Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Do you guys always run the same kits/guns? So you get a feel for them etc? I've been using anything and everything I've found while doing scav runs but I'm starting to think maybe sticking with one particular gun and set up maybe something to consider.

Depends on how far I am into the wipe cycle.

Early levels I just use w/e I find and bring home usually.

Late levels is when I start to build weapons to maximize stats.

Though if someone has good ammo in a stock AK and can shoot people in the head reliably, it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I haven't played for a full wipe but the one before I bought like 10 of those SAG 545 AKs because they were super cheap on flea and had ergo through the roof. It's a good head tapper with BS/PP/PS if that's your play style. The ADS even with a magnified optic was super quick after adding a foregrip and fancy ergo grip.

The new AVT looks like it's pretty OP now but I don't know what it's going for on the flea

The AVT can't be listed on the flea by players and arguably the SVT is the better weapon, because with no ability to mod, the recoil makes the auto on the AVT pretty much useless.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mellow_ posted:

Depends on how far I am into the wipe cycle.

Early levels I just use w/e I find and bring home usually.

Late levels is when I start to build weapons to maximize stats.

Though if someone has good ammo in a stock AK and can shoot people in the head reliably, it doesn't really matter.

i can shoot people in the head reliably and i still want my guns to have as much ergo as possible and usually a silencer and at least a couple mods improving recoil so that if you do get in a spraydown fight you've got an advantage and oh hey at that point fuckit just build a whole modded gun. like yeah you can make anything work with good ammo in it, but the actual cost of basic modding of guns relative to how much of an advantage you get is extremely favorable, especially early on

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've installed SPTarkov this evening out of curiosity and I'm still awful, I'm surprised by how often bosses are on those maps too, because I've never seen most of them on the live game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I've installed SPTarkov this evening out of curiosity and I'm still awful, I'm surprised by how often bosses are on those maps too, because I've never seen most of them on the live game.

Yeah their base spawn rates are much higher by default in SPT than on live. Like 25-33% for most of them, iirc.

E: I hope you like getting mercilessly murdered by the goons. Birdeye and Big Pipe are real assholes.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 6, 2023

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
It doesn't matter if i have 30k roubles, or 30m roubles, I'm probably bringing a suppressed mosin with a pu scope and a pistol in either situation unless a quest requires something else.

Before tarkov I was playing a lot of dayz, so the mosin just feels familiar and comfortable to me, even after like 6 wipes of tarkov.

Though I've really been enjoying using a minimally modified akm this wipe. Throw the buttpad on, use the donger grip and a cheap muzzle device with one of the side mount red dots and its surprisingly controllable. And ps slaps most players at this point of the wipe.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I’m a big spt-head so if you want some mod/balance advice shoot me a pm, I don’t want to clog up the sweaty boi talk.

Reminder that default spt is still using live eft AI so you’re going to get headeyes from across the map through six bushes until you tune. There are mods now with Madden like sliders so you can tweak to whatever you deem your level of fun.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i can shoot people in the head reliably and i still want my guns to have as much ergo as possible and usually a silencer and at least a couple mods improving recoil so that if you do get in a spraydown fight you've got an advantage and oh hey at that point fuckit just build a whole modded gun. like yeah you can make anything work with good ammo in it, but the actual cost of basic modding of guns relative to how much of an advantage you get is extremely favorable, especially early on

Yeah of course. Running a modded P90 because of the fire rate used to be one of my gotos. Although I haven't run it lately... hmm... maybe it's time to run them again.

Is 5.7 still a decent round?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
You know you’re getting into a tarkov wipe when you’re at the point where you lose patience with all the dumb “mark xyz” on shoreline quests and just start running them with a silenced glock and SJ6 at night.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

causticBeet posted:

You know you’re getting into a tarkov wipe when you’re at the point where you lose patience with all the dumb “mark xyz” on shoreline quests and just start running them with a silenced glock and SJ6 at night.

I pretty much give up questing every time I make it to the shoreline quests.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Headshot scavs on shoreline with a shotgun while wearing a pompom hat with a broken arm and under the effects of ododoblobobolbous during rain and a full moon 0/20

Yeah nah I'm go no thanks

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

causticBeet posted:

Just let your buddy hop in your chair and run every marker naked with no gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WbD0-CN_YU

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
How hard is it to get max traders without doing regular quests? I assume the daily and weekly quests are too RNG to rely on them for rep gains.

What other important things are locked behind quest completion?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
you can certainly get the levels for it (albeit like 2/3 or more of your xp normally comes from finishing quests so even that would be slowed a lot), but you're going to really struggle to get the rep high enough, if it is even possible at all. also a bunch of the specifically useful stuff be it attachments or meds or w/e else is locked behind quests, so even if the rep was a non-issue, you'd still be getting a pretty neutered max traders.

that said you don't have to go that far into questing to get enough rep to max traders

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Mostly just ammo and guns. 5.45 BT is locked behind punisher 4. M855A1 is behind some peacekeeper quest I forget which. The 7.62 MDR is also somewhere deep in Spa Tour or possibly Wet Job. A decent amount of good attachments, including the AK butt pad, are also locked behind various gunsmith quests.

Really there is a lot but if you are happy with the guns you have then you can ignore it all.

And getting max traders from dailies sounds tough even with the EOD boost. You need 0.60 rep which is 20-40 dailies per trader. You would still probably have to get through ~half of each traders normal quests to reasonably hit max rep.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
tbh even as someone who dislikes all the questing I'd rather just do a bunch of the actual quests than have to brute force some of the insane poo poo that dailies require. especially after the first week you can cheese a ton of progression solo by just keeping a couple sj6s on you

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
All good talk.

I really prefer playing Tarkov solo (not SPT) for some masochistic reason but these are the kind of discussions I miss out on by not hanging out in a voice channel shooting the poo poo.

I rarely get beyond level 30 because I’m a big casual Andy but I would like to play around with max traders this wipe. Kappa is out of reach but I stupidly prep as if I’m gonna try for it anyways.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Keep in mind this is supposed to be one of the shortest wipe cycles in recent memory, so dont feel too bad if you dont hit max traders. Just keep playing your pmc and you'll slowly make progress

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Im a filthy casual too who usually tops out at mid 30s and have very much enjoyed the goon discord this wipe. :getin:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

hello internet posted:

Me but reserve

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

hello internet posted:

Me, but Customs

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
dirty secret to most tarkov maps and getting tasks done is to just play at a steady pace in a clockwise/counter clockwise direction towards your objectives vs bee-lining right at them on drop. unless you got the single closest spawn to where you're trying to go and you can beat everyone there, in which case by all means do that

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm like 0 for 10 on woods for that fuckin convoy quest and I'm seriously considering hiding in a bush for 20 minutes to hopefully kill off every non-scav on the map before I start going for it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

I'm like 0 for 10 on woods for that fuckin convoy quest and I'm seriously considering hiding in a bush for 20 minutes to hopefully kill off every non-scav on the map before I start going for it.

Don't tempt the monkey's paw. The time you do it will be the time the Goons spawn at radio tower lol

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
For shoreline in particular, going afk in a bush for 20 minutes at the start of a round is very powerful. There are always a bunch of snipey boys everywhere for at least the first five minutes who will get you if you don't know the spawns. That's usually how I do my 'place three things' quests on that map and it works great.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if you don't know all the spawns yet, a good approximation for that is 'if someone spawned 200m to my left or to my right, how would they kill me'

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Rahu posted:

For shoreline in particular, going afk in a bush for 20 minutes at the start of a round is very powerful. There are always a bunch of snipey boys everywhere for at least the first five minutes who will get you if you don't know the spawns. That's usually how I do my 'place three things' quests on that map and it works great.

This is the kind of poo poo that is making me not want to play as much recently. Waiting for 10-15min to enter a raid to either: a) get shot immediately by turbo nerds, or b) spend 20 minutes not actually playing the game.

After failing the same task over and over this wipe I went and did the bush strat. Worked just fine.

Of course, I spent more time watching bullshit on YouTube than actually playing the game.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

weekly font posted:

I’m a big spt-head so if you want some mod/balance advice shoot me a pm, I don’t want to clog up the sweaty boi talk.

Reminder that default spt is still using live eft AI so you’re going to get headeyes from across the map through six bushes until you tune. There are mods now with Madden like sliders so you can tweak to whatever you deem your level of fun.

Definitely open to suggestions, but I'm thinking if I hammer it with online difficulty it's going to just improve my game when I go back to online.

But, I've not quite finished Baldurs Gate yet and I started Starfield today too, so gently caress knows when I'm going to actually spend much time trying to improve at Tarkov rather than just dicking around

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

tbh even as someone who dislikes all the questing I'd rather just do a bunch of the actual quests than have to brute force some of the insane poo poo that dailies require. especially after the first week you can cheese a ton of progression solo by just keeping a couple sj6s on you

Sorry, how does one cheese progression with SJ6's? That's an Injector right? (I've never used them because I've never got far enough to have a case)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
if you have to sit in a bush for 20 minutes to do anything why even play. just play the raids. loot the poi you spawn by, fight the other person who spawned in range to get to it first if they turn up, move around the map looting more/less depending on when in the raid you want to arrive at your objective. gather info about the raid by paying attention to where all you're hearing gunshots and how who with what gun is moving around the map. spending 20 minutes killing scavs and looting less-active parts of the map is the good player version of sitting in a bush for 20 minutes and it actually makes you better at the game, richer, and gets you all the random bullshit you need for tasks, which will never happen if you just sit in bushes

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Sorry, how does one cheese progression with SJ6's? That's an Injector right? (I've never used them because I've never got far enough to have a case)

they make it so you can run like 2 or 3x as far in a given period of time. For quests that are actually hard to do solo, they help get you out once you've got your items or if you have to disengage after you ran into someone you can't/don't want to fight, you'll be long gone before they realize what happened. there's still the danger of sprinting into someone, but ime that's quite a bit rarer than you'd think. imo they're more useful for getting out of raids than at the start of a raid, at least for newer players, though people who know the maps really well will use them at the start of a raid to get in position.

they're also super useful economically: yeah they're 50-60k, but when you're completely full of loot and want to almost guarantee an extract it's often worth it to pop one because they'll let you run almost the entire way to any extract even when loaded down with 45kg. you can combine them with other stuff, too. a painkiller or propitol+sj6 makes you really, really hard to kill as long as you're using cover a lot.

there's other poo poo you can combine them with that gives you literally unlimited stamina, albeit with way more drawbacks, but idk when that's really practical

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 7, 2023

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

map is the good player version of sitting in a bush for 20 minutes and it actually makes you better at the game, richer, and gets you all the random bullshit you need for tasks, which will never happen if you just sit in bushes

Sure, but sometimes you just get tired of failing the same task over and over for stupid reasons. Sometimes the bush works, and it sucks every time I have to use it lol

Loading in just to die quickly (or worse, near the end!) on these tasks sucks. The time I spend gearing up again and in queue is probably more than the bush time.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Mellow_ posted:

Sure, but sometimes you just get tired of failing the same task over and over for stupid reasons. Sometimes the bush works, and it sucks every time I have to use it lol

Loading in just to die quickly (or worse, near the end!) on these tasks sucks. The time I spend gearing up again and in queue is probably more than the bush time.

Yeah, it took me about 15 attempts, literally to do the quest with the unknown key because I kept getting murdered on my way to extract or before I could get the key

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Definitely open to suggestions, but I'm thinking if I hammer it with online difficulty it's going to just improve my game when I go back to online.

But, I've not quite finished Baldurs Gate yet and I started Starfield today too, so gently caress knows when I'm going to actually spend much time trying to improve at Tarkov rather than just dicking around

I'm a fellow SPT player also. Gave up live for all the bullshit everyone is talking about in this thread, without even mentioning the cheaters. Realized I'm older and ain't got time for all that and I see no reason to go back to playing live anymore because SPT can recreate the experience pretty easily and you can barely tell the difference.

If you still plan on playing and trying out SPT, my suggestion is play Baldurs Gate and Starfield for a while and wait until SPT 3.7 or whatever the next update is that includes all the new features that released with this new wipe.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
SPT looks really cool and I’d like to mess around with it at some point but imo the multiplayer experience is 100% what makes the game as great as it is. Team play (and mostly duo) is kind of the bread and butter for tarkov for me. There’s a lot of dumb and annoying bullshit in this game, both intentional and unintentional, and a huge amount of the fun is being able to trudge through that with some friends on discord.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Yea, that makes sense. I should've mentioned, I've only ever played Tarkov solo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Group tarkov can certainly be a mixed bag.

In one of the first games I played, we did a scav run trio. Before loading in I mentioned "oh rad I have a mosin" Upon loading in my friend went "oh sweet that scav has a mosin" and shot me in the face.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

dirty secret to most tarkov maps and getting tasks done is to just play at a steady pace in a clockwise/counter clockwise direction towards your objectives vs bee-lining right at them on drop. unless you got the single closest spawn to where you're trying to go and you can beat everyone there, in which case by all means do that

The only thing I don't like about reserve is how loving low the raiders spawn is. It's annoying as hell to be made to kill something that you have to rush to in order to even have a shot of being around when they spawn and it's like a 20% spawn chance even if you get there first

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

Group tarkov can certainly be a mixed bag.

In one of the first games I played, we did a scav run trio. Before loading in I mentioned "oh rad I have a mosin" Upon loading in my friend went "oh sweet that scav has a mosin" and shot me in the face.

Have you considered that your friend might be an idiot?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Have you considered that your friend might be an idiot?

Of course he is, he plays Tarkov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

SAIN with all the other requisite mods (SWAG/donuts, i promise these dumb names make sense) will allow you to tweak difficulty to make it harder/balanced/more crowded whatever you want. It will also make AI able to move in a more live-like way otherwise they will be locked to certain spawn areas and you’ll get familiar with where the hot spots are.

Server Value Modifier and AKI Profile Editor will let you tweak any numbers you want in regards to drop rate, stash, containers, traders, quests, etc. Those are the main ones to grab when starting to tweak SPT.

You may also want to grab the load order editor just because if you have two mods adjusting, lets say drop rate, the one loaded last will override the other. Shouldn’t be any conflicts starting with what I listed though unless you use SVM to tweak bot spawns.