Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

I stumbled across a pair of nesting Spotted Pardalotes this week - amazingly tiny little birds that nest in burrows beside streams.

This pair probably have young in their burrow, since they are both going out and dropping off food before heading straight out again.

I managed to get some OK pictures of them going about their business:

Mr Pardalote sussing me out

Mr Pardalote returns from a successful foraging expedition

Mrs Pardalote on her way out

Mr Pardalote mid-flight

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Those are amazing photos

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chard posted:

Those are amazing photos

Agreed.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Amazing photos of a beautiful bird.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

If those are the OK ones, I wanna see the good ones! :v:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Spotted a green coneheaded planthopper, Acanalonia conica, climbing a tree in my yard.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

McGavin posted:

Spotted a green coneheaded planthopper, Acanalonia conica, climbing a tree in my yard.

Cute leaf guy

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Probably some of the last butterflies of the year

Small tortoiseshell. Never get tired of these guys, A+ colors

Red admiral

Cabbage white

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:buddy:

:buddy:

:kingsley:

Sorry, I have a gut level reaction to those after years of trying to grow show-quality cabbages. The caterpillars go right through those things if you don't keep ahead of them!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You're a cabbagemeister?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sorry, I have a gut level reaction to those after years of trying to grow show-quality cabbages. The caterpillars go right through those things if you don't keep ahead of them!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was always wondering why cabbage whites are so common here without me seeing a single cabbage field in my life, until I realized that canola is a brassica

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Any identification thoughts on these guys shared by a friend? Arkansas.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

My brother, the jerk, keeps finding salamanders when digging. I have never seen a salamander in Alberta. :smith:

I do, however, keep finding bees in my basement which raises concerns regarding the porousness of my home. I tried to give this one some sugar water but she wasn't too interested and pathetically hovered off after a bit.

A better picture of the mystery bees (?) that swarm around my mint plants.

This technically doesn't count as a wild critter, but I've never seen anyone with a turtle pond in their front yard around here - I thought it was a statue until it moved! I guess it must winter inside.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I have never seen a salamander in Alberta. :smith:

Were you looking underground?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

McGavin posted:

Were you looking underground?

They said in Alberta, not on Alberta

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
Spring is the best time in tropical Oz. Low humidity (about 70%), warm (20 to 28 oC) and sunny.

Lacewing eggs

I haven't seen this one (my favourite moth) for ages

Geometridae

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Anisota virginiensis that can't fly / has an injured wing so I'm taking care of her til she passes. She's pretty active and drank some grenadine syrup off my fingers. :3: I'm leaving vegetation in there in case she lays eggs so I can take them back outside.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That moth, holy poo poo!

I had to look up more about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milionia_queenslandica

http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.au/enno/queenslandica.html

Gorgeous specimen.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
Don Herbison-Evans (Butterfly House) is a bloody legend. Buck Richardson is also an incredible scholar of Australian moths.

Fly tax

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Cope's Gray Treefrog hiding in my roof line

Making friends (and also making frogs)

Ugh gross this thing is filling up with mosquitos, wait a minute it's also filling up with...

Sigh...

This led to a tadpole rescue op, which was a great success

And what is this thing even? (It's in Durham, NC)

It's cicada season by the way so here's a cicada turning into an adult. (edit: yes that's a frog on the branch in the first one, I was ejecting it from my water lily container because it was making too much noise, again.)

Green anole

Hey did you know you can take phone camera photos through binoculars? Did you know that it's a terrible idea? Oh well let's do it anyway. Here's a great blue heron eating a fish.

Here's a double-crested cormorant, which will probably eat all of the rest of the fish

Here are some hummingbirds

And here's another lizard thing I can't identify (also Durham, NC)

Spiny orb-weaver

Anole eating a black soldier fly on my compost tumbler. Jerk.

Luna moth, in rough condition

Luna moth caterpillar I think

Another anole, this one looks like it just hatched

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 8, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's a ton of awesome photos :five:
The binocular ones are neat, I've done that with the moon before but they turned out to be really nice vignettes with those critters.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I kinda like the aesthetic quality of the binocular photos ngl, especially the bird on a branch one

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Your mystery bee looking thing is a fly, can't give you more details than that though.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I'm pretty sure based on both the appearance and its behavior that it's a hoverfly of some sort.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Last night when I went down to get myself a drink I saw a moth fluttering and drowning in the kitchen sink. I fished her out, let her dry off on my hand until she was able to fly right, then brought her outside where it's (hopefully) safer for her. Can anyone help me ID her? I'm in Massachusetts.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Dang ol fox, man:

Came out to just check us out. More than happy to let me snap a couple grainy zoomed in pictures.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Common buckeyes are, well, super common here, but I've never seen/noticed one that looked so much like an animal (snake?) face.

Wildcat buckeye butterfly-8514

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I think this opossum is pregnant

I’m pretty sure all of them go blind eventually. After watching a video of a rescue opossum that can’t be released because lead poisoning has made her blind, I’m guessing that’s why most of them seem to go blind.

I decided to wait till it left, so I got a few more pictures.

Bored fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 9, 2023

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Are they getting the lead from carrion? I know by its nature it has to be heavy but how is there not a better alternative for buckshot now?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Opossums are marsupials, so they're only pregnant for about 2 weeks and the babies are about the size of a grain of rice when they're born. She's probably not pregnant, but might have babies inside her pouch.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Red Queen posted:

Are they getting the lead from carrion? I know by its nature it has to be heavy but how is there not a better alternative for buckshot now?

Eating poisoned mice & rats, rat bait, etc. will probably also do it (e: the blindness that is)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 9, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Red Queen posted:

Sounds expensive

steel shot exists but it costs a whole 20c more per round and also you must have steel tolerant chokes in your gun so therefore No Thanks.

They almost certainly get the lead from environmental exposure due to paint, fuel, and other accumulation rather than shotguns though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some animals are just much better at accumulating heavy metals than others.

mystes
May 31, 2006

goatface posted:

Some animals are just much better at accumulating heavy metals than others.
Opossums are basically just North Korean generals

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Pit viper
Comoon european adder/viper (Vipera berus)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nostalgamus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 9, 2023

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Glanced sideways on a walk, saw a bee just chillin' takin' a nap.

Evening walk, this one was stalking the lavender.

Not sure why there was a pillbug convention, but I sure stumbled across it.

https://i.imgur.com/fZLlIJt.mp4

Nessus Sphinx Moth flitting to and fro the other day. (Video)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

It's...uh.... it's in a field....

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I could have sworn the name was translated as "Pit viper" the last time I looked it up, but wikipedia call it the common adder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nostalgamus posted:

I could have sworn the name was translated as "Pit viper" the last time I looked it up, but wikipedia call it the common adder.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adder

Pit vipers are a thing. The term refers to a larger group of venomous snakes that have heat sensing "pits" near their nostrils. Essentially they have heat vision. It's badass as gently caress.

Examples of pit vipers include rattlesnakes and copperheads.