Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Punk returned, never once went full heel

What a ripoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

inthesto posted:

As somebody who fell out of pro wrestling in the early 00s and came back in because of Kenny Omega, this is pretty much my reaction to CM Punk. I understand that he was a very important person for a lot of fans in a specific time period, but I missed it and so all that goodwill is lost on me.

Yeah, he had no cache for me either. He seemed fine when he first came back and like a big deal for folks he wrestled against. I liked that he seemed to have decent politics, and his feud with MJF was fun. On his Collision return he at least seemed savvy enough to realize he was gonna need to be heel outside of Chicago, but it felt like we were winding up in a codyverse situation.
I remember getting somewhat annoyed both times that he was showing up everywhere, but understood it was a big deal to some, the way Sting's comeback was to me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
If it makes you feel better, a lot of us here including myself were around for all the Punk stuff that made us like him and now we all hate him just as much as anyone else :shrug:

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
The hype around CM Punk’s return to wrestling helped make me aware of AEW’s existence after giving up on the Fed 15 years ago, so I give him partial credit (blame?) for getting me back into wrestling.

I never saw him before AEW, but I liked him. The MJF feud was great and, although he wasn’t nearly the athletic specimen of AEW’s other top stars, he was a gifted storyteller and he was never boring. The Brawl Out poo poo was sad and embarrassing, but I hoped everyone could get over it and play ball. Oh well.

It was Bryan Danielson’s choice of AEW that really got me to check it out. I had never seen him wrestle, but I knew he had options, so AEW must have something going for it if he picked it. That logic held up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crappers and Constipators unite

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I think the attraction around Punk stems from his time before AEW, at least for me it does. He was a dickhead in ROH but his character work was intriguing and in WWE, he cut promos that seemed to ignore decorum and showed how the sausage was made( like the original pipe bomb for example).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

cagliostr0 posted:

He's not even top 5 in AEW

Kingston
Moxley
Jericho
Callis
MJF

Yea but that's not his fault, he'd be top 3 in the WWE easily. Possibly top 1.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
lol for real some folks

https://twitter.com/JasonKensyc/status/1699801750700732605

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

If it makes you feel better, a lot of us here including myself were around for all the Punk stuff that made us like him and now we all hate him just as much as anyone else :shrug:

lol, this was me

being very self assured that my wife would figure out how great ol' Punker was eventually and instead I joined her in wanting the dude off my screen

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I stopped caring about Punk drama a long time ago so all of the ~discourse~ was just annoying. If he wrestled good on the TV, cool. Otherwise I have no energy for the bitter broken down guy who peaked 10 years ago making snide references to controversy, because instead I get to Breathe with the Switchblade every weekend now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s weird to say you hate him imo.

I don’t hate CM Punk, he’s not exactly up there with wrestlings greatest monsters who deserve that kind of derision, it’s just really loving funny that he self-destructed repeatedly.

Making fun of the fact he just couldn’t stop stepping on his own dick is also really funny.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s weird to say you hate him imo.

I don’t hate CM Punk, he’s not exactly up there with wrestlings greatest monsters who deserve that kind of derision, it’s just really loving funny that he self-destructed repeatedly.

Making fun of the fact he just couldn’t stop stepping on his own dick is also really funny.

Stepping on it, getting elbowed in it, whatever it takes.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I came to wrestling for AEW and Kenny Omega, and I was present for Punk's MMA experiment in real time so that anyone would want to go to bat for Punk is strange and funny to me

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I suspect both shows draw a perfect 1.0 in the precious dave demo every week.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

this guy rules

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

One of my buddy’s kids thinks it’s the funniest thing in the world to sing “are you ready to poo, are you ready for piss?!” whenever they play Kenny’s theme and I think he’d do gangbusters on fed stan twitter

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Who would be so immature

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
That's the God Of Pro Wrestling, dammit

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

History Comes Inside! posted:

One of my buddy’s kids thinks it’s the funniest thing in the world to sing “are you ready to poo, are you ready for piss?!” whenever they play Kenny’s theme and I think he’d do gangbusters on fed stan twitter

He’s right it is funny

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sleepwalkers posted:

Wrestling ad rates are notoriously, historically awful

AEW's demographics are young, educated and wealthy and draw a higher caliber of advertiser and better ad rates.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

AEW's demographics are young, educated and wealthy and draw a higher caliber of advertiser and better ad rates.

And very good looking.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you've accidentally stolen that great parody song from here and made up a story to post it. happens to us all every day.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
this is one of those things where because I don't have a Neilson box, I'm not counted, isn't it?

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?
They should advertise that natural male enhancement stuff during a "Rock Hard" Juice Robinson match. Maybe he could plug it in a backstage segment?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Text code JUICE to 369369

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coolness Averted posted:

this is one of those things where because I don't have a Neilson box, I'm not counted, isn't it?

Correct, you don't matter.

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

World Princess posted:

They should advertise that natural male enhancement stuff during a "Rock Hard" Juice Robinson match. Maybe he could plug it in a backstage segment?

"Order BlueChew now using code RICKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY for 10% off your first order!"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MassRafTer posted:

Correct, you don't matter.

I watch live on the TBS/TNT app so I'm one of those phantom 4 million WBD were bragging about!

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

AEW's demographics are young *, educated and wealthy and draw a higher caliber of advertiser and better ad rates.

* by wrestling standards. Median age of Dynamite viewers is still 10 years over the median age for the US population.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Atillo posted:

* by wrestling standards. Median age of Dynamite viewers is still 10 years over the median age for the US population.

No, by television standards it is a young audience. The TV audience is incredibly old.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

closet statist posted:

"Order BlueChew now using code RICKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY for 10% off your first order!"

Does it keep Cardblade upright?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

r/squaredcircle posted:

My partner noped out just the other day. We've watched dynamite together weekly since it's debut and most of the ppvs but she was basically done watching guys mutilate themselves live on camera. Especially when Mox and BD are gouging and tearing at their faces and have chunks of eyebrow hanging off and poo poo. Just gross. Say what you will about kid friendly wwe "I look like a goat" DBry but at least he was possible to look at without losing your lunch.

I missed the match where the chunk of eyebrow was hanging off either Mox or BD, it sounds awesome

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I missed the match where the chunk of eyebrow was hanging off either Mox or BD, it sounds awesome

It was at Wembley, but also wasn't something the cameras were zoomed in on. So it's probably one of those "I heard about it through a game of telephone," things, like most of the concern trolling about wrestling violence.

We invited a friend to watch the all out ppv who specifically has some ptsd about violence and previously declined to watch wrestling with us out of concern for triggering his ptsd, because watching MMA has in the past done so. The guy had a blast, and specifically commented on how obvious it was this wasn't real fighting.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
Back in the day I was kind of like la knight with frosted tips and baggy jeans.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Yeah that sounds like it whips rear end

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Since I’m in the middle of a protracted labor dispute with the NHRA I’m gonna ask Tony khan if I can have punk’s spot.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
"He's the kind of cool person I wanted to be when I was a kid 25 years ago", this will surely resonate with the youth of today

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
if teenage me from the 90's became a star,

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Isn't LA Knight's gimmick just a Rock impression? I think a lot of people in the 90s wanted to be The Rock so that checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah