Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TrueAnon has mentioned many times that they've heard rumors he's got some kind of robot dick which would lend itself to infertility by its very nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
time to get back to work on the robogina i guess

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Gripweed posted:

The second Maintenance Phase episode about Robert Kennedy Jr. has a fun little moment where they play a clip of Kennedy complaining about people judging his anti-vax book without reading it, and the lady host is like, "Actually, as someone who has also written a book that was widely denigrated as pseudo-scientific nonsense, I can relate"

This podcast sounds bad, which I guess explains the decline of the books could kill podcast into sub dollop summaries and lollin

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Gripweed posted:

The second Maintenance Phase episode about Robert Kennedy Jr. has a fun little moment where they play a clip of Kennedy complaining about people judging his anti-vax book without reading it, and the lady host is like, "Actually, as someone who has also written a book that was widely denigrated as pseudo-scientific nonsense, I can relate"

I listened to this for like five minutes once and concluded it was a HAES podcast so I suppose I’m the guilty party

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lol nick estes called out the 5-4 podcast for constantly saying that gorsuch is good on indigenous issues

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

I listened to this for like five minutes once and concluded it was a HAES podcast so I suppose I’m the guilty party

It's good when they're debunking bad diet/health books and fads, and bad when Aubrey attempts to explain how someone can be perfectly healthy at 350 lbs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PostNouveau posted:

It's good when they're debunking bad diet/health books and fads, and bad when Aubrey attempts to explain how someone can be perfectly healthy at 350 lbs.
I dont know anything about this HAEScast but I don’t think someone that says ‘well actually being a goon is perfectly healthy and normal’ should be trusted on debunking health

but also lol anyone who gets diet advice from a podcast deserves whatever statins they need

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lol nick estes called out the 5-4 podcast for constantly saying that gorsuch is good on indigenous issues

libishly: oh man, clarence thomas really knows a thing or two about jurisdictional precedence :swoon:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

yeah it's uh inconsistent in its content at best and very much one of those "what if everything u thought u knew was WRONG" type podcasts.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i saw they did an ep on vegetarianism a while back and as a veg i'm curious what they said...... there's no way they came out as anti veg right?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I saw a tik tok of a guy on Joe Rogan doing the 20 year old Maddox argument of "well you need to kill animals to farm crops so vegans also kill animals to eat, when you think about it" lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i saw they did an ep on vegetarianism a while back and as a veg i'm curious what they said...... there's no way they came out as anti veg right?

naw that one is generally pro veg for the eco reasons, they are very in agreement that meat production is horrible for the planet and animals are slaughtered cruelly.

they do say "well actually a vegan diet isn't necessarily healthier, look at these studies, see!"

the fundamental problem of the podcast is that it starts with a conclusion - let's debunk this thing - and then picks and chooses a few scientific studies to support that conclusion, ignoring many many others in the process that may disagree. it's especially problematic in a field like nutrition science where there are loads of conflicting studies that will support whatever you want.

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

naw that one is generally pro veg for the eco reasons, they are very in agreement that meat production is horrible for the planet and animals are slaughtered cruelly.

they do say "well actually a vegan diet isn't necessarily healthier, look at these studies, see!"

the fundamental problem of the podcast is that it starts with a conclusion - let's debunk this thing - and then picks and chooses a few scientific studies to support that conclusion, ignoring many many others in the process that may disagree. it's especially problematic in a field like nutrition science where there are loads of conflicting studies that will support whatever you want.

I have listened to a couple of episodes and the one i liked the most was the one about the history of the bmi index. Great chemistry between the hosts though.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

well compared to RBG

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:lol:at matt literally describing the plot of an episode of Rocko's Modern Life in the latest chapo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

I just listened to the episode this afternoon to answer Wrath's question, and yeah it's not great.

The episode is about the Forks Over Knives documentary, and the first half is spent poking holes in it. Turns out the pop-sci documentary uses some spurious anecdotes and poorly done research, who would've thunk it? But then the second half is about the claim that vegetarianism and veganism are healthier diets. And they say that studies regularly show that yes vegetarians and vegans are much healthier, but they argue that those studies are worthless. You can't compare the health of vegetarians to non-vegetarians, because vegetarians already cared enough about their health in the first place to become vegetarians.

And then they point out that some people are vegetarians because they are so poor they have no choice but to live on nothing but millet, and those people probably have lots of health problems.

They then pivot to talk about how no study comparing the health of people with different diets is useful because there are so many variables that aren't controlled for.

The conclusion of the episode is that it's impossible to say that one diet is healthier than any other by looking at the health outcomes of people on those diets.

edit: Oh yeah, and during the debunking of the movie part. The movie talks to this heart doctor who set his patients on vegetarian, low fat, or Mediterranean diets, and the vegetarians saw the biggest reductions in their heart disease. The Maintenance Phase hosts debunk that claim by pointing out that actually all three groups saw roughly equal reductions in their heart disease at first, but the vegetarians just were able to stick with their diets for way longer because it was such a significant life style change. So therefore you can't say it's the healthier diet.

Gripweed has issued a correction as of 02:16 on Sep 7, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wasn't this the same idea wrt drinking wine sporadically being good for your health but the studies were done in the 1990s where the wine drinking first world was at the apex of it's life expectancy?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Great pod

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tankbuster posted:

wasn't this the same idea wrt drinking wine sporadically being good for your health but the studies were done in the 1990s where the wine drinking first world was at the apex of it's life expectancy?

The point which they almost accidentally make is that vegetarianism is different from the "drink red wine!" "never eat red meat!" stuff because it's actually a systematic lifestyle change that makes you more conscious about your health generally.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I just listened to the episode this afternoon to answer Wrath's question, and yeah it's not great.

it's such a bizarre and pedantic stance to take that it makes their analysis completely pointless

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm not interested in the other podcast but the times it comes up on if books could kill Michael's take on nutrition seems to be, it's all bad science and who knows what's really healthy anyways? Which is a pretty bad opinion

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
He's right

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Completely abandoning the concept of ontology re: health and shoveling anything within reach into my mouth like a giant toddler

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Completely abandoning the concept of ontology re: health and shoveling anything within reach into my mouth like a giant toddler

that's righjt, that's freedom, that's america :patriot: :911::patriot: :911::patriot: :911::patriot: :911::patriot: :911::patriot: :911::patriot: :911:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
it owns the most powerful country with 999 zillion nukes is also a country filled with literally 300 million goons

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tokin is right

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I would take the HAES folks or people who get personally offended by nutritional science more seriously if they at least had the courage of their convictions instead of just putting up a veil of skepticism

If you think it's bullshit then go whole hog. Take up smoking. Or heroin. Drink antifreeze. If the only part of medicine you disbelieve is the part where your doctor says it's a bad idea to wash down a whole cheesecake with a two-liter coke then that just gives the game away.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
But if I admit part of my health is under my crontol then I'm responsible for it :colbert:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I would take the HAES folks or people who get personally offended by nutritional science more seriously if they at least had the courage of their convictions instead of just putting up a veil of skepticism

If you think it's bullshit then go whole hog. Take up smoking. Or heroin. Drink antifreeze. If the only part of medicine you disbelieve is the part where your doctor says it's a bad idea to wash down a whole cheesecake with a two-liter coke then that just gives the game away.

Obviously the HAES people just don't want to be shamed for not being healthy and had to come up with a method to deflect that criticism in a liberalish way, and the liberalest way is always through identity politics. So therefore we're all beautiful just the way we are and anyone criticizing me for my health is attacking the entire cohort who cannot help who they are.

You can contrast this with the cohort I'm sure you're aware of who are unhealthy and do not give a gently caress. This is a demographic that I can respect (because I am a part of it) but this doesn't appeal to some because when asked I'll gladly tell you that it's my choice to eat fast food twenty times a week and they've got a sense of shame.

Gripweed posted:

But then the second half is about the claim that vegetarianism and veganism are healthier diets. And they say that studies regularly show that yes vegetarians and vegans are much healthier, but they argue that those studies are worthless. You can't compare the health of vegetarians to non-vegetarians, because vegetarians already cared enough about their health in the first place to become vegetarians.

I'm sympathetic to this argument. I can't imagine caring enough about my health to make any kind of lifestyle change but that's an across-the-board thing. I'm not only going to continue eating cheeseburgers every day but I'm also going to continue to ignore my watch telling me that five hundred steps a day isn't enough and continue never getting my annual checkup. When I die from something preventable it'll be a little silly to say it was just the cheeseburgers.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

im gonna eat slop

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1699651996171866458?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Yadoppsi posted:

But if I admit part of my health is under my crontol then I'm responsible for it :colbert:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ClassActionFursuit posted:

Obviously the HAES people just don't want to be shamed for not being healthy and had to come up with a method to deflect that criticism in a liberalish way, and the liberalest way is always through identity politics. So therefore we're all beautiful just the way we are and anyone criticizing me for my health is attacking the entire cohort who cannot help who they are.

You can contrast this with the cohort I'm sure you're aware of who are unhealthy and do not give a gently caress. This is a demographic that I can respect (because I am a part of it) but this doesn't appeal to some because when asked I'll gladly tell you that it's my choice to eat fast food twenty times a week and they've got a sense of shame.

I'm sympathetic to this argument. I can't imagine caring enough about my health to make any kind of lifestyle change but that's an across-the-board thing. I'm not only going to continue eating cheeseburgers every day but I'm also going to continue to ignore my watch telling me that five hundred steps a day isn't enough and continue never getting my annual checkup. When I die from something preventable it'll be a little silly to say it was just the cheeseburgers.

you should make a podcast about this

unless the fat Stavros guy already fills this niche?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
fat ppl get to eat a whole pizza and they still complain…

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

On npr they recently had some guest who was going "we have these bad health outcomes associated with overweight people, however are they actually associated with being overweight itself?" And I was like "wow great point" followed by "wait a minute"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I read a very serious article, I think a chapter of a book, about how if NATO is going to confront Russia or China they have a shockingly small pool of available manpower because of obesity. The training time of infantry replacements would be like 3 months longer because of the need to incorporate what in the Canadian system is called Warrior Fitness Platoon.

For whatever reason the cause and effect never seems to line up for people at the top because they could subsidize healthy eating, end food deserts or whatever, a long term state project to create combatants for the Rules Based International Order, but they can't even bring themselves to help people to fulfil their own geopolitical goals.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 13:36 on Sep 7, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
our obese soldiers will dominate the tiny twinks of the east

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Chad Jihad posted:

On npr they recently had some guest who was going "we have these bad health outcomes associated with overweight people, however are they actually associated with being overweight itself?" And I was like "wow great point" followed by "wait a minute"

finally understood why they call their listeners nprs

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I want to play HarnManor with Matt

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I read a very serious article, I think a chapter of a book, about how if NATO is going to confront Russia or China they have a shockingly small pool of available manpower because of obesity. The training time of infantry replacements would be like 3 months longer because of the need to incorporate what in the Canadian system is called Warrior Fitness Platoon.

For whatever reason the cause and effect never seems to line up for people at the top because they could subsidize healthy eating, end food deserts or whatever, a long term state project to create combatants for the Rules Based International Order, but they can't even bring themselves to help people to fulfil their own geopolitical goals.

Ok, but so what? If you can just spen another 3 months having them run in circles that doesn't seem like that big of a problem. At least compared to the way the war industry is set up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Does it need to go in the special knapsack or is it acceptable to carry it around by the handles?