Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

What I’m saying in my earlier post is even the no-immunity option is better for him than a trial because his consequence is only two misdemeanors that won’t affect his life much and now he’s very likely going to end up with felony convictions because DOJ wins way more than they lose. Yes he only came to their attention because of politics but that’s out of his control and he’s probably underestimating the risk he’s now in. But this guy is no stranger to high risk behaviors.

ryde posted:

What happened was that the DoJ brought a plea deal that did not give Hunter immunity going forward and Hunter's team though the plea deal did give that immunity. They found out this difference in understanding in front of the judge, and the judge correctly said "Go talk it out and come back to me when you agree." And then politics happened and things fell apart. The right wing tried to spin this as "Judge shoots down DoJ sweetheart deal" despite the fact that things fell apart because the DoJ was being more strict than what Hunter's team wanted, because the right wing are dishonest.

Correct, it’s described further here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/19/us/politics/inside-hunter-biden-plea-deal.html

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fetterman seems to be getting a lot of ink this week, how is his recovery coming? Has his aphasia improved or does he still have to rely on CC?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

SCOTUS made a major change to gun law in 2022 (Bruen). It was a long decision, but the relevant part is that gun restrictions have to be "consistent with historical tradition of firearm regulation" and that the second amendment is as fundamental as other amendments, which means that any attempt at infringing it has to clear a very high barrier. You can't just prevent people from owning guns because of "public safety" or "the public interest" unless it is an extreme scenario.

Hunter would be arguing that banning people who have used or are addicted to illegal drugs from owning guns doesn't fit with the Supreme Court's definition of the second amendment. Taking away someone's first amendment or fourth amendment rights because they have used drugs would never stand, so obviously taking away the second amendment right is not constitutional if you say they are all equal - especially if that person hasn't even been convicted of an actual crime yet.

Edit: There is already another similar case heading to the Supreme Court next session where they argue that the 2022 Breun decision invalidates laws banning people charged, but not convicted, of domestic abuse or under protective order from owning guns is unconstitutional because the second amendment is as fundamental as the other amendments and nobody can lose their first or fourth amendments rights just by being accused of a crime. Therefore, they shouldn't lose their second either according to Bruen.

Hunter would have had an iffy case before, but after the Bruen decision, he has an extremely good chance of winning. The domestic abuse case likely has a solid chance as well because, according to the court, they are stripping someone of a fundamental right without due process or even being convicted of a crime.

But even if they found that the question shouldn’t be relevant, the fact that he lied on the question is the felony, right? Or is there a precedent that if something like this gets found to be an illegal way to restrict something that it no longer matters? On the one hand it seems silly to punish him for lying about something that shouldn’t have even been asked, but on the other, he did still lie.

I couldn’t care less what happens to him, this is all just out of curiosity.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

yronic heroism posted:

What I’m saying in my earlier post is even the no-immunity option is better for him than a trial because his consequence is only two misdemeanors that won’t affect his life much and now he’s very likely going to end up with felony convictions because DOJ wins way more than they lose. Yes he only came to their attention because of politics but that’s out of his control and he’s probably underestimating the risk he’s now in. But this guy is no stranger to high risk behaviors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/19/us/politics/inside-hunter-biden-plea-deal.html

The reason why the DOJ tends to win is that they don't charge what they can't prove.

Also has there actually been an indictment? Because as I have been telling MAGAts, the grand jury process is one of the checks against political prosecutions. And this is the one of the most blatantly obvious political prosecutions in American history.

So I'm still interested to see if they can actually get a grand jury to indict.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

But even if they found that the question shouldn’t be relevant, the fact that he lied on the question is the felony, right? Or is there a precedent that if something like this gets found to be an illegal way to restrict something that it no longer matters? On the one hand it seems silly to punish him for lying about something that shouldn’t have even been asked, but on the other, he did still lie.

I couldn’t care less what happens to him, this is all just out of curiosity.

The argument would be that he can't be prosecuted because the attempt to restrict someone from possessing guns solely because they were using drugs is unconstitutional by itself.

Lower courts have already ruled in similar cases based on the Supreme Court ruling.

The Fifth Circuit appeals court ruled last month that drug users shouldn’t be automatically banned from owning guns based on the Breun decision and overturned the conviction of a man who possessed two guns, was arrested for unrelated charges, and admitted to using marijuana regularly - including when he purchased them.

This was the conclusion of their ruling:

quote:

“Our history and tradition may support some limits on an intoxicated person’s right to carry a weapon, but it does not justify disarming a sober citizen based exclusively on his past drug usage,”

Which is basically what Breun spelled out. It is a slightly different case than what Hunter Biden is charged with, but the principle is basically the same. He would have had a so-so chance of succeeding prior to 2022, but post-Breun I'd say he has an extremely good chance of winning. It is extremely hard to justify the argument that someone should lose their second amendment right without ever being charged with a crime, but it can't happen with the first or fourth amendment if they are all supposed to be equal.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I don't think Bruen was a good decision overall, but under the logic of Bruen it really does not make sense that you can permit the government to restrict someone's constitutional rights - that are equivalent to their first amendment rights in importance - for past behavior without them ever being charged with a crime.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

He just replaced his previous defense lawyer, who was cooperating with the DOJ closely, with a very prestigious and media savvy lawyer to take a more confrontational approach.

We already know from the hearings with the IRS agents that there was some taint involved in the investigation process and we know that Hunter's prior lawyer will testify against the special counsel with regards to the pre trial agreement, which Hunter Biden is maintaining is still in effect.

This is not to say that he is gonna beat the rap, but I don't think the logic of "the DoJ wins most of the cases it tries" is appropriate here and we are operating under much less information than the Hunter Biden defensive team so I'd be hesitant to say he is underestimating the risk he is in now.

I do think people are underestimating the extent to which this story is going to take up more oxygen, for good or for ill.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Skex posted:

The reason why the DOJ tends to win is that they don't charge what they can't prove.

Also has there actually been an indictment? Because as I have been telling MAGAts, the grand jury process is one of the checks against political prosecutions. And this is the one of the most blatantly obvious political prosecutions in American history.

So I'm still interested to see if they can actually get a grand jury to indict.

Sounds like they think they can prove it. Do you think they can’t prove that he used drugs?

As for the grand jury, you know what they say about how easy it is to get an indictment? If they nullify at that stage it’s probably only because Weiss wants them to.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

yronic heroism posted:

Sounds like they think they can prove it. Do you think they can’t prove that he used drugs?

As for the grand jury, you know what they say about how easy it is to get an indictment? If they nullify at that stage it’s probably only because Weiss wants them to.

The grand jury told Durham to get bent, just because it's rare doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I don't think Bruen was a good decision overall, but under the logic of Bruen it really does not make sense that you can permit the government to restrict someone's constitutional rights - that are equivalent to their first amendment rights in importance - for past behavior without them ever being charged with a crime.

Or they could just give Bruen protections to “low level” domestic abusers but not to drug users. How many principles do we think Thomas and Alito will really hold sacred in the war on drugs?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://www.businessinsider.com/tommy-tuberville-military-holds-navy-woke-poetry-aircraft-carriers-2023-9

quote:

Tuberville's office said the poetry comment referred to an LGBTQ spoken-word night held aboard USS Gerald R. Ford, one of the nation's 11 aircraft carriers. At a hearing in April, Tuberville pressed Adm. Mike Gilday, then the Navy's highest-ranking officer, over the event.

"I'll tell you why I'm particularly proud of this sailor," Gilday said in response. "Her grandfather served during World War II, and he was gay, and he was ostracized in the very institution that she not only joined and is proud to be a part of, but she volunteered to deploy on Ford. And she'll likely deploy again next month when Ford goes back to sea."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

yronic heroism posted:

Or they could just give Bruen protections to “low level” domestic abusers but not to drug users. How many principles do we think Thomas and Alito will really hold sacred in the war on drugs?

Alleged domestic abusers.

The case isn't really about the specific crimes. It is about whether they can restrict second amendment rights when someone is charged with a crime or subject to a PFA/restraining order. You currently can under the idea of a general principle of public safety.

The conservatives in Bruen basically said, "The second amendment has been treated like a red-headed step-child. It is part of the original bill of rights, it is a constitutional amendment and a constitutional right, and it is something that the founders cared about protecting enough to write it into the constitution. Why are there situations where it would never be acceptable to deny someone their first amendment rights, but it is completely fine to deny them their second amendment rights? The constitution doesn't rank amendments or rights and say that some are more important than others, so you shouldn't be able to treat them differently."

You can still lose some of your rights if you are convicted of a crime, but the argument in the domestic violence case is that you can't deny someone their constitutional rights simply because they are charged with a crime or when they haven't even been charged with a crime and just have a restraining order.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The conservatives in Bruen basically said, "The second amendment has been treated like a red-headed step-child. It is part of the original bill of rights, it is a constitutional amendment and a constitutional right, and it is something that the founders cared about protecting enough to write it into the constitution. Why are there situations where it would never be acceptable to deny someone their first amendment rights, but it is completely fine to deny them their second amendment rights? The constitution doesn't rank amendments or rights and say that some are more important than others, so you shouldn't be able to treat them differently."

"...except the part about it being a well-regulated militia, feel free to keep ignoring that"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The fascinating thing I've learned working with a bunch of former and some current military folks, is that they're all so much better people than the folks who fetishize them. All these weird Republicans have the same conception of soldiers and sailors and airmen, and the military itself, that I had when I was like 8 or so.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
lol, his initial comment didn't even include the lgbtq bit, it was just a complaint that poetry was being recited on a naval vessel

quote:

We've got people doing poems on aircraft carriers over the loudspeaker. It is absolutely insane the direction we're headed in our military.

it's just the most ignorant poo poo. there's so much to unpack, but the simplest bit is that military poetry is some of the most well known bits of poetry in the public consciousness. as pointed out in the article, their masculine and anti-woke idol patton wrote enough poetry to fill a book

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

lol, his initial comment didn't even include the lgbtq bit, it was just a complaint that poetry was being recited on a naval vessel

it's just the most ignorant poo poo. there's so much to unpack, but the simplest bit is that military poetry is some of the most well known bits of poetry in the public consciousness. as pointed out in the article, their masculine and anti-woke idol patton wrote enough poetry to fill a book
what

what do republicans think the star-spangled banner is?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shrecknet posted:

what

Scripture

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JCColtin/status/1699565543085240645

Why do the people of New York elect such mayors? This is far-right poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Ah yes, NYC, definitely a city known for the purity of WASP American culture. Never been immigrants there; no sir!

Get loving lucid, you tit...

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

zoux posted:

Greatest City on EarthTM!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

yronic heroism posted:

You should read Thomas' opinion in Gonzales v Raich, he lays out his principles pretty well there and I think he would be the most likely justice to side with Hunter Biden if this issue gets to that level.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

zoux posted:

He's turning the racism dial back and forth while watching the audience to see what they want.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Because New Yorkers are just as racist as anyone else.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

zoux posted:

Fetterman seems to be getting a lot of ink this week, how is his recovery coming? Has his aphasia improved or does he still have to rely on CC?

Fetterman, or do you mean Fetterman's double? :colbert:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

zoux posted:

I guess if you just look at this one out-of-context tweet and know literally nothing else about what he's talking about, it could seem like far-right poo poo. But that's not an issue with the people of New York so much as it's an issue with people who get all their news from provocative tweets and don't think to explore the context.

The context, in this case, is that this is not an anti-immigrant rant! He's not calling for an end to immigration, nor is he calling for the deportation of migrants. He's not scaremongering about non-white hordes invading the city.

Rather, he's pleading for federal aid to help cover the cost of feeding and housing a growing population of asylum seekers who have no housing, no money, no support, and no work permits. It's putting strain on social services in a time when city budgets are shrinking. Homeless shelters are full and it's not nearly enough; the city has started renting out entire hotels as emergency shelter for homeless asylum seekers. When he talks about how the issue is going to DESTROY the NYC we knew, he's talking about budget cuts decimating city services. Adams has spent months loudly and publicly begging the Biden administration to expedite providing work permits for asylum seekers, or to at least provide more federal support to help cover the costs of providing for the migrants that are legally barred from providing for themselves.

Eric Adams is certainly a weird dude, with an unusual affection for rhetoric that sounds exactly like right-wing rhetoric if you aren't listening too closely, but he's not actually spouting racism here (though right-wing publications and Twitter clickbaiters have been happy to snip bits of it out of context to make it seem like it's racism). I suspect he's being intentionally provocative, either because he thinks it'll force national Dems to stop ignoring him, or because he wants to shift blame for the impending budget crisis. Personally, I don't think it's a good tactic, but I'm not really sure he has any good tactics available (at least from the perspective of his own political survival).

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

what

Let me just stop you there. If they were actually capable of thought they wouldn't be Republicans.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hunter Biden might actually end up taking his gun case to the Supreme Court after all.

After his plea deal fell apart, the DOJ is now indicating that they are going to indict him for the felony gun charge.

The charge is that he lied on a background check application when he purchased a gun in 2018 and answered "No" to the question of "Have you ever used any illegal drugs?"

Previously, his attorney had said they would take the case to the Supreme Court if they charged him with a felony for it.

Court filing indicating a coming indictment for the gun charge:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ded.82797/gov.uscourts.ded.82797.37.0.pdf

It'll be a trip if Hunter Biden makes background checks illegal lol.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
After nearly 3 years of deadlock and telecom industry lobbying killing his first choice, Biden finally has his 3-2 majority on the FCC with the confirmation of Anna Gomez

quote:

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) warned about the return of net neutrality rules when he spoke against the Gomez nomination on the Senate floor today. "If confirmed, she would give the Democrats a majority at the FCC that would enable them to impose a radical left-wing agenda, including investment-killing and job-killing so-called net neutrality rules, otherwise known as Obamacare for the Internet," Cruz said. "I strongly oppose her nomination and I encourage my colleagues to do the same."

Net neutrality is indeed likely to be among the first orders of business now that the deadlock has been broken. The rule, which requires ISPs to become woke treat all internet traffic as equal in value and quality of service, was repealed in 2017 by the Trump FCC.

Gomez had an unremarkable confirmation process and attracted votes from 5 Republicans (Capito, Collins, Murkowski, Rounds, and Young).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 8, 2023

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I guess if you just look at this one out-of-context tweet and know literally nothing else about what he's talking about, it could seem like far-right poo poo. But that's not an issue with the people of New York so much as it's an issue with people who get all their news from provocative tweets and don't think to explore the context.

The context, in this case, is that this is not an anti-immigrant rant! He's not calling for an end to immigration, nor is he calling for the deportation of migrants. He's not scaremongering about non-white hordes invading the city.

Rather, he's pleading for federal aid to help cover the cost of feeding and housing a growing population of asylum seekers who have no housing, no money, no support, and no work permits. It's putting strain on social services in a time when city budgets are shrinking. Homeless shelters are full and it's not nearly enough; the city has started renting out entire hotels as emergency shelter for homeless asylum seekers. When he talks about how the issue is going to DESTROY the NYC we knew, he's talking about budget cuts decimating city services. Adams has spent months loudly and publicly begging the Biden administration to expedite providing work permits for asylum seekers, or to at least provide more federal support to help cover the costs of providing for the migrants that are legally barred from providing for themselves.

Eric Adams is certainly a weird dude, with an unusual affection for rhetoric that sounds exactly like right-wing rhetoric if you aren't listening too closely, but he's not actually spouting racism here (though right-wing publications and Twitter clickbaiters have been happy to snip bits of it out of context to make it seem like it's racism). I suspect he's being intentionally provocative, either because he thinks it'll force national Dems to stop ignoring him, or because he wants to shift blame for the impending budget crisis. Personally, I don't think it's a good tactic, but I'm not really sure he has any good tactics available (at least from the perspective of his own political survival).

Being intentionally provocative using common right-wing vernacular, particularly as a leader within the culture, sounds a whole lot like participating in systemic racism.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

Eric Adams is a weird freak with strong authoritarian tendencies. He's not the kind of person who deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

haveblue posted:

After nearly 3 years of deadlock and telecom industry lobbying killing his first choice, Biden finally has his 3-2 majority on the FCC with the confirmation of Anna Gomez

“Obamacare for the Internet” lol keep loving that pig

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Republicans are attempting to rebrand on abortion for the 2024 election after concerns that "Pro-life" is now too associated with policies punishing women and overturning Roe v. Wade. They are also concerned that internal polling is showing them that people are now associating the term "pro-life" to mean against abortion in all scenarios (even in cases of rape and incest) and that is hurting candidates in swing races.

They haven't settled on a new phrase yet, but currently Senator Todd Young (R-IN) is pushing for "support pro-baby policies" and others are stressing talking about support for "pro-family" policies instead of getting bogged down in specifics about how many weeks abortion bans should kick in or how to punish people who violate them.

The new advice the NRSC is giving candidates is:

1) "Encouraging Republicans to clearly state their opposition to a national abortion ban and support for reasonable limits on late-term abortions when babies can feel pain with exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother."

2) "Encouraging candidates to contrast that position with Democrats’ support for taxpayer-funded abortion without limits."

3) Be specific and clear about these policies, but deflect questions about nation-wide abortion bans or specific punishments to the states. The Supreme Court brought the decision back to the states and the states should make their decisions. As a Senator, you will oppose a national abortion ban because of state's rights, but support pro-baby and pro-family policies.

4) "Emphasize that the pro-life movement serves both mother and child. We recognize the need to love and support them both. Today, the pro-abortion side opts to cut women from their communication entirely, choosing instead to speak to ‘pregnant people.’ Now more than ever, the pro-life movement needs to continue emphasizing its commitment to both women and children,”

5) "Don't just call yourself pro-life and let Democrats fill in the details in the mind of the public. Instead, say ‘I’m pro-life, but … .’ Or ‘I care deeply about the mother and the children, and we should always have compassion. But I believe that after 15 weeks where the child can feel pain, they should be protected.’"

Nikki Haley is also advising that Republican candidates to "agree that we are not going to put a woman in jail or give her the death penalty if she gets an abortion."

https://twitter.com/TomNamako/status/1699947433579426094

quote:

Republicans are trying to find a new term for ‘pro-life’ to stave off more electoral losses

WASHINGTON — Republican strategists are exploring a shift away from “pro-life” messaging on abortion after consistent Election Day losses for the GOP when reproductive rights were on the ballot.

At a closed-door meeting of Senate Republicans this week, the head of a super PAC closely aligned with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., presented poll results that suggested voters are reacting differently to commonly used terms like “pro-life” and “pro-choice” in the wake of last year’s Supreme Court decision that overturned Roe v. Wade, said several senators who were in the room.

The polling, which NBC News has not independently reviewed, was made available to senators Wednesday by former McConnell aide Steven Law and showed that “pro-life” no longer resonated with voters.

“What intrigued me the most about the results was that ‘pro-choice’ and ‘pro-life’ means something different now, that people see being pro-life as being against all abortions ... at all levels,” Sen. Kevin Cramer, R-N.D., said in an interview Thursday.

Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., said the polling made it clear to him that more specificity is needed in talking about abortion.

“Many voters think [‘pro-life’] means you’re for no exceptions in favor of abortion ever, ever, and ‘pro-choice’ now can mean any number of things. So the conversation was mostly oriented around how voters think of those labels, that they’ve shifted. So if you’re going to talk about the issue, you need to be specific,” Hawley said Thursday.

“You can’t assume that everybody knows what it means,” he added. “They probably don’t.”

Abortion is now banned in 14 states, and several others have pursued restrictions. Eleven states, including Missouri, have enacted abortion bans with no exceptions for rape and incest.

Sen. Todd Young, R-Ind., summarized Wednesday’s meeting as being focused on “pro-baby policies.”

Asked whether senators were encouraged to use a term other than “pro-life,” Young said his “pro-baby” descriptor “was just a term of my creation to demonstrate my concern for babies.”

Senators who attended Law’s presentation said he encouraged Republicans to be as specific as possible when they describe their positions on abortion, highlighting findings that he said could have a negative impact on elections. Many senators in attendance represent states where Republican-led legislatures are pursuing abortion restrictions.

“People require more in-depth discussions; you can’t get away with a label anymore,” said Sen. Cynthia Lummis, R-Wyo. “What we’ve learned is you have to dive in and talk to people about very specifically where you are on that subject if you’re running for public office.”

Senators in the room stressed that the meeting was more conversational and not a political strategy session, emphasizing that Law, the head of the Senate Leadership Fund super PAC, was not trying to persuade any lawmakers about their own messaging.

“I think it was purely informational depending on what state you’re from, because it’s different every state,” said Sen. Mike Braun, R-Ind.

The Senate Leadership Fund did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

A national strategist who worked on Senate races last year said: “The issue of abortion was problematic for Republicans last cycle, so it’s no surprise [the Senate Leadership Fund] is polling public perception of the issue. It’s the smart thing to do.”

The National Republican Senatorial Committee, the campaign arm of Senate Republicans, “is encouraging Republicans to clearly state their opposition to a national abortion ban and support for reasonable limits on late-term abortions when babies can feel pain with exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother,” a source familiar with the organization’s strategy said.

The NRSC, the source said, is “encouraging candidates to contrast that position with Democrats’ support for taxpayer-funded abortion without limits.”

Christina Reynolds, a spokesperson for Emily’s List, an organization that promotes female candidates who support abortion rights, said Republicans’ shift in messaging is “underestimating” voters’ understanding of the issue, adding that “wrapping it up nicely” would not change voters’ minds about abortion.

“I think their messaging was not the problem. Their position is the problem, and they’re going to be stuck with those positions,” Reynolds said. “At the end of the day, voters are clear in poll after poll and in election results after election results that they believe that people should have the right to make their own health care decisions, that they support abortion rights, that they supported Roe v. Wade.”

An NBC News poll conducted in June found that 61% of all voters said they disapproved of the Supreme Court’s 5-4 Dobbs decision, which left the legality and conditions of abortion up to the states.

Abortion is shaping up to be a potent issue on the presidential campaign trail. At last month’s GOP debate, former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley said her opponents were not being honest with Americans about what would be legislatively feasible when it comes to potential federal restrictions on abortion.

“Can’t we all agree that we are not going to put a woman in jail or give her the death penalty if she gets an abortion? Let’s treat this like the — like a respectful issue that it is and humanize the situation and stop demonizing the situation,” she said.

Asked about potentially abandoning the term the anti-abortion movement has used for decades, a spokesperson for the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List Pro-Life America used the descriptor that is part of the organization’s name and swiped at abortion-rights groups.

“The pro-life movement serves both mother and child. We recognize the need to love and support them both. Today, the pro-abortion side opts to cut women from their communication entirely, choosing instead to speak to ‘pregnant people.’ Now more than ever, the pro-life movement needs to continue emphasizing its commitment to both women and children,” the spokesperson said in a statement.

Cramer, asked what terminology senators should use instead of “pro-life,” said: “I think it’s more of a ‘I’m pro-life, but … .’ Or it’s ‘I care deeply about the mother and the children, and we should always have compassion. But I believe that after 15 weeks where the child can feel pain, they should be protected.’

“Whatever your position is, articulate it; don’t try to fool anybody. That’s where you get in trouble,” he added

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 8, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"We support pro-baby policies"

"So, like, mandatory birth leave and maternal health care policies?"

"No gently caress you state's rights arghle blargle"

Yeah that's gonna work out well for them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bird food bathtub posted:

Yes this should be easily countered. For them, once a baby comes out they don’t give two shits what happens after that.

I also laugh at the idea that they think they can wrangle this issue after spending 50 years wanting this and encouraging psychos to run for office that are willing to do whatever is necessary to ban abortion completely

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

"What about prenatal healthcare?"

*incoherent screaming*

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Also, they are chained to their base. gently caress them forever and let them reap the consequences.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Whenever I talk to a pro-lifer I bring up Republicans anti-free school lunches https://newrepublic.com/post/173668/republicans-declare-banning-universal-free-school-meals-2024-priority

If the person is also on board with starving children(which they usually always are :() I just walk away.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm pretty sure this is only going to be used by candidates in swing states or close races, but it is kind of interesting that the NRSC is officially advising candidates to make it explicitly clear that they oppose a national abortion ban being passed by congress.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Meatball posted:

"What about prenatal healthcare?"

*incoherent screaming*

A coworker yelled at me for taking time off work when my kids were in the NICU and my wife was recovering from an emergency C-section so our girls could live

I was being lazy and should have just worked instead of being with my family, in fact it makes me a coward and lib and traitor to prefer my most important people to Work

Great country we have here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pro-life is up there with death tax as one of the most successful political brandings of modern politics, so it's incredible to me that it's tainted to this degree so quickly. Dog catching the car poo poo