Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Saul Kain posted:

Your son is way cooler than you are Vaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

Saul Kain posted:

Your son is way cooler than you are Vaha.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Vahakyla posted:

Thanks all for flying!

First off I want to publicly say one more time that Chevy 1 flight was Strike Eagles, and the pilot of Chevy 1-1 was my 13-year old son. He flew the whole thing, got the pickle on the general's bus, and bombed an artillery piece and a BMP on the airport apron. I took care of the radios and inputting waypoints as the backseater, and I searched for more targets on the TGP. Besides that, it was my son flying as flight lead, and wingmen report that he was easy to follow. Maintained altitude and separation, and did all sorts of pilot stuff. He's been practicing basic flying in a Cessna in MSFS, flown a bit as RIO in the F-14, and now he's started practicing F-15E as the pilot. He did loving awesome, and goddamn is it so school. Here's him flying, with appropriate privacy measures:

My son returning to Incirlik:

🫡 Chevy 1-1. That's cool as heck. Reminds me of when I was a wee child playing LHX Attack Helicopter with my dad, me on the stick and him on the keyboard. I was a lot younger and a lot less competent than your kid, though :)

quote:

Watching Jedi 2-2 drop a bomb on a BMP:

Oh hey! That's me :D

Thanks for running the show, it was good fun.

Also, by the way, I want to say that my kneeboard was absolutely worth the $10 or so it cost to put together, even with a VR headset, and I highly, highly recommend it. I think I probably did raise the headset off my eyes once or twice, but I don't really remember. Having the frequencies and space for notes was super useful and reassuring. I even got a little bit of 9 3 line CAS happening. Felt good to have written down details in the official place for those details, too.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 27, 2023

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I'm Trash and this is my story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-1z5Ql98gA

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is that so?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

We know

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mission upcoming this weekend!

Want to fly? You're in! We can/will provide training.

Want to do Air Traffic Control, JTAC, or ABM? Great! Let us know!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Hello. I am in no way ready for a mission but I am having a great deal of fun banging my head against the wall with the VSN F4 mod while also figuring out how DCS works in general. I found a generic intercept mission for that plane that I keep dying in because I have no way to quickly look around at the moment and the flight model for this plane is a real pain in the rear end. What's the consensus in this thread for VR vs trackIR? I have a pretty drat beefy tower so being able to support it isn't something I'm worried about it.

As new poster tax, have a short clip of me realizing that sidewinders will also track friendlies. Whoops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqJMQSy-MB0

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Unless you have certain eyeglass or inner ear issues, TIR doesn’t really hold a candle to VR.

I think Reverb G2 is still the gold standard for headset.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Unless you have certain eyeglass or inner ear issues, TIR doesn’t really hold a candle to VR.

I will say the opposite: unless you have a major need for VR for some reason, a large monitor and trackIR is better.

- the resolution is better
- the performance is better
- it's cheaper
- you don't have to wear something over your face
- you can still use your mouse to click on things
- you can still use your keyboard
- you can still look around your room
- you can still alt-tab and use your computer like normal
- you don't look like (as big of) a dork

I suppose you have to train yourself to look around properly since it's not a 1:1 mapping, but it really doesn't take long and it feels totally natural to me. You also don't get the depth perception effect, which does make it easier to land and to do aerial refueling, but it certainly isn't impossible to do either one of those things without it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ill never play a flight sim without VR again. Been flying on and off since MSFS 1

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

I will say the opposite: unless you have a major need for VR for some reason, a large monitor and trackIR is better.

- the resolution is better
- the performance is better
- it's cheaper
- you don't have to wear something over your face
- you can still use your mouse to click on things
- you can still use your keyboard
- you can still look around your room
- you can still alt-tab and use your computer like normal
- you don't look like (as big of) a dork

I suppose you have to train yourself to look around properly since it's not a 1:1 mapping, but it really doesn't take long and it feels totally natural to me. You also don't get the depth perception effect, which does make it easier to land and to do aerial refueling, but it certainly isn't impossible to do either one of those things without it.

Hard disagree; I've been using VR since the bad old days of the OG Vive where you had to zoom to read the gauges and struggled to hit 30fps, and I'd still go back to that over flat screen. There's no replacement for the illusion of feeling like you're actually *there*.

You can still use your keyboard and mouse, and the G2 is higher resolution than a 4k monitor, nevermind any of the other crazy newer poo poo out there. If you're worried about looking like a dork you're in the wrong hobby.

That said, the price/performance issue is real, and while it's not as bad as it used to be the ticket to this ride is not cheap and YMMV whether it's worth it to you.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Admiral Bosch posted:

Hello. I am in no way ready for a mission but I am having a great deal of fun banging my head against the wall with the VSN F4 mod while also figuring out how DCS works in general. I found a generic intercept mission for that plane that I keep dying in because I have no way to quickly look around at the moment and the flight model for this plane is a real pain in the rear end. What's the consensus in this thread for VR vs trackIR? I have a pretty drat beefy tower so being able to support it isn't something I'm worried about it.

As new poster tax, have a short clip of me realizing that sidewinders will also track friendlies. Whoops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqJMQSy-MB0

Anyone's going to tell you to go VR if you have the machine and funds to do it, but as a non-VR haver I can tell you that you at least need TrackIR and that goes with any and all flight games.

Once you have head tracking you can't go back.

The game works perfectly with TrackIR fwiw right out of the box.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
trackir is a bit expensive to just buy in, but you can get DIY headtracking poo poo for like $30 online that works perfectly ok, you just need a webcam with removed ir filter (which is usually also like $30)

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
Honestly, before you even invest in TrackIR let alone VR, try out opentrack plus a webcam or spare iphone or whatever you have lying around. It's free (or like :10bux: if you don't have a webcam and use a face-tracking iphone app like I do), and I find it works very well. It's an absolutely massive upgrade compared to manually looking around with the mouse. Granted, I haven't tried TrackIR or VR myself, but opentrack works so well I haven't really even considered the fancier options anymore.

e: It works for me with just the camera on my old iphone - no need to remove IR filters or wear anything goofy on your head, it's completely camera-based face tracking. It at least works well for my environment, which is reasonably well-lit and not staring directly into the sun or anything that might throw things off.

FPS_Sage fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 6, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Okay, I know you said "lying around" and you guys make great points about other options, however keep in mind you are missing the fact for one of those options your original buy in is a spare $700 phone or a halfway decent webcam that has an okay refresh/update rate. The webcam is the cheapest option of course by probably 50% or more vs. TrackIR, but the nice thing about TrackIR is that is requires almost no system resources to run, doesn't come with some bloatware, is out of the box ready with tons of games, has a lot of customization for all of your games, and doesn't require any hardware upgrades either.

It's a perfectly viable solution and definitely a cheaper alternative than VR in all aspects.

The only thing that is inconvenient is if you use the TrackClipPro then you really need to use a headset (the regular TrackClip is mounted on a ballcap) and it just adds another wire going along your lap. You are probably already using a headset, but still. I don't like the wire and that's why I use a wireless headset :colbert:.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 6, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Maybe leave like 30 bucks aside for a grassmonkey puck but yeah, the TrackIR receiver is worth it just because there's less tweaking you need to do before you get into the real tweaking, which is tuning the curves to behave in a way you can use and to get around deadzones.

Edit: The puck is now 45 bucks and is listed as not compatible with TrackIR??

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 6, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not DCS but this unexpected body horror out of Star Wars: Squadrons with TrackIR cracked me up so hard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
VR, especially if you like dcs at high resolution.

Without labels in flat, you will struggle to spot an aircraft / ground target that isn’t on your sensors. And that’s range dependent too, with stuff just coming into bvr distance effectively disappearing.

In vr, it’s easy to spot stuff, and it gets easier the closer you get.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I would also be careful about diving into VR without at least first toying with it (if you can) because it can make you dizzy as gently caress. It is definitely a jarring experience at first. Some people never can adjust.

By the way I am a huge proponent of VR, but if you are like me, the you can’t justify upgrading the machine with about $700 worth if a CPU and GPU upgrade, let alone a $500 headset.

I want VR, but can 100% recommend TrackIR from extensive experience with it.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 6, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I use my mouse generally

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I use a TrackclipPro but don't like using a headset as my speakers+sub are really fuckin nice. So I bought a fancier hardhat suspension like this and just clipped it to that. It's got an integral sweat band so it never gets slippery or sweaty, and I don't need to wear headphones to use it. I hate wearing hats so it's way better than the default reflective ballcap mounted Trackclip for me.

I've used TrackIR since 2011 for Arma and flight simulators, and it's honestly non-negotiable if you don't have the desire or budget for VR. Personally I'm still waiting for VR to develop more and for costs to come down before I buy-in to it, and don't feel like I'm missing too much with a big monitor and the TIR

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Head tracking I would say is optional for MFS. It certainly is helpful when you're digging around panels but oftentimes I just don't turn it on and use the Ctrl-number shortcuts, especially if I have to manipulate a CDU and keep my head in a weird position for an extended period.

DCS though it's practically mandatory because of all the head-down poo poo you have to do in that game. IL-2 it's not critical, but headtracking in a dogfight is a force multiplier.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Open Track has a really nice lil face tracking feature that I found good. Totally free to, doesnt require a Delan clip or Track IR

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Open Track has a really nice lil face tracking feature that I found good. Totally free to, doesnt require a Delan clip or Track IR

Yeah it works very well for MSFS. Might be a bit sluggish for the most intense dogfighting but it’s awesome for a free app and works with my lovely 10 yr old webcam

FPS_Sage
Oct 25, 2007

This was a triumph
Gun Saliva
Yep exactly, since it's free, I recommend people try that first with what lovely old webcam or phone they have lying around. If it doesn't work out, then spend the money to try something else. But free is free and I'm glad I put the money I would've spent on TrackIR into a better joystick and throttle instead.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Also, even if you have and do VR, having an alternate backup option for messing around is super handy.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I still use opentrack with my PSEye camera and a home made wireless track clip for Arma and other games like it that don't support VR.

If it has VR though, guaranteed I'll be doing that

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
In VR you have to hit some button or something to look through a camera at your cat or figure out what the weather looks like out the window. Not worth it yet.

Otoh, VR makes aircraft megahuge due to low res so spotting in air combat is a lot easier. Sometimes VR players in my same multiseat aircraft can clearly see aircraft that are almost impossibly small in high res.

I call this “cheater VR” but I’m not willing to pay for all the cheat peripherals to cheat myself.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

Dandywalken posted:

oh yeah ?!?!?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also while sometimes it's hard to see things on a flatscreen, it looks nice.

screencap from a VR user:

Make big for see

Screencap from a flatscreen, even with detuned settings to make it a little easier to spot aircraft.

One downside of using TrackIR is that VR users will ask you to take screenshots so they have high res pictures of the mission later. Just comes with the territory though.

The other downside is that if you're a big gearhead who loves to always be buying different RAM or GPUs or new models of headsets or something to get your video processing to work, you won't have a great reason to buy those things as often with TrackIR, since you could end up using the same system for years on end with little or no issue.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
"Hey, the DCS thread has some traction today! Someone must've mentioned VR."

"Yep, someone mentioned VR."

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

mlmp08 posted:

I call this “cheater VR” but I’m not willing to pay for all the cheat peripherals to cheat myself.

Absolutely true, and it’s really hard to go back to flat after you can spot like you’re playing il2 1945.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I mean the real answer is to each their own, but for anyone who has barely started to fly, I would not jump into VR without fiddling with options that are significantly cheaper, take way less setup, and generally are easier to get into or get out of a game on a whim.

Someone keeps trying to get me to buy into every single generation of VR for the last 10 years, but I have a retirement to save for.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

deadseedinside posted:

oh yeah ?!?!?

You got drat better believe it!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
DCS: Yep, someone mentioned VR

Imaginary Baron
Apr 14, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I mean the real answer is to each their own, but for anyone who has barely started to fly, I would not jump into VR without fiddling with options that are significantly cheaper, take way less setup, and generally are easier to get into or get out of a game on a whim.

Someone keeps trying to get me to buy into every single generation of VR for the last 10 years, but I have a retirement to save for.

Vr simming is actually at a really annoying place right now and I’m not certain it’s the best time to buy in if you aren’t already invested. The G2 is deservedly the consensus pick for best dcs headset; and yet it’s coming on three years old and is unsupported by its manufacturer who has laid off their VR team. It has bad controller tracking (admittedly not an issue for dcs) and a flimsy yet expensive to replace cable which also has issues with some AMD systems that were never fixed. And yet nothing better has come along in a consumer priced headset.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I reckon my Index was some of the best money I ever spent. Absolutely no regrets

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i bought a pico 4 recently and it's needs-suiting at 2160x2160 per eye, insanely good for the 400e price really

don't really play dcs anymore (don't think it even works on a linux?) but for il-2 it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I bought my G2 for $300 on a regularly occurring sale and had a $90 cable replacement after 2 years. In the 3 years ive had it video cards alone went from like 400 to over $1000. VR is expensive but relative to the rest of computer hardware, or sim controller stuff not really.

Still agree with starting with free head tracking and an ancient webcam though.