Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

They really want to live in a cyberpunk dystopia where everything is an asset owned by some corporation and someone pops up to charge you a nickel every time you take a breath.

What happens if you're broke, do you become an indentured servant to pay off your oxygen debt?

I think, very charitably, that the idea works the other way around.

Imagine a city where a bunch of people have opted-in to donate a certain amount of money for the sake of planting trees. By planting a tree with this, you get to provide the service people want, trees getting planted, in exchange for a cut of the donated money. All this without needing any managing organization (appart from themselves of course, which immediately defeats the stated benefit).

Where this becomes even further stupid is that I can't imagine a way to prevent people from setting up tree-less beacons to collect money without having to do any of the work.

Well, it's also stupid because it assumes that this would be more efficient than a simple non-profit that collects donation and plants trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

OneEightHundred posted:

The idea of a digital collectible isn't really any worse than any other kind of collectible, but like most things, it would be flat-out 100% improved by not being on a blockchain.

The only benefits of it being on the blockchain are a.) scamming and b.) not having to be legally responsible for operating a second-hand trading marketplace.

Physical collectibles, even ones designed to be so at birth, are limited by the physical world. Nobody is going to fire up the Beanie Baby factory again. But digital collectible scarcity is entirely contrived. The only reason you can't have infinite WoW mounts is because Blizzard says so. The only type of digital collectible that makes sense is something like a collection of obscure video game roms, which can be satisfying to own, but still infinitely reproducible and freely shared.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ponzicar posted:

Physical collectibles, even ones designed to be so at birth, are limited by the physical world. Nobody is going to fire up the Beanie Baby factory again. But digital collectible scarcity is entirely contrived. The only reason you can't have infinite WoW mounts is because Blizzard says so. The only type of digital collectible that makes sense is something like a collection of obscure video game roms, which can be satisfying to own, but still infinitely reproducible and freely shared.
Physical scarcity is contrived too, Hasbro can print out new Black Lotus cards any time they want. A lot of people can, and the only thing stopping them is the contrived idea that a graphic design is private property and the contrived idea that it's only real if it came off of a Hasbro-authorized printing press (as opposed to, say, French-suited playing cards where it doesn't matter who printed them).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Aramis posted:

I think, very charitably, that the idea works the other way around.

Imagine a city where a bunch of people have opted-in to donate a certain amount of money for the sake of planting trees. By planting a tree with this, you get to provide the service people want, trees getting planted, in exchange for a cut of the donated money. All this without needing any managing organization (appart from themselves of course, which immediately defeats the stated benefit).

Where this becomes even further stupid is that I can't imagine a way to prevent people from setting up tree-less beacons to collect money without having to do any of the work.

Well, it's also stupid because it assumes that this would be more efficient than a simple non-profit that collects donation and plants trees.

Reminds me vaugely of that libertarian paradise story where the guy wakes up in the morning and decides which sewer system to hook up to and poo poo like that.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I think it was a bit before nfts but there was also a period where bitcoiners were getting excited about owning a colour, and then any time someone posted an image using that colour you got some money. Madness.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

I think it was a bit before nfts but there was also a period where bitcoiners were getting excited about owning a colour, and then any time someone posted an image using that colour you got some money. Madness.

Yeah, VitalSigns wasn't wrong with "cyberpunk dystopia where everything is an asset owned by some corporation", it's just that some of the crypto folks envision themselves as the corporation.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

OneEightHundred posted:

French-suited playing cards

I have never heard this term before and now I want some of the other suited decks, especially Spanish

Aramis posted:

As a member of my city's tree board this is basically what we do. We lost a lot of mature trees due to storms and the extreme heat this year so we're doing another tree seedling giveaway this fall to help people replace them. We're buying 1000 native trees from a local nursery with donated money from local businesses.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

vortmax posted:

I have never heard this term before and now I want some of the other suited decks, especially Spanish

My father had a deck for playing Skat that looks like it followed the French suits but used the German face card names

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Boxturret posted:

There are already a bunch of corporations that "own" various colors in the context of their industry.

https://www.businessinsider.com/colors-that-are-trademarked-2012-9?op=1

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

NFTers fundamentally don’t understand that ownership goes only as far as their capability to enforce it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

It probably would have used smart contracts, then you just need every website on the internet to join up on this system where Jim from Bitcoin gets .00001 cents for every pixel of #bd174d in every image on the internet.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The idea was that other NFT collections (e.g. rugfools) would opt-in to this in exchange for legitimacy and exposure. They thought they could reach a point where any color-centric NFT collection that doesn't participate in this would be considered "less valuable" than one that does.

1) FOMO-traumatized people would buy colors, partly because they would be fooled by the misleading marketing that implied a much larger scope.
2) These same people would then be incentivized to create opted-in color-centric NFT collections in order to increase the value of their color investment.
3) The more NFT collections do this, the more legitimate the whole scheme becomes
4) Virtuous cycle!

Still absolutely loving stupid, but not quite as delusional as monetizing every picture on the internet.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 7, 2023

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Neito posted:

Reminds me vaugely of that libertarian paradise story where the guy wakes up in the morning and decides which sewer system to hook up to and poo poo like that.

Not sure if it's this one, but this is a classic:

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/l-p-d-libertarian-police-department

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sophy Wackles posted:

There are already a bunch of corporations that "own" various colors in the context of their industry.

https://www.businessinsider.com/colors-that-are-trademarked-2012-9?op=1
Industry specific and only really gives you advertising coherence? Boring.

What if vantablack, but you're not a chemist? Or in fact have no real marketable skills besides trawling through color spaces looking for neat colors. Now we're talking crypto.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Bright Bart posted:

What are the most ridiculous use cases for a coin? I think I've seen 'You can use XXX to speed up transfers of XXX, and also pay for for admission into a pool where you could win more XXX. These not only give XXX functionality other coins lack but "eats" the coin so you don't have to worry about endless inflation.'.

women's health issues on the bockchain. the Dobbs leak, and then the actual deathblow had a bunch of stupid bros krammer into the issue and being smug.

in fact really any real world issue. a bunch of stupid bros WILL krammer in and shout "buttcoin" like its a magic spell that makes badthing better. the Afghanistan withdraw, the texas freeze, wildfires.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Permanent immutable records of a health care decision a bunch of freaks want to ban? Great!!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

women's health issues on the bockchain. the Dobbs leak, and then the actual deathblow had a bunch of stupid bros krammer into the issue and being smug.

in fact really any real world issue. a bunch of stupid bros WILL krammer in and shout "buttcoin" like its a magic spell that makes badthing better. the Afghanistan withdraw, the texas freeze, wildfires.

I could just see how lovely that could go:. "This months menstrual cycle nft hasn't been uploaded, you have 2 days to comply before we arrest you".

People: do you even understand biological functions?

It'll be the orb except women will be putting it in their vaginas.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I could just see how lovely that could go:. "This months menstrual cycle nft hasn't been uploaded, you have 2 days to comply before we arrest you".

People: do you even understand biological functions?

lol you don't insert the orb, the orb absorbs you

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

PhazonLink posted:

a bunch of stupid bros WILL krammer in and shout "buttcoin" like its a magic spell that makes badthing better. the Afghanistan withdraw, the texas freeze, wildfires.

I recall a proposed use case for blockchain to keep constant track of the temperature of some good or product that is spoiled if it ever reaches above some threshold temperature, which was countered by realizing that they already have the ability to keep track of this with a temperature-sensitive sticker that costs pennies.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
not to slightly derail into Musk. Muskrats would also say dumb poo poo like "lol musk should fly a rocket into the hurricane to stop it or dsetroy it."

a child playing Pretend with anime or game moves/attacks is always cringe but kinda cute. a grown man thinking another man, a lumpy white 50 yearold south african Apartheid guy is a real life ironman rick is super cringe.

also the fact that their mentality is in the form of two pop culture things is sad. yeah dude, youre a cultured renaissance Man

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Has anyone ever found a non-scam use for blockchain?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sophy Wackles posted:

Of course, it's an extremely useful and promising technology, actually. The thing about any product, service, or person using or promoting a blockchain solution is that you don't have to do any work to verify the legitimacy of the product/service/person. As soon as they mention blockchain, you immediately know the whole thing is bullshit.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

please, it’s called The Probe, and it's inserted into… another.. orifice.
original idea do not steal.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sophy Wackles posted:

Several otherwise failing power plants are now running at full capacity, and several novel uses for old tires have been devised, all thanks to blockchain!

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Sophy Wackles posted:

Money laundering, just as long as you don't mind the money being either forever traceable to the illegal source or tainted by a tumbler. Works great for North Korea!

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Sophy Wackles posted:

"Regulatory arbitrage" which mostly means "money laundering" but also means "making it difficult to legally define who is doing the crimes."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

OneEightHundred posted:

"Regulatory arbitrage" which mostly means "money laundering" but also means "making it difficult to legally define who is doing the crimes."

bitcoin fixes this by making it so that everyone is doing crimes!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Plan R posted:

I don't know what this means but it seemed relevant --

I would suggest no longer trusting your instincts.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

Some of the folks in my old research group were briefly trying to use it for some sort of proof of custodianship logs, and a few other things.

I think we'll probably see some extremely boring uses for it crop up in the next 20 years.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was very bullish on it weaseling it's way into enterprise business to business not least of all because every cloud provider hit the point they were begging everyone "hey check out our Blockchain support."

But that specific window basically closed when AI hit the news cycle. Especially considering you can just "turn on" a cloud service AI and get it to chatbot with a C suite rube but just "turning on" Blockchain in the cloud gets you a ledger that is actively hostile to most ways of doing business.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

cruft posted:

Some of the folks in my old research group were briefly trying to use it for some sort of proof of custodianship logs, and a few other things.

I think we'll probably see some extremely boring uses for it crop up in the next 20 years.

Can't all the clunkiness of "the blockchain" just be replaced by a spreadsheet shared on a torrent client in this regard?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Dude already filled his kid's head with all sorts of nonsense about home ownership and paying for a vacation from savings. Tricking his kid into flushing his own money down the toilet to drive the point home feels pointlessly cruel.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PurpleXVI posted:

Can't all the clunkiness of "the blockchain" just be replaced by a spreadsheet shared on a torrent client in this regard?
No, that's going the entirely wrong direction.

A Blockchain should not be peer to peer. The different entities engaged should feel free to integrate and host their own servers but that is purely out of a validation and replication need i.e. the easiest way to tell the ledger is fine is to run all the logic on the ledger and then keep the ledger if it's good like you're the server.

A spreadsheet has no logic controlling who can interact with it when. A custodianship Blockchain could for example require info A and counter signatures 1&2 at step 1, require info A,B,C and counter signatures 2&3 at step 2, then require only info C and counter signatures 3&4 at step 3. If entity 4 has no need to know info A and B in earlier steps it can be encrypted while still allowing entity 4 to know the chain of transfer.

You know what else does this? Any privilege based enterprise ledger. You know what stands up naturally without a gaggle of cryptography experts designing special key authority schemas? Any privilege based enterprise ledger. You know what requires barely breathing computer janitors to maintain instead of cryptography experts? Any privilege based enterprise ledger.

There is some theoretical value in setting up a common ground ledger between absolutely oil-and-water competition hating entities. But the complex nature means you can still have bad actors working to get a one up over someone versus just petitioning ANSI for standard communication formats that don't involve cryptography brain meats melting out of your ears.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

I just don't understand when a decentralized ledger would ever be needed at all. Even if entities don't trust each other on ledger entries, there are things like audits, government regulation, etc. Or a trusted third party can host and manage the ledger.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Sophy Wackles posted:

I just don't understand when a decentralized ledger would ever be needed at all. Even if entities don't trust each other on ledger entries, there are things like audits, government regulation, etc. Or a trusted third party can host and manage the ledger.

The problem with government regulation is that then someone might make you pay taxes. And yes, all crypto/blockchain solutions praise decentralization and then reinvent centralization badly anyway, so you do in fact end up with a "trusted" third party hosting things in most cases.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sophy Wackles posted:

The International Atomic Energy Agency, for instance, has no higher authority to appeal to. So member countries could, in theory, benefit from some of "nobody can agree on a central authority but we all want to assure certain things" technology.

Whether blockchain is actually going to be the best solution remains to be seen. It's far from clear that it will. As you say, the current scheme of "everybody audits everybody" may ultimately prove to be a superior solution.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

cruft posted:

The problem is that blockchains never fix the hard part. They provide an immutable ledger, yes, and you can show it hasn't been tampered with. But they can never prove that the data entered into the ledger was valid to begin with. So every "trustless" blockchain project has to have some trusted entities to enter the data into the ledger and guess what, that's always where the fraud happens.

Have you ever heard of a bank heist where they hack into the mainframe and move the money over to their account? No of course not. They work the entry points, that's how you fraudulently steal money.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

If bitcoin was bad, then that would mean that this massive tire burning plant I built is also bad, and that can't possibly be true.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

HappyHippo posted:

The problem is that blockchains never fix the hard part. They provide an immutable ledger, yes, and you can show it hasn't been tampered with. But they can never prove that the data entered into the ledger was valid to begin with. So every "trustless" blockchain project has to have some trusted entities to enter the data into the ledger and guess what, that's always where the fraud happens.

Have you ever heard of a bank heist where they hack into the mainframe and move the money over to their account? No of course not. They work the entry points, that's how you fraudulently steal money.

Someone didn't watch a little documentary called "Office Space".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Sophy Wackles posted:

Imagine a parallel universe where concepts like "government" and "age of consent laws" were never invented and you'll understand

The real answer is that blockchain wasn't designed to fulfill literally any use case other than digital currency, and the failed push to invent other uses only happened after it became obvious that bitcoin fundamentally does not work as a currency.