Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the true enemy as Ned Stark told us is "north of the wall" (the wall is New Hope PA)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I am a fan of the Dallas Cowboys.

very brave

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m also a Cowboy fan now. Dak > Hurts (sincere opinion although this season could easily flip it) Parsons > *

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I worry Parsons is gonna get injured in a big way

A concern I had last season too, to be fair

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Can the defending NFC champs be this years “nobody believes in us!” team?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

beep by grandpa posted:

While i love the eagles being good but it's so stressful, my heart much better handles a 6-11 clownball season, but I just wanna see Hurts get a ring so bad. He's my fav personal story in the nfl and I wanna see the dude win it all.

beep by grandpa posted:

I swear to god if it weren't for jalen hurts being the most likeable athlete in the world + his underdog story + huge improvement in talent id prob actively root against my own city just cause i think clownball is fun

Same. It's weird but I always hate when the Eagles (or Phillies or 76ers) are predicted to dominate and crush everything in their path and I much prefer when we can fly under the radar. I don't think too many media outlets or fans were predicting a run to the Super Bowl against KC last year but now that we seem to be the clear bet to win the NFC, I just know something is gonna gently caress it up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Football is so injury dependent there never is a sure thing

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
i don't pay much attention to it when teams bang the "nobody respects us!" drum, because i feel like lots of teams that experience success go there at some point. the chiefs have dabbled, and they've been striking fear into the league for like five years. the patriots did it. it's dumb. if the eagles do it, it'll still be dumb. but whatever.

i've definitely seen a bunch of "the eagles will regress and be good-to-very-good" takes, but those don't strike me as disrespectful so much as just ... reasonable and safe. especially with the harder schedule.

edit: also, we're insane if we think we can keep letting hurts run the way he does without losing him to serious injury.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 7, 2023

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
You'd think with the amount of disrespect I have for the cowboys they'd have won a playoff game once in the past 30 years

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

They won one last year!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
they killed Tom Brady!

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
that's true, but i'm afraid when zeke got absolutely blown the gently caress up on the last play of the niners game he actually dropped the previous round's playoff win like sonic ejecting rings after running into spikes

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress off, if anything that ending salvaged the season

Had the game just ended with a boring wet fart I'd give you that

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
okay okay that's fair

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Eagles are going to skate into the playoffs again everyone stop being worried

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Idk if we're super bowl contender material again with the amount of injuries a 20-game season brings but the eagles are superbly fine but I do think there is some merit to philly fans being salty after hearing "your schedule was so easy, you didn't beat anyone" all year from everybody and then held KC to a 3 point squeaker in the final seconds even after gifting them 7 free pts with that fumble

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

If I want to feel something about this team again I just remember how loud I screamed when Hurts pushed thru 5 KC defenders to get that 2pt conversion

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
we made it through another offseason

i really like this thread and everybody in it, even the ones who have inexplicably attached themselves to the god drat dallas cowboys (gently caress em).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Toaster Beef posted:

god drat dallas cowboys (gently caress em).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Idk if we're super bowl contender material again with the amount of injuries a 20-game season brings but the eagles are superbly fine but I do think there is some merit to philly fans being salty after hearing "your schedule was so easy, you didn't beat anyone" all year from everybody and then held KC to a 3 point squeaker in the final seconds even after gifting them 7 free pts with that fumble

If the Super Bowl was played on an actual football field the eagles would have won by 14 or more. The refs were in the bag too but they could have been overcome

The best you can say for the NFl is they did not want Mahomes to be killed by the eagles pass rush during their big time TV event (like the eagles did to Purdy and turned the nfc championship into a “bad” tv game) . Which is kind of understandable. That’s the best interpretation possible for them i think.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 7, 2023

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

euphronius posted:

If the Super Bowl was played on an actual football field the eagles would have won by 14 or more. The refs were in the bag too but they could have been overcome

The best you can say for the NFl is they did not want Mahomes to be killed by the eagles pass rush during their big time TV event (like the eagles did to Purdy and turned the nfc championship into a “bad” tv game) . Which is kind of understandable. That’s the best interpretation possible for them i think.

You’re going full Mr. Logan. Never go full Mr. Logan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you think I’m salty still , roseman can barely talk about the Super Bowl still. He seethes with rage at the nfl to this day

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I thought the most impressive part of the Super Bowl is how they rolled out a different field every time the Chiefs did something good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I enjoyed how the eagles all had to change shoes halfway through the first half because their equipment manager hosed up but the chiefs did not.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Dave posted:

I thought the most impressive part of the Super Bowl is how they rolled out a different field every time the Chiefs did something good.

That’s about the level of understanding I’d expect from a jets fan

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

euphronius posted:

That’s about the level of understanding I’d expect from a jets fan

That's the level of cope I would expect from an Eagles fan.

(Not a Jets fan so: wrong, unintelligent, on the spectrum -- matches most of your posts. )

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Good to see the NFC East thread already in midseason arguing form. Gonna be a good year for clownball, I can feel it!

Also:

Shinjobi posted:

I would sooner hear a chorus of gently caress the cowboys for the next 5 days

Day 2: gently caress the Cowboys

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Shinjobi posted:

I would sooner hear a chorus of gently caress the cowboys for the next 5 days than entertain any other football conspiracy theories.

That or more cautious optimism from Washington fans, freed from the yoke of Snyder oppression.

https://youtu.be/dPuj0eyruBM?si=TXEQgeJOKKeU_Cmb

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I enjoyed how the eagles all had to change shoes halfway through the first half because their equipment manager hosed up but the chiefs did not.

Something is off about that imo I just don't know what

Also the Eagles last year playing on normal turf win that game and you can't convince me otherwise

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

The Eagles lost because they played badly and the defense didn’t get any sacks because they’re chokers who are actually bad, one of the worst d-lines ever imo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Diqnol posted:

Something is off about that imo I just don't know what

Also the Eagles last year playing on normal turf win that game and you can't convince me otherwise

Correct

Taking the QBs out of the equation for a moment, the biggest disparity between the teams was the eagles advantage on pass rush . The eagles pass rush was dominating teams and QBs. The game before the pass rush completely obliterated the 49ers. Further The pass rush was also the only chance the eagles had at containing Mahomes . Other than a fluke int on a tip or whatever . Mahomes is too good to be contained just by good corners (which the eagles have anyway) .

So the nfl completely neutralizes the eagles pass rush by destroying the field. If you watch the game, on many plays the eagles d line ends a play on the ground with a lineman on them since they can get no traction with their cleats . The eagles ends would try to get leverage to get around the outside shoulder of a tackle and their feet would just slide out from under them like they were on ice .
This action by the NFL removed the eagles greatest advantage and turned what should have been a game in favor of the eagles into one based on the disparity between Mahomes and hurts (with no pass rush against either). (I.e., the nfl changed the game into a no-defense shootout which favors the chiefs esp with ref help) . Hurts played out of his mind anyway (with a bad shoulder ) and almost ruined goodells schemes

This is all clear from watching there is no “conspiracy theory” or whatever slur you want to use.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they should of started the game with the right cleats

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

maybe the only superbowl in history decided by equipment managers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

For example here is a action shot of Reddick (while on the cardinals )

This was impossible in the Super Bowl because he would have fallen down earlier in the play as he went to the outside of the tackle due to the field conditions

Reddick had 19.5 sacks last year but 0 in the Super Bowl

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

indigi posted:

they should of started the game with the right cleats

Even with the right cleats the players said the field was still a mess and made pass rushing nearly impossible or ineffective

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is a play where Reddick gets past a block by a RB on a play action but is already slipping on the field

He does not make the tackle on Mahomes because he lost his footing going wide while leaning

Here is a better shot you can see Reddick has lost his footing and the eagles miss what would have been a clean sack

Edit

Here is an example of both eagles ends down on the turf . Reddick is circled . He had no chance on the painted part

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 7, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

He should learn to stay on his feet if he wants to succeed in this league.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yea thats all funny as gently caress gently caress the eagles lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Here is a good example of how the field helped the chiefs. Reddick is a speed rusher that gets to the outside and depends on his footwork . At this point of the field he has lost his confidence in the field and against a 1:1 matchup with the RT , he uses a bull rush which is not his strength at all. Major advantage to the chiefs

This was a TD throw to kelce

Edit

Here is one of his QB pressures you can see Mahomes ran out of the pocket and Reddick was able to get a more traditional running stance and was able to chase him down

Edit

Not the best YouTube quality I am sorry

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Those are all fair points and I appreciate the images to help prove the point

Here's an image of my counterargument