Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I've sent OOTS to a few people who only got into D&D for 5e and they've enjoyed it, it holds up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I've sent OOTS to a few people who only got into D&D for 5e and they've enjoyed it, it holds up.

My wife who is completely non geeky (and never re reads stuff) read up to the empire of blood a few years back, this morning she said "tell me when it's finished and I'll read the whole thing again."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

sebmojo posted:

My wife who is completely non geeky (and never re reads stuff) read up to the empire of blood a few years back, this morning she said "tell me when it's finished and I'll read the whole thing again."

Maybe you can tell her that she can start getting through the last 10 years of the comic and she might arrive to the finish almost in real time

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Me and my daughter are keeping up to date, she's happy to wait until it's all finished which I can respect.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Maybe you can tell her that she can start getting through the last 10 years of the comic and she might arrive to the finish almost in real time

Doubtful. More likely, she'd just wind up in here with the rest of us, kvetching about the update pace and debating alignments.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nenonen posted:

That's like 10 strips though

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Amusingly, I'm the opposite. 95% of the my D&D time has been with 1st/2nd ed.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 7, 2023

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

sfwarlock posted:

Amusingly, I'm the opposite. 95% of the my D&D time has been with 1st/2nd ed.

All the weird percentage-based stats and circumstances scare me, but I do use 2e books a lot for inspiration in my 3.5e games. Never actually played 2e.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nenonen posted:

That's like, a week of reading, max

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If she rereads a page a day from the beginning it would take 3 and a half years to catch up, maybe the comic would even be finished by then.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

sirtommygunn posted:

If she rereads a page a day from the beginning it would take 3 and a half years to catch up, maybe the comic would even be finished by then.

nah the next page def won't take 3.5 years to come out

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

How many strips are left? 100? I know it's a spitball, I think we could make an educated guess.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

sebmojo posted:

How many strips are left? 100? I know it's a spitball, I think we could make an educated guess.

Well, the previous book had 242. The largest book had 273. The current book has 98. So between 150 and 200 more strips is probably a reasonable range.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Put me in for 375 as my guess on the non-existent betting pool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Each of the previous books has been ~150-250 (increasing over time) strips and we're about 100 into this book. Considering I doubt this book will be shorter than the last book that means we've got at least 150 chapters to go, probably more.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's kinda hard to judge because updates have become multi-page occasionally, especially after the art shift.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As much as the latest twist points toward things coming to a head, there's no way the comic ends without the Order going into the Snarl's world. That as much as anything tells me we have 100 pages still.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, I think we have at least two, maybe three full story arcs left before we're actually done here. This arc probably ends with either Xykon or Redcloak neutralized, so there's still whichever one remains standing, plus the matter of the Snarl and the planet inside the gates, which I would be shocked if that didn't end up being a large portion of the remaining story from here on out. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a solid 200 to 300 more pages until the end.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I've always gotten the feeling that we're still many years away from the comic's final strip despite Rich saying this is definitely the last book

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I've always gotten the feeling that we're still many years away from the comic's final strip despite Rich saying this is definitely the last book

I mean to be fair we could be many years away from the comic's final strip if we had 10 strips to go.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The only way I see this resolving in a single book is if the "final battle" kicks off in the next four or five strips. There's too many balls in the air and even if some of them are dealt with perfunctorially (a monster in the shadow reveal is a good bet for an anticlimax joke), a lot of them need some space to breathe. But maybe Rich has the ending plotted out down to the panel and it's all set up...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cup Runneth Over posted:

he's doing like 25 strips a year at the moment, so at least five years sounds about right.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Calling it now:

Like GRRM, he will die before finishing it.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

LiterallyATomato posted:

Calling it now:

will Brandon Sanderson finish this one too?

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
"Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies". It's a DnD trope he hasn't dealt with yet, that also handily takes care of ending the story in one book.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

LiterallyATomato posted:

Calling it now:

Please don't say that, he already had one health scare that led to him taking it easier for his health.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Random Stranger posted:

The only way I see this resolving in a single book is if the "final battle" kicks off in the next four or five strips. There's too many balls in the air and even if some of them are dealt with perfunctorially (a monster in the shadow reveal is a good bet for an anticlimax joke), a lot of them need some space to breathe. But maybe Rich has the ending plotted out down to the panel and it's all set up...

At this point, i doubt Rich has any space for anything else in his outline if he doesn't have it completely plotted already. At minimum we need to deal with:

Xykon
Redcloak
MitD
The IFCC
Eugene
The Snarl

and that's a list just off the top of my head. I'm absolutely sure there's another plot hook or three dangling that I'm forgetting about. Rich has stated that this is gonna be the final book, though, so I'm sure it's gonna be closer to 300 pages than 250 given what we still got left if he touches on everything. I just don't see him going back on that and doing another 300+ pages to get another book out of it.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
the final book not counting the epilogue or book 5 intermission 2

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Robviously posted:

At this point, i doubt Rich has any space for anything else in his outline if he doesn't have it completely plotted already. At minimum we need to deal with:

Xykon
Redcloak
MitD
The IFCC
Eugene
The Snarl

and that's a list just off the top of my head. I'm absolutely sure there's another plot hook or three dangling that I'm forgetting about. Rich has stated that this is gonna be the final book, though, so I'm sure it's gonna be closer to 300 pages than 250 given what we still got left if he touches on everything. I just don't see him going back on that and doing another 300+ pages to get another book out of it.

And I'm not necessarily sure of this list that Eugene needs more than like a page. Especially if people are overthinking the extent Eugene's meddling is "bad" vs him trying to find a way of helping that Roy won't reject out of hand that doesn't just get brushed off ultimately.

I think the remainder of the MitD's arc is tied up in however the Xanatos Pileup resolves between Redcloak and Xykon. Assuming he survives it, what's left probably I assume gets tied up as part of the Epilogue, Eugene's thing also feels like an Epilogue "after the danger is over" kind of thing.

So really its Snarl and Xykon vs Redcloak and however the IFCC fits into everything.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Robviously posted:

Xykon
Redcloak
MitD
The IFCC
Eugene
The Snarl

There's probably going to be something with Tarquin, too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The X-man cometh posted:

There's probably going to be something with Tarquin, too.

naw, maybe a page of haley's dad loving him up.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

This might be an epilogue thing, but I think if we see Tarquin again, we will see Sabine enacting revenge, probably through murder.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

LiterallyATomato posted:

This might be an epilogue thing, but I think if we see Tarquin again, we will see Sabine enacting revenge, probably through murder.

I think part of the problem here is this plays into Tarquin's narcissism. Her getting revenge is very Count of Monte Cristo and he'd want nothing more than to be someone's Count of Monte Cristo villain if he can't be the big bad evil guy for Elan, than he'll absolutely accept killing Nale resulting in him dying at Sabine's hands as an acceptable Plan B. Being defeated off screen by a bunch of no-named nobodies and the Dad of his Son's girlfriend is humiliating and he'll ripe out his own arms to be killed by Sabine instead.

Maybe Sabine does something to help topple him but taking painstaking care to avoid giving Tarquin what he wants.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
The fact that Rich is making regular money off Patreon (which he should have been doing from the start) also means that there's no rush for him to wrap things up.

(I just checked and the last bi-monthly Q&A on the Patreon was in March)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

DeadBonesBrook posted:

(which he should have been doing from the start)

Would be a neat trick, since OOTS was 10 years old when patreo n launched.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Robviously posted:

Xykon
Redcloak
MitD
The IFCC
Eugene
The Snarl

I'd add the gods to that, plus Belkar's gotta die. There's a lot of emotional beats that need to be hit and they can't be done at the pole, so there will almost certainly be a lengthy epilogue where everyone reconciles with the important people in their life and we see what they do afterward.

And narratively, I wouldn't expect this to wrap up in one fight at the end of this dungeon; it would make sense to see the Order thrash Team Evil to demonstrate how much they've improved and how effective they are as a team and then have a turnaround on just bad luck. Then they could have an actual final battle with Xykon where they're at a disadvantage giving us a heroic triumph.

The big things to resolve are going to need a lot of space. Facing down the Snarl (for whatever that means) and understanding what's the deal with the world within it can't be addressed in eight pages. Redcloak can't be resolved in a three page speech. These are the big moments that the strip has been building toward for over twenty years and they're going to need some room to built up to that climax and space to deal with the consequences of it and that page count is going to add up.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gobbotopia and the Azure City Remnant are also very unresolved and I suspect they will amount to more than a peace treaty in the epilogue given how much groundwork have been laid for them.

Last I heard, Rich had said that this would be both the final and the longest of the books, so I'd wager we're at most a third of the way through the book, and cast my vote for it being at least 350 strips and 400+ pages by the end.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If there are around 250 pages left and Rich is putting out 2 pages a month, we've got another 10 years worth of story left

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lmao wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Gobbotopia and the Azure City Remnant are also very unresolved and I suspect they will amount to more than a peace treaty in the epilogue given how much groundwork have been laid for them.

Last I heard, Rich had said that this would be both the final and the longest of the books, so I'd wager we're at most a third of the way through the book, and cast my vote for it being at least 350 strips and 400+ pages by the end.

i think Gobbotopia and the Azure City remnants are about as resolved as they're going to be, at least within the context of this story

it's gonna be one of those rocky problems that future generations (and the gods) have to deal with, not something that's going to get wrapped up all neat and tidy on the page while our heroes watch