10 years ago lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm a filthy casual so please correct me if I'm wrong but the general public doesn't know that, right? And that's kind of the point? To expose all of this to everyone so that there will be some sort of global regular people revolution?

This is getting into manga stuff so feel free to ignore, as none of it has been shown on the show yet: everybody in the world are aware of this "class" of people, but they very, very, very, very rarely ever see them. There's a whole upper class that people already mostly have good reason to hate but even they are completely beneath these top guys, who can openly murder, kidnap, beat, enslave or otherwise abuse anybody they want at any time they see fit for absolutely no reason whatsoever. If anybody ever so much as touches them the response from the Government is the One Piece equivalent of a nuclear bomb in human form showing up for a completely disproportionate response.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I will say Shanks in the show vs what I saw from the trailers exceeded my expectations. I saw the trailer and was like "that guy is not Shanks" but the actor did a good job.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elephant Ambush posted:

And like, the World Government literally erased like 500 years from history or something as part of the coverup. And I think Nico Robin's thing is translating ancient glyphs that are hidden around the world that give some information on that right? This is all hazy memory from like 10 years ago lol
100 years, but yes

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I do like how they had an early Luffy/Garp fight and they didn't let Luffy have an inch on him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Okay I was not really clear on how a pretty basic story like "search the world, find treasure" could get stretched for 1000+ chapters without just bullshit levels of padding and wheel-spinning, but Jesus Christ. Plot gets pretty loving far afield from where it starts out, I guess?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Okay I was not really clear on how a pretty basic story like "search the world, find treasure" could get stretched for 1000+ chapters without just bullshit levels of padding and wheel-spinning, but Jesus Christ. Plot gets pretty loving far afield from where it starts out, I guess?

It comes up pretty naturally and expands at a decent pace, one thing One Piece does that many things of it types don't is keep the power scaling in check. In most other shows/manga Mihawk or Garp would have been super outclassed by now, but even 1000 chapters later they are still considered top tier.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It'd be really great if people could use spoiler tags for material that hasn't come up in the show, lot of uncensored spoilers all over the place here.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

It comes up pretty naturally and expands at a decent pace, one thing One Piece does that many things of it types don't is keep the power scaling in check. In most other shows/manga Mihawk or Garp would have been super outclassed by now, but even 1000 chapters later they are still considered top tier.

Yeah, won't give spoilers, but this is not a series that won't hand the protagonists' asses to them from time to time, at least a few times of which have genuinely awful consequences that persist. And the usual rule of "this character is clearly in the middle of their development and so has plot armor" does not apply.

But also a recurring theme, which they brought up repeatedly in the LA show, is the next generation taking the place of the previous generation, which in retrospect is a little funny given the age of some of the later crewmembers. But there's a real contrast between those in the last generation who gracefully bow out and lift up the next generation versus those who refuse to step aside.

Completely unrelated to the above, but if they do manage to get to the Alabasta arc, how on earth do you think they'll handle Mr. 2? He was created in a very...different sort of time, socially speaking. I feel like they hit a nice level for Sanji's antics to keep the character but remove the sleaze, but Mr. 2 is gonna be trickier.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's a shame we skipped the scene where some marines explain why they regard Luffy as dangerous, I hope we get something like it next season. Other than Nezumi being generally salty and possibly lying again, I'd say it comes down to Luffy obviously not respecting the World Government (see the raid on Shellstown) and at this point clearly being strong enough to cause trouble (since he was able to take out Arlong's crew, the previous most notorious pirates in the East Blue).

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jerusalem posted:

They basically made it this far on good will, luck, and people basically giving them the stuff they needed. Stuff like Baratie shows what happens the first time Luffy runs into somebody who actually insists on making him pay money. It does make some moments like when they stock up on provisions before heading to Nami's island stand out because they definitely didn't have the money to pay for it. It's kind of lampshaded with the discussion between Nami and Luffy where he's positive he can just convince somebody to give him a ship while she keeps pointing out that people just don't give you poo poo for no reason.

Just to clarify slightly, everyone on the crew but Luffy does have money. This can be seen by the rest of the crew continuing to party at the Baratie while Luffy is paying his tab via dishwashing.

Luffy is in trouble because he tried to pay with an IOU, and then went on to promise some money from The One Piece to pay. Sanji knew what was coming and, like the rest of the gang, was enjoying the show. If things had gone on more than a day or so I'm sure Ni or Zorro would have stepped in.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CapnAndy posted:

to say One Piece is a "Grand Adventure" is an understatement. It's got lots of fun creative Shonen battles, but it also has quite a bit of excellent expanding on the larger world beyond the strawhat pirates, and also the ramifications of their adventures. such as them taking out one baddie creating a huge power vacuum that causes a bunch of lesser pirates kept in check to start causing mayhem trying to claim the territory previously controlled by the defeated bad guy.

It is a little hosed up that socialsecurity just dropped that untagged in the thread for this show that doesnt even cover the full prologue though

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 6, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

socialsecurity posted:

I do like how they had an early Luffy/Garp fight and they didn't let Luffy have an inch on him.

Same w/ Mihawk, tho that was a 1:1 translation from the comics. OP does a better job with power scaling than any other comic series I've read, more or less staying consistent from early on. Story spoilers beyond what's shown in the show: Crew chumps the East Blue, and then mostly gets by through quirks (rubber vs. an electric power) in the early Grand Line until they get wiped out when actual big players show up.

Was super pleased that that seems to be maintained in this adaption.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

to say One Piece is a "Grand Adventure" is an understatement. It's got lots of fun creative Shonen battles, but it also has quite a bit of excellent expanding on the larger world beyond the strawhat pirates, and also the ramifications of their adventures. such as them taking out one baddie creating a huge power vacuum that causes a bunch of lesser pirates kept in check to start causing mayhem trying to claim the territory previously controlled by the defeated bad guy.

It is a little hosed up that socialsecurity just dropped that untagged in the thread for this show that doesnt even cover the full prologue though
Yeah seems like this should definitely be a manga/anime spoiler free zone, a decent number of people are watching it for the first time.

In terms of broad strokes I do think Oda's original plan for the series was a fairly straightforward adventure story, and a lot of the deeper worldbuilding ideas were brought in later to expand the manga after it became successful. Something interesting that the live action does is bring some of these ideas forwards - for example, the fishman racism angle is there in the manga, but the show made it relevant earlier by having Arlong talk about it. You also have the relationship between the World Government and the Warlords explored during the Garp/Koby scenes (which are enormously expanded from the manga's version of that storyline).

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I was thinking last night that if this show compresses 32 hours of the anime into 8 hours and can hopefully expect more seasons, this show is still going to take a long rear end time to catch up to the manga

If there are 1000 episodes of the anime, that's approximately 500 hours of time, and 1/4 of that is 125 hours. If we get 8 1-hour episodes per season, that's over 15 years of episodes. And that assumes that there's a new season every year and that nothing goes wrong or slows down production and nobody leaves the show to go do other things, as is frequent in the industry

So I don't really think this show will keep going that long and if they do actually try to do that they're going to run into The Stranger Things Problem where all the actors get too old to look their parts and I wonder if they'd consider re-casting everyone after the time skip

This is all just rambling random thoughts so please don't take any of it too seriously

season 1 of the live action covered approx 1/11th of the manga so far (which is finally getting towards the end but that end is still years away) and so it would take about another 10 seasons to adapt the manga so far. seems pretty impossible they ever get anywhere near that far, i give it one or two seasons more at most, just because netflix + the obvious budget problems of future arcs when this was already one of the most expensive tv series ever, but i also thought there was no way this would be decent so we'll see i guess

i haven't finished the season yet but my biggest issue has been making everything revolve around luffy a little too much in order to connect the plot together in ways that feel a bit contrived. i also don't really like what they did to garp's characterisation, he's not jolly enough. him sending mihawk after luffy was pretty silly but in the manga he wouldn't throw a tantrum if that didn't work out, he'd laugh it off

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As someone who doesn't know much about One Piece, none of these posts register as spoilers to me.

"Chachi uses the level 5 cagliostro coil on the Piss Couch Dragon during the Futterwacken arc"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've read enough One Piece to know that while the fisheye lens doesn't make sense now, in like season 9 Oda will tell us it's actually because of Whale Tears or something and we'll all be amazed at the foreshadowing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I actually appreciated a majority of the fisheye closeup stuff because it broke up the shots a lot better than some of the bland-rear end direction seen in shows like Ahsoka.
This show actually seemed properly storyboarded. I mean, I guess it was easy since they were trying to directly reference shots from the manga/anime.

The only shots I thought were a bit awkward were using the fisheye for tight framing of faces sometimes since it made Sanji's chin look especially pointy and distorted when it was near the edge of the screen.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Fish eye lens don't need no reason.

Fish eye lens don't give a gently caress

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

The nods to stuff they had to leave out, like Don Krieg's cameo, are so well done.

In a lot of adaptations these kinds of nods feel tacked on - an obligation or throwing a bone to the fans. I love Baratie and they changed it a lot, but the little touches seem to express a love for the source material and regret for leaving out some cool stuff to make the adaptation work.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

TengenNewsEditor posted:

The nods to stuff they had to leave out, like Don Krieg's cameo, are so well done.

In a lot of adaptations these kinds of nods feel tacked on - an obligation or throwing a bone to the fans. I love Baratie and they changed it a lot, but the little touches seem to express a love for the source material and regret for leaving out some cool stuff to make the adaptation work.

I agree, and it's one of the big things that stuck out to me. While I didn't mind Don Krieg being relegated to a short scene because they still got over both his character and his purpose in the story I remarked that I was disappointed at no Gin...only for him to later show up in a great scene!

A lot of care was done in keeping the heart and meaning of a lot of important beats, and I'm sure any issues I may have now will be addressed by season 2, such as Garp's more jovial side, which was teased in the last episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zoro also had two sidekicks of sorts with him in the anime/manga but they weren’t really that important and disappear from the story right after Arlong Park so the live action series leaving them out doesn’t really matter much

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm a big fan of how they implemented the original opening theme of the anime into the score. I would have liked to see Overtaken get a nod during the Walk to Arlong Park but the new ost is good too.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Larryb posted:

Zoro also had two sidekicks of sorts with him in the anime/manga but they weren’t really that important and disappear from the story right after Arlong Park so the live action series leaving them out doesn’t really matter much

Honestly Johnny and Yosaku not being present got a big "awww :(" from me. I really like those two goofs. They add a lot of texture to Baratie & Arlong Park, I always felt, and they're the first in a longstanding One Piece tradition of "the 1 or 2 arc tagalong side characters" (unless you count Coby as that, I guess).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was not a fan of how the show handled a lot of the fishmen racism material in the back half of the season, or the way it handled Nami in that very last episode. Not great -- sometimes confusing, but overall probably just sat fairly badly with me.

Overall the show was very shallow, but the spectacle was good, and the acting (with one major exception) was great.

But yeah, nah, that subplot.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
OK so this show might actually make me take another attempt at reading the manga. I appreciate people posting links to cheap monthly sub sites to start reading it but is there any kind of guide that lists which chapters/volumes are filler and which ones cover the main plot? If I can reliably skip most of the filler I think I might be able to make it a lot further this time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK so this show might actually make me take another attempt at reading the manga. I appreciate people posting links to cheap monthly sub sites to start reading it but is there any kind of guide that lists which chapters/volumes are filler and which ones cover the main plot? If I can reliably skip most of the filler I think I might be able to make it a lot further this time

There is no filler

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

I was not a fan of how the show handled a lot of the fishmen racism material in the back half of the season, or the way it handled Nami in that very last episode. Not great -- sometimes confusing, but overall probably just sat fairly badly with me.

Overall the show was very shallow, but the spectacle was good, and the acting (with one major exception) was great.

But yeah, nah, that subplot.

This is largely a problem of condensing, since Nami’s breakdown had a lot more lead-in originally. I guess they still wanted to hit those big scenes that were one-to-one with the original, but condensed down the way they were, the emotional beats don’t feel quite as earned, I guess. I agree with another poster too, that I was a little disappointed that they dropped Luffy’s bit about not being able to do everything and needing people to help him since those couple of lines add a nice bit to his character.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Larryb posted:

There is no filler

*very little filler. Like “dude trapped in treasure chest on a random island” is a nice little character beat for Luffy, but I don’t think it ever really comes up again outside of the title page sub-stories.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HPanda posted:

*very little filler. Like “dude trapped in treasure chest on a random island” is a nice little character beat for Luffy, but I don’t think it ever really comes up again outside of the title page sub-stories.

Oh yeah. I forgot that guy was in the manga too. Otherwise I can’t really think of anything else that doesn’t at least become important in some way later

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

HPanda posted:

That guy is vitally important because he’s the setup to a joke that Oda waited a literal decade to give the punchline on.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Alacron posted:

That guy is vitally important because he’s the setup to a joke that Oda waited a literal decade to give the punchline on.

Wait, I’m blanking on this one. Which joke?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Alacron posted:

OK I'm starting to not believe "there is no filler" if things like this are considered important

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

HPanda posted:

Wait, I’m blanking on this one. Which joke?

During the timeskip, Gimon hooks up with a lady named Sarfunkle.

Not a great joke, but I respect the dedication.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The closest thing I can think of to filler past that is the Foxy Pirates bit. And even then, it finishes with story-important stuff. Maybe there are a couple of flashbacks that could have probably been trimmed down?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

OK I'm starting to not believe "there is no filler" if things like this are considered important

You’d be surprised

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Elephant Ambush posted:

Some bits are less important than others, but it's a linear story with very little deviation from the main plot outside of flashbacks... but those are placed where they're immediately relevant, like is done in the show. Al the early arcs introduce Straw Hat's, or some facet of the world that comes back later in the story.

It's also the series greatest asset that the world is incredibly well connected, so, for example, a whale you meet early in the story later becomes an incredibly emotional crux for a new crew member's backstory hundreds of chapters later. Buggy will keep coming back, and in incredibly satisfying and surprising ways.

If you need to skip around to keep interest, read it however you want! But this is very much a case of journey being better than the destination, and it pays dividends to not just jump to the series halfway points.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, it's very linear storytelling. You wouldn't skip chapters of a book to get to the "good parts". It's the same principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Honestly, one of the reasons I struggled to get into One Piece before was because I kept skipping around to arcs that sounded interesting, and while that's a valid approach for long-running manga with more segmented and self-contained arcs (like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure), everything in OP is so densely connected that you aren't getting anywhere near the intended emotional weight of any part of the story unless you start from the beginning and read each page in order. When I started actually reading from the very beginning it finally impressed on me just how much of a masterclass OP is in its storytelling.

As for the anime? Yeah, that's a different story, turns out trying to make sure each episode only covers one manga chapter to avoid catching up with the manga and ending up in filler hell when a typical shonen adaptation can put 2-4 chapters to a single episode leads to wretched, bloated pacing.

But even then, some of the filler is worth watching, like the G-8 arc—a 12-episode anime-original arc that does a lot to flesh out and humanize the Marines in much the same way the Garp and Koby stuff in OPLA does and is basically an honorary canon arc for how well it matches Oda's sensibilities.