Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
The achievements to get the skin for people who already have the skyscale are a lot more involved than I thought. Still less work than the OG skyscale but I’m mildly annoyed. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I'm mean, I'm gonna do the collection, but I don't want my skyscale to look icky

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
So I think a few other people are coming back to the game like me.

Holy poo poo you get 10 hero points for doing the expansion hero things, instead of just 1. I thought I was going to be awfully-built forever.

Kinda glad I didn't find this out until after I unlocked the skyscale, but wow this is a game-changer.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

CubicalSucrose posted:

So I think a few other people are coming back to the game like me.

Holy poo poo you get 10 hero points for doing the expansion hero things, instead of just 1. I thought I was going to be awfully-built forever.

Kinda glad I didn't find this out until after I unlocked the skyscale, but wow this is a game-changer.

Not sure where you are at as a returning player but:
There is a person who runs HP trains regularly through the three main HoT maps (VB-AB-TD), netting 330 hero points. It takes 20-25 minutes per map and all you need is raptor and basic glider. It’s great for returning players and alts. PoF can mostly be done solo and EoD can 100% be done solo. The HoT train is hands down the fastest if you can hop on it. After that I would go with whatever content you a.) own b.) have progressed the farthest c.) enjoy the most, as you’ll be running around a lot.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

kung fu jive posted:

Not sure where you are at as a returning player but:
There is a person who runs HP trains regularly through the three main HoT maps (VB-AB-TD), netting 330 hero points. It takes 20-25 minutes per map and all you need is raptor and basic glider. It’s great for returning players and alts. PoF can mostly be done solo and EoD can 100% be done solo. The HoT train is hands down the fastest if you can hop on it. After that I would go with whatever content you a.) own b.) have progressed the farthest c.) enjoy the most, as you’ll be running around a lot.

Uhh what is HP and how do I find the times

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Goon raids sound like fun tbh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

hero point, op

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

hero point, op

Oh, yeah I thought that was referring to the person that runs the thing.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

Oh, yeah I thought that was referring to the person that runs the thing.

And I just now got the non-pun reason why the goon character that led (leads?) hero point trains is named H P Lovetrain

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Recently returned to the game, having been inactive from before SotO was announced and until now.
The last thing i did was grind dungeon currency and buy 6 runes of sanctuary as well as grind a full set of Mist Shard armor boxes from Dragonfall (diviners stats)
I don’t remember why. Does anyone know why i would do this? I play rifle mechanist.

The sanctuary runes used to give a barrier with the 6 piece.
The mist shard armor increases buff duration, so i wanted these for increased uptime on might stacks?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
You can be a good alac dps as a rifle mech, which needs diviner gear

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

tarbrush posted:

You can be a good alac dps as a rifle mech, which needs diviner gear

This.

Personally, I still love Alac DPS Mech, even though it gets ignored, or it's considered boring. I think it's incredibly reliable. It's a great addition to any squad, a fantastic way to LEARN any squad content, and it has endless application for Open World.

Are you going to top the damage meter? In this patch, no, most likely not. But being able to blast everything from a huge distance, other useful boons, CC, and applying Alac easily in a gigantic 600 radius is good and cool.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 6, 2023

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Yeah, it's still very solid. Full Diviner's is a bit overkill for it, but should still play well.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

I don’t know specific times. There are multiple people who run hero point trains. Just open the LFG tool, select HoT, and check each of the three main maps. If there is a hero point train you will see it clearly advertised there. Join the squad and zone into the map. Good luck!

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

kung fu jive posted:

I don’t know specific times. There are multiple people who run hero point trains. Just open the LFG tool, select HoT, and check each of the three main maps. If there is a hero point train you will see it clearly advertised there. Join the squad and zone into the map. Good luck!

Cheers, yeah I asked in snow crows and they linked me to a couple of discords where they organize

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Ineptitude posted:

The sanctuary runes used to give a barrier with the 6 piece.

Unfortunately, they, along with a bunch of other niche runes I used to use (Lich, Vampirism) are a casualty of the new relic system.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I initially hated the new expansion but I've come around on it pretty hard. I actually think Skywatch is one of my favorite maps in the game now and I think it's entirely based on learning how to navigate it and unlocking the various masteries that aid this. I wish they did not gatekeep the map behind these things however.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

I don't have the masteries that enable mount use of updrafts or ley lines yet and I was able to 100% all the SotO maps without much difficulty. You'd probably need the wall launch from either the old or new skyscale mastery in order to get onto that one island high above and northwest of the starting zone on the first map, though. Having maxed out glider masteries doesn't hurt, but isn't essential.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The new zones just constantly have events firing off and I love it, and that's not even counting the possibility of endless rift farming. I fully recognize there's something broken in me that I find that fun though (I used to do mindless grinds for hours in WoW so).

With that being said though, am I understanding correctly that in order to do T2 and 3 rifts, you have to craft the item and then consume it to actually summon the boss? It seems like the only way it's worth it is if you have a sizeable group where everyone is contributing a few of them. I was in a train that was doing T3 rifts and we did quite a lot but afaik only the commander was contributing. They must have come out negative right? Or does that last mastery actually make it worth it?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Humerus posted:

The new zones just constantly have events firing off and I love it, and that's not even counting the possibility of endless rift farming. I fully recognize there's something broken in me that I find that fun though (I used to do mindless grinds for hours in WoW so).

With that being said though, am I understanding correctly that in order to do T2 and 3 rifts, you have to craft the item and then consume it to actually summon the boss? It seems like the only way it's worth it is if you have a sizeable group where everyone is contributing a few of them. I was in a train that was doing T3 rifts and we did quite a lot but afaik only the commander was contributing. They must have come out negative right? Or does that last mastery actually make it worth it?

yeah it seems to be designed as a BYOB sort of thing where multiple people share the burden to enrich everyone

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you build the T2 and T3 lures you can use them to track the rifts and just choose not to consume them for the bonus essence, which will let you continue to track without crafting up more.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
You can't activate the final event without consuming them though, right? So this only works if someone else is putting the item in.

Anyway, the crafted motivations can be traded and seem to still be dropping in price. I expect they'll get a lot more expensive when the new legendary armour is released though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure nobody else with me had the item, you just have the option after activating to toss it in for bonus essence.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I don't know how it works in detail, but I have been unable to activate a T3 rift without the item. T1s you just get bonus essence, but I'm like 95% sure T2 and T3 cannot be activated without one.

e: to be clear, I've been able to start the T3 pre-event without motivation, but couldn't actually open the rift after completing it.

..btt fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 6, 2023

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
So, having come out of just mainlining ALL the story poo poo, I'd say I definitely got my money's worth.

some notes:

* The lengths to which the personal story goes to say You're Special to the player gave me serious second-hand embarrassment. ...and confused me a bit because the writers were clearly more interested in telling a story about Treesus.

* Eir dying to give Braham the most annoying arc in the world was complete bullshit.

* I thought post-HoT LS S3 was the worst the game had on offer until Icebrood. Which I still have not finished. Not yet. I broke sequence and did the final strike mission when it was clear the narrative was not only really really really invested in a dinky charr dweeb, but in basically turning all of their main characters completely inside out. Jumped straight on to EOD and have not looked back.

I'm assuming that was a colossal failure of management because IDK who would look at those scripts and say 'yeah those are good' except some web3 beancounting nepotism hire that can't fathom the idea of saying 'hey on account of the virus thing we're gonna take a bit more time on this.'

* I'm withholding judgment on SOTO until more of it gets filled out, but you can really feel the writing team struggling to figure out what to do after EOD. The infodumps are more intense than usual and, in this case, entirely necessary since they have to establish a whole new arc from scratch. I like it, I just want to see more until I settle on something. The new areas are really cool, though, and it's fun to see Primal Meguuma after having so recently done all of HoT (+the friendly chak jumpscared me/had me keymashing attacks more than once)

Also I really-- do not like the Kryptis mob designs, even if I do really love the second map's big boss (as well as Cerus/Peitha). They look like the same web3 beancounter made some AI mulch, thought it was good (it never is), and forced it on some art directors.

IDK, maybe they'll grow on me, but they mostly just look like scribbly nonsense/visual noise, for lack of a better way of putting it. Especially when compared to a month+ of seeing all their cooler, generally less scattered designs.

EDIT: Also I forgot who said it but the map progression of HoT continues to stick out to me. Even with skyscale "cheats," Tangled Depths still gives a sense of being in way over my head, and in spite of doing all the other meta maps regularly, THAT one I reserve for when I'm feeling like being humbled. All in all, none of the expacs really matched HoT's tension and intensity; makes me wish Mordy had been the last major boss dragon of the pre-EOD roster/that HoT was EOD's lead-up. There's not many places you can heighten to from there.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 6, 2023

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
HoT’s the best-designed expansion bar none, but the initial obscene difficulty level ruined public perception of it forevermore.

SOTO’s probably the best-written expansion of Guild Wars 2, which is intended first as a condemnation of GW2’s writing and only second as actual praise to SOTO. The voice acted poo poo is boring as hell but all the discoverable writings are actually pretty interesting. The problem is ArenaNet can’t seem to escape the character-driven stories they’re absolutely garbage at telling. There’s still a massive, not remotely trivial chance they’ll spoil their newfound momentum by turning the whole thing into Zojja’s Personal Story. Just let the poor rat become a Wizard and pull a Kormir so we can finally delete all these lovely characters and their stupid problems for good.

boho fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 7, 2023

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, we have to have characters somewhere; the issue is that they're dedicated to operating the game in a way that doesn't allow for pacing, so we're speedrunning through a story so hard that I can't feel sad about anybody who dies because I didn't even have time to notice they were alive. And frankly, they are mostly alive, because there are only two new maps and he's still alive in one of them and gets a lot of voice lines.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
HoT was a great expansion that was mired by the mastery grinds being so intense and gatekeeping you from exploring and having plenty of "spend 20+ points so you can get that very last point of interest that won't be useful anywhere else", followed by a year of not a whole lot being added besides raids which gatekept the next story beats behind content that was too hard or too social for most of the playerbase to ever do themselves, especially since anet were allergic to doing a easier storymode until strikes were a thing followed by a dripfeed of probably the most filler story season they've done, emberbay was one of the points I just quit the game for awhile and judging by what came after in S3 I didn't miss much.

However Soto's story is going to end we all know that in the end the wizard tower is always going to be open and friendly to us and that the kryptis rifts are always going to be around, for the kryptis design it's just visual static as mentioned, everytime I see them I just find myself just identifying which animations they reused for them, "ok, that's the destroyer harpy animations, that's samarog, that's gorsavel, frog, mordrem, ect ect"

I just wish the design on the demons was half as visually interesting as the afflicted from gw1 17 years ago.
https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...=UPIVmALyxp2ABM

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
GW1’s Doppelgänger also gives me some Kryptis vibes.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The kryptis would be better if they were colored as flesh monsters and not just grey and white.

Like, a streamer unlocked the kryptis skyscale skin and dyed it to look fleshy and it looks waaaaay better.

Then again, I'm a sucker for gross enemies like gw1's Afflicted.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
If I'd played HOT at launch my appreciation of it would probably be near-non-existent. Like, the desert hates you and wants you dead, but at least you had the mounts to get around. The jungle just loving despises you, your little glider, and your silly frog masteries, and it will go out of its way to tell you about it in detail.

Needless to say I have not finished all the HoT mastery points. I know a couple people who did so around launch to finish out collections, and I can practically feel them looking at me sideways (and rightly so) every time I've said it's my favorite expac out of all of them to date.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

and judging by what came after in S3 I didn't miss much.

S3 suffered from being both narratively bad and visually awful. The Balthazar fight especially was so loving terrible that I just ate the loss of the mastery point and moved on to the next chapter without bothering to complete it. Just trying to see what to do in that mess was giving me an actual no-poo poo headache.

Also yea those Afflicted designs are-- a lot better.

Why, ANet. :( Why the scribbles.

boho posted:

The problem is ArenaNet can’t seem to escape the character-driven stories they’re absolutely garbage at telling.

It's ironic/telling that maybe the most fleshed out arc that exists in the narrative to date is Caithe's. I have a hard time believing that's anything but on accident, but it IS an arc, and it IS a complete one, in spite of their allergy to making any of their babies sit with the actual consequences of their actions. Which is mostly what ANet seems to be allergic to: they want the high drama of People Behaving Poorly, but can't seem to grasp that '--and now it's all better!' isn't the way you write yourself out of that.

Like, IDK, the two Inquest characters who probably shouldn't have become mains? There was all of zero reckoning with that, and hiding behind 'well one of them is autistic' does nothing to wipe that away. Gorrik is even still dressed like a little 1980s movie nazi well after being taken on as main cast.

Anyway I truly hope that we never see him again, and will be very happy if Ivan takes his place.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 7, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Brahm being a horrible whiny asshat for 3 seasons and then suddenly it’s all better because he said sorry is awful feeling. You as a commander should have told him to gently caress off.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Or a "he died doing a heroic sacrifice, let's take 5 minutes to remember the good times and be on our way" instead of recovering from growing 20 feet tall with fire for blood.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Old Boot posted:

Like, the desert hates you and wants you dead, but at least you had the mounts to get around. The jungle just loving despises you, your little glider, and your silly frog masteries, and it will go out of its way to tell you about it in detail.

This is the best way to describe HoT :allears:

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Every time I go into Dragon's Stand and hear the four NPCs say "Thanks" in unision to "Wow. That's quality armor", it warms my heart.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

"Wow. That's quality armor",

Thank you so much.

Take a look.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

More violets, I say. Less violence.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I killed demios.

Multiple times!

he's meant to be the better dude than whats his name it terms of battle.

Why did i need peithra when i demolised demios already....?

It should ahve been, Yo, i killed your brother, lets rock!!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
You needed ten people to take Deimos, whereas you only need two for whatsisface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

tarbrush posted:

You needed ten people to take Deimos, whereas you only need two for whatsisface

Ive been last man standing at demios ! and got the kill