Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ironhead posted:

Man this just reminds me of how many toys had consumables. Like the creepy crawlers oven thing, and I had some mad scientist lab thing? But you could eat the experiments that came out of it?

I vaguely recall getting a few things like that, and then either not being able to get more refills or my parents refusing to buy them. And ofcourse you got the occasional Aunt or something who bought you the refill without the base toy needed.

Dr Dreadful, I remember wanting one so bad and then I got it from the Great Pumpkin one year and god drat were all the drinks foul

Edit: https://youtu.be/P3_3iHYKXAY?si=QdcnDNljFg0ZBgua

Len has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
This could probably go in the 2000s thread as well, but the Smash Mouth guy is dying :smith:

https://www.tmz.com/2023/09/03/smash-mouth-steve-harwell-death-bed-days-to-live

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

dialhforhero posted:

People turned on Gwen Stefani, iirc, not No Doubt.

Her…artistic choices and solo career were, uh, not the best.

She may have married that dorky dime a dozen country singer and made the ill advised decision to start wearing a bindi for a while, but other than that I don't think she deserves the hate. Her first solo album has some bangers.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

emSparkly posted:

She may have married that dorky dime a dozen country singer and made the ill advised decision to start wearing a bindi for a while, but other than that I don't think she deserves the hate. Her first solo album has some bangers.

For some reason I had it in my head that she was the one that cheated on Gavin Rossdale but it's actually the opposite.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

emSparkly posted:

I like her music but she deserves every ounce of hate

https://www.allure.com/story/gwen-stefani-japanese-harajuku-lovers-interview

quote:

But I also included a question about what she felt she may have learned from Harajuku Lovers — considering its praise, backlash, and everything in between. She responded by telling me a story she’s shared with the press before about her father’s job at Yamaha, which had him traveling between their home in California and Japan for 18 years.

"That was my Japanese influence and that was a culture that was so rich with tradition, yet so futuristic [with] so much attention to art and detail and discipline and it was fascinating to me," she said, explaining how her father (who is Italian American) would return with stories of street performers cosplaying as Elvis and stylish women with colorful hair. Then, as an adult, she was able to travel to Harajuku to see them herself. "I said, 'My God, I'm Japanese and I didn't know it.'" As those words seemed to hang in the air between us, she continued, "I am, you know." She then explained that there is "innocence" to her relationship with Japanese culture, referring to herself as a "super fan."

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Ugh, weeaboos amirite?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

emSparkly posted:

Ugh, weeaboos amirite?

The whitest girl in the world in a published interview telling an Asian American that she, the white girl, is actually Japanese is a significant bit more than being really into anime.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Grassy Knowles posted:

The whitest girl in the world in a published interview telling an Asian American that she, the white girl, is actually Japanese is a significant bit more than being really into anime.

Well yeah to be serious about it I am aware that's really loving dumb and racist. I'd also never seen this interview until today and I am saddened she's learned nothing about the concept of cultural appropriation over the last 30 or so years.

emSparkly has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Sep 4, 2023

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I guess you could say that poo poo is bananas.
B-A-N-A-N-A-S

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Beastie posted:

For some reason I had it in my head that she was the one that cheated on Gavin Rossdale but it's actually the opposite.

probably because there’s an implied hierarchy where she’s Gwen Stefani, multiplatinum pop star and TV show host, and he’s just that guy from that 90s band that had like two hits making Foo Fighters music in the gap between Kurt Cobain dying and Dave Grohl starting Foo Fighters

although Spotify tells me that Bush is very popular in 2023 and getting tens-to-hundreds of millions of plays across most of their catalog so

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think they both cheated on eachother. That's what I'd always heard anyway.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I always imagined that he's a douche and she's insufferable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Music industry stars are awful people and sleep around on each other until it's no longer worth pretending they're a unit. As the world turns.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fire + Ice restaurant interiors from the Boston area, circa 1998-2001

Gonz has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Sep 25, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Bizarre seeing prepandemic restaurants and how close together the seats are

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I love it when interior decor could give an epileptic an episode

Maybe this was a spillover 80s thing but an electronic toy I always saw at Walmart but never got to own were these little driving games that I think used a motor to scroll a bit of paper in a loop had that a track printed on it and a little control that moved a car left and right at the front of the display. The track was angled like fzero and it did some kind of electronic magic to play horrific screeching white noise if you moved the car outside the track.

I don't THINK it was a Tomy Racing Turbo, the whole setup seemed smaller and a whole lot cheaper than that

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Gonz posted:

I can see a dolphin in one, a sailboat in another, a flower in the other, but no matter how hard I squint I can’t see the image in the rest.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gonz posted:

It's like a 90s version of The Gobbler :stare:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
That's so bizarre. There's a restaurant near where I grew up called Fire and Ice, but it's a sort-of-almost fancy place. Like...eclectic, I guess is the word I want? But it's like "Pretend it's the 1930's" themed, not "have a seizure looking at the walls" themed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's so bizarre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2oC99e_xPY

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gonz posted:

Going to places like this as a kid with untreated ADHD was hell on wheels because you're overstimulated but you don't know you're overstimulated so you just either withdraw completely or start vibrating like a goblin and in both cases everyone hates you for it.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Gonz posted:

I've been to this (or a very close-by) Fire and Ice. It's all like super serious dark-brown minimalism now.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gonz posted:

gently caress yeah I would drink at the bar that looks like Beakman’s World.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Randomly remembered the movie Powder today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKPoTl39Nfc

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The director is a child molester.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Same pedophile as Jeepers Creepers iirc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gonz posted:

Boston, more like memphis

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Randomly remembered the movie Powder today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKPoTl39Nfc

Didn’t know there was a prequel to Prometheus.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dillbag posted:

The director is a child molester.

Who was and continues to be defended by Francis Ford Coppola with statements like "You have to remember, while this was a tragedy, that the difference in age between Victor and the boy was very small -- Victor was practically a child himself.”

The director was 29 and the victim was 12.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Some posts in the YOSPOS "tech things you just remembered" thread reminded me of Cigarette Vending machines. I kinda miss them, they were everywhere for a while when I was a kid up until indoor smoking bans. I kinda wanna get one and fill it up with dumb poo poo.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Neito posted:

Some posts in the YOSPOS "tech things you just remembered" thread reminded me of Cigarette Vending machines. I kinda miss them, they were everywhere for a while when I was a kid up until indoor smoking bans. I kinda wanna get one and fill it up with dumb poo poo.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art-o-mat I’ve always found these things dope

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Who was and continues to be defended by Francis Ford Coppola with statements like "You have to remember, while this was a tragedy, that the difference in age between Victor and the boy was very small -- Victor was practically a child himself.”

The director was 29 and the victim was 12.

Well, Coppola and George Lucas are/were great big buddies and let me tell you about the original origin story of Marion Ravenwood and her relationship with Indiana Jones and the dialog that had to be fought over to remove.

What I'm saying is uh, I guess that tracks.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

Well, Coppola and George Lucas are/were great big buddies and let me tell you about the original origin story of Marion Ravenwood and her relationship with Indiana Jones and the dialog that had to be fought over to remove.

What I'm saying is uh, I guess that tracks.

Well that was news to me and uh I dont like Indiana Jones I think

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Neito posted:

when i was a kid i loved fuckin around with all those handles. love that tactile experience.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Neito posted:

Some divey bars around here still have them. You can't smoke indoors, but you can buy a pack of whatever to take onto the patio!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Gonz posted:

So bizzare to me that this chain lasted as long as it did when it was such always such a subpar restaurant compared to the all you can eat Mongolian stir fry place it ripped off down the street that was 20 bucks cheaper.

Nothing about this post in particular, just that I love your sphynx cat and that song is amazing :3:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

uber_stoat posted:

when i was a kid i loved fuckin around with all those handles. love that tactile experience.

Yup. I'd also buy one jsut to play with the knobs

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nothing about this post in particular, just that I love your sphynx cat and that song is amazing :3:

This was a really nice thing to wake up to.

Pretty sure she's one of the mascots of the cute thread at this point.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

dialhforhero posted:

I can see a dolphin in one, a sailboat in another, a flower in the other, but no matter how hard I squint I can’t see the image in the rest.

It’s not a sailboat, it’s a schooner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Microsoft Windows 95 Promo Exhibition in London (circa 1995); Designed By Innervisions Interiors & Exhibitions