Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I would like the Astros to lose and the Mariners to win.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/theisen95/status/1699507482429628520?s=20

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I guess the "there it is" in the song refers to his condolences to Tim Kurkjian.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I hope Boog never puts on that headset again.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i hope jeff garlin never does a stretch again

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

more falafel please posted:

i hope jeff garlin never does a stretch again

I THOUGHT HE WAS CANCELED!!!!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

They literally wrote him out of his own show and then killed his character off between seasons because everybody on set hated him so much.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

he delayed the start of the stretch to complain about exit velo and launch angle and then explained that he was making a joke because the confines did not care

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I would like the Astros to lose and the Mariners to win.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

hosed up if true

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Is Frank Thomas the only baseball player to ever get his own pinball machine?

Postwar, I think so. There was also a Cubs pinball machine in ‘85 from the same company. It helps that the pinball companies were all based out of Chicago for decades and Gottlieb liked cheaper licenses. The Yankees were a perennial favorite for licensing for decades as well.

The problem with licensing a sports player rather than the league in general is that your potential market shrinks to people who like that particular player, or are in a particular region. You can get away with it if it’s a crossover superstar (Shaq had his own pinball table) but otherwise you’re putting up a big initial investment for smaller potential returns.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/DanGordonation/status/1699523394817896871

lol Madrigal

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

My new favorite oaf

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Speaking of oafs, Schwarber has 40 homers and 39 singles this year.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
What's the lowest WAR a player with 40 homeruns has ever had in a season

0.3 has to be at least close

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Maybe try and do that poo poo right at the beginning of the inning, not in the middle of an AB so you don't get caught giving condolences in the middle of Whoomp! playing in the background.

Also, I hate to play the what if game, but if the Cubs don't blow those two games with the Reds, they'd be in first. Ah well.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

How about having an OPS over .800 while having a BA under .200? Seems just as rare.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Intruder posted:

He was still at negative a week or two ago, it's pretty hilarious.

Hard to fault him for the Phillies' decision to sign 13 DHs and then get injured a lot so that Kyle "Definitely An Outfielder" Schwarber needs to play LF.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

How about having an OPS over .800 while having a BA under .200? Seems just as rare.

That feels very Gallovian (Gallosian?) to me

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

more falafel please posted:

That feels very Gallovian (Gallosian?) to me

Or Adam Dunn. Any of the TTO guys.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Gallo did it in 2021 across two teams and almost did it in 2018 (.206 average)

e: beaten

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bird in a Blender posted:

Maybe try and do that poo poo right at the beginning of the inning, not in the middle of an AB so you don't get caught giving condolences in the middle of Whoomp! playing in the background.

Also, I hate to play the what if game, but if the Cubs don't blow those two games with the Reds, they'd be in first. Ah well.

Would they? They're 1.5 back of the Brewers so I'm pretty sure winning both Reds games means they'd still be 0.5 back.

Also Boog would have gotten through the condolences in time for the HR if he didn't have to keep re-iterating that you know he works for ESPN as well, and he does charity work, and he works with ALS folks, and-

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
https://twitter.com/talkinbaseball_/status/1699525404103434546?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw

Paid?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Shoulda started the condolences at Madrigal, since the odds of him hitting a homer are way lower.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

Would they? They're 1.5 back of the Brewers so I'm pretty sure winning both Reds games means they'd still be 0.5 back.

Also Boog would have gotten through the condolences in time for the HR if he didn't have to keep re-iterating that you know he works for ESPN as well, and he does charity work, and he works with ALS folks, and-

They'd be 78-62 so they'd be half a game up

You can't just add to the wins column, you also have to subtract from the loss column

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ oh yeah duh :downs:

It's standard procedure until MLB concludes their investigation and decides to suspend or not.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This seems to be the standard with the DV protocol these days. They go on indefinite paid leave until the league finishes its investigation then a decision comes down.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1699525934498697360?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Or Adam Dunn. Any of the TTO guys.

without looking it up, Carlos Peρa

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Soroka to the IL, Darius Vines back up to start likely Sunday after a solid debut last week at Coors. Chirinos went to the 60-day so that should be the last of him. Kyle Wright progressing in rehab and I assume he's on the postseason roster if all goes well but there's hardly gonna be any time to really feel out where he's at in live games.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1699504801170743392?s=46

Guards? Anyone?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Middleton, the dude the Yankees got at the deadline, is on the IL with shoulder inflammation. Cashman does it again!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes, it is definitely the GM's fault when pitchers get hurt

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yankees have won 7 of 8, they swept the Astros, their big paid vets are hitting, and their stud prospect is playing like one so you know, gotta get mad at them for something.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is it just me or does this guy sound a lot like Brennaman?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

STAC Goat posted:

Yankees have won 7 of 8, they swept the Astros, their big paid vets are hitting, and their stud prospect is playing like one so you know, gotta get mad at them for something.

They better sweep the Brewers too :argh:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Sydin posted:

I hope Boog never puts on that headset again.

I still like Boog :shrug:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bregor posted:

I still like Boog :shrug:

Boog and JD together are good. Mowins good too. Everyone else ranges from kind of sucks to awful.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Boog is a classic national announcer, which is just pretty neutral and boring. He's good at calling games and broadcasting in general, but he's not enough of a homer to be a home team announcer. The Mike Tauchman catch to rob the Cardinals of a walk-off and win the game for the Cubs was an all-time moment in a 130+ year old rivalry and Boog completely booted the call for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFli2xamBe0

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 7, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the pittsburgh pirates own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Cardinals just killed Strider's Cy Young chances.