Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I was really excited to buy a car with adaptive cruise when I was shopping around last year, but I have to say, I wasn't that big of a fan of Eyesight when I test drove a 2020 Outback at the dealership. The way you had to engage it was really distracting, and there was at least one point where I thought it was on but wasn't.

Guessing it's something I just need to get used to and it may even be better in newer models. It's like the live fuel economy gauge on the Outback, I hated that at first thinking it was just a distraction, but now I love it. Same with auto start/stop in every car I've driven with the feature, except for a 2023 Chevy Silverado rental truck I recently drove. I was honestly really impressed with both the auto start and lane assist on it (though I hated the size of the truck, there's no reason a passenger vehicle should be eye level with semi drivers).

The auto stop/start didn't suck anywhere near as much as I was used to. And I do like the idea of automatic emergency braking. I've never been in an accident, but I've had plenty of oh poo poo moments with unexpected stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

From what I’ve experienced so far true hybrids have the only reliable and non awkward start/stop - they can just start the motor again by driving the engine with the electric motor.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 26, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

From what I’ve experienced so far true hybrids have the only reliable and non awkward start/stop - they can just start the motor again by driving the engines with the electric motor.

Surprisingly manual transmissions can also be reliable and non-awkward because they're re-starting when you put the clutch to the floor, not when you're already trying to move forward so you don't get the janky/jerky thing.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sadi posted:

How many miles and what year? Driving at low boost isn’t bad for turbos. Your issue sounds either like nothing or possibly a faulty waste gate actuator. Worked in the industry for a while and lower temperatures, pressures and speeds are never an issue for turbos.

It's a 2017 WRX with 50k miles. I'll probably be taking it to a popular Subaru mechanic one of these weeks to get it looked at.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

This is literally why I bought my Subaru. As long as I replace every part over time, most of which are available for a decade-plus of model years (more if we consider the Forester and Impreza as sources), I will have a car that lives longer than me.

Granted, it's already 30 years old and those replacements are coming faster and faster, but buying a car part by part is cheaper than buying one all at once, right?

...right? :ohdear:
This is all well and good until you consider rust on major structural components. :(

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fifty Three posted:

This is all well and good until you consider rust on major structural components. :(

I got a desert car! None rust detected!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I like the eyesight but why oh why does it have to beep all. The. drat. Time.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

net work error posted:

It's a 2017 WRX with 50k miles. I'll probably be taking it to a popular Subaru mechanic one of these weeks to get it looked at.

Seems like a reasonable plan. Those have pneumatic waste gates. My guess for most plausible things would be waste gate related, or exhaust gas leak related.

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

You can configure the 2019 to behave like the 24 and vice versa. Unfortunately the options are clear as mud

I’ll probably get the eyesight, I’m safety minded . I’m only nervous because it is a bit difficult to find consistent info, I guess because it changes from year to year. I just hope I don’t end up hating it for a car I plan to keep multiple years. Or I hope at least the setting to turn it off is persistent after restarting the car. Anyway it sounds like a net positive though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sent from the other Subaru thread:

PainterofCrap posted:

I have searched this thread but found nothing relevant.

Working on my neighbor's daughter's '09 Forester, 2.5, no turbo, not a CA car (we're in New Jersey).

It ran like crap when she bought it because it had 160K on it (the timing belt was done by the PO, who was the only owner) and it seems as though it had never had the plugs or wires replaced. I replaced them with NGKs; the wires were also replaced with NGKs.

The car ran great after that...until the boots started popping out.

I assured her that this was probably more maintenance debt. Cue a 10-day journey through hell removing the valve covers, discovering that the cover bolts had rust-welded themselves to the cover. Bitched the heads. I had to grind one off on the driver's side, and literally pry the cover off on the passenger side, cracking that cover in the process, and damaging the injectors and the fuel rail.

BUT I got the gaskets replaced. The plug galley seals were hard as rocks. I cleaned out the tubes, but they weren't bad. Surprisingly little oil. The new plugs were torqued to spec as I am paranoid about aluminum heads.

So, imagine my surprise when I finally buttoned it all up today...and it's still popping the boots off - but so far, only on the driver's side. I checked, and the galley seals are all in place, so I didn't screw that up.

After extensive research, I smeared the boot internal ends with dielectric grease because the boots weren't able to be pushed all the way in. Eventually got all 4 to *snap* on, and sit tight...but the driver's side ones are still under pressure:

https://i.imgur.com/Zl1FPz1.mp4

The #2 will >pop< like a cork from a wine bottle, if I pull it free.

The #4 will keep pushing itself out until it misfires.

#s 1&3 are holding tight on the passenger side, so far.

I am stumped. My options seem to be:

- Drive a turkey basting syringe needle through the boot to create a Farmer Bob pressure relief;
- Buy Subaru factory plug wires and hope that they grab the plug terminal a lot tighter

e: ordered new wires from Subaru. The service department claimed that they have never heard of it - but probably wouldn't tell me over the phone, even if they knew.

What's interesting is that the pressure will keep pushing the boot out after it pops free, which tells me that it's not a crankcase ventilation / tube seal leak. There are also no other signs of excessive backpressure, such as oil collecting in the plug tubes or at the PCV tubes

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 6, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Sent from the other Subaru thread:

e: ordered new wires from Subaru. The service department claimed that they have never heard of it - but probably wouldn't tell me over the phone, even if they knew.

What's interesting is that the pressure will keep pushing the boot out after it pops free, which tells me that it's not a crankcase ventilation / tube seal leak. There are also no other signs of excessive backpressure, such as oil collecting in the plug tubes or at the PCV tubes

Factory wires have entirely solved this issue on my daughter's '08 which was just repeatedly losing connection on a couple of plugs to the point she knew how to deal with it on her own. I made zero other changes a year ago when I did this and it's been fine ever since. I'm not sure it was actually blowing them out, but it kinda seemed like it based on how far they were disconnected now that I see what you're dealing with.

While you might have something else going on here, remember that aftermarket parts have always been junk but are even worse in the last few years.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Motronic posted:

Factory wires have entirely solved this issue on my daughter's '08 which was just repeatedly losing connection on a couple of plugs to the point she knew how to deal with it on her own.

Well! Will post results tonight or tomorrow. Thank you!

E: buttonholed a mechanic at the dealership who made the mistake of wandering into the Parts Dept. Showed him the video.

He said the issue is extremely rare and almost always involves aftermarket wires, a clogged PVC valve, or both. So a PVC valve was acquired.

VVV https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969337

e2: Wires and PCV valve replaced. Issue seems to be corrected! After a good hooning around on local roads & up to 80MPH on I-295, everything has stayed put. I'll wait to hear from the owner.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 7, 2023

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

There's another Subaru thread?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dear Thread, I never thought it would happen to me.

Got a check engine light on the commute home. Got it scanned and pulled P000B and C1422 which are B camshaft position slow response bank 1 and VDC communication error. I read that the VDC is sometimes caused by a dirty ABS sensor which thankfully was my case so down to only code.

Replacing the camshaft sensor doesn't look too crazy so I'm going to give it a try. Is that something better off being replaced on both sides at once or is it fine to only do the problem one?

net work error fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 7, 2023

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
We’re moving from Texas to Colorado in a few months and I’ve started looking to replace my RWD Mustang with an AWD car that’s more family friendly.

In Subaru land I’ve found a few low-mileage 2019 Outback 3.6R Limiteds that would be about a straight swap price wise. Are there any red flags with the 6-cylinder engine? Figure it’ll very rarely go off road and will function more as a commuter car at high altitudes.

I’m not looking forward to a CVT but I’m like the person a few pages ago that would vastly prefer a wagon with clearance and passenger room but can’t justify a Mercedes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you absolutely have to have AWD, go for it. But as a Florida boy who moved to Colorado, you almost certainly don't need it. Get yourself a set of good winter tires and open up your options.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

you'll want winter tires regardless, especially if you're not in the front range

e: also impreza wagons are available with a fun pedal even if the outback isn't

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 7, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cactus Ghost posted:

you'll want winter tires regardless, especially if you're not in the front range

e: also impreza wagons are available with a fun pedal even if the outback isn't

Not anymore :(
https://www.subaru.com/compare/trims.html?compare=IMP&year=2024&navSection=Build%20and%20Price

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yes, good point. Didn't mean to imply otherwise, but I accidentally did.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

gently caress this stupid country

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

net work error posted:

Dear Thread, I never thought it would happen to me.

Got a check engine light on the commute home. Got it scanned and pulled P000B and C1422 which are B camshaft position slow response bank 1 and VDC communication error. I read that the VDC is sometimes caused by a dirty ABS sensor which thankfully was my case so down to only code.

Replacing the camshaft sensor doesn't look too crazy so I'm going to give it a try. Is that something better off being replaced on both sides at once or is it fine to only do the problem one?

Started the car yesterday afternooon to drive home and the light was no longer on? Not sure so going to give it a few days and see if it comes back on before trying to replace anything.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

there's a 2004 sti near me for 15k, claims to run fine and have a smog certificate in hand (this is california, so that matters). sun-damaged clear coat appears to be the only downside. it would be a dumb as hell purchase but god drat i want it

e: what are the potential ways this could go badly for me? i know i'd want to thoroughly examine for rust, especially inside wheel wells. what else? feel the synchros? shake the wheel bearings?

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 11, 2023

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Cactus Ghost posted:

there's a 2003 sti near me for 15k, claims to run fine and have a smog certificate in hand (this is california, so that matters). sun-damaged clear coat appears to be the only downside. it would be a dumb as hell purchase but god drat i want it

e: what are the potential ways this could go badly for me? i know i'd want to thoroughly examine for rust, especially inside wheel wells. what else? feel the synchros? shake the wheel bearings?

Cool car, but it's 20 years old. I wouldn't do a 20 year old anything and count on it to get me to work and it's a Subaru Turbo so lots of things could go wrong. All that said, I'd buy it as a weekend car and be prepared to spend 10k on fixing it myself.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

daslog posted:

Cool car, but it's 20 years old. I wouldn't do a 20 year old anything and count on it to get me to work and it's a Subaru Turbo so lots of things could go wrong. All that said, I'd buy it as a weekend car and be prepared to spend 10k on fixing it myself.

I feel attacked as I look over to my '05 Forester XT that hasn't moved since May as I wait for good weather (and continuously procrastinate) to diagnose a code for running lean. :negative:

At least I have the ID.4 for doing normal driving. It's unfortunately enabling me to procrastinate but it was not fun when the Forester was my only car. Particularly when it sprung a significant oil leak and, even after fixing it, continues to lose a concerning amount of oil; about 3/4 QT every fuel fill-up, about 200-250 some miles.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Cactus Ghost posted:

there's a 2003 sti near me for 15k, claims to run fine and have a smog certificate in hand (this is california, so that matters). sun-damaged clear coat appears to be the only downside. it would be a dumb as hell purchase but god drat i want it

The STi was not a thing in 2003 in the US so be aware that it’s either JDM or home brew conversion. I’d want it looked over by someone who knows Subarus.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

thats a typo, it's 2004

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

Cactus Ghost posted:

thats a typo, it's 2004

Did 04 have the bullet proof trannies? I know they have the 6 speed but I can't remember if they had issues. (though I might be thinking of the 08 Eggs (hatchback))

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Is there anything I can do to sharpen the handling of my 09 2.5i? It seems to have some sort of aftermarket exhaust on it, as the mufflers have dual exit pipes each and it has a deep hum around 1500 rpm.

Any way to identify the brand?

I've thought about some swaybars or something to lessen bodyroll, but at the end of the day, it's a non turbo commuter, so speed will never really happen without all the moneys, but ride comfort is a plus on the daily drive and trips.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I think that car doesn’t have a rear sway bar, I had an 09 OBS and it didn’t. You could probably get a stock takeoff from a WRX and bolt it right on. It won’t affect comfort much at all and will roll less.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Picked up a 2020 WRX and I'm shocked at how poor the power delivery is especially in first gear. Seems to be a common complaint and the general answer is "get a tune". Since the car is CPO and I'd love to preserve the factory warranty, is there any other way to smooth out the dip between 2k and 4k ish RPM and the complete and total boost cut about 500 RPM prior to redline?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Also interested for the same year, but the answer is probably get a tune. Annoying, I have an Access Port that would work with the car, but it is married to the donor ECU for my 818, and I can't unmarry it until I can power it up. I'll be moving to an open source tune for that since I'll need to disable codes for systems that no longer exist.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

This is also random maybe, but what are these things?

One on each side. Feeling pretty dumb for asking, just kinda curious.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

how does one even pay $15k in a private party transfer? the only kind of cash purchases that big i have personal experience with involved an existing working relationship, is there some kind of escrow or something people use for doing purchases like these between strangers? i'd prefer not to withdraw fifteen thousand dollars in hundred dollar bills if i can avoid it

but i also wouldn't blame him for like, not wanting to take a check or a phone app transfer

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

how does one even pay $15k in a private party transfer?

I've paid cash. Multiple times for way more than that for cars and equipment.

I get that it's really strange for most people, but this is absolutely a thing and it's so not a big deal in things like private party equipment transfers. It's just something that happens every drat day. You show up with a bank bag (read "elementary school pencil case") full of cash.

When you need a loan for $15k? Yes, I get how this is unimaginable. And I have to sign paperwork at the bank every time I take out more than $10k, and it's not just for the federal currency transfer thing, it's extra stuff for their insurance company saying they told me they do not recommend me walking out of their location with over $10k. Yeah, okay, thanks.

If getting $15k tied up or lost is going to ruin your life you should not do this. There are very easy and obvious ways to pay for that level of safety when purchasing a car.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 14, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

it isnt going to ruin my life any more than a twenty year old midlife crisis red flag will, but i get your point. I guess the easy and obvious ways aren't obvious to me. What are they?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

I guess the easy and obvious ways aren't obvious to me. What are they?

Over paying at a commercial establishment like a used car place.

That gives you some semblance of commercial transfer/not gonna get robbed cover. But you're till just as exposed on the quality of the thing you're buying unless you have a real warranty (and no used car warranties are since Doug Demuro ruined it for everyone at carmax with the range rover, etc.....that time is over)

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

amenenema posted:

Picked up a 2020 WRX and I'm shocked at how poor the power delivery is especially in first gear. Seems to be a common complaint and the general answer is "get a tune". Since the car is CPO and I'd love to preserve the factory warranty, is there any other way to smooth out the dip between 2k and 4k ish RPM and the complete and total boost cut about 500 RPM prior to redline?

Get an OTS tune from cobb and actually enjoy driving your car. The stock tune is awful garbage. There isn't another way and you will potentially lose the warranty.

e: I made it a year with my 2020 before I gave up and got the tune. Wish I hadn't waited that long

large hands fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 14, 2023

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

You are not going to catch me traveling around with that kind of cash. Police can seize that money https://endforfeiture.com/

15k? I searched google maps for "auto escrow" and found nothing so I have no idea how it's supposed to be done

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Homeboy at the dealership I'm working with told me I could just write a check, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

2017 WRX still with a stock tune checking in