Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
He's a hard bitten brothel owner just trying to keep it going one day at a time. She's his ex and bitter rival, taking out her bitterness over their failed marriage on him by running a competing brothel below costs. Can they come back together to revive the last spark of love before the out of town Brothelmart drives their community brothels out of business for good?

This Christmas, come see the holiday event of the year: Climb Down The Chimney With Me

Slaan fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Slaan posted:

He's a hard bitten brother owner

Now that's an interesting autocorrect.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Is he his brother's keeper?

Yes, apparently :eng99:

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Slaan posted:

He's a hard bitten brother owner just trying to keep it going one day at a time. She's his ex and bitter rival, taking out her bitterness over their failed marriage on him by running a competing brothel below costs. Can they come back together to revive the last spark of love before the out of town Brothelmart drives their community brothels out of business for good?

This Christmas, come see the holiday event of the year: Climb Down The Chimney With Me

It was the highest grossing movie for its year, and depending on who you asked, it was either the most moving, poetic, intellectual movie that questioned societal norms, or it was rancid vomit that lowered their faith in humanity.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Good reminder that every single quick "this guy displays this info when you coerce him" actually omits a tedious battle. Thanks for playing this so we don't have to.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
yeah, coerce gets by far the lowest use of the interrogation skills for that reason

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's also the reason that Steal > Mug unless you're too low level for the former.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

We're heading back to the western continent to recruit our next character. She's a decent trek away from Oresrush, so might as well start now.

One of Throné's Chapter 2 scenarios takes place here. If you enter a town where someone has a main quest waiting, you're given the option to start it now or later. I'm gonna wait to do the Chapter 2's before we get everyone because that way we don't miss out on any party banter.

It's a quick trek south from Oresrush until...

Hinoeuma

We're only here briefly as it connects the Wildlands and Harborlands, but might as well check out the desert region of Hinoeuma!

Really all we'll get to see is this nice rainbow from the nearby falls and river.

And also apes.

The Harborlands

Anyway, these are the Harborlands, a coastal region on the southeastern end of the western continent.

There's a good bit to explore here. This Silver Sword in particular is a very nice weapon upgrade for Throné.

To reach our destination, we have to cross this bridge. Not really a big deal, just interesting to note.

There's a couple people working on the bridge, among all the others working on the bridge.

Not enough people take safety seriously, so good for him.

Our destination is Canalbrine, to the east.

That said, before I enter the town proper, I decide to go into one more battle so that I can change the battle speed, and wouldn't you know it...

Cait's Theme

We run into our first Cait! These are rather rare creatures that give good rewards but are prone to fleeing. There's several types of Caits as well.

The best trick is to throw a medium level soulstone to take them out. The small ones are too weak. Luckily I have exactly one such soulstone.

The rewards are massive, with everyone going up to L15 and netting a good chunk of JP as well. I was hesitant to kill it because now I'm somewhat overleveled, but it'll probably equal itself out over time. Not that I'm really doing any content outside the recruitment chapters yet, so it doesn't really matter.

I figured for Temenos I'd grab the defense buff spell. Revive probably would've been better, but eh, too late now.

Seaside Town

After entering Canalbrine, we see someone treating a wounded man at the port.

I also see symptoms of severe dehydration.
Apothecary... Nngh... Everything's going dim... Please... Heal me...
Easy now, it'll be all right.

I think we could spare some grapes in these trying times.

Thank you. This is just what I was looking for.

And then a transition to the inn...

Remember to maintain a balanced diet. That'll help keep you healthy.

And yet another transition to outside the inn.

Are you a traveler as well?

If you wouldn't mind sharing the road with me, may I join you on your travels?

Even without memories, she certainly seems to know her stuff. Definitely can't hurt having her along!

You know the deal. Another character, another beginning. Strap in.

-----

Video: Memories

SILENCE

That's why...you have to live.

It's up to you now...

-----

Where am I?

You've got the luck o' the tides, y'know.

(Why...can't I stand?)

Easy now, lass. You've had a rough time o' it. Drink up.
Thank you...for saving me.
Couldn't well leave you to the fishes. How'd you end up on that li'l skiff anyhow?
Skiff...?

C'mon now, this isn't the time for jokes.
I'm sorry, but I really can't remember anything.

I know one thing 'bout you, lass.

Castti... How...how did you know that?

...Ah, right. Amnesia. Strange to think a person could forget their own name.

(First things first, I need information. Somewhere to start. It will be difficult to learn who I am... Nevertheless, the crew of this ship should know more about the circumstances of my rescue.)

You know, for someone who just lost their memories, Castti is handling this surprisingly well.

Inquire is yet another info-extracting ability like Coerce and Scrutinize. It's a day action like Scrutinize, but instead of having a percentage chance to succeed, it works as long as you're at the minimum level for the NPC in question, much like Temenos's Guide.

It's always nice to have someone looking out for us.

Other than the captain and the three NPCs we're supposed to Inquire, none of the other NPCs can be Inquired.

Of course, that won't stop us from chatting up the rest of the ship.

Uhhhh, that doesn't sound very good. I wonder how that's related to that earlier cutscene...

I'm curious how one can captain a ship despite never even sailing the ocean before. Oh well, not every person is suited for every job, the world does need some landlubbers.

At least this guy seems to have found his calling.

That said, this information certainly isn't of much help as to finding out Castti's identity, but it's all we have for now.

(Based on the predominant currents in this region of the ocean... It's likely my skiff set sail from somewhere on the continent to the east. From my exhaustion and the severity of my dehydration, it's fair to estimate that I was adrift for several days.)

(...Not much point in wondering. I should instead thank my lucky stars that I was rescued.)

(Its destination is a large port town called Canalbrine. Perhaps there's someone there who can shed a light on who I am.)

(Maybe they can offer some material clues as to my identity.)

Castti definitely knows her stuff despite not remembering her stuff. That said, no progress on her actual goal yet. Certainly her belongings will help, and maybe even jog her memory...

This satchel...

(It seems rather hastily stuffed. I must have been in quite the hurry.)

(Well, well... It seems I am--I was an apothecary.)

Yet another mystery.

At least we know now where Castti's skills lie. If nothing else, hopefully she can still remember her craft.

But that can wait.

Seaside Town

We have arrived at Canalbrine.

I've remembered a little. Enough. I was an apothecary.

Heh, that so.

An old sea dog taught me that proverb. May the wind and the waves always find you well, Castti.

The help is greatly appreciated, but it's time to move on.

Canalbrine is no New Delsta, but it's certainly a thriving port town and likely one of the bigger settlements on the western continent.

...?

Yeah, no mistaking it.

(Oh well. First things first, I need to find clues as to who I may be. I should speak to the people of this town. I might glean some knowledge about my past.)

Castti has nothing else to go on, so might as well learn what she can about this town.

Video: A Fallen Boy

SILENCE

In that case, I'll just have to try my luck with someone else.

For instance, she's learning that the townsfolk here are rather rude and/or shy.

Sesque...

He's burning up! We need to get him inside!

-----

Rash, vomiting... It could be the onset of some sort of strange poison. I should have the herbs to treat this. Hold on for just a moment.

Castti's night action is Soothe, which helps NPCs rest. In story situations, it's usually to help with treating sickness or injuries.

In practical use, Castti uses it to drug NPCs unconscious so she can take their things, because this is Octopath Traveler.

Soothe uses items to knock out NPCs. You don't have to worry about these items when needed by the story, but the items are somewhat limited when doing it regularly, and more important NPCs require more resources to knock out, and I don't know if you can even grind certain ingredients from monsters. You want to be selective with who you use these on normally.

Right now, though, it's a matter of life and death so no need to be stingy with our medicine.

A dash of lychanthe seed mixed with some of these herbs should do the trick...

...Phew. The fever's receding. He's sleeping peacefully now.

Thank you, miss... Er...

Thank you, Malaya. My name's Castti. Sorry to say I don't remember much else. I was an apothecary, but what kind I cannot say.

What? Then how did you diagnose and treat that boy?
It seems my hands still remember their craft. Strange, isn't it?

Very fortunate that Castti still remembers how to treat others, especially in this situation.

Wait... That blue uniform... It can't be...

Apprehension

What?

How'd you sneak in here!? What'd you do to him!?
Calm down. She's an apothecary. She treated your brother for his ills.

Eir's Apothecaries? What--

Pestilence-monger? I don't understand.
And I don't care! Out! Out!!!

-----

SILENCE

Who are these...Eir's Apothecaries?

You have? What sort of people are they? Why was that man so hostile to me?

I fear Senah's illness is only the beginning. If I can't identify the root of this sickness, it could engulf the whole town. There's no time to waste.

Would your time not be better spent treating your own woes?

As long as I can heal the sick, who I am is ultimately trivial.

Very well. You have my aid. Let's split up and find the source of this sickness.

No memories and alienated by the entire town, Castti's still willing to do what she can to protect these people from whatever illness may arise.

Let's just hope this all works out.

I'm sorry, but would you mind telling me about these apothecaries? I'm unfamiliar with them.
Don't play dumb. Everyone knows what that little band of apothecaries have been up to on the eastern continent. They travel around charging only a pittance for services...

I even heard they butchered an entire town not long ago.
I don't know what dark purpose drives them, and I don't care.

The truth is, I don't know if I am what you think I am. I remember little of my past.

Get off with you!

Right now, all I want is to help the people of this town. I'm looking for clues as to what is causing the people here to grow sick. Please, if you know anything, tell me.

This is probably the most inopportune time and place to have amnesia, particularly if Castti was indeed a member of Eir's Apothecaries.

Marlo? What's wrong!?

What's the big idea!? He needs help! Or do you want me to leave him there to die!?

C-contagious!?

I'll carry him. All of you, stay here.

-----

She...she healed Marlo?

Apprehension

What in the world's going on?
drat, and of course this happens while our healers are away!

It's up to Castti to help out the town.

There's three sick townspeople to tend to.

First off, this little girl.

Fortunately we're stocked on medicine.

The girl is safe, but it seems her grandfather is in danger.

His granddaughter went looking for an apothecary, but hasn't come back yet...

Just need to administer some medicine to him...

My fever's broken, thanks to you. You have my gratitude.

We're not done yet.

An apothecary's work is never done.

That should do it for now.

This sickness is spreading fast. We need to find its source or there won't be anyone standing before long.

We're out of the woods for now, but it's too early to breathe easy.

Hope

Senah gave me a tongue-lashing 'bout it, too. He said you saved his life.

Huh. Well, I don't know if this'll help, but...

Hey! Ma said the same thing to me this morning!
Really? I boiled some water this morning and didn't notice anything strange...
The water... Of course!

If that's true, then that must be the source!
A fine deduction, Castti. I agree.

Then my course is clear.

This is our town. It's our job to protect it.
I appreciate the offer, but I'm afraid I must insist that you stay.

Well...all right.

Castti's won the town over with her dedication, but her work has only just started.

...Fine. Just come back in one piece, Castti.
Hehe, I'll try. The world needs more apothecaries like you, Malaya.

Next time, Castti searches for the source of the town's illness and maybe learns something about herself along the way.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
in the transition from Octopath 1 to 2, several of the ways to snap the game in half were given a tap with the nerf bat. Castii, our friendly apothecary, has received the lightest of these. her predecessor broke the entire BP economy of the game over his knee as of the moment you got him; for Castii, this will be a sometimes food until lategame.

one of my few gripes with the game is that she is significantly better at doing Temenos' combat role than Temenos is.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love picturing Castti just chloroforming an entire town. Because she absolutely would if the situation calls for it

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 7, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

in the transition from Octopath 1 to 2, several of the ways to snap the game in half were given a tap with the nerf bat. Castii, our friendly apothecary, has received the lightest of these. her predecessor broke the entire BP economy of the game over his knee as of the moment you got him; for Castii, this will be a sometimes food until lategame.

one of my few gripes with the game is that she is significantly better at doing Temenos' combat role than Temenos is.

Castti is better at healing, but Temenos has options that Castti can't replicate even with her bag of tricks. There's also in-game stats to take into account and one of the flaws of Apothecary is that it's... slow, which can be cumbersome for a healer if you don't use moves to fix that.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Personally, if I had amnesia and no idea about anything and I was repeatedly told that I was wearing a uniform identifying me as something bad, I would change my clothes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Change clothes? In this economy sprite-based graphics engine?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Y'know I don't think that first statement is actually true because of how early we can access the black market.

But equally it's not really something that you need to do or that matters.

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
Re: Partitio's politics
I always saw Partitio as a Georgist. Essentially, both labor and capital can justly claim the rewards of production, since they are the product of human effort, but since nobody made the land, land ownership is purely parasitic. Furthermore, Ricardo's Law of Rent ensures that all increases in productivity can be swallowed by increased rent. Which is of course, exactly what happened to Oresrush. The mines didn't become unprofitable, the change in land ownership ensured that no matter how much labor produced, conditions would never improve. While Partitio does believe in capitalism, he recognizes that rent-seeking is a destructive force, which is how he justifies his worker revolt.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Harborlands (Night)

It's time to march our way to the water source and purge whatever is contaminating it.

Castti's Talent is Concoct, and it works a lot differently than it did from OT1.

For OT2, Castti chooses from a list of ingredients, and each one she chooses will do its effect. Grapes will heal a set amount of HP, Plums restore SP, Cleansing removes status conditions, and so on. There's also a couple ingredients that modify these effects, one which strengthens the effects and one that spreads the effects to the entire party.

The key thing is that, unlike OT1, you can actually use BP to boost Concoct and select more ingredients, up to five at max BP. You can select any number of ingredients as many times as your BP allows (you may be limited to only one each of the Diffusing/Strengthening Serum, but more than one would have no effect anyway), letting you stack, say, four Pomegranate Leaves and a Diffusing Serum to give the entire party four BP. Which, yes, means Concoct has the potential to be just as busted as it was in OT1.

Also like in OT1, there's Concoctions that heal and buff the party, and ones that hurt and debuff the enemies. While the elemental concotions don't do multi-hit effects anymore unless you stack them, instead they do actual damage now.

Of course, the limiting factor with all this is the amount of ingredients you have. Some are easily bought for cheap, and Weeds are always free to give random de/buffs, but naturally the good stuff can be difficult to get a good number of. Fortunately, this isn't as huge an issue as you'd think for reasons we'll see later.

If you're curious, here's all the possible effects, courtesy of the massive community-made OT2 spreadsheet (which I'm not gonna link here because naturally there's a lot of massive spoilers in it).

Apothecary's biggest stat is HP, being mediocre in basically everything else, which suits its role as an utility healer just fine. Thus an extra 200 HP complements Castti's role just fine.

Otherwise, it's a rather scenic walk to reach the river.

This helm is a surprisingly large improvement over Castti's starting hat.

Sure, why not.

Something must have forced its way in here. The wellspring is just a little further. I'll need to approach it with caution.

Naturally, it seems some sort of creature or villain may be involved here.

Stillness Underground

Nothing else to do but explore the area further.

And annihilate any crabs along the way.

Another solid armor upgrade.

At least this time I don't have to actively grind to get to 30JP. Let's get into the Apothecary's abilities...

Healing Touch - Restore HP to or revive a single ally. The actual healing is not really that impressive and can arguably be outdone by items and Concoct even at higher levels and more BP, but the revival part is huge, particularly since most other revival methods leave characters at low HP.

Icicle - Deal ice-based damage to a single foe. Mediocre damage source, mainly useful for chipping away at ice shields or for high-E.Atk jobs like Scholar and Dancer.

Rehabilitate - Grant a single ally immunity to status effects for 2+(2*BP) turns. It also heals status effects, but it's cheaper just using herbs to do that. Otherwise, status immunity is great for certain battles, just as long as you buff its duration efficiently.

Sweeping Cleave - Unleash an axe attack on all foes. Target-all weapon attacks are always handy, and axes are generally one of the stronger weapon types. This can do serious damage paired with a good P.Atk-user.

Poison Axe - Unleash a powerful axe attack on a single foe, and poison them for 2 turns. Checking the ability data spreadsheet, I don't think BP boosts the number of turns a foe is poisoned, only the damage from the axe attack, but correct me if I'm wrong there. Regardless, this is more of a powerful single-target attack with a poison bonus rather than a good way to inflict poison.

Replenish Health - For 3+(2*BP) turns, grant HP to a single ally after they perform an action. Checking the spreadsheet, I think it recovers 20% of Max HP a turn, but I could be wrong there. It's passive recovery over the course of a battle, so it's really only going to be helpful during boss battles, and even then the healing may be wasted if the target's at full or needs and gets a big heal. Not really a skill to rely on.

Weak to Poison - Makes a single foe weak to poison for 2+(2*BP) turns. This makes it sound like it makes poison do more damage, but I don't think this is the case? All the info I could find was from the OT Wiki, which says this effect makes the foes lose a shield when taking poison damage. Which is situationally useful against foes with otherwise difficult weaknesses to hit, but there's generally other ways around this, and this effect requires a weird amount of set-up to take advantage of when many easier methods exist.

Divine Skill: Dohter's Charity - Extend the reach of a single ally's items to affect all for three turns. Considering the existence of Jams that can fully recover combinations of HP/SP/BP/Latent Energy, this is a fantastic skill you can throw on any party member who may not have much else to do. I'd assume this also works with Concoct, though it's not as important to it as it is in OT1. Very great divine to have handy.

Support Skills

Vigorous Victor - Restores 30% of the equipping character's max HP and SP upon winning the battle. It's a nice QoL passive for random battles if nothing else. Won't be too useful end-game, but it's arguably one of the more conveient passives to have before then just to save time with menus and let you be more aggressive with SP-expensive skills.

Hale and Hearty - Raises the equipping character's max HP by 500. Another filler ability, useful for healers and more fragile characters, but nothing you want to keep around once you get more passives.

Inspiriting Break - Restores the equipping character's SP when breaking a foe. The OT2 spreadsheet says it restores 20SP, which is alright. The issue is that generally when breaking a foes, you're not going to go out of your way to have a specific character break a foe. Thus this is too inconsistent to really make work, especially with so many other passives out there.

Preventative Measures - Grants the equipping character immunity to enfeebling effects for three turns at the start of battle. Might be useful for randoms and maybe specific bosses, but generally debuffs aren't that big a deal at the start of a battle, so it seems underwhelming to me.

I opt for Rehabilitate because why not. Probably should've done Sweeping Cleave instead but oh well.

Token "Merchant standing in the middle of nowhere" has some nice ingredients for sale.

Looks like we've found the source.

It is true what they say: filth is the root of all illness. Now then... What is it that's made all this mess?

As Castti investigates the filth, a loud scream grabs her attention.

In Pursuit of Memories

So you're the ones causing all this trouble.

Your very touch poisons the waters here, sickening all who drink it.

I couldn't convince you to leave peacefully, could I? The townsfolk need these waters more than you.

*sigh* It was worth a shot.

Video: Boss - Doron and Veron

Critical Clash II

This fight is a bit tricky, as it's two-on-one and these nasty creatures have appropriately nasty effects they can inflict.

In addition to dealing decent damage, they can also debuff Castti's P.Atk.

Doron is weak to ice, and Veron to axes. Doron's probably the easier target to go after first.

Thankfully sometimes these creatures will just waste a turn to give you some breathing room.

Boost and Burst.

Poison's a nasty status effect, doing 1/6 Max HP damage each turn. Sadly it's not nearly that potent on bosses.

Of course, the nice part of being an Apothecary is that the job itself is very self-sufficient, able to do some damage while keeping the user healthy.

I need SP after all that, so I decide to use a bunch of the Mighty Leaves I have to buff Castti's P.Atk for a few turns.

Naturally after I do that I get hit with another P.Atk debuff, which cancels out the remaining turns I had. Oof.

Otherwise, Concoct is incredibly handy for this battle, if only because healing poison and recovering HP in one turn is great turn economy.

Eventually I get Doron to near death.

But not before Veron literally eats its companion. Gotta say, this caught me off-guard the first time I played this game, especially since I started the game with Castti.

Ick... What a noisome odor... Did cannibalizing its own empower it somehow?

Yeah, best to eliminate this threat as soon as possible.

As if this fight couldn't get any more disgusting.

Fortunately, now we get access to Castti's Latent, and it's one of the best in the game.

When active, Concoct does not use any materials. It becomes significantly more spammable as a result, as you can do all sorts of crazy effects for essentially free. And as shown here, as long as you have even one of an ingredient you can use it multiple times.

This hits decently hard and inflicts Poison. An appropriately nasty attack.

Time to show off what Hazardous Concoctions can do!

In OT1, these effects only did single-digit damage, since they were more focused on breaking shields and inflicting debuffs. The increase to damage is much appreciated for this fight!

And after all that, Castti finishes the creature off with ease.

SILENCE

That takes care of the root of this illness.

With time, the corruption here should fade.

It won't do anything for the smell, but I'll feel better for it nonetheless.

-----

Hope

Yes, er... Sorry about that.

The spring will run clean again in time. Nevertheless, I recommend boiling all your water for a good while yet.

Back on his feet and as rambunctious as ever! Not a trace of that nasty fever left.
I'm glad to hear it. Allow me to stop by later to check on him, just in case.

How can we ever make it up to you?

Although...I do have one request.
Anything! Just name it, Castti!

-----
Video: Treatment Log

Bygone Days

But it's time for me to move on. The open road is calling.
Malaya... May I ask what it is that compels you to travel?

I've identified the ingredients I need to brew the medicine, but I've yet to discover the correct recipe.

Is there anything I can do to assist you?
No. This is my problem, my burden to bear. You have your own troubles to see to.

(...I need to know who Eir's Apothecaries are. And who I am as well...)

Malaya, correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to know something about them.

Tell me. I'm begging you.

What will Castti learn?

...Wait a minute.

Empty Memories

Castti... You have the power to save lives. More than any other.

It's up to you now...

Transition to...

Heart's Lament

It can't be...

Farewell.

Wait...!

(That was Malaya. Then we've met before? What's going on?)

(What made you act as if you didn't know me?)

Malaya!

(But why? Who--or what--were we running from?)

I need more clues. Something else to go on.

A book...

Everything beyond the first few pages is too stained and smeared with blood to make out. What in the world is the story here?

Castti, the Apothecary

This journal is the only clue I have. I have little choice but to visit Sai and Winterbloom, and see what I can find. I need to rediscover who I am.

I need to remember.

And thus we begin Castti's story to regain her lost memories.

You choose the road for now, and I'll follow.

I'll be rotating the party a lot for various reasons. For now Castti's gonna want to play catch up, and Partitio fills a similar role as support, so he'll be sitting out battles (though certainly not Path Actions, I'll rotate heavily for those).

Next time, we'll explore Canalbrine and also tackle a couple more side stories before we tackle our next character, who you can vote for here. Just three left!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
gotta be Agnea for maximum tonal whiplash

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One other note of Healing Touch is that it's very cheap, especially compared to Cleric's heals. This means that any character can use Apothecary to become a single-target healer even if they don't have much SP.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Ironically, Casti appears to be the last member I'll be recruiting, though entirely by accident. I had meant to go to her, but wound up in Hikari's lands, so I just shrugged and picked him up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm sorry, did I hear that right? Is her boost attack quote "Catch these hands."? :allears:

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
Healing Touch is pretty good for Challenge battles (and also Coerce and Mug, but those battles are generally over much more quickly).

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm sorry, did I hear that right? Is her boost attack quote "Catch these hands."? :allears:

It's "with these hands"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tax Evasion posted:

It's "with these hands"

Aw, that's slightly less funny.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Don't worry, her other boost attack quote more than makes up for it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Castii's VA is Sarah Wiedenheft.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Don't worry, her other boost attack quote more than makes up for it.

It's no "MY BLADE IS UNBENDING", but it's close.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
No mercy, only pain!

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Our sweet healer sure didn't wait long to start slinging that axe around - got to love some aggressive medicine!

I wasn't expecting to learn who the woman from the flashback was so quickly - even with Malaya definitely hinting that she knew much more than she said.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

The game really caught me off guard when I inquired Malaya and the screen got all funky. Made me think the game was glitching out for a moment.

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017
Castti's story ended up one of my favorites all game, and the sudden, abrupt weirdness when Inquiring Malaya was the moment it started.

Regarding Poison Axe and Weak to Poison, I can confirm you're right - Poison Axe BP boosts only ever buff the damage, the duration is always the same, and Weak to Poison creates a temporary poison weakness so that each time Poison goes off it takes a shield. Switching Empoison to Poison Axe was basically a way to hit poison with a slight nerf bat since you can't have Castti keeping bosses poisoned forever quite as easily as Alfyn could.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Update up later today, but for now, here's the poll results.

Next poll will probably be a bit different, as I'm going to assume Ochette will win anyway, and her story has its own significant choice to make, but more on that when we get to it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Seaside Town

Today's side story is yet another short and uneventful one, so might as well explore Canalbrine first so this update isn't ten screenshots long.

This NPC has no path actions available for whatever reason.

Here's Senah, the young man that Castti treated earlier.

He has a very useful Revitalizing Jam, but it's both expensive and difficult to steal. We have other methods available, though...

Honestly, that's not a bad solution, and it seems to be working out for this family at least.

Slumber Sage is one of the items Castti can use to Soothe NPCs at night. It's hard to get this stuff, so it's better to avoid using this on random NPCs, but more ones that block certain areas.

Besides, Throné is much more suited to knock out random jerks I hate.

The one locked house in all of Solistia.

Other than his anger issues, Sesque is boring as heck.

Gotta love the whole "oh yeah she's having an affair with an older man" thing going on.

The handmade bouquet is a nice touch.

That's part of the fun of traveling, you'll never know what you'll encounter next.

Amusingly, this is a callback to a similar NPC from OT1, who even has the same sprite.

quote:

The spear even has the same stats. Oh yeah, Throné steals it. Think of it as a way to encourage her to move on, or something.

Wow. That old man seems like a lot more trouble than he's worth.

Yeah, it's certainly that and not because his wife almost left him for being gone all the time.

Amusingly, these are the two fathers of the kids who are getting along on that bridge earlier.

Another no path actions NPC.

For the right price, I'd be willing to trade anything for anything.

That Dragon Vase is certainly important. Something to keep in mind for later...

That said, I don't think I want to do honest business with this guy.

The only way to reach Toto'haha is by ship (or by starting the game with Ochette). No need to go there quite yet, though.

Sounds like she's living her best life, so good for her.

I grew up in a kingdom called U, and built all sorts of structures there.

Yes, there was a nation called U that fell in war. We'll learn a bit more about it later on, as it was conquered by the kingdom Hikari is the prince of.

Sai's a town we'll go to sooner or later, as several story quests will lead us there.

I like that there's a weaponshop that you can only access from the waterways. No way to get there on foot, you just have to swim or row in.

There's also a small cathedral in Canalbrine.

He grew up wanting for nothing, and now I fear he's unable or even unwilling to provide for himself. He moved to New Delsta, where I cannot help but imagine he's become a burden on society...

Might be something to keep in mind for the near future.

You're clearly not repenting hard enough with the way you make everyone's lives around you miserable.

Alcoholism is as prevalent here as anywhere.

Canalbrine seems to be filled with those who are skilled in what they do, but prefer being in smaller towns where they can enjoy more fulfilling lives.

Seaside Town (Night)

It's night time, so good a time as any for Osvald to work his magic.

...OK, maybe not on her.

That's better.

That old man knows exactly what he's doing.

Seems like you might as well get rid of the house if you spend so much time passed out on the streets.

Unsurprisingly, a drunk man is very easy to beat up and take things from.

This is the first beastling we've met. They reside in Toto'haha and are rather unfamiliar with humans, since humans have only recently traveled and colonized there. Thus they have difficulty speaking the human language (though thankfully Ochette was taught to be fluent so she won't have such issues) and understanding human customs and practices. I'm worried for this guy, but hopefully things will work out for him.

Not surprising to see this cleric here.

Ehhhh. It's possible he's just a huge fan of her dancing, an appreciator of the arts. Let's hope so...

...though the fact he has an axe just hidden near the inn is a bit odd. It's a solid upgrade though so I'm not gonna question it.

I wonder when she'll notice her spear is missing.

Here's the loving family all together.

We'll need Large Soulstones for a future side story, and they are not cheap or easy to obtain this early in the game, so might as well get them when I can.

Huh, imagine that...

Yes, a very loving and happy family.

Definitely living her best life.

The brothers are at least enjoying some quality time together.

Although it's interrupted by some maniac in rags clubbing one of them with a staff until he steals their prized jam.

The inn is a somewhat busy place.

I like rich NPCs, they have good loot and are easy to beat up.

Hey, a loving and happy family that's actually loving and happy!

The Feathered Hat is a decent upgrade. The Ice Amulet is one of a series of accessories that reduce damage from elemental attacks, which can be handy for certain foes, assuming you know ahead of time which ones specialize in ice attacks.

Alright, time to tackle this side story.

I know this is the right place, but I'm getting tired of waiting here.

So yeah, this one is about one guy trying to meet another guy.

In this case, twin brothers.

If we switch to night, there's a different youth waiting in that same spot.

I know this is the right place... What if something happened to him?

It seems they're both expecting to meet a young man at this place.

Hmmm.

He leaves when the sun sets, but then he comes right back and waits some more!

You can probably guess how to solve this problem.

We simply need to take one to the other.

I could ask you the same question, big brother! I thought something terrible had happened to you!
And you think I didn't worry, too? I stayed here all day in case you turned up!
Well, I stayed here waiting all night!

How the hell did this happen for so long without either of them realizing this.

Thank you, friend!

Well, at least that is resolved.

Trust my little brother to set up a meeting in the middle of the night...

To be fair, this is an odd time to schedule a family reunion, but maybe being a lumberjack or whatever brings odd hours with it.

Next time, we'll probably tackle another side story involving family bonds and incredible stupidity.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

A Sensational City

Heading back to New Delsta for today's side story.

Bring me fruit. I think some ripe grapes will suffice. Goodness gracious, my throat is dryer than the desert sands... I'll pay you the leaves, so don't waste another second.

Well, this is an easy one. We have plenty of grapes, so we can spare one.

But if you insist on giving them to me, I will graciously throw them away for the both of us.

That...wasn't the outcome I expected. Maybe we should try again...?

How could you not know what I'm talking about? It's obvious, isn't it?

I don't know if I really want to give this twit a plum, but well, we have plenty and they're cheap, so maybe he'll actually appreciate it this time.

Oh...I see you've brought a plum. Just as I asked.

Oh well. You tried your best, I suppose. Shame on me for expecting better of a commoner. Well, lesson learned!

OK, this is just ridiculous. Time to figure out this guy's deal.

Well, that explains a lot.

And if you're curious, he'll rotate between asking for a grape and plum until you wise up and figure out the actual way to resolve this side story.

I try to tell him, but he never listens. I wonder if there's anyone who can talk some sense into him...

His father's in Canalbrine, huh. Sounds familiar.

Methinks we'll pay him a visit...

He grew up wanting for nothing, and now I fear he's unable or even unwilling to provide for himself. He moved to New Delsta, where I cannot help but imagine he's become a burden on society...

At least the jerk's father has a sense of shame.

Let's reunite this family, and enjoy the resolution.

...I cannot believe my ears.

If you want something, you had best learn to get it yourself! How dare you treat others like your servants!
I'm s-s-sorry! I thought giving people money would make them happy.
Not with that ungrateful attitude, you fool!

Eep...!

But thanks to you, I was able to teach him a long-overdue lesson.

So now the side story is actually resolved.

Go figure getting dressed down so thoroughly would change him for the better.

Well, that's another problem solved! So might as well recruit our next character...

...which means we're gonna have to head back to the Leaflands.

The Harborlands

I could just travel to Oresrush and take a quick jaunt north, but hey, why not take the scenic route? This update could use a bit more padding anyway, and it's always fun to see the scenery and the numerous weird creatures around.

This Rock Tortoise, for instance, is a rather sturdy creature that can buff the defenses of all enemies.

This jaunt also lets me clean up some treasure chests I missed earlier. Nothing too exciting, but still nice.

And also grind JP on top of that. Right now I want to focus on Castti's axe attacks so she can do some better damage.

Also, plenty of fish to fight, including on land!

Advanced Magic is gonna be overkill, but I don't really need the others right now.

Otherwise, nothing much of note here. Time to go back to the Hinoeuma region.

Hinoeuma

Along the way, I stop by Ryu, a tiny settlement in the sands.

I mainly do this to get quicktravel access here, and to take out Osvald who has a JP lead due to all the townspeople he's been beating up.

See you in a few updates, Hikari.

Stealing is a good way to get various Concoct ingredients. A lot of stuff you can get for cheap, but if the enemy's gonna die anyway, might as well save a few leaves, right?

The actual loot is dumb, but I like that you can sail east from Hinoeuma back into the Harborlands on boat to get this chest. Technically you can reach it from other areas on this screen, but it's fun to do it this way.

Especially so I can collect some more seafood.

The order I want Throné's abilities is rather straightforward. After her powerful and useful HP Thief, the debuffs are great, and Armor Corrosive should be good once I finally get some physical attackers.

Also we beat up betta fish.

As well as run into another elemental.

Elemental wisps hit harder than most foes in the general area. They also generally don't have any weapon weaknesses.

They're naturally a good source of soulstones, though.

Ember's probably the least-useful of Partitio's skills, but hitting fire weaknesses might help if I don't have Osvald around.

Not only do I have two stronger spears than this, it even has an accuracy penalty. That's what happens when you steal and mug NPCs with reckless abandon, though.

Enough wonderous creatuers of the desert.

Breezing through the Wildlands.

This sword's power certainly lives up to its name...lessness, as it's completely unremarkable.

The Leaflands (Night)

Now let's give a thorough exploration of the Leaflands before we reach our destination.

Those Mossy Meeps are not much, but that Giant Boar...

Yeah, if I weren't so overleveled it'd be mildly scary.

Strange, don't see anyone camping here.

These owl creatures have a decent wind attack on top of their physicals.

A nice hat that boosts Max SP. I'll save this one for Osvald.

There's a chest we have to reach by riding this river to another screen. I must say, this is delightfully scenic. The Leaflands is full of glorious eye candy.

And also really old fish that we need to render extinct.

The chest in question has another element-reducing amulet, this time for Wind.

At last, we arrive at our destination. Next time, we enter the lively little town of Cropsdale and meet our next companion.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That story took me longer to finish than I care to admit

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Can you just keep farming that guy for leaves?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yeah, though it'd be faster and likely more profitable to go to a vendor and sell in bulk with a sales-boosting partner for Partitio.

Plus there's numerous better ways to make money anyway. Like Mugging!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That story took me longer to finish than I care to admit

Being blind I assumed the answer was punch his teeth in.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

Being blind I assumed the answer was punch his teeth in.

It was certainly something I tried. And maybe again and again...

Tax Evasion
May 27, 2020
It took me forever to figure out the first story, primarily because I never realized they weren't actually the same guy. Not my finest moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Perchiyama
Jul 23, 2017

GrimSqueaker posted:

It was certainly something I tried. And maybe again and again...
Can also confirm that I kept thinking the answer was ultra-violence and it was only upon revisiting the town in endgame side story cleanup that I learned about the father and put two and two together.

It's a fun twist on the concept, though; I like how it seems so straightforward and yet very quickly you realize it's more complex.

Mega: Are there two-method sidestories in this game too? It seemed like a couple of them could be when I played, but I never tried it.