Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
UK is way better than any game on that list but it's not really much of a throwback shooter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think I'm going to drop System Shock. I wanted to finish it before starting Starfield, but well, the siren's call of looting hundreds of ashtrays is strong. Actually, I played yesterday three hours to see if I could finish it. I completed Executive and the three groves (despite Beta Grove being the first one I did), and I completed Engineering. I needed to check a walkthrough for the second time, because I hadn't noticed the codes you need for the final area of Executive deck.
In any case I noticed in Engineering the game throws at the player lots of enemies, it's a bit of a combat slog, I guess the game is signalling I’m in the endgame now. And with the combat being so lackluster, if the two decks that remain are like that, I don't feel as I'm losing a lot.
Exactly, I'm at the point where it seems now I have to go back to SIX previous decks to get the self-destruct code? (I had to look at walkthrough for a third time, I didn't understood what I was supposed to do from the PDA). And then go back to the Reactor gain, then go back to Engineering, and then go to finally to Security?
I have all the decks where it’s possible at danger 0% but gently caress that, way too much boring backtracking.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe a crazy question, but I just discovered how cool the Quake 2 remaster's local split-screen multiplayer options are and it got me thinking... Does anyone know of a game -- or some third-party tool -- that lets you do local multiplayer on multiple monitors, rather than just splitting one? In some ways it seems incredibly logical, though I'm already thinking of some logistical challenges there could be. Still, with multi-monitor support generally being more of a thing now, it doesn't seem too far out of reach. (Really the bigger issue is probably that split-screen multiplayer is less supported these days. Looking at you, Halo MCC.)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Sir Lemming posted:

Maybe a crazy question, but I just discovered how cool the Quake 2 remaster's local split-screen multiplayer options are and it got me thinking... Does anyone know of a game -- or some third-party tool -- that lets you do local multiplayer on multiple monitors, rather than just splitting one? In some ways it seems incredibly logical, though I'm already thinking of some logistical challenges there could be. Still, with multi-monitor support generally being more of a thing now, it doesn't seem too far out of reach. (Really the bigger issue is probably that split-screen multiplayer is less supported these days. Looking at you, Halo MCC.)

Use Nucleus Co-op, you can get MCC and other games working with separate screens for local multiplayer!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Use Nucleus Co-op, you can get MCC and other games working with separate screens for local multiplayer!

That's really cool and never thought about this on my PC with my two screens :v:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Convex posted:

Sweet, I'm totally gonna look into this when I get home. Thanks!

I got to thinking about it after trying a few different configurations for 2-player Quake 2 split-screen. Horizontal split was really wide on a modern monitor. Vertical split worked pretty well as long as I turned the FOV all the way up. But then I was looking at my second monitor and thinking "wait a minute..."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Doom itself supported this back in the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3NQQ7bPf6U

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's a shame that it's so difficult to plug in two keyboards, two mice and two monitors into a home PC for the purposes of shared use of one computer. You can do it through VM bullshit but even that comes with a bunch of drawbacks. By all rights it should just work. Kind of a conspiracy really, they don't want you to!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

SCheeseman posted:

It's a shame that it's so difficult to plug in two keyboards, two mice and two monitors into a home PC for the purposes of shared use of one computer. You can do it through VM bullshit but even that comes with a bunch of drawbacks. By all rights it should just work. Kind of a conspiracy really, they don't want you to!

Tbh it seems doable. I had Microsoft call me the other day and tell me that I was selected for a customer appreciation cash prize. They hooked up to my mouse and keyboard over the internet and helped set up my bank account to get the funds. Like there's gotta be some sort of way to use that to do multi keyboard Quake 2 coop.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

shoeberto posted:

Tbh it seems doable. I had Microsoft call me the other day and tell me that I was selected for a customer appreciation cash prize. They hooked up to my mouse and keyboard over the internet and helped set up my bank account to get the funds. Like there's gotta be some sort of way to use that to do multi keyboard Quake 2 coop.

congrats on your prize winner

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

shoeberto posted:

Microsoft's generous contribution required the commandeering of your inputs since desktop versions of Windows don't have support for concurrent user sessions.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

shoeberto posted:

Yeah I really appreciate you taking the call btw. The deposit is still on our account however, so if you send 10% of the full prize to 1800 317 515 the routing will be activated and you'll get the full sum plus 20% additional. I'm Greg Microsoft.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah I really appreciate you taking the call btw. The deposit is still on our account however, so if you send 10% of the full prize to 1800 317 515 the routing will be activated and you'll get the full sum plus 20% additional. I'm Greg Microsoft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bhwAwRKzZE

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow Quake II looks significantly better with texture smoothing turned off imo, not sure why I didn't try it before!

I think that and Half-Life were both right at the 'check out this optional 3d card mode' stage where they still offered a software renderer so I guess were probably designed to be seen without the smoothing filter until late in development. Almost everything needed a 3D card from 1999 onward and even other Quake 2 engine games like Kingpin didn't have a software renderer iirc, so the switch was pretty fast!

edit: also I reinstalled Clive Barker's Undying and found a mod that adds in weapon and spell wheels as well as fixing up the UI for widescreen resolutions. I've only played about 15 minutes but it runs way better than the last time I tried!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/undying-renewal1

quote:

Mod that helps you play Undying on modern systems, tries to improve the gameplay and add cut features.
Main features:

Widescreen support, lets you choose more resolutions in game (up to 4k)
Vulkan renderer which improves performance and has borderless fullscreen windowed mode
Big loading time improvements
Support for all languages
Launcher that allows you to play community maps easily
Easy modding by editing scripts from System/Scripts/ folder and starting the game with the launcher

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 6, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Selaco's getting a released date at Realms Deep.
https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1699250203587694997

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hell yeah, hoping I can pick it up for xmas. Meanwhile Beyond Sunset seems like it keeps getting mired in feature bloat and I'll be surprised if it drops within 6 months

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Is Cultic episode 2 still coming out this year?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Convex posted:

edit: also I reinstalled Clive Barker's Undying and found a mod that adds in weapon and spell wheels as well as fixing up the UI for widescreen resolutions. I've only played about 15 minutes but it runs way better than the last time I tried!

I was gonna say, I played it a little bit ago without this and it definitely had weapon and spell wheels, but that item wheel actually looks new (watch me be wrong!) and would have been very helpful, so that is cool.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

skasion posted:

Is Cultic episode 2 still coming out this year?

Doubtful. Last I saw, the dev said that they had a "long way to go" on it back in July.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think Jasozz has done a ton of engine and backend work, developing new alternate weapons, usable shields, climbable ladders, etc, but hasn't gotten that far with mapping.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Convex posted:

Wow Quake II looks significantly better with texture smoothing turned off imo, not sure why I didn't try it before!

I think that and Half-Life were both right at the 'check out this optional 3d card mode' stage where they still offered a software renderer so I guess were probably designed to be seen without the smoothing filter until late in development. Almost everything needed a 3D card from 1999 onward and even other Quake 2 engine games like Kingpin didn't have a software renderer iirc, so the switch was pretty fast!

I like the Q2 remaster with smoothing on, but more probably out of nostalgia for that shock of how good stuff looked when switching to that first 3DFX card. I didn't have a capable card for Q1, so I don't have the same warm fuzzy memories and texture smoothing remains off there.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

I like the Q2 remaster with smoothing on, but more probably out of nostalgia for that shock of how good stuff looked when switching to that first 3DFX card. I didn't have a capable card for Q1, so I don't have the same warm fuzzy memories and texture smoothing remains off there.

The original glQuake kinda looked like rear end anyway. It had several missing features from software (overbrights, the underwater effect, etc) and cards of the day could barely run it so they defaulted to those hideous light coronas instead dynamic lights (although you could change that at least). There were some other half-working graphical effects like reflections and shadows you could enable as well.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Hey, I saved up for what felt like ages to get a diamond monster 3d so everything could be blurry, and lens flarey. I remember having to recompile all the maps to get reflective and transparent surfaces.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

david_a posted:

The original glQuake kinda looked like rear end anyway. It had several missing features from software (overbrights, the underwater effect, etc) and cards of the day could barely run it so they defaulted to those hideous light coronas instead dynamic lights (although you could change that at least). There were some other half-working graphical effects like reflections and shadows you could enable as well.

Ah yeah, gl_flashblend: if you were running less than a Voodoo Graphics card and didn’t have multitexturing, the shaded ball would keep your machine from melting down when explosions got busy. IIRC that was also used for Quake64. The reflections only worked for a single mirror in the Easy difficulty selection hallway, and the stencil shadows were only oriented in a single fixed direction, but it was pretty cool to enable them on an Nvidia TNT and watch your friends lose their minds.

The lack of overbrighting and fullbrights did wash it all out, though. There’s a reason GLQuake was an unsupported hack. And Unreal was a loving revelation less than two years later, at least visually…

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

SCheeseman posted:

I think this has been possible for games to do since raw input. You can differentiate between different keyboard and mice with it. For general computing usage, there were a couple of really weird and niche products in the late 90s/early 00s that basically let you hook up a second monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and I have no idea how that worked.

Sir Lemming posted:

If you merge your two monitors into one display, and they are the same resolution, you should be able to make the game fullscreen across them both, and split screen will split in half, giving you one full display per player.

Vertical split screen with an ultrawide monitor is super rad, you basically get almost a 4:3 display of your own.

spongeh fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 7, 2023

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

SCheeseman posted:

The Trine series of games lets you couch coop with three mouse+keyboard sets, so it's at least possible.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
How soon we forget the one true e-sport: dual-mouse competitive Lemmings.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I imagine screen cheating in The Settlers II was ridiculous unless you were teaming up against the AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3_IblbOcRk

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

spongeh posted:

If you merge your two monitors into one display, and they are the same resolution, you should be able to make the game fullscreen across them both, and split screen will split in half, giving you one full display per player.

Not even close unfortunately, I've got my relatively new 27" 1440@170Hz and an old 24" 1080@60Hz.

The Kins posted:

How soon we forget the one true e-sport: dual-mouse competitive Lemmings.

Oh, I haven't forgotten.

Well, actually we never had 2 mice so we used a mouse and a joystick. It was, uh, not ideal.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

spongeh posted:

I think this has been possible for games to do since raw input. You can differentiate between different keyboard and mice with it. For general computing usage, there were a couple of really weird and niche products in the late 90s/early 00s that basically let you hook up a second monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and I have no idea how that worked.

The original Serious Sam did too (I think the method they used broke under NT) but doing this requires per-game support. If you could plug in another monitor, assign inputs to it and run a separate user account on it then every networkable game should work. Not quite split screen but pretty close, every PC has multiple video outputs now and it's not hard to get your hands on a cheap spare monitor.

Those old multi-user KVM-like products relied on latent support in the OS with the help of some unauthorized low level fuckery and didn't work very well with games due to atrocious graphics performance. CRD did a video on it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ZShakespeare posted:

Hey, I saved up for what felt like ages to get a diamond monster 3d so everything could be blurry, and lens flarey. I remember having to recompile all the maps to get reflective and transparent surfaces.

lol yeah the water thing tripped me up when I revisited Quake a few years after I stopped playing it. Some of the water surfaces would work fine without re-vising the maps but most turned into rendering errors. It also blew my mind that the command for “previous weapon” didn’t exist. I had assumed my CD had the latest version of Quake, but no, there was a later patch that added that command. It’s not even an engine thing, that was all in QuakeC!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Yeah I remember feeling the same with GoldenEye when I first got an N64, as prior to that point I was used to blocky textures when you got close to anything. With hindsight it's a vaseline coated mess, sure, but back then it felt like a huge step forward.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I picked up Zortch purely on the Civvie video, and... holy poo poo does it capture like the exact way textures and particle effects were rendered for like... a very precise moment in time in late 1997/early 1998. Graphically it mostly reminds me of the extremely cursed Blood 2, but everything about the gameplay is just great.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Skios posted:

I picked up Zortch purely on the Civvie video, and... holy poo poo does it capture like the exact way textures and particle effects were rendered for like... a very precise moment in time in late 1997/early 1998. Graphically it mostly reminds me of the extremely cursed Blood 2, but everything about the gameplay is just great.

There’s something very gratifying about the fact that in the quarter century since it was released I’ve never heard anybody try to defend Blood II. I snagged it as a bundle with the original Blood at Best Buy when it was new and enjoyed the first so much that I basically forgot about the sequel after a single weekend of playing it. loving dreadful.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I rebeat Amid Evil and now I see some of what CoP was talking about with Black Labyrinth. There are definitely fewer supplies, which wasn't a huge deal with the way I was playing it (hard difficulty, weapons carry across levels) and all told it's a mid-tier episode in most ways. With the game still fresh in my mind, here's the canonical ranking of Amid Evil episodes.

-Number one with a bullet: Arcane Expanse. It's gorgeous, has the most varied enemy roster of the base game, the most branching paths, and a couple fun gimmicks, like the suspended water passages. I really love its look, all curved wood and stained glass.

-Second place is the toughest one to pick, but I'm gonna give it to The Void, in large part because it's one of the few dark, ethereal finales in a videogame that's actually fun to play. The third level is especially cool, and the final boss is a pushover but at least he's an impressive sight. Plus all the game's bosses are very easy, especially if you have soul mode.

-Third goes to Solar Solstice, hell some days I'd put it second, it's that neck and neck with the last episode. Just solid all around, with some great arenas, well-tuned encounters, and nifty locales.

-I'd actually put Astral Equinox this high up. It's just a great "first" episode and I dig its aesthetic. The very first vista you see, of the church built into the cliffside by a lake, really sets the tone for the game, and even though you could technically play this episode second, I wouldn't recommend it.

-Here's where I'd slot in The Black Labyrinth . Ignoring the changes to your arsenal, I'd say it's solid but just doesn't feel like a real step forward in most ways. It's got some cool scripting (namely any time you have to punch a switch to shift part of the level around) but it also feels incredibly linear in an already linear FPS, and just a bit messy. I'd mentioned in an earlier post that the last boss's mechanics felt unpolished, and I also had quite a few instances where enemies placed on high up platforms would just kind of...fall off in front of me. I thought the timing on your soul mode was usually a little off, too, I ended up wasting it on very small packs of enemies a lot. Still well worth the cheap price if you're looking for some more Amid Evil, and an excuse to replay the game like I was.

-The Sacred Path comes in sixth. It's got some cool moments, but its blocky aesthetic didn't really jive with me and most of its enemies are a little spongy. They do have some cool interactions though, like the way the golems pull themselves out of the walls, or how those plant guys turn into stronger monsters if they touch fire.

-I gotta emphasize that Domain of the Sentinels is still a good episode despite being so low on the list. It's fun mowing down loads of weak enemies, but the maps never quite wowed me. Nothing actually wrong with it tho.

-The Forges were just as awful as I remembered. Worse, maybe. The things you fight are probably more or less fine, it all comes down to the maps. You're constantly funneled through cramped tunnels and across inch-wide platforms while you get shot and it's miserable. Little skill, only attrition. It's the only episode in the game I'd actually call bad. At least the boss is a little tougher and more-involved than most of the others?

Anyway, 9/10, best videogame adaptation of a prog rock album cover I know of. Next up: Turbo Overkill, finally.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Hasturtium posted:

There’s something very gratifying about the fact that in the quarter century since it was released I’ve never heard anybody try to defend Blood II. I snagged it as a bundle with the original Blood at Best Buy when it was new and enjoyed the first so much that I basically forgot about the sequel after a single weekend of playing it. loving dreadful.

That part on the subway train was so awesome that the game repeats it three times!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hasturtium posted:

It's me, I defend Blood 2 in this thread. There's some bits I like, lots that's trash, and it's held together with chewed bubblegum and Elmer's glue. I recommend playing Death Wish instead tho.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mordja posted:

.-The Forges were just as awful as I remembered. Worse, maybe. The things you fight are probably more or less fine, it all comes down to the maps. You're constantly funneled through cramped tunnels and across inch-wide platforms while you get shot and it's miserable. Little skill, only attrition. It's the only episode in the game I'd actually call bad. At least the boss is a little tougher and more-involved than most of the others?

I haven't beat Amid Evil yet, and that's probably partly because I got annoyed at The Forges. Arcane Expanse was a hoot, but by then my momentum was halted and I got distracted by something else and then it was joever.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

catlord posted:

It's me, I defend Blood 2 in this thread. There's some bits I like, lots that's trash, and it's held together with chewed bubblegum and Elmer's glue. I recommend playing Death Wish instead tho.

Some of its aesthetic elements are pretty decent - nice texture work in places, some decent models - but it’s essentially a beta with asset reuse and unpolished pieces everywhere, which Jason Hall said a quarter century ago. Shogo was a better LithTech demo and I’ll always be grateful for the surprisingly detailed writeups for different 3D accelerators people were using back then in the games help entries.

Death Wish 1000%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Would it have been legal to get Weyte in and have him record new material for deathwish? Wouldn't have to be a lot, but it would have been cool.