Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

There's also a place called Wokingham, but nobody actually lives there. It's just a giant re-education centre for gammons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Weighing in on roast dinners. As I am English and my wife Irish there has been much debate on this. Mash AND roast is a must in Ireland, as is Turkey AND ham. I’m not sold on either. They go very big on stuffing. Lots of bread based stuffing is essential - home made, not Paxo. Yorkshire puddings are a British invention and generally shunned , although I have won my wife round to them with my homemade ones. I personally loathe cauliflower so we make Broccoli cheese with a proper bechamel and it’s a thing of beauty

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

How does your wife feel about a roast dinner in summer?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

TACD posted:

How does your wife feel about a roast dinner in summer?

We tend to have a moratorium on them from April to October , but the weather was so poo poo in July I think I ended up doing a couple

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

smellmycheese posted:

Yorkshire puddings are a British invention and generally shunned , although I have won my wife round to them with my homemade ones.

The first person to publish a recipe for Yorkshire puddings was an English woman who eloped with an Irish man, so you're in good company.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Scientastic posted:

The first person to publish a recipe for Yorkshire puddings was an English woman who eloped with an Irish man, so you're in good company.

I’ll need sources on this so I can annoy my wife with them

grobbo
May 29, 2014

escapegoat posted:

God Tier
Red Cabbage

I have gone my entire life firmly believing that red cabbage was invented by sinister pub-roast innovators to conceal how little actual food is on the plate, because surely no human being could actually want a giant heap of soggy mulch that stains everything beetroot in their roast

so you have very much shaken me to my core.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

smellmycheese posted:

Mash AND roast is a must in Ireland, as is Turkey AND ham.

Turkey and Ham not a thing in the UK?

And Yorkshire Puddings aren't shunned really, they never really took off.
No taste at all from them.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Fenian lies

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobstar posted:

There's also a place called Wokingham, but nobody actually lives there. It's just a giant re-education centre for gammons.

:golfclap:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

as is Turkey AND ham.

What, for every roast dinner? No roast beef or chicken? Turkey+ham I'd more think of for a particularly large Christmas dinner (or Thanksgiving ;p)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Ham certainly but (at home not a carvery) a roast is normally one meat. Turkey is definitely more Christmas specific.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

happyhippy posted:

This is just how life works. Every so often, you talk to an English person about something normal and you end up learning something Earth-shatteringly mad.

"Oh we don't do Ham and Turkey at the same time for dinners.
Why yes, sometimes we had to go into schools on Saturday, why do you ask?
Yes if someone is upset about something we describe it as 'Throwing a Paddy." Don't you do that too?

It'll never stop being surprising.

happyhippy posted:

I've always loved Yorkshire puddings, mostly as a side for Roast Beef dinners, and really it was so I could butter them, stuff them with beef and essentially make impromptu beef sandwiches for my dinner.
I only had those plate sized Yorkshire puds once or twice but they are a pretty cool thing.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

feedmegin posted:

What, for every roast dinner? No roast beef or chicken? Turkey+ham I'd more think of for a particularly large Christmas dinner (or Thanksgiving ;p)

No you can have other meats. But if you’re having turkey you have to have ham with it.

Edit : I mean this may sound trivial but there were major debates about this with my mother in law when my wife moved over to England for a while. She was horrified she wouldn’t get ham with her Xmas dinner. And let’s not get started on serving a prawn cocktail starter rather than vegetable soup

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 7, 2023

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

It'll never stop being surprising.

Yeah, its weird.
Next we'll find out they don't have whiskey days.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

We have a thing we do sometimes which we call a “cheat roast” where you fancy one but can’t be arsed with all the mess a proper roast makes. It consists of Stuffed chicken breasts from the butcher ( chx breast with stuffing inside and wrapped in bacon), aunt Bessie spuds , Bisto, and one green veg. Cheap and nasty - like snorting speed rather than decent cocaine, but hits the spot.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:britain: number 1 (24)

quote:

Britons least likely to say work is important to them, world study finds

According to a study of 24 countries, Britons are less likely than people from elsewhere to place importance on work. Increasingly, they also no longer believe that hard work brings a better life.

x

Not surprising when racking up £25,000 of uni debt and working full time gets you a room in a house share with 7 other graduates.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
starter to a roast dinner is a slightly smaller roast dinner inside a plate sized yorkie pud, allowing for a swimming pools worth of gravy to be applied

grobbo
May 29, 2014

DesperateDan posted:

starter to a roast dinner is a slightly smaller roast dinner inside a plate sized yorkie pud, allowing for a swimming pools worth of gravy to be applied

My personal religious belief is that while a full roast dinner is a stately affair which includes all the trimmings, 'seconds' are their own separate meal with different rules, a carnivalesque act of anarchy where all decorum goes out the window and you just heap on meat, potatoes, Yorkshire and gravy like some sort of carb goblin.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Cauliflower cheese is AMAZING if done right. Gooey, extremely loving cheesy, with a hard, brunt top. There should be a certain springiness to the upper layer of cheese too which becomes a sort of boiling cream as you go down. Though the main point is lots of strong, mature cheese, and not too much cream. Like mostly cheese with cream just to ease things along a bit. I’ve been meaning to try it with bechamel actually.

Sweet potatoes on a roast is weird but I do absolutely love the things so okay.

Red cabbage is good if done right (if it’s tangy and pickled) but is defo a pub thing.

Mash has always been a thing, as well as roasties, in my family. Not too smooth but not lumpy. Goldilocks poo poo.

Carrots: awful steamed or boiled, good roasted. Likewise parsnips but turn awful into ‘decent’ and ‘good’ into ‘amazing’.

Brocolli: pretty much always good. One of only two green things that belong on a roast, but also absolutely essential.

Sprouts: divine however you cook them but roasted in halves they go the gently caress off. Easy to gently caress gently caress up this way but if you can get it juuuust right my lord. Only good thing about winter.

Peas/runner beans/cabbage/swede/turnip: awful poo poo for people who DO NOT deserve any respect. PEA EATERS ESPECIALLY. Don’t get me wrong I like all these things other than swede and turnip in other circumstances but if I see them on my roast plate I’m going to conspicuously not eat them.

Turkey? Ham??? Neither of these meats are roast suitable. The roast meats are: beef, lamb, pork, and chicken. Ham is served over here in pubs and it just looks so wrong… look at it, shimmering at you with its pink wetness. No, ham, you go back with the egg and chips and between bread where you belong. Or if you must be included on the day, you can become a hock and be eaten before anything else.

Turkey’s like chicken but not as nice and I don’t know why we eat it.

Mint is the best sauce. Don’t let anyone tell you jelly is an acceptable substitute or it only goes with lamb. It goes with everything.

I think that’s about it for my Roast Opinions. As you can tell I’m quite passionate about my roasts.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Surprised there is not more prison break chat. Classic move to hang underneath a lorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2FqMsB-fh0

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ok as we’re dug into this subject I’m gonna ask the Goonmind. I am a good cook, if I say so myself , I enjoy cooking, I can make lovely food of all types. But I cannot get PORK loving CRACKLING to work. I’ve tried everything - you name it. Blazing hot oven, salting, oiling, boiling water, drying, pan frying , every loving technique and it STILL DOESNT WORK.

DJT518T
Aug 4, 2010
Behead those who insult runner beans and or cauliflower cheese :chef:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jippa posted:

Surprised there is not more prison break chat. Classic move to hang underneath a lorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2FqMsB-fh0

Also - he’s absolutely a proper spy and is probably tucked up inside the embassy by now. James Bond poo poo and fair play to him.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

smellmycheese posted:

Ok as we’re dug into this subject I’m gonna ask the Goonmind. I am a good cook, if I say so myself , I enjoy cooking, I can make lovely food of all types. But I cannot get PORK loving CRACKLING to work. I’ve tried everything - you name it. Blazing hot oven, salting, oiling, boiling water, drying, pan frying , every loving technique and it STILL DOESNT WORK.

Same, except for this:
https://rasamalaysia.com/chinese-roast-pork/
which is loving heavenly (e: and seems to include every technique at once btw). Hit and miss using the technique on other cuts, and I skip the garlic for a roast.

Cauliflower cheese should be mostly an excuse to make a shitload of thick mustard and mature cheddar sauce and lightly season it with small lumps of soft cauliflower. Good with beef and pork, god tier with a big roast ham/gammon.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Scientastic posted:

there's a folk music version of an ed sheeran hit in here somewhere

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jakabite posted:

Turkey? Ham??? Neither of these meats are roast suitable. The roast meats are: beef, lamb, pork, and chicken. Ham is served over here in pubs and it just looks so wrong… look at it, shimmering at you with its pink wetness. No, ham, you go back with the egg and chips and between bread where you belong. Or if you must be included on the day, you can become a hock and be eaten before anything else.

Its the stuffing that is the key on making Turkey and Ham.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Chris Pincher has finally hosed off :toot:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you can have quorn

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Its the stuffing that is the key on making Turkey and Ham.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that stuffing is the best bit of any roast

Roast tier list:

Stuffing
Roast Pots done properly
York Pud
Meat cooked well and not grey poo poo
Proper gravy
Broccoli cheese
Roasted veg
Other veg done well and not boiled to poo poo - ie stir fry some green beans in garlic and butter

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 7, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’ve never had a good home made stuffing, to the point Paxo is my fave. Always too drat wet and there’s often SOME crunch but not enough by miles. If anyone has a good recipe please let me know.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Use panko as the base.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

Use panko as the base.

Noice

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jakabite posted:

I’ve never had a good home made stuffing, to the point Paxo is my fave. Always too drat wet and there’s often SOME crunch but not enough by miles. If anyone has a good recipe please let me know.

At Christmas time my wife makes gluten free stuffing (boo) but she spices it up with roast chestnuts and apricots. That's some good.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
A good turkey that doesn't end up getting dried out in the oven is a gorgeous roast that stands apart from chicken and gives you a little bit of everything at once (you get your moist white meat as the main, your crispy skin and dark meat as extra treats, and then when everything inevitably dries up in the fridge overnight you just dump it all into a creamy sauce and make a drat good pie the next day)

But the lows of a badly cooked turkey are in hell, and the UK has been collectively traumatised by too many Christmasses at your nan's house after she'd roasted it overnight at 200 degrees / too many Christmas parties eating thick slices of reheated lawn-turf, so I get why it's looked down upon.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ProTip for roast pork - blitz up some fresh apple and mix that into your paxo.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what's the big flap about this escaped prisoner whose crime was planting fake bombs? kids in rough parts here do that for recreation :/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's a spy.

It's the leaking military secrets to another state that they're mostly mad at, not the corned beef tins with telephone wires he left about.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They are being very quiet about which hostile state he is alleged to have been cooperating with though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
scotland obv