Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not too bad, bit chuggy if you angle the camera low but fine otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My grand experiment with trying to profit off of waste processing has abjectly failed. As has this particular republic, since it turns out the corner of the map I started in has no natural resources and four years in I still can't get enough staff at the clothing factories to keep in the black.

I really need to find a better map. On the upside at least I know roughly how waste and research work now (and I know enough to know I don't want to play with the latter).

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

How do you guys handle building over distance?

By which I mean lets say I've got a few neat towns near the border but now I want to strike out, there's a great Iron Ore deposit a reasonable distance away and the mines, processors, smelteries, and infrastructure required to keep it all ticking would support a reasonably large city. So I set up a cool construction estate, a wad of building offices etc etc and start blueprinting the town. But the king motherfucker is the minute people requirement.

The magical Telsa AI powered self driving vehicles are great, and I can bring in busses of people to do building projects when they're set up with a crane and poo poo. But the biggest pain in the rear end is the minute manpower requirements at the construction office area. like... 8 people to run asphalt, cement and sit on their rear end in the fire station because naturally the moment the firestation is unmanned the whole place is going to spontaneously combust.

It's doable but it truly erks me that I have to build a heli depot on both ends (which naturally will instantly fill with workers standing around on the boarding side of which 12 will actually be getting on the heli) just to chauffer a handful of people to stand in buildings so the whole city can come in to being. Is there a better way to do this?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I tend to keep those servable by the closest town to the “frontier” and just know that trucks will have to take cement and asphalt a long way. In most cases you end up spending just as long getting a whole new resource depot built up and stocked and staffed as you would if you just had your source for construction further away but already built, staffed, and supplies.

It varies a lot based on exactly how you’re set up though certainly. In my current save I just built up a new depot that’s pretty remote and I’m bringing poo poo there, but that’s because it’s centrally located and will serve a *whole* lot more than just a few (currently) remote builds.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sex Robot posted:

How do you guys handle building over distance?

By which I mean lets say I've got a few neat towns near the border but now I want to strike out, there's a great Iron Ore deposit a reasonable distance away and the mines, processors, smelteries, and infrastructure required to keep it all ticking would support a reasonably large city. So I set up a cool construction estate, a wad of building offices etc etc and start blueprinting the town. But the king motherfucker is the minute people requirement.

The magical Telsa AI powered self driving vehicles are great, and I can bring in busses of people to do building projects when they're set up with a crane and poo poo. But the biggest pain in the rear end is the minute manpower requirements at the construction office area. like... 8 people to run asphalt, cement and sit on their rear end in the fire station because naturally the moment the firestation is unmanned the whole place is going to spontaneously combust.

It's doable but it truly erks me that I have to build a heli depot on both ends (which naturally will instantly fill with workers standing around on the boarding side of which 12 will actually be getting on the heli) just to chauffer a handful of people to stand in buildings so the whole city can come in to being. Is there a better way to do this?

... You realize that the workers teleport home at the end of their shift, yes? You can actually just assign a construction heli with passenger capabilities to use a helipad as a worker source, and it works the same as busses.

Another option is to build the boarding helipad a bit outside of town, so that most of your residents CANNOT reach it, then assign worker priorities at the residential buildings that can. As long as the helipad has more than 0 priority compared to other workplaces, you'll have any overflow show up there. It's a bit messy, and I do agree that it would be much nicer if there was a way to specifically limit the number of workers who can wait there.

It may be simpler to just create a minimal residential infrastructure near where you're going to be building, construct THAT, then rely on that pool of labor to do things like sit in the fire station while building part of the ACTUAL town, sufficient to have a workforce that can be used effectively for your construction. So, plop down a food store, a power junction, foosball table, and whatever other infrastructure you'll need for your difficulty, and then a mid sized residence. Use a technical building to handle bringing them things they need like water delivery and poop removal. Shove a bunch of people in, hand them shovels, and point them in the right direction.

It would actually be neat if there was a very inexpensive or "free" residential building like the starting truck depots and stockpiles, like a set of tents or something, which you could use to temporarily house workers from your republic while you build the actual things. Or at least the concept of pioneers of some kind.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 19, 2023

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
The best way is to run a rail line out there and throw some diesel rail buses at the problem. You're going to want to get materials out there by train anyway.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Polikarpov posted:

The best way is to run a rail line out there and throw some diesel rail buses at the problem. You're going to want to get materials out there by train anyway.

Rail construction is so incredibly painfully slow, though. I cannot imagine waiting an entire year for an actual line to get built like 1km, unless that changed.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Track builder logic has improved a lot, they can reverse in the middle of segments to get to switches and if they finish a chunk of rail and still have material aboard will automatically continue to the next one, which helps improve their efficiency.

You still want to put crossovers at the beginning of new sections and only signal track once the track builders are 100% done.

Trains are basically the only economically viable method of long distance bulk transport unless you have a really convenient river or something, so it's worth the wait.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah, that behavior has been in for a while. The big problem is that the time it takes to construct tracks becomes longer and longer over time as the rail construction has to travel further and further before starting construction, to the point where significantly more time is spent traveling than constructing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Rail construction is so incredibly painfully slow, though. I cannot imagine waiting an entire year for an actual line to get built like 1km, unless that changed.

Are you building all concrete first? That makes the trains build multiple segments at once.

Also tbh you probably don't need electrified lines with the new yankee diesels that go 150km/h

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

Are you building all concrete first? That makes the trains build multiple segments at once.

Also tbh you probably don't need electrified lines with the new yankee diesels that go 150km/h

Yes, I'm not electrifying anything. It's just so slow compared to road construction. It's dependent on whatever workers happen to be present in the rail yard at the time the construction train actually reaches the site, it takes forever of back and forth since there's no concept of staging materials, it's just a ton of tedium imo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah but you make trains, the best form of transport.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My new thing has become using trains at a station as buffer storages for things like gravel and coal. There’s a significant upfront cost for the engine but beyond that it works great to have little shuttles for poo poo like heating coal that doesn’t rely on either a dedicated aggregate storage+distro center or a line that inevitably backs up when the storage fills (or wastes fuel if you let them run without emptying.)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

wait, do dumpers waste fuel while waiting in line/ slooowwwwwly unloading their cargo in the heating power plant?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

Yes, I'm not electrifying anything. It's just so slow compared to road construction. It's dependent on whatever workers happen to be present in the rail yard at the time the construction train actually reaches the site, it takes forever of back and forth since there's no concept of staging materials, it's just a ton of tedium imo.

So, the rail construction yard doesn't produce any pollution or anything, so you can and should build it within walking distance of your flats, and you can stuff hundreds of workers into it with a few of the big east german construction trains.

I honestly don't find building railways to be any slower than building highways, if anything they can often be quicker to build because they're unaffected by weather issues. You probably want a rail construction yard every, say, half the length of the map, to get the best throughput, but honestly trains are among the fastest construction methods, only really beaten by vast fleets of helicopters.

double nine posted:

wait, do dumpers waste fuel while waiting in line/ slooowwwwwly unloading their cargo in the heating power plant?

I think the "wasting fuel" thing is if you don't tell them to wait to unload, which will cause them to drive back and forward all day if the storage is full.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 21, 2023

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So the new building maintenance and demolishing has me playing way less staticly.... it used to be I'd build a town or factory complex or whatever to bootstrap a larger one, but then leave it up for the added productivity.

Now you're incentivized to abandon and demolish it so you don't have to worry about maintaining less efficient infrastructure. The systems they're adding are all coming together in really cool ways!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I live a conflicted existence of acknowledging DCs are great for practical human republics but who's ease of use is a serious roadblock to the ideal perfect republic where trains handle bulk transit to final mile (where connections exist) or convenient logistics facilities that cover a small enough area to handle by routes.

There can be room for DCs in the latter, and maybe that's the ideal fusion but in a world of very little conditional needs there should be a route based solution everywhere and managing the route instead of the DC should give you better feelings for shortages etc. instead of lumping it all into a fat DC trunk and waiting for problems.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zedprime posted:

I live a conflicted existence of acknowledging DCs are great for practical human republics but who's ease of use is a serious roadblock to the ideal perfect republic where trains handle bulk transit to final mile (where connections exist) or convenient logistics facilities that cover a small enough area to handle by routes.

There can be room for DCs in the latter, and maybe that's the ideal fusion but in a world of very little conditional needs there should be a route based solution everywhere and managing the route instead of the DC should give you better feelings for shortages etc. instead of lumping it all into a fat DC trunk and waiting for problems.

If there was better logic for you to set the routes, yes, potentially. An early game tactic for me is to get a meat truck and a food truck, and have them both do a Load at The Border / Relevant Depot, and then Wait Until Unloaded at the grocery store. It has two parking lots, so it's only potentially a problem for the snow plow.

That said, it's also wasteful. If you don't have a lot of buildings, you can frequently just get one truck to service all of them, but it will frequently be riding with far more of one product than the other. You'll also be burning fuel having it constantly driving around.

The DC really is a fantastic way to handle last mile goods delivery imo.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m still importing consumer goods of all kinds (I’ve been trying to start Food sooner, but this map doesn’t really allow for it early because of space.) My trunk is mostly train DCs as a result, and honestly it’s hard to want to do anything else. It keeps the tracks as low traffic as they can be and still keeps local depots filled. I have a rail distro center near the border currently handling mostly imports, but it’s intended to become my overflow export one (until I get the container port up and running.) Periodically as space or needs permit I’ll set up a new train distro to handle shipping to any local depots for produced items.

Trains dump goods at bespoke construction goods depots (which usually share space with a local fuel and chemical storage) or town storages and then construction goods vehicles or a “last mile” town goods DO handle the rest.

I really only use lines for goods in a few situations anymore. Crushed stone, coal, and lumber make up most of the applications. I have coal trains dedicated to everywhere coal is needed and they’re on lines as “wait to unload” so they function as a buffer storage. I also use lines for ship export, but only because there’s no ship based DO.

I think I just overly appreciate the “balancing” of a DO. I produce my own fuel so it’s not like wasting it is a problem, but I feel like DOs just give me relatively the “minimum traffic” for what logistics I need to accomplish. Since I intend to give my dudes personal cars, this becomes a massive help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zedprime posted:

I use train DOs to keep various supply yards near major settlements stocked with all the possible goods, then local DOs to supply local industries and consumer services. Works pretty well I find?

You can combine this with putting small warehouses attached to the major shopping centers and split the goods for the center between the store and its warehouse, which effectively allows you to do fewer trips with fuller trucks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yes, I know DOs solve the game as is and I hate it. There I said it.

I'll put it another way. I want more things that need less than a truckload (where routes shine with one pick up and sequential drop offs) or 100 truckloads (where train shuttles/train DOs shine).

People look at 1.5t of meat in the corner shop freezer and the solution becomes every town gets a shopping center because the DC logic completely struggles with that size of endpoint while I see the most interesting logistics problem in the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah I see what you mean.

Yeah I do find that my objective is mostly to avoid having people make small deliveries by expanding the storage on anything that uses little faffy deliveries.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ah I see too now, yeah. I love the DO because I guess I enjoy the game at slightly above that layer, I'm happy to have my logistics easily 'solved' because to me I get more enjoyment out of the system-level problems like traffic (train or otherwise.) DO's still absolutely help a ton with that since lines can be overdone and run too many vehicles unnecessarily, but I end up finding doing things like tweaking road systems to allow for the weird gluts that happen sometimes, like right now trying to build a mountain road while also moving (which involves demolishing) a bridge has choked some roads near by garbage/recycling industry, and having garbage mostly brought there by DO means that it can send extra trucks while things are congested - it doesn't help the congestion in the short term, but it keeps bins from overflowing.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It's been a week or two since I've really sat down and played a grip, but I'm working on digging the canal, have the new major construction goods depot for the capitol city that will go around there, and I'm working on a mountain road on the right there to jump over to the other side of the range for the first time - hopefully to maintain some old town buildings I want to keep before they explode. I've had to reset wear/tear a number of times to prevent it. Cheating, but this map is really dang hard to spread through unless you do it from multiple borders at once, which I find mentally taxing.

It works out anyway, since I'm going to try to avoid building the whole huge capitol and everything that comes with it until I'm producing my own prefabs and steel, which will be over by where that road is going.

I did also have to use the cheat menu and the more powerful map editor land movement tools for the really deep cut of the canal. It would have taken like an hour of holding left click lower with vehicles.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Can someone tell me the trick to putting down sewage discharge plants the terrain is so finnicky

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Align a dirt road to the grid along the waters edge and then level terrain from the water to the road, the road prevents terraforming next to it so you get a smooth edge like a quay wall

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Just a quick “lower” with the small brush to deepen the water and then a quick swipe with “level” from the ground height should do it. It’s hard to describe.

You can also hold alt(? I think) to rotate things with a finer angle so you can align easier to the shore.

There’s also a mod that adds a bunch of of sewer exits that are more aesthetically pleasing with no collision, if you’re into that.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!
The thing about this game is that it's not about communism at all - it's an airport building simulator.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I stumbled over a video about a post soviet commuter town, it's good, and felt it might be interesting to the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUvgQbHFvWE

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I stumbled over a video about a post soviet commuter town, it's good, and felt it might be interesting to the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUvgQbHFvWE

I feel so much better about my semi random placement of prefab buildings, I see ASA making beautiful sculptures of cities while mine are "uh shoot need a couple more houses I guess"

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I appreciate the weird clash of angles and exact styles of flat, then a weird one story commercial building up against one. It all represents weird choices I've made in game and said, "Oh no that can't be realistic" and yet

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I appreciate the weird clash of angles and exact styles of flat, then a weird one story commercial building up against one. It all represents weird choices I've made in game and said, "Oh no that can't be realistic" and yet

He says, with the most frustratingly deliberately planned cities I've ever seen.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

He says, with the most frustratingly deliberately planned cities I've ever seen.

Sometimes I only plan block by block!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

... sometimes I only plan after I've built it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I place a central area with all of the necessary facilities for a town and then vomit high capacity high rises around it. That's my planning process.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how do you handle multiple rail construction vehicles? setting up signals on an incomplete network seems a bit fraught

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

how do you handle multiple rail construction vehicles? setting up signals on an incomplete network seems a bit fraught

I only set up signals around incomplete intersections. Intersections start to gently caress them up, but they’ll claim the incomplete block all the way up to them.
For intersections I just babysit and allow them through reds.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I build switches in front of every new major expansion so the rest of the network can continue and at least one or two construction trains can wait close to the site. It works reasonably well. Basically you need to treat the incomplate area as its own private network and build a connection to the actualy network.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

quote:

Shifting gears back to what’s at the core of our endeavor: game development. We have a landmark update to share today. We understand the frustrations you’ve had with road construction, where pathways, crossroads, and waypoints break your roads into annoyingly small segments. That's about to change.
https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-83
:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

we live in the best of all possible worlds.