Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I cannot wrap my head around the idea that you're not drowning in ads is a bad thing somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Perestroika posted:

He's from the era where they kept trying to do kharacters that were basically just "Kano but a little different" instead of just using Kano, and he's arguably the least interesting of the lot. Another aspect is that his visual design was... unfortunate.

One of these days he's going to get Flash Gordon!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Crowetron posted:

I cannot wrap my head around the idea that you're not drowning in ads is a bad thing somehow.

It’s less that and more “I don’t really know what to expect the game to be like”. Besides online and the usual story mode, there’s been little info that I’ve absorbed other than there’s an “invasions” mode. I don’t really know what that means. Will there be a krypt again to unlock stuff in? Rotating towers of time to do? Gear and customization of any kind?

All I’ve really been shown is the tag assist stuff which I personally don’t enjoy, and a roster that’s very strange with guest characters I couldn’t care less about. Maybe that stuff is a personal issue, but.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

man nurse posted:

It’s less that and more “I don’t really know what to expect the game to be like”. Besides online and the usual story mode, there’s been little info that I’ve absorbed other than there’s an “invasions” mode. I don’t really know what that means. Will there be a krypt again to unlock stuff in? Rotating towers of time to do? Gear and customization of any kind?

All I’ve really been shown is the tag assist stuff which I personally don’t enjoy, and a roster that’s very strange with guest characters I couldn’t care less about. Maybe that stuff is a personal issue, but.

Oh I was just assuming the towers of time would be there. They've been a Netherrealm thing for a few games haven't they? I think even Injustice had them.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

man nurse posted:

There's tons of gameplay footage and stuff from the beta that shows what the core of the game will be like. I get worrying about what the other modes are, that makes sense, and I'm with you on the roster (no new characters and three guest characters I couldn't give less poo poo about). I just hate when a piece of media gets hyped up relentlessly and burns through any interest I might've had before it even comes out, so I kinda like just a couple trailers over the course of a few months.

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
kameo roster

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Somehow I'm not as stoked on that kameo roster as I thought I would have been.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Who is that below Kano?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Crowetron posted:

Same, it's some ridiculous brainworms even by Goon standards.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sockser posted:

Who is that below Kano?

Kung Lao

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sockser posted:

Who is that below Kano?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Isn't Kung Lao already a playable character? He's also a Kameo?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wait until you check out the two to the left of him.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://kotaku.com/megan-fox-will-kick-your-rear end-at-mortal-kombat-5302247

Apparently Megan Fox is a fan of the series which may be one reason they hired her.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Wait until you check out the two to the left of him.

I am not a clever man.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

TOOT BOOT posted:

https://kotaku.com/megan-fox-will-kick-your-rear end-at-mortal-kombat-5302247

Apparently Megan Fox is a fan of the series which may be one reason they hired her.

MK1 EVO champ Megan Fox

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Areola Grande posted:

kameo roster

Kung Lao here looks like he's got a cowboy hat on.

That, or I should yell at the Switch version for looking weird.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

MK1 EVO champ Megan Fox

I hope her handle is SonicMeganFox.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The towers of time is now the invasion mode im pretty sure as they have seasonal invasion content but i could be wrong they really do need to provide more information

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Megan Fox is leaps and bounds above Ronda Rousey when it comes to talent, but she still sticks out compared to the rest of the cast of actual voice actors. Had I not known it was her, I'd be like "Why does Nitara sound so weird?"

Also I think she would have been a much better D'Vorah.

Edit: Wait, are they actually referencing MK Conquest of all things with Kung Lao in this trailer? Holy poo poo.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 7, 2023

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jamesman posted:

Edit: Wait, are they actually referencing MK Conquest of all things with Kung Lao in this trailer? Holy poo poo.

I thought it was Jennifer's Body.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Areola Grande posted:

kameo roster

is there a missing dlc kameo fighter with the grey slot?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

I thought it was Jennifer's Body.

OK, that would make more sense. But his girlfriend's name WAS Jen in MKC, wasn't it?

Siro,Taja, and Vorpax DLC when, NetherRealm?

KungFu Grip posted:

is there a missing dlc kameo fighter with the grey slot?

It seems the five characters that are shown as "locked" would be the 5 characters you get for buying the Super Ultra Special Deluxe version, so that slot could be an unlock or a placeholder for future DLC, or just Random. It's also there on the main roster selection screen.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Jamesman posted:

It seems the five characters that are shown as "locked" would be the 5 characters you get for buying the Super Ultra Special Deluxe version, so that slot could be an unlock or a placeholder for future DLC, or just Random. It's also there on the main roster selection screen.

The premium edition just gets you the DLC, and Shang Tsung is the preorder bonus for anyone.

There's just locked characters you get from the story mode, and 1 fighter and 1 kameo that are a secret unlock, it seems

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Someone posted a video earlier in the thread about Invasions mode, it looks awesome. Edit: sorry the guy who posted this video is the one who made it, I should clarify.

https://youtu.be/AqeLWlISByk?si=_ezkzzspVw-6PeVv

Here another one since that official invasions trailer isn’t on YouTube for some reason?

https://youtu.be/NBPbwWOoIrY?si=-oFaLgtCmweU4sXT

They have been posting on social media literally every day with info about kharacters/kameos/stages. There have been Kombat Kasts and tons of trailers. I have been seeing stuff on IG and Facebook, plus Ed Boon’s shitposts on Twitter. I’m not sure how much more they could be doing.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
They didn't tell us everything and I'm writing Ed Boon and angry tweet about it now!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The premium edition just gets you the DLC, and Shang Tsung is the preorder bonus for anyone.

There's just locked characters you get from the story mode, and 1 fighter and 1 kameo that are a secret unlock, it seems

It says right at the end of every video they've put out that the Premium Edition includes 5 Kameo characters.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Jamesman posted:

It says right at the end of every video they've put out that the Premium Edition includes 5 Kameo characters.

Yeah that’s the first DLC pack

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Yeah that’s the first DLC pack

OK, I went and looked at the website to see how they break it down. In the videos, it lists the extras as "Kombat Pack" and "5 New Kameo Characters" which makes it seem like they're separate from the DLC. Looking at the website, it says "6 New Playable Characters" instead of "Kombat Pack" so it's slightly more clear there.

(This is also how I learned that they want $110 for the loving thing holy poo poo.)

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Areola Grande posted:

kameo roster

Who is to the right of Darrius, and also who is below Darrius? I don't recognise either of them.

E: I am a dummy to the right of Darrius is probably Sareena.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sareena and Stryker.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whoa Val Kilmer with a funny hat.

I spent $92 on beer this past weekend but I'm thinking really hard of taking a gamble on this at full price, knowing I'll have to spend even more to get the rest of the characters later on. The marketing thing is pretty alarming.

While we're dunking on RR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlBbwyRtU9w

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Jerkface posted:

Not really feeling these celebrity cameo voice overs. Either give me the people from the original movie or give me dedicated voice actors. "Playing Nitara took me to places in my mind, uncomfortable places, it made me feel more free and wild" no it didnt shut up!!
Anyways as a character she looks fine, now they need to do Reiko's reveal trailer. The marketing team should probably get on that.

I thought the Nitara trailer was cool but she's a new character to me since I have no memory of the 3D MK games where these are coming from. I did see comments though that her original design was more like a vampire pirate, with a hat and eye patch? I wish they had leaned into that more to make her look more distinct since a pirate vampire is a really fun concept for a character and is a refreshing change from all the ninjas.

Speaking of, the same place I read about Nitara's original design being like that also commented on Reiko as well, and are they another character confirmed for this game that we haven't seen the reveal trailer for yet? Or is their presence on the roster speculation? I hope they're weird.

Areola Grande posted:

kameo roster

I really wish they weren't using the old designs for Cyrax/Sektor/Kano/Sonya etc. and actually modernized them because they look like they're in the wrong game. It reminds me of Gran Turismo and the standard/premium cars thing where there were actual current gen cars and then a whole bunch copy & pasted from the PS2 games which stuck out and looked terrible. I enjoyed MK3 a lot back in the day and like Cyrax & Sektor a lot in particular but they look ridiculous appearing next to modern updated characters. The newer updated designs they had were perfect and I wish they'd stuck with them, same goes for the others as well. Motaro got a nice visual design upgrade that brought him on-par with the other characters so the whole thing seems messy and nonsensical to me, and also like it probably would have been easier to just re-use and slightly tweak/update the newer models than recreate those old ones that look silly now.

Not a dealbreaker and I've got the game preordered with the first DLC pack because it looks insanely fun to play but some of those kameos look so bad. Do we know if they'll get skins maybe?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I mean they look bad mostly because it's on the Switch and that it's just those derpy roster faces.

But on paper the base kameo list sounds dope and in action they look just as dope. It's just that all grouped together like that, I kind of just wish they'd dip more into their wierdos barrel.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SUNKOS posted:

I thought the Nitara trailer was cool but she's a new character to me since I have no memory of the 3D MK games where these are coming from. I did see comments though that her original design was more like a vampire pirate, with a hat and eye patch? I wish they had leaned into that more to make her look more distinct since a pirate vampire is a really fun concept for a character and is a refreshing change from all the ninjas.

Speaking of, the same place I read about Nitara's original design being like that also commented on Reiko as well, and are they another character confirmed for this game that we haven't seen the reveal trailer for yet? Or is their presence on the roster speculation? I hope they're weird.

I really wish they weren't using the old designs for Cyrax/Sektor/Kano/Sonya etc. and actually modernized them because they look like they're in the wrong game. It reminds me of Gran Turismo and the standard/premium cars thing where there were actual current gen cars and then a whole bunch copy & pasted from the PS2 games which stuck out and looked terrible. I enjoyed MK3 a lot back in the day and like Cyrax & Sektor a lot in particular but they look ridiculous appearing next to modern updated characters. The newer updated designs they had were perfect and I wish they'd stuck with them, same goes for the others as well. Motaro got a nice visual design upgrade that brought him on-par with the other characters so the whole thing seems messy and nonsensical to me, and also like it probably would have been easier to just re-use and slightly tweak/update the newer models than recreate those old ones that look silly now.

Not a dealbreaker and I've got the game preordered with the first DLC pack because it looks insanely fun to play but some of those kameos look so bad. Do we know if they'll get skins maybe?

Nitara's not actually pirated-themed, she's just wearing a whole bunch of random bullshit because they had zero idea what the gently caress they were doing during that era. One of her alts has kabuki makeup or something.

The basic theming with cameos is to keep them using classic designs, to make them immediately visually distinct from the playable characters but also because their appearance isn't supposed to be canon, with the conceit that they just got yanked out of some other timeline for this fight or whatever (except for Sareena who looks completely different 90% of the time?). They aren't direct cut/pastes, either.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's not just there but in trailers and footage of it on current gen consoles too, like when Sonya or Kano run on/off the screen it looks so silly to me. In the grand scheme of things though it's just nitpicking more than anything, not that big of a deal. I thought the updated cyborg ninjas looked awesome however so I miss that design a lot.

Definitely agree with wishing they'd dip more into their weirdos barrel though, they've demonstrated that they can create some really interesting and striking characters when they want to. I guess we'll have to wait for Mortal Kombat 2 for them to spice things up again. I imagine MK1 will probably just get a second Kombat pack before they move on, but maybe we might get an Aftermath-style expansion? Will be interesting to see how support for this game turns out considering the setting, and if there's some exciting new additions or mainly just integrating Kameos into playable characters.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nitara's not actually pirated-themed, she's just wearing a whole bunch of random bullshit because they had zero idea what the gently caress they were doing during that era. One of her alts has kabuki makeup or something.

The basic theming with cameos is to keep them using classic designs, to make them immediately visually distinct from the playable characters but also because their appearance isn't supposed to be canon, with the conceit that they just got yanked out of some other timeline for this fight or whatever (except for Sareena who looks completely different 90% of the time?). They aren't direct cut/pastes, either.

Oh I didn't know that regarding the theme behind the kameos but that makes a lot of sense and yeah, wanting that visual distinction is logical given your explanation. The cut/paste thing was poor wording on my part though, I wasn't suggesting that they are but more that I wish that they had basically done that (I know it's not that simple, but it's the easiest way to phrase it) since those characters had evolved really well over the years imo so it's very jarring to see them like this. What you said is understandable though.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 7, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

I really wish they weren't using the old designs for Cyrax/Sektor

You telling me its unreasonable for cybernetic beings to wear Lululemon full body suits under their armor?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Apparently Nitara is from a realm called Vaeternus. I guess in Deadly Alliance it had been merged with Outworld but they’re making it sound like now it’s totally separate? Liu Kang tried to keep the vampires out of Outworld and Nitara was like “lol no”

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Well, someone must have invited her in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Crowetron posted:

Well, someone must have invited her in!

It was clearly Liu Kang's* Fault.

*Shang Tsung but transformed into Liu Kang