Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I guess since there's not really an allegory Outer Wilds isn't really sci-fi per the classical definition, it's a mystery set in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

loquacius posted:

Outer Wilds is anarchist sort of. Both societies in it are essentially just science lab institutes run by committee and consisting of like thirty people each

Loquacuus making a strong argument that outer wilds is a bad game

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I actually got bingo like 3 months ago. I should have said something. All your cards are worthless now.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I’d like some future sci fi setting where the government isn’t a liberal conception of either dystopia, utopia or a presentist End of History.

Give me the Space Mughal Empire or Space Manchu/Meiji where warriors are forced to be civil servants or something.

there was that weird dos fighter game where you're flying an incan space ship
it's called inca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASgoxIRnZ0M

i don't think it was good

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Loquacuus making a strong argument that outer wilds is a bad game

And yet you love Fortnite, which is the same but the population is 100 people. Curious

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

And yet you love Fortnite, which is the same but the population is 100 people. Curious

Anarchism and Communism are not the same thing

DarkSithLord
Apr 14, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

I actually got bingo like 3 months ago. I should have said something. All your cards are worthless now.

Sir, this is a Wendy's

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

I’d like some future sci fi setting where the government isn’t a liberal conception of either dystopia, utopia or a presentist End of History.

Give me the Space Mughal Empire or Space Manchu/Meiji where warriors are forced to be civil servants or something.

not a game but the novel A Memory Called Empire (and its sequel A Desolation Called Peace) by Arkady Martine takes place in sort of an Aztec-inspired far future empire that puts a lot of emphasis on poetry and oration and is very unique as far as sci fi settings go

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

god what was that point and click adventure game from the early 90s where you were stuck in some kinda spooky new mexican town and one of the main mechanics is finding vhs tapes to watch for clues?

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Al! posted:

i thought the propaganda in the uc museum was a little over the top at first but its actually exactly how the us talks about the wars it lost or the ghastly human experimentation it did

i love the bit about the cowardly collective hid its military fleet behind its civilian fleet and thats how the Freestar Collective won :mad: im like sure thats what exactly happened totally

The UC is Obama

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Hatebag posted:

god what was that point and click adventure game from the early 90s where you were stuck in some kinda spooky new mexican town and one of the main mechanics is finding vhs tapes to watch for clues?

I believe that is Five Nights at Freddys

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Popy posted:

i love the bit about the cowardly collective hid its military fleet behind its civilian fleet and thats how the Freestar Collective won :mad: im like sure thats what exactly happened totally

The UC is Obama

they literally have mental health alerts on their mars mining base because people keep running into the mines.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ben Nerevarine posted:

not a game but the novel A Memory Called Empire (and its sequel A Desolation Called Peace) by Arkady Martine takes place in sort of an Aztec-inspired far future empire that puts a lot of emphasis on poetry and oration and is very unique as far as sci fi settings go

im most of the way through children of time and it describes a spider society which is a bizarre combo of ecofash, technocrat, and ancomm

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

We, uh, orbitally bombarded some folks

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Al! posted:

im most of the way through children of time and it describes a spider society which is a bizarre combo of ecofash, technocrat, and ancomm

I liked the ant semaphore computers, looking forward to reading the sequels eventually

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

I believe that is Five Nights at Freddys

lies!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

gradenko_2000 posted:

played Starfield for an hour, up through the first landing at New Atlantis

- I had to cap my frame rate at 30 because the computer was running flat-out the whole time and I could feel the room getting actively warmer. It's fine, it's not a competitive shooter

- whoever described the aesthetic as "Interstellar-core" was spot-on. But I like it. The old Lunar Lander DOS game, and learning how to dock the Apollo command module to the lander in Microsoft Space Simulator are core memories from growing up, and I've been a sucker for "hard sci-fi" ever since. I really liked Deliver Us The Moon, and this hits the same notes

- the first excursion into Kreet was delightful. Just being able to gently caress off and start mining loose deposits of iron and silver

- and then you go into the base and Vasco says something about it being a secret base because it's supposed to be territory of the other faction, and then you hear some pirates scream about something being loose, and you find a computer and you start going through emails and it's a Secret Xenobiology Warfare laboratory and that sort of environmental storytelling is such a hook

- you can pick up all sorts of bric-a-brac, as is typical of Bethesda games, but besides the attention to detail, it actually becomes relevant and useful when you start finding MedPacks in the walls and you start looking for them in all the spots where it'd be obvious to find them and you do and you can get like half a dozen extras that way

- I had a huge grin on my face when I came across a Pharmaceutical crafting workbench. Like, not only does the game have a crafting workbench specifically for that category of items, I also found it in a biology lab, where it'd make sense for it to be in. It's so cool!

I imagine all this might feel jaded and pedestrian to people who've been playing this type of game before, but it's a fairly novel experience for me. At heart I'm just an easily entertained child.

Interstellar-core is where I would place the aesthetics yeah, which jives with their "NASApunk" marketing since that's what Interstellar was, e.g what if NASA kept going but the intervening years/event made them sacrifice professionalism and everything has a layer of grime from actually being landed in places.

Also this may be a console thing idk but I heard it was already capped at 30fps.

My thought after 2 hours:

- They were serious about SSD being a minimum requirement. I didn't know that and installed it on a spinner and there were lag spikes and audio choppiness like crazy. I cleared space on an SSD and transferred it there and it plays perfectly fine on ultra. Lol it takes almost half the drive by itself.

- It is interesting to see a Bethesda game that isn't in a literal wasteland or a medieval-ish fantasy setting, where there are crowds of people milling around.

- The menus are kinda bad to navigate around and often I end up pulling up a system map when I just want to change my gear.

- Why do I have to manually put on the spacesuit in the menu? Everything else is streamlined so why not that?

- I do like how they let you just go from the cockpit to the ground and back without walking through the rest of the ship, which at least for the beginning ship is useless.

- The gunplay feels ok but drat every enemy takes an entire 40 round magazine to drop. They're wearing spacesuits, a few punctures or a helmet breach and they should be done. Melee is actually pretty viable.

- Also stealth should be much easier without even doing the sneaky crouch because if you're in hard vacuum, you can't hear anything. If you watch For All Mankind, this is demonstrated by the cosmonauts being able to just walk up behind a guy and kill him and even someone yelling to turn around doesn't matter because he can't hear anything. There's also the scene where a cosmonaut gets shot and it ignites all the oxygen in his suit because they ran 100% oxygen and that's flammable.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
in general stealth gets way better if you are not in tight corridors.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

turn off the TV posted:

the number of genocide apologists turning up for armored core 6 is very funny

:confused:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

apparently unequipping your space suit helps with stealth. seems dangerous

pink noise
Jun 24, 2022

skooma512 posted:

There's also the scene where a cosmonaut gets shot and it ignites all the oxygen in his suit because they ran 100% oxygen and that's flammable.

i think you can shoot people's space packs and blow them up (either that or i've shot a couple in the back who were holding nades or something)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i guess theres no eva in starfield otherwise id recreate the famous astronaut meme

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Al! posted:

i guess theres no eva in starfield otherwise id recreate the famous astronaut meme

I'm sure you could spawn the assets outside your ship while in space and do this for a picture.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The UC didnt beat the dirt farmers because they had human shields also we totally punished our war criminals

hmmmmm okay I believe u but first I want to see what you keep in your basement

it better not be a war criminal!!!!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

tcl through the ship walls and ?? something will happen I guess

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
ac6 genocide spoilers

every ending is genocide

1. fires of raven: xenocide coral and genocide all of rubicon and the surrounding solar system
2. liberator of rubicon: kick the genocide can down the road for awhile
3. alea lacta est: genocide humanity

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

tcl through the ship walls and ?? something will happen I guess

i think the outside world exists in your ship and not the other way around so tcl could work

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

skooma512 posted:

- Why do I have to manually put on the spacesuit in the menu? Everything else is streamlined so why not that?

open spacesuit menu and look at the bottom of the screen. there’s a “hide spacesuit when I don’t need it” option.

Al! posted:

apparently unequipping your space suit helps with stealth. seems dangerous

lol idk if the above has any impact on this because my character’s stealthiest weapon is an explosive grenade launcher. my companion has a mini gun.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I have a 1000000+ bounty in UC space cause of a misunderstanding.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Starfield apparently doesn't run well on Steam Deck and BG3 is just ok on it; we've already reached the point where AAA releases are outstripping its capabilities. Switch 2 is well positioned imo even as a Deck enthusiast

The built-in streaming service is buggy too; I had to reinstall every game on the internal hard drive after it froze when I tried to quit which seems pretty bad!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Lpzie posted:

I did everything right and they indicted me

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Red Baron posted:

open spacesuit menu and look at the bottom of the screen. there’s a “hide spacesuit when I don’t need it” option.

lol idk if the above has any impact on this because my character’s stealthiest weapon is an explosive grenade launcher. my companion has a mini gun.

wait... does the "hide spacesuit" option actually impact stealth???? god i hope so

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Lpzie posted:

I sold a perfect black market briefcase and they indicted me!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

punished milkman posted:

ac6 genocide spoilers

every ending is genocide

1. fires of raven: xenocide coral and genocide all of rubicon and the surrounding solar system

eh, 2 is not a genocide. you're just helping your friend!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The spacesuit only hides in cities/friendly stations etc. But I don't think it actually changes stats it's more like the camp clothing toggle in Baldurs Gate

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

This is the weed page

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I sold a perfect black market briefcase and they indicted me!

the amount of contraband I’ve left behind because I don’t have smuggler stuff yet hurts

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

found the guy who will remove the wanted trait for a measly 2k but why would i want to do that??? i hope you get to eventually meet the guy who hates you so much sometimes "bounty protectors" will warp in and fight the other bounty hunters. if you hail them they'll go yeah the guy is increasing it every week we're just fattening you up

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

here is one of my favorite quotes about the ending lol

quote:

People call it a "bad ending" largely because of the Coral's sentience - and immedieately assume that genocide is the wrong choice.

punished milkman posted:

ac6 genocide spoilers

every ending is genocide

there's no reason to think that it happens in 2 or 3 since the second is so open ended and the third ends with 621 still hearing Ayre through their augments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Red Baron posted:

the amount of contraband I’ve left behind because I don’t have smuggler stuff yet hurts

same, I’m searching around right now for a planet and place where I can temporarily dump all my contraband stuff for a later pickup

I will inevitably forget all about it