Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Ancient Gear is literally perfectly playable today as a rogue deck that steals wins via Chaos Giant/Megaton Golem turbo. It's actually stronger than ever on Master Duel because Verte Anaconda is playable.

You can make a hyper consistent Ancient Gear deck that makes Megaton+Chaos Giant on any hand through a reasonable amount of disruption if you know what you're doing with the deck.

Also the anime decks were never playable outside Arc-V and VRAINS. Which are notable for being the first time any anime deck at all was actually top of the meta whilst the anime was going. Some anime cards were playable, but the decks were never.

Also, also I can definitely imagine several of the top decks being interesting to see in the anime because the game has never really played like the anime, but the recent top decks are very much the sort of back and forth the anime tries to present as the real way the game is played, when they're playing against eachother.

Tear 0 was miserable, but a Tear vs Tear anime episode would be cool to watch because tear vs tear is some of the most complex interactive gameplay yugioh has ever had.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The very first deck that caused all the bans was exodia turbo. Which was literally solitaire lol. That's the DM meta out the gate. They had to errata lastwill, sangan and witch afterwards too.

then from there you had yata lock until chaos came out

Kild fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 7, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also the anime decks were never playable outside Arc-V and VRAINS. Which are notable for being the first time any anime deck at all was actually top of the meta whilst the anime was going. Some anime cards were playable, but the decks were never.

D-Hero variants say hi.

Also.

Y'know...

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Someone traded an old yugioh deck to our local game store and i bought a bunch of the cards. All the spell cards were the old magic cards before they had to start calling them spells. Someone's well loved mid 2000's deck featuring injection fairy lily, messenger of peace, premature burial, etc.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bring back graceful charity and pre-errata wotbf/sangan im sure that won't break anything imo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reaper format is also good Yu-Gi-Oh

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vandar posted:

D-Hero variants say hi.

Also.

Y'know...

I think 'with long-later legacy support' anime decks are fundamentally a very different conversation. From what I've gathered, the way things tend to shake out is...

Protagonist's deck at release (post-GX): Ace monster has good generic sauce and is generally worth the extra deck space; everything else kinda sucks.

Protagonist's deck in present day: Solid rogue contender, probably has less power than you think by itself.

Sidekick's deck at release: Either absolute garbage not worth bothering with, or the actual meta threat of the era. There is no in between.

Rival's deck at release: As a cohesive deck probably better than the protagonist, but still not very good, and lacks the generic power player.

Sidekick's/rival's deck in present day: They've stayed the course, whatever course that is; the bad hasn't become good and the good hasn't become bad. Might have gotten semi-generic support that's required some banlist activity, though.

ThIs Anime Series' Local Girl's deck: Never competitive, but they've got one card that winds up somewhere on the banlist much later on because they happen to synergize way too well with a particular, entirely unrelated archetype.

Arc villain's deck: Hot, unplayable garbage no matter when you look. Never viable, but people keep trying because even at their worst they look like fun gimmicks.

Villains of the week go all over the shop and can't be accurately summarized, but trend towards the lower end.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 7, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

...I'm not sure what any of that has to do with my post, but...sure.

A lot of that isn't accurate at all, though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
remembering when the guy from Zexal literally had Shock Master in his extra deck and never once used it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vandar posted:

D-Hero variants say hi.

Also.

Y'know...

I said whilst the anime was going, but also if D-Hero were playable when GX was happening and I honestly forgot Blackwing was playable when it first showed because it still got absolute busted out the rear end support long after 5Ds ended.

Mostly my point was that it wasn't until recently that a vast majority of anime original decks were good and playable out the gate using only the actual cards from the anime, the ones that became playable later on did so due to getting legacy support for the most part.

Also VRAINS has the special note that yeah the anime decks were playable, but Cyberse Pile took forever to get good whilst Trickstar and Gouki were 100% good to go from the start and required the anime characters to play badly (as professional successful duelists) not to utterly stomp all over everyone else.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

remembering when the guy from Zexal literally had Shock Master in his extra deck and never once used it

Yeah, that's another thing; you'll see a card that in real life is just absurdly powerful, but it'll turn up like, once or twice and not show how dangerous it is. Kaiba had Chaos Emperor Dragon right in its heyday, guess how much he did with that.

Vandar posted:

...I'm not sure what any of that has to do with my post, but...sure.

A lot of that isn't accurate at all, though.

I mainly just went on a tangent when going 'okay Destiny HERO's good now but wasn't really good then, and Blackwing's just a whole thing' and then I just went on a tangent with separate thoughts I had about protagonist ace monsters, Ancient Fairy Dragon, Timelords, stuff like that.

I admit I don't have a full view on these sorts of things, though. I definitely underestimated the VRAINS guy's deck outside of Firewall Dragon, I think the worst slip-up might be that I just checked Zexal's main antagonist and gently caress, that guy had Numeron?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

I said whilst the anime was going, but also if D-Hero were playable when GX was happening and I honestly forgot Blackwing was playable when it first showed because it still got absolute busted out the rear end support long after 5Ds ended.

D-Hero variants were playable during GX and Blackwings being busted as poo poo during 5D's is part of why Crow ended up getting such a harder push.

Cleretic posted:

I admit I don't have a full view on these sorts of things, though. I definitely underestimated the VRAINS guy's deck outside of Firewall Dragon, I think the worst slip-up might be that I just checked Zexal's main antagonist and gently caress, that guy had Numeron?

Yeah, all the Numeron stuff was used by the final boss of Zexal lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Some guy in ARCV also ran fluffal/frightfur which seems to top a few random events every year

probably better in formats where Verte is legal too

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
DDT and Disk Commander Reborn Spam weren't really D-Hero variants as much as Busted Spell Turbo.

Fluffal is still good to this day, it's one of those decks that just occasionally will take a top slot or tourney out of nowhere because it's got lines and lines and a good pilot can make it sing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Some guy in ARCV also ran fluffal/frightfur which seems to top a few random events every year

probably better in formats where Verte is legal too

I'm pretty sure Fluffal/Frightfur is in fact an archetype that got saved by legacy support. Not that it was necessarily bad, but a lot of what it used to top events were post-anime I feel.

But also in general when I talk about "archetype/anime" decks being good or bad I am thinking of them actually playing to their own style/win condition, not being used as an engine/support for a busted out of archetype card suite. But that's highly subjective anyway.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
was pure raidraptor any good?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's like the one Arc-V deck that I'm still shocked never had any real spotlight in the meta.

They gave the deck constant, unending support, most of it pretty fuckin' powerful, and it just never really did anything.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

when you remember that arc-v era started with shaddoll & BA and ended with true king & zoodiac it becomes pretty clear why the admittedly quite well-designed anime decks had an uphill battle

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skeleton Mom posted:

when you remember that arc-v era started with shaddoll & BA and ended with true king & zoodiac it becomes pretty clear why the admittedly quite well-designed anime decks had an uphill battle

Nearly every single notable Arc-V deck has seen at least *some* meta playing, whether during the show itself aired or afterwards.

Raidraptors just never did anything.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
New selection pack:

New secret pack:

New temporary login mission:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

D-Hero was a powerful engine to slot into things, especially if you were cheating lucky enough to get Destiny Draw and Mali in your hand on a regular basis.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Raidraptors always felt to me like it was missing the connective tissue. Not the starters or the enders, but like it didn't actually have a built-in plan for getting from those starters to Ultimate Falcon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i was wondering because ultimate falcon is one of those classic "waking the dragon" targets but ive not heard much about raidraptors other than that

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The one time I played a deck with Ultimate Falcon, it was a degenerate Igknight spam thing. The idea was you used their self destruct effects to turbo through and get a 5 monster pendulum summon, make Force Strix to fetch Last Strix, make M-X Saber Invoker to summon Big Belly Knight, use BBK to make King of the Feral Imps, use that to fetch The Tyrant Neptune, BBK's detach effect summons Last Strix from hand, you tribute Last Strix to cheat out Ultimate Falcon, tribute it and King to summon The Tyrant Neptune and sit on your 5800 ATK effect immune rear end in a top hat.

I pulled that off turn 1 in my first game with it, and then the other player just went around it and killed me with the Red Eyes Flare Metal Dragon/Beelze of the Diabolic Dragons loop. And now it probably wouldn't work because of Link rules.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I just had a ten turn grind game playing Floo against my opponent's Runick, where for the first time in several months of playing that deck, the Extra Deck was actually relevant. I ended up making Lyrilusc - Assembled Nightingale for a death by thousand cuts grind game. The real MVP was D.D. Crow, repeatedly keeping my opponent off of draws from their Runick Fountain.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
New datamined leaks: https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/news/september-07-2023/master-duel-datamines

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

quote:

Monster Type Festival: King of the Island: Decks can only include Beast-Warrior, Beast, Winged Beast, Insect, and Reptile-Type monsters. You can choose to include cards of only one Type, or mix and match all Types.
Not including Dinosaurs is an offense against me specifically.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who played Beasts and Beast Warriors in Duelist Kingdom? And no Zombies?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I think it’s supposed to be the Danger! and Kaiju island, not Duelist Kingdom.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Well I feel stupid now for dusting my old Tri-Brigade deck.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
#LyriluscSweep

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, I'll take any excuse to play Ancient Warriors.

I hate that they keep bringing back the XYZ Festival, but I'll enjoy ripping Drident and Zeus out of my opponent's extra deck.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
You guys can all play whatever you want, we all know that it's REALLY the day of DNA Surgery Parasite Paracide Turbo.

EDIT: Actually I might be kidding less than I think, because Maxx C. is legal in an Insect-themed event while Ash Blossom wouldn't be, and forcing someone to Maxx C. themselves into your Parasite Paracide is loving hilarious.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 8, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bring back the three day event featuring all gamble cards

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The gamble event was fun and could be all month tbh.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Sadly, unless someone has a fun looking N/R deck for the event, I think all I’ve got ready is a half baked Scareclaw deck.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I'm glad they put mikanko in. Been playing it at locals, it's a great deck that people hate to see across from them, which is ironic if theyre playing kash. like, cmon bro.. can't be complaining about other decks when u play kash. It's basically full power in master duel, just missing spiritwalk but otherwise it has everything it needs. Purrely is at insane power since all the quickplay spells are unlimited though, good god

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy

Ardeem posted:

Sadly, unless someone has a fun looking N/R deck for the event, I think all I’ve got ready is a half baked Scareclaw deck.

Giant Ballpark is a pretty cheap Beatdown deck where all the required cards are N/R. N/R Insects also make for a fairly competent Control strategy, too.

Hizke posted:

I'm glad they put mikanko in. Been playing it at locals, it's a great deck that people hate to see across from them, which is ironic if theyre playing kash. like, cmon bro.. can't be complaining about other decks when u play kash. It's basically full power in master duel, just missing spiritwalk but otherwise it has everything it needs. Purrely is at insane power since all the quickplay spells are unlimited though, good god

Mikanko is a fun-looking deck. Wish I didn't scrap my Double-Edged Sword, haha. Also played Purrely for the first time. I was on a jank Level 5 Warrior deck and they made me go first, so I ended on Isolde, Masq and Machinex who ate 2 of the Light Purrely and linked away their Plump with Masq when they started making their Tower. But they went through all 3 copies of Purrely in a single turn even through Ash and would've plus'd if I couldn't keep removing their monster. Man, I don't want to play Droll for this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I've now really started thinking about the most ridiculous deck I could play in that future festival, and I'm landing on some form of "C" deck. I want to use most/all of the "C" cards, mainly to see if I can cause ragequits by pure density of hand traps.

What's a deck that can actually use that, though? Even if it's ultimately a dumb gimmick, what's a deck that can do something with a stack of Earth Insects constantly getting special summoned or discarded from the hand? The cockroaches aren't exactly an archetype with a win condition by themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
If you actually want to use all the "C"'s including Shiny Black and Black Iron, there's Ballpark.

If you specifically want to search the bugs, Beetrooper/some variety of insect pile is obvious. Everything in the deck is searchable between Resonance Insect, Retaliating "C" and Gokipole and the engine loops those cards back into your deck. Insects also just have a lot of monsters that are nuisances like Parasite Paranoid, Scary Moth and Number 2: Ninja Shadow Mosquito to name a few.

If your end goal is to just play the most handtraps you can and still have engine, you might be better off with Zoodiac.