Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

One Jake per session, no more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you can make it through you get a cookie.

I also had to stop halfway through because I understood the First Jake from seeing Chinatown but they really should have done an origin movie for the Second Jake before doing the teamup flick.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

RBA Starblade posted:

Personally, when I'm not enjoying something I stop watching it instead of planning how it could take up more of my life.

What does that have to do with the current conversation?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KVeezy3 posted:

What does that have to do with the current conversation?

You were saying how you didn't enjoy Everything Everywhere All At Once but you might have if you had taken longer to watch it instead of in one go.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

My bad, I misunderstood that your prior post was referring to my example of viewing EEAO.

Sometimes I watch movies because other people want to. And in that situation, I'm saying I'm open to the possibility that breaking it up into chunks might have made the ADHD style storytelling less overbearing.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 29, 2023

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I'll show you two jakes, pal

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Two Jakes and one Jill

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One two jakes kneel before you, that's what I said now

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Two jakes? In this economy?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

One two jakes kneel before you, that's what I said now

this one got me lol

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Does the black and white Justice league add anything? It seems like the opposite of what you’d want for a comic book movie. I’d be more interested in a technicolor Justice league.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

fr0id posted:

Does the black and white Justice league add anything? It seems like the opposite of what you’d want for a comic book movie. I’d be more interested in a technicolor Justice league.

We did a CineD livestream of the black and white edition when it came out and I think most of us agreed it enhanced the movie. The CGI was already top notch but it made it look even better. The metal on Steppenwolf’s armor really benefited. If you’re ever gonna rewatch it, give the B&W version a try.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Detective No. 27 posted:

We did a CineD livestream of the black and white edition when it came out and I think most of us agreed it enhanced the movie. The CGI was already top notch but it made it look even better. The metal on Steppenwolf’s armor really benefited. If you’re ever gonna rewatch it, give the B&W version a try.

There were effects that looked real wonky when streamed that looked great in B&W. I honestly didn't think the colorized version looked as good until I got my hands on the physical media.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The one downside of the Justice Is Grey version is you don't get the impact of the black suit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What if the suit was in color?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

MacheteZombie posted:

What if the suit was in color?

- Geoff Johns, early planning meeting 2015

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

fr0id posted:

Justice League 2017 already exists

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Both versions of Snyder's films are good. The B&W film is actually really sharp looking and shows off how well designed the costuming is and how well they're shot.

Ignore the discourse about that versions as some terminally online people got a real bug up their rear end about that version based off of some really bad promo pictures (actually, it's just one and it's of the league standing together) and not of the actual final product. Some real film snobs got real upset at it but don't let it paint your impressions of it.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 5, 2023

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

That wasn't even a B&W promo picture iirc, some site just hit B&W on a colour promo pic from JL 2017.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I tried watching the B+W version, and it didn't seem worth the effort. I feel the same way about the Black & Chrome version of Fury Road...it's fine, at best, but not preferable. Especially for Fury Road, the color treatment is a huge part of the appeal, a post-apocalyptic wasteland that's actually really vibrant and colorful.

Snyder's aesthetic for JL was already really unique and pretty great-looking, so dropping the saturation and crushing the blacks kinda...adds nothing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Black and Chrome edition of Fury Road is insanely beautiful imo. Same for ZSJL's Justice is Gray version. If you have any sort of appreciation for the striking imagery that black and white photography can convey, watching modern day high octane sci-fi actioners meticulously put through that specific coloring pass is a real treat. One thing that stood out for me in the Justice is Gray cut was how much "old hollywood" energy Ben Affleck had, visually. I didn't really pick up on that sort of feeling watching the regular ZSJL cut, but the black and white aesthetic of the Justice is Gray version, combined with how Snyder photographed Affleck really has him exude big Humphrey Bogart vibes in a lot of scenes.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Xealot posted:

I tried watching the B+W version, and it didn't seem worth the effort. I feel the same way about the Black & Chrome version of Fury Road...it's fine, at best, but not preferable. Especially for Fury Road, the color treatment is a huge part of the appeal, a post-apocalyptic wasteland that's actually really vibrant and colorful.

Snyder's aesthetic for JL was already really unique and pretty great-looking, so dropping the saturation and crushing the blacks kinda...adds nothing.

I agree. Snyder's usage of color is one of my favorite things about his work, and I think he uses it to great effect to, among other things, delineate between the different worlds explored.

I also agree with teagone that Justice is Grey is worth watching, that seeing these modern epic works in black/white is worth seeing in its rarity, but that the colored version is superior.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 6, 2023

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Giving the ol rewatch to BVS ultimate before I try out the black and white Justice league.

Pros: Snyder has an interesting mix of 21st century American politics of the past and future from the movies premiere. CIA and corporate conspiracies. Abominable tech bros tied up with government. Chicken fried southern senators caught up in the zeitgeist. Literal fake witnesses to supposed war crimes killed by far right expats of a country the us heavily interfered with. An amputee (the legs in particular ie IEDs) survivor of a controversial battle. Lots of interesting stuff.

Cons: good lord these cameos should be exicsed from the directors cut. Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Jon Stewart? NANCY GRACE? The latter is the most interesting one because she is knowingly playing a bad person talking head in her normal persona and it’s funny parody but wow these all severely date the move.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Anderson Cooper is timeless, though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jon Stewart is just a particularly funny one considering I'm pretty sure Snyder wanted to include John Stewart down the line.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jon Stewart is just a particularly funny one considering I'm pretty sure Snyder wanted to include John Stewart down the line.

I see you.

That said, even Anderson Cooper doesn’t have the gravitas for this kind of story. Like even if Obama himself cameoed I would still think it dated the movie and detracted. Maybe in 25 years we will see these people as heralded figures of mythic American lore. I think it will be closer to MTV VJs though. Might as well leave nancy grace though because again it is very funny that she is knowingly playing an evil person through her regular persona.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Justice League cartoon even had a few jokes about John and J'onn.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
As a non-American who's not familiar with most of those people, I didn't particularly care. The idea came across just fine, they might as well have been off-brand allusions to real world people but I guess Snyder thought getting real people was funnier.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

fr0id posted:

I see you.

That said, even Anderson Cooper doesn’t have the gravitas for this kind of story. Like even if Obama himself cameoed I would still think it dated the movie and detracted. Maybe in 25 years we will see these people as heralded figures of mythic American lore. I think it will be closer to MTV VJs though. Might as well leave nancy grace though because again it is very funny that she is knowingly playing an evil person through her regular persona.

Speaking of, it always made me laugh when mtv news was the featured news source in the Cable Guy.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

B&W means more attention is drawn to light and silhouette rather than colour and Snyder uses both really well.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

fr0id posted:

good lord these cameos should be exicsed from the directors cut. Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Jon Stewart? NANCY GRACE? The latter is the most interesting one because she is knowingly playing a bad person talking head in her normal persona and it’s funny parody but wow these all severely date the move.

People still line up to consult the wisdom of Tyson to this day, if anything his cameo remains the most relevant.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If a superhuman emerged you better believe NDT would be on TV about it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What about Vikram Gandhi's cameo

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

The media figures are to be read in conjunction with the Clark Kent as reporter storyline, where he gets increasingly frustrated with private capital’s capture on what constitutes news. So the talking heads are not to convey an array of esteemed figures — that harmful idiot Andrew Sullivan gets a take!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Nancy Grace appearance is so funny considering what her actual persona is and what she's saying in the movie that I'm curious how self aware she actually is.

Also lest we forget NDT was at the height of his cultural domination in 2016. He was in two other movies that year alone, Ice Age 5 and Zoolander 2 (to be fair, his ending bit was I think one of two times I laughed in the movie). The year before he did special features for The Martian and The Good Dinosaur, had his Cosmos miniseries, and had the debut of his own five season long late night talk show which I'm guessing probably five people watched even though he had some pretty stacked guests. Actually the guest on the second episode was Christopher Nolan, even. And it looks like he had Jeremy Irons on not too long after BvS came out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
All of the media appearances in BVS are media people bickering with each other, a straight crib from Dark Knight Returns. Not a single one of them is as dated or jarring as Iron Man 2 or Star Trek TV shows or the Simpsons pausing to kiss Elon Musk's rear end.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

All of the media appearances in BVS are media people bickering with each other, a straight crib from Dark Knight Returns. Not a single one of them is as dated or jarring as Iron Man 2 or Star Trek TV shows or the Simpsons pausing to kiss Elon Musk's rear end.

Or having Stacy Abrams appear as the greatest, most visionary politician in the galaxy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yes. Good grief. First Contact had the foresight to only suck off Zefram Cochran.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

None of this will really date, either. Future generations will just see them as actors.

Mission Impossible Fallout or whatever has one of the best newsperson cameos ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007