Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Lmao how is this real. These look like free assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Verbose posted:

Lmao how is this real. These look like free assets.

I mean the entire old graphics were nothing but unity assets so this makes perfect sense.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

it's such a weird decision because the game is supposed to appeal to a niche market of 40 somethings who want to play more EQ

and now we're getting the gameplay of old rear end EQ with the art style of a more stylized, cartoony MMO

lol @ this creature

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Why is it pre-impaled on a rock?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Pledge now!

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Hahah PERPETUAL DEVELOPMENT

ENDLESS REFACTORING... I can't take it. No wonder Bazgrim straight up quit. And Kilsin?*

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 1, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

can somebody spot me some cash for early access btw

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i hope the stupid bear is one of the playable races

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That poor bear has Dan Harmon face.

The only thing dire about me... is my self confidence.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
i went to look at the pantheon forums to see how people were taking this and

quote:

Though my presence within these digital realms has been a muted one, my gaze has been ensnared by the unfolding narrative of this game over the expanse of time. A vigilant sentinel, I have stood, espousing the game's virtues to my brethren of the joystick, a knight sworn to defend its honor against the cynics who claimed its elusive manifestation would forever evade our grasp.

Yet, like the shadows of twilight descending upon a forlorn landscape, this recent revelation strikes the chord of an elegy within me. The dirge of certainty rings clear – the game, it appears, has embraced the mantle of finality. Even if by some enigmatic providence it dares to emerge from the shadows, I fear it shall do so as a mere specter, a fleeting echo of the grandiose promises that once stirred our souls.

In their communiqué, they speak of a discord with their devoted audience, a yearning to court a new assembly of souls. Alas, I am of the belief that this transmutation will avail them naught. Their dalliance with graphical artifice, while laudable in intent, shall fail to ensnare the very hearts they now seek to captivate. The primordial devotees, those who clung to the tapestry woven with anticipation, shall turn their gaze elsewhere in somber lament.

Gazing upon the glimpses they have chosen to bestow, I am met with a countenance that evokes naught but incredulity. What semblance of promise remains has been obscured by the veils of artful reticence. Methinks they should have adorned this reveal with a panoply of revelations, a veritable treasure trove of substance. I am reminded of the fateful transformation of EQ2, as it forsook the realm of realism for the embrace of caricature. Alas, history shall weave a similar fate for Pantheon, it seems.

The augury before me is clear, unerring in its eloquence. The tale that was to be Pantheon, the harbinger of a new age, now languishes in the sepulcher of aspirations unfulfilled. Let us remember, as the poet whispered, that a picture oft speaks volumes. The images cast forth, the heralds of their intentions, paint a somber tableau of a game relinquished to the realm of oblivion.

Thus, we bid adieu to the last vestige of hope that was Pantheon, the last ember of a once-promising blaze, now but a wistful memory in the annals of gaming lore.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

the last signal... posted:

So beautiful. I'm literally crying. They should have sent a poet

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

"I am reminded of the fateful transformation of EQ2, as it forsook the realm of realism for the embrace of caricature"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

They're still trying to make this game lmao

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm not even a bully and I want to knock this guy's lunch tray out of his hands and give him a swirlie

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Switching art styles this late is so loving funny. There's so much media for the game already out there that will just never be remotely accurate now

The game is never coming out so it won't matter but lmfao

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Is the late switch because they found some ai-generated model/rigging software?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No I think it’s just because they’re grifting.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Phoix posted:

Switching art styles this late is so loving funny. There's so much media for the game already out there that will just never be remotely accurate now

The game is never coming out so it won't matter but lmfao

This isn't even the first time all previous material shown for the game was rendered no longer relevant due to significant dev changes, lookin back over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-VljOeRfis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGegB2v9g8Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxwfue78XLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucyu2Ib81Co

Can't say I fault them for the gradual shift away from Unity store assets, but man they should've probably made this art decision then instead of 3-4 years later or whatever.

Poking around on their discord, a lot of vocal folks really hate the changes, although it's simply because "it looks like WoW, therefore it will not be A SERIOUS game".

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FrostyPox posted:

I'm not even a bully and I want to knock this guy's lunch tray out of his hands and give him a swirlie

I’m mean that’s a definition of a bully so…

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i look forward to defeating the rock bear with all my friends who are just out of frame also defeating the rock bear

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
The rock bear’s hump is where all of its exp is stored

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

So they were doing a monthly PA testing for a while, but they couldn't make enough new content that was tester ready on a monthly schedule, so the amount of testers dwindled and they weren't getting enough data. So expect them to announce a change in test format to some weird rear end Tarkov, extraction MMO to keep people hopefully playing. Have an hour to complete some mission, and if you die you lose all your inventory?

The VIP folks talking about this in non VIP channels are almost as irritated by this ad they are the new art style. This is the new 247 testing thing coming out to a several hundred dollar pledge near you.

Please look forward to it.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Wow, I thought people were just exaggerating.

Node fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 7, 2023

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Did they just absorb all of the Crowfall artists

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The unity asset flip looked better.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:lol::lol: It's actively devolving

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

looking forward to pantheon when it launches as a modded wow classic server in 2167

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I didn't know SWTOR added a new class, but this is the Patheon thread.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Incredible. Great work, team. Keep going!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I'm going to be controversial here and say I don't hate it, actually, aside from the face having some young Logan vibes :colbert:

If they did a retro art style like what Monsters & Memories is going for, it could be nice. I'd take a lowish-poly, action figure-y but very consistent art style over a mishmash of Unity assets of varying qualities any day of the week. Hell, the best art style they had going so far was the greyboxing :v:

The problem is that this is the 3rd or 4th time they've changed the art around and who knows what the gently caress this game is going to even be about anymore.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

cmdrk posted:

I'm going to be controversial here and say I don't hate it, actually, aside from the face having some young Logan vibes :colbert:

If they did a retro art style like what Monsters & Memories is going for, it could be nice. I'd take a lowish-poly, action figure-y but very consistent art style over a mishmash of Unity assets of varying qualities any day of the week. Hell, the best art style they had going so far was the greyboxing :v:

The problem is that this is the 3rd or 4th time they've changed the art around and who knows what the gently caress this game is going to even be about anymore.

Same tbh, I do actually prefer this look over their old, just annoyed that it's ANOTHER art overhaul while the game has less playable classes now than it did a few years ago. (Druid, Warrior and Ranger were all playable during previous pre alpha streams but have not been in the game for well over a year or two now due to the major engine changes.)

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 7, 2023

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I don't hate it either, but it's not great and it seems like a weird change in direction. Pantheon sure seems like it's got bigger problems than its art direction...

EDIT: It really seems like a good part of their existing fanbase doesn't like the graphics change and I really doubt this is going to draw in substantial numbers of new fans so it's really just puzzling

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 11, 2023

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

This dude loving rules lol

Grokma
Sep 8, 2023
I like the rock bear, he looks... Dangerous.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnfycnyFpNc

Official art update.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

:coffeepal:

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

One step closer to release

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

doomisland posted:

One step closer to release

excited for the "we've decided to redesign the core gameplay to appeal to a wider playerbase" announcement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Can't wait for the battle royal mode announcement.

Seriously though, I guess they are trying to bring the new generation to their game that's been in development for a decade, but who are these young kinds that want to play Everquest reloaded? Is that audience larger than the 20-30% of EQ hardliners they're going to lose by shifting like this?