Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Former Human posted:

You could do that in Operation Flashpoint in 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIBHU0R2uw

The video has nothing to do with Starfield, since it just came out, but it's interesting to compare map sizes in various games.

Earlier versions of these had Dereth from Asheron's Call and now they just don't anymore.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is a weirder omission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Former Human posted:

You could do that in Operation Flashpoint in 2001.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIBHU0R2uw

The video has nothing to do with Starfield, since it just came out, but it's interesting to compare map sizes in various games.

Some of these sizes seem questionable. New Vegas is 935km2? that seems unrealistically massive for how small those games were. Another estimate I saw on reddit was around 8.5km2.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Some of these sizes seem questionable. New Vegas is 935km2? that seems unrealistically massive for how small those games were. Another estimate I saw on reddit was around 8.5km2.

If you go by the size of the "map" in real world terms, i.e. the parts of Nevada, California and Utah it is modelled on then it's probably accurate. In terms of the game's actual sandbox, 8.5km2 sounds more accurate.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don’t really think space games should count tbh. Just curated land/sea maps.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Charles Leclerc posted:

If you go by the size of the "map" in real world terms, i.e. the parts of Nevada, California and Utah it is modelled on then it's probably accurate.

the world map in my videogame measures 1000 x 1000 miles and is the biggest of all!

it just looks small because it's a fantasy world where all the people are 1 mile tall giants

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Lol the LTT subreddit has been lunching itself over the Temu vid that they released the other day having worked out that Temu is probably (see:definitely) using slave labour in their chain to offer their wares at unsustainable prices.

Some real galaxy brain takes along the lines of "did you post this from an iPhone :smuggo:"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I JUST got Reddit to stop showing me stuff from the LTT reddit, don't tempt me to go back to see the current shitshow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Charles Leclerc posted:

the LTT subreddit

Nope.

Thank you for reporting from behind enemy lines though

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Been telling You tube "don't recommend this channel" whenever I see the stupid face of a LMG idiot and it feels good

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

I don’t really think space games should count tbh. Just curated land/sea maps.
Is there an RPG/action game that is a large, randomly generated area and not hand crafted?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

slidebite posted:

Is there an RPG/action game that is a large, randomly generated area and not hand crafted?
Daggerfall

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

slidebite posted:

Does Diablo 2 count?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

slidebite posted:

Minecraft, and it was in there too which seems BS'y

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Reddit is by far the dumbest place on the internet.

Linus might be a lovely person, but there is an absolutely no loving way he did a shady deal with Temu when his company is under the biggest microscope it has ever been under.

People seem to think that it was actually sponsored by Teemu and he’s just not saying it’s sponsored, which is the dumbest loving thing.

If you have a basic understanding of reality, you would never say half of the poo poo said on Reddit.

A wise man once said: never go on reddit.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

spunkshui posted:

Linus might be a lovely person, but there is an absolutely no loving way he did a shady deal with Temu when his company is under the biggest microscope it has ever been under.

Based on what? His previously track record for lying constantly?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think you're giving Linus way too much credit, he is entirely stupid enough to try something like that. I don't think he did it this time, but he is that stupid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah any terrible business decision is a chance for an apology video that will be their top watched video so far, so he can just continue walking facefirst into doors and it doesn't matter.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Given their bullshit about crypto a while ago...

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Rawrbomb posted:

Based on what? His previously track record for lying constantly?

Because it’s as likely as Linus running a literal sweatshop of child labor in his own lab.

It’s loving stupid and not worth discussing if it’s possible that it’s going on because it’s loving stupid.

There are a lot of lovely things possibly going on at LTT but taking cash under the table and not disclosing sponsorships is not one of them.

It’s like the only thing they actually do correctly.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

spunkshui posted:

Because it’s as likely as Linus running a literal sweatshop of child labor in his own lab.

It’s loving stupid and not worth discussing if it’s possible that it’s going on because it’s loving stupid.

There are a lot of lovely things possibly going on at LTT but taking cash under the table and not disclosing sponsorships is not one of them.

You put way too much faith into the "just trust me bro, we don't need a warranty" man.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Rawrbomb posted:

You put way too much faith into the "just trust me bro, we don't need a warranty" man.

That whole fiasco was because Linus clearly didn't get the importance of having a warranty; he said multiple times that he didn't think they mattered, in the face of Luke and others arguing with him.

He appears to understand the importance of disclosing your sponsors and has gone out of his way to make the point that he does it, so this would be less of a "I don't care so why would anyone else" mistake and more of a "I know people care so I'm going to hide this" deliberate lie. Now, you might think he'd act from malice too but it's different from saying "we already know he makes dumb mistakes".

I think it's reasonable to argue that he knows people would react badly to this and probably wouldn't think the risk is worth it, even working from a purely selfish perspective.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 6, 2023

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

At this point, when it comes to incredibly bad business decisions, I can't fathom why anyone would give Linus the benefit of the doubt for even a nanosecond

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The only excuse that they could offer would be "it was something that was already in the production pipeline before we had the halt".

And not an excuse they can use after a month or so.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Sydney Bottocks posted:

At this point, when it comes to incredibly bad business decisions, I can't fathom why anyone would give Linus the benefit of the doubt for even a nanosecond

Well otherwise it'd be called Tech Tips or some other thing.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Eletriarnation posted:

That whole fiasco was because Linus clearly didn't get the importance of having a warranty; he said multiple times that he didn't think they mattered, in the face of Luke and others arguing with him.

He appears to understand the importance of disclosing your sponsors and has gone out of his way to make the point that he does it, so this would be less of a "I don't care so why would anyone else" mistake and more of a "I know people care so I'm going to hide this" deliberate lie. Now, you might think he'd act from malice too but it's different from saying "we already know he makes dumb mistakes".

I think it's reasonable to argue that he knows people would react badly to this and probably wouldn't think the risk is worth it, even working from a purely selfish perspective.
It's worse than that. His whole reason why he wouldn't offer a warranty on the backpack was, and I'm paraphrasing here because I don't care to soil my youtube algorithm with Linus anything by finding the direct quote, "because every company only offers warranties so they can deny them".

So yes, rather than be better than "every other company out there" and offer a warranty unconditionally, he just piled on the bullshit. On the spot when he did the whole "trust me bro" poo poo, sent out an email/txt to have a t-shirt made with the "slogan".

You could literally see Luke (this was during the WAN show) trying to figure out if he could survive if he walked out on the spot until he got another job. Of course he continued to lick Linus's boots for everything after, but that one did seemingly cause some issues.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Koskun posted:

It's worse than that. His whole reason why he wouldn't offer a warranty on the backpack was, and I'm paraphrasing here because I don't care to soil my youtube algorithm with Linus anything by finding the direct quote, "because every company only offers warranties so they can deny them".

So yes, rather than be better than "every other company out there" and offer a warranty unconditionally, he just piled on the bullshit. On the spot when he did the whole "trust me bro" poo poo, sent out an email/txt to have a t-shirt made with the "slogan".

I mean, I don't really see that as meaningfully different from how I described it. He said he wasn't offering warranties because they aren't worth anything in his view (e: specifically, because forcing compliance on a company which does not wish to honor them is infeasible). I don't agree with him but I think since he seems to believe that and is happy to say it on camera, not offering his customers the thing he just said is worthless is fairly consistent and not really an indicator of dishonesty by itself.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 7, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's also a stance that he only developed once he started making products of his own. Prior to that, he'd rail on companies for not offering warranties.

Basically he's a disingenuous hack

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Eletriarnation posted:

I mean, I don't really see that as meaningfully different from how I described it. He said he wasn't offering warranties because they aren't worth anything in his view (e: specifically, because forcing compliance on a company which does not wish to honor them is infeasible). I don't agree with him but I think since he seems to believe that and is happy to say it on camera, not offering his customers the thing he just said is worthless is fairly consistent and not really an indicator of dishonesty by itself.

The issue with this premise is that you would have to give him the benefit of the doubt which is pretty naive considering his behaviour. Of course he’s going to say that when there is a strong financial incentive to say it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Unless one or more of us secretly works for LMG, nobody really knows what goes on there; and given the things that have come out over the last few weeks, I don't think Linus deserves the benefit of the doubt enough to say he wouldn't do anything particularly stupid or shady. The Billet Labs poo poo alone should be proof enough of that.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Unless one or more of us secretly works for LMG, nobody really knows what goes on there; and given the things that have come out over the last few weeks, I don't think Linus deserves the benefit of the doubt enough to say he wouldn't do anything particularly stupid or shady. The Billet Labs poo poo alone should be proof enough of that.
It's not about what he deserves, it's that assuming the worst in every situation you can imagine is not going to be accurate.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Sydney Bottocks posted:

because just making up the worst possible outcome and assuming that's what happened without actually knowing anything at all is stupid. nobody's giving him the benefit of the doubt, settle down beavis

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

because just making up the worst possible outcome and assuming that's what happened without actually knowing anything at all is stupid. nobody's giving him the benefit of the doubt, settle down beavis

What's this "Settle down Beavis" poo poo? All's I'm saying is that LMG A)has a history of making bad or questionable business decisions, and B)it's prudent to assume that the company that lied about poo poo is probably lying about other poo poo as well. I wasn't the one coming in here frothing at the mouth about redditors or inventing "child slave labor" scenarios in a histrionic attempt to claim that on this particular subject they're clearly being open and honest.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linus has terminal small business owner brain, so it’s safe to assume he’s operating under poorly thought out short-term plans at all times, malicious or otherwise.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

In all seriousness, Linus’ actual position isn’t really consistent. The only consistent thing is that every justification he comes up with is a huge self-report.

I remember him having the audacity to claim he wasn’t offering a warranty because it meant his company would be legally bound to honour it. Which meant his family would be on the hook to honour the warranty of his products if he passes away overnight.

Basically, he’s making up poo poo to justify his desire to sell his products ‘as-is’.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

jeffreyw posted:

In all seriousness, Linus’ actual position isn’t really consistent. The only consistent thing is that every justification he comes up with is a huge self-report.

I remember him having the audacity to claim he wasn’t offering a warranty because it meant his company would be legally bound to honour it. Which meant his family would be on the hook to honour the warranty of his products if he passes away overnight.

Basically, he’s making up poo poo to justify his desire to sell his products ‘as-is’.

I mean, by the same logic if he dies overnight his family is on the hook to pay the wages of 100+ members of staff.

But of course, that logic is terminally flawed because the liability for both is with the company, not the loving bloodline of a YouTube personality like some kind of mythical curse.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

jeffreyw posted:

That's only a problem if you don't know if your $250 backpack will fall apart.

The merch side of Linus is by far the shadiest.

For a while he has making tee-shirts "contests" where if you got lucky and get a second special shirt in the box or something you win something. Seems an awful lot like "gamboling" to me. Especially when you explain the contest, and then stare into the cameras on wan show and announce a new shirt while not confirming if it is also a contest or not.

Oh yes, gamboling without even knowing if you have a chance of winning or not.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1259587-holographic-ltt-keyboard-shirt/

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 7, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

jeffreyw posted:

No that would be your company, which is should be distinct from your family.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
We are forgetting a very important part:

The backpack looks like poo poo

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

Charles Leclerc posted:

I mean, by the same logic if he dies overnight his family is on the hook to pay the wages of 100+ members of staff.

But of course, that logic is terminally flawed because the liability for both is with the company, not the loving bloodline of a YouTube personality like some kind of mythical curse.

His thought process from memory was that Yvonne, as the minority shareholder of LMG, would be forced to deal with the financial burden of LMG product warranties during a time where cash flow would be negatively impacted. It was an embarrassing appeal to emotion.

If there is one consistent thing about Linus, it is his inability to seperate himself and his family from the business he owns. Terminal small business owner brain and all that. The obvious solution for Yvonne if running LMG became too difficult would be to sell her share of the business but that’s probably unimaginable for Linus.

jeffreyw fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Shugojin posted:

No that would be your company, which is should be distinct from your family.

Really, the person who named the company after himself, and who he shares part ownership with his wife, has trouble differentiating between his personal life and his work life?