Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

pokie posted:

Trying harder...
What about this guy? https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US...l&order=closest

I am a bit iffy on convertibles cuz more failure points...

Yes yes yes!

This is my favorite Porsche color full stop. Plz buy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Russian Bear posted:

Yes yes yes!

This is my favorite Porsche color full stop. Plz buy this.

Wife greatly approves this color choice... Welp, now I have to!

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Miami blue looks sooooo good in person

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I don't like it, tbh.

Therefore I would not buy it.

But if you like it, you should buy it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hm, weird how that dealer's site doesn't have actual photos

https://www.porschechandler.com/used/Porsche/2019-Porsche-718+Boxster-near-phoenix-57b90f150a0e0a9478e8c68697d2e671.htm

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

One thing not really covered here is that Porsche CPO from a Porsche dealer will have a very good extended warranty from Porsche.

Convertible things:

Most tracks don't let you drive with the top down :(

If you're taller than 6'3" you probably won't fit in one with a helmet on.

Visibility is poor with the top up, the Lane Change Assist feature deals with this very well.

The Boxster/Cayman has enough road noise that with the top up there's not much of a difference between them.

You'll lose lots of hats. Keep a few extra in the frunk.

You'll get sunburned. Completely avoidable with sunblock and lip balm.

I love convertibles so I'm not one to talk you out of it.

The Boxster is not a 911, so if you're considering used Porsches...

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Aquila posted:

One thing not really covered here is that Porsche CPO from a Porsche dealer will have a very good extended warranty from Porsche.

Convertible things:

Most tracks don't let you drive with the top down :(

If you're taller than 6'3" you probably won't fit in one with a helmet on.

Visibility is poor with the top up, the Lane Change Assist feature deals with this very well.

The Boxster/Cayman has enough road noise that with the top up there's not much of a difference between them.

You'll lose lots of hats. Keep a few extra in the frunk.

You'll get sunburned. Completely avoidable with sunblock and lip balm.

I love convertibles so I'm not one to talk you out of it.

Thanks for the tips. I am 6'1" and regular Cayman felt great to sit in, so I will likely be fine.

I do not plan to track an expensive car, at least not at this stage of my life.

What kind of hats are least prone to loss? Dorky ones with chin straps I assume - anything besides that?

I am not a fan of 911. I find the useless back seats offensive.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Aquila posted:

That’s right the Boxster and Cayman are better because the engine is in the correct place (the middle).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Back seat is useless unless you have a very young family or all your friends are war amputees, but it is a handy place to dump stuff.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

slidebite posted:

Back seat is useless unless you have a very young family or all your friends are war amputees, but it is a handy place to dump stuff.

My father in law has a very old Porsche, 924, I think, and he has removed the back seats and put in a dog bed in there. Dude also rebuilt the whole engine on his own one winter and wanted to talk about it for hours, haha.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Buy your father in law a membership here. Sounds like a good dude.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

pokie posted:

We used to have a 991.1. One of the back seats was usable, for a total of three adult passengers: driver - shotgun - behind shotgun

We have a 987.2 now, and I very much would like a 911 again once kiddo #2 can be front-facing - we can fit the entire family plus some luggage at that point, which would be ideal for short trips.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

pokie posted:

I do not plan to track an expensive car, at least not at this stage of my life.
But it's really fun.

quote:

What kind of hats are least prone to loss? Dorky ones with chin straps I assume - anything besides that?
I don't know, after losing a few of my favorite hats I just starting using cheap drugstore baseball hats with the top down.

quote:

:same:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
We bought a 911 specifically because it was one of a tiny handful of sportscars with rear seats so we could cart our daughter around. The only others I looked at were Lotus Evoras and Mustang GT350s but neither were as easy to justify.

We did wrap it the closest equivalent to Mexico Blue though so we have that in common at least :v:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

pokie posted:

If you spend enough money on the 911 though they don’t even give you the rear seats!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

morothar posted:

We used to have a 991.1. One of the back seats was usable, for a total of three adult passengers: driver - shotgun - behind shotgun

We have a 987.2 now, and I very much would like a 911 again once kiddo #2 can be front-facing - we can fit the entire family plus some luggage at that point, which would be ideal for short trips.

I'm curious if I end up wanting to swap my 993 for a more practical/bigger 911 with back seats at some point as my family gets older. My guy loves riding in dad's red car, but it's not super practical for taking the family on road trips.

Or I rebuild my garage and/or pay for storage for more cars.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Or I rebuild my garage and/or pay for storage for more cars.

This is the only solution that makes sense since you declined my offer to buy that thing so you didn't have to move it across the country.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You'd need the "air cooled oil diaper" option to park the 993 up top.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went to test drive a basic PDK boxster this chilly morning. It was pretty fun. I didn't have launch control trouble this time, probably because I floored it less.

I called the dealer with the turquoise porsche and might do a fly-n-ride next week after they service it (they just got it) etc. I just want to make sure they will proved CPO warranty.

slidebite posted:

Buy your father in law a membership here. Sounds like a good dude.

Unfortunately he is a technophobe.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

I went to test drive a basic PDK boxster this chilly morning. It was pretty fun. I didn't have launch control trouble this time, probably because I floored it less.

I called the dealer with the turquoise porsche and might do a fly-n-ride next week after they service it (they just got it) etc. I just want to make sure they will proved CPO warranty.

Unfortunately he is a technophobe.

pdk is fine for daily driving it, but for a weekend car you want a 6 speed. I'd honestly not recommend a boxster as a daily. A macan/ cayenne/ panamera is a much better daily. Ive dailied my boxster and 911 in the past, was definitely suffering for it. They just ride too rough and are too small , and have too much road noise for that kind of driving. Then again, I also prefer my LS460 to my Panamera Turbo S Executive for daily driving. YMMV

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Taycans have depreciated quite heavily* over the last few months, much better daily driver than a Macan

*:smith:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Arione posted:

pdk is fine for daily driving it, but for a weekend car you want a 6 speed. I'd honestly not recommend a boxster as a daily. A macan/ cayenne/ panamera is a much better daily. Ive dailied my boxster and 911 in the past, was definitely suffering for it. They just ride too rough and are too small , and have too much road noise for that kind of driving. Then again, I also prefer my LS460 to my Panamera Turbo S Executive for daily driving. YMMV

It felt about as comfy as my challenger. I don't think you could convince me to get a 4 seater. The turquoise porsche I am referring to is this one
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US...l&order=closest
The Miami blue one manual boxster 718 GTS a few folks above are excited about.

E: Dealer called me back and said they wanna sell it within the state, and I can't get it unless it doesn't sell in 30 days. WTF.

pokie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 6, 2023

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I daily my 986 (S, btw) and it rules.

hth

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Taycans have depreciated quite heavily* over the last few months, much better daily driver than a Macan

I saw a sport turismo taycan in a nice khaki color on vacation last weekend that looked aces. Even my partner commented "what's that car?".

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

This is the only solution that makes sense since you declined my offer to buy that thing so you didn't have to move it across the country.

Garage is too narrow, too short. :smithicide:

Arione posted:

Amen. I used to have a 987 Boxster Spyder with the tent roof. On the weekend, driving through winding country roads, it was awesome. On Friday mornings at 630am it was awesome on the drive to work (especially during COVID). Driving home, sitting in the carbon bucket seats, rowing through the gears in bumper to bumper summer rush hour traffic on the Schuylkill was less awesome.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

It felt about as comfy as my challenger. I don't think you could convince me to get a 4 seater. The turquoise porsche I am referring to is this one
https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US...l&order=closest
The Miami blue one manual boxster 718 GTS a few folks above are excited about.

unfortunately thats a turbo 4 cyl gts, not "the real gts" with the N/A 4.0L. its also almost 70k with 40k miles.

Spend the extra 15-20k for a 2016 Spyder. They all have way lower miles. The 3.8 sounds better than the 4.0 anyways, if you are concerned about android auto or apple carplay you are buying the wrong car anyways.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...pyder&zip=92028

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Residency Evil posted:

Garage is too narrow, too short. :smithicide:

Amen. I used to have a 987 Boxster Spyder with the tent roof. On the weekend, driving through winding country roads, it was awesome. On Friday mornings at 630am it was awesome on the drive to work (especially during COVID). Driving home, sitting in the carbon bucket seats, rowing through the gears in bumper to bumper summer rush hour traffic on the Schuylkill was less awesome.

Yeah I had a 05 987S (RS370 package) and then a 06 997 C2, Great on the weekends, god awful sitting in traffic. Both 6mt's. Still have my 16 spyder and my 14 Panamera TSE. I did swap the 997 for a 14 LS460, great decision imo. The 16 Spyder was way more car than the 997 anyways. I also sold my 04 Cayenne Turbo, but that thing was a maintenance nightmare and just had to go.

Arione fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 6, 2023

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

We keep being tempted, but I can’t shake the feeling that the Taycan will go obsolete much faster than a comparably-priced 911 (cheapest within 500 miles is ~$85K, that’s 991.1/2 money).

From test-sitting one, the Tacan is super-cool.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I don't care at all about engine sound as long as it's not too loud. I don't want to spend 15-20 more if I can help it, but I will take a look. I am still in shock they don't wanna sell me the thing. Porsche finder has a reserve button for it and everything.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

morothar posted:

We keep being tempted, but I can’t shake the feeling that the Taycan will go obsolete much faster than a comparably-priced 911 (cheapest within 500 miles is ~$85K, that’s 991.1/2 money).

My dealer service manager told me to never ever buy a taycan, apparently they are in all the time for various reasons.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

pokie posted:

I don't care at all about engine sound as long as it's not too loud. I don't want to spend 15-20 more if I can help it, but I will take a look. I am still in shock they don't wanna sell me the thing. Porsche finder has a reserve button for it and everything.

*taps the thread title*

Yeah that one is weird, but maybe they want the residual maintenance. That being said I wouldnt buy a turbo 718 period. The driving experience just isnt the same and they dont handle nearly as well on tight back roads. Had an S several times as a loaner and drove the same roads that I would when I had my 987S and 981Spyder in socal, they are just miles apart, the turbo 4 cyl is all or nothing, completely unable to finesse the throttle in the corners.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

morothar posted:

Mine is coming up to 3 years old, warranty is 4 years and... 8 I think for the battery. It hasn't been totally problem free with a couple of high voltage heaters breaking, but I don't see any range reduction or other signs of the battery loving up.

I hadn't really planned this far ahead when I got it but probably I'll just keep it for the next few years. Great car for my use case.

Arione posted:

My dealer service manager told me to never ever buy a taycan, apparently they are in all the time for various reasons.

lol

e: my impression is that dealers stand to make a lot less from servicing electric cars

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Arione posted:

Yeah I had a 05 987S (RS370 package) and then a 06 997 C2, Great on the weekends, god awful sitting in traffic. Both 6mt's. Still have my 16 spyder and my 14 Panamera TSE. I did swap the 997 for a 14 LS460, great decision imo. The 16 Spyder was way more car than the 997 anyways. I also sold my 04 Cayenne Turbo, but that thing was a maintenance nightmare and just had to go.

Yeah I'm trying to figure out what to replace our DD Macan with. On the one hand, it's an incredible daily driver, comfortable, reasonably fast, and practical. On the other hand paying Por$sche prices at the dealer is getting old for a car that's primarily responsible for taking me to work, daycare, and biking/skiing. Wonder how the EV Macan will end up being.

morothar posted:

I've had a Taycan as a loaner a few times and it's an awesome car, although we tend to buy cars, and I'm wondering what the ownership experience for an EV is like over 7-10 years.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Arione posted:

LS460s are incredible. I had an SRT Grand Cherokee then we bought a tuned 996TT as a fun car so I traded the Jeep in on a used LS460 for commuting. I loved that car and kept it for over 5 years when it was meant as a temporary car while we were moving. Just sold it 3 weeks ago after getting an EV6 GT, which is an absolutely hilarious car.

Still miss the stereo and impossibly good everything quality though.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

knox_harrington posted:

Mine is coming up to 3 years old, warranty is 4 years and... 8 I think for the battery. It hasn't been totally problem free with a couple of high voltage heaters breaking, but I don't see any range reduction or other signs of the battery loving up.

I hadn't really planned this far ahead when I got it but probably I'll just keep it for the next few years. Great car for my use case.

lol

e: my impression is that dealers stand to make a lot less from servicing electric cars

Dunno, definately not doing oil changes and tranny flushes, but you still have brakes, rotors, tires, module problems, etc

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I want something like this but I'm pretty sure my garage is too short.

So I'll have to build a garage shed next to the house that'll handle it :v:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Arione posted:

Dunno, definately not doing oil changes and tranny flushes, but you still have brakes, rotors, tires, module problems, etc

It's definitely hard on tyres, I got through a pair of winter fronts in 2 seasons. I do run them quite late in the year with late season skiing though.

It shouldn't get through brake parts very quickly with the regeneration.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I found this baby within driving distance. Not Porsche dealer though.

https://www.archibalds.net/vehicle-...source=cars.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Should I be concerned that this car has had 5 owners in as many years?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHisto...4H-MKP3PUEGc7g8

pokie fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 7, 2023