Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I quit on Realm Grinder in the middle of the first ascension once I realized I was just following guides religiously and there was nothing interesting going on. I still can't quit Trimps though...

If I were a vampire, Realm Grinder would be great. But I only have so much time, and losing a long build-up run because I picked a single upgrade wrong and didn’t realize it was mathematically inferior is not fun. So, the guides are necessary and everyone flames out when they get bored of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Virgin sneaker vs the Chad bumbler

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SettingSun posted:

Theory of Magic might be my favorite idle game. I wish I knew how to do combat wizardry effectively though.
is there even a good way? the combine spells option doesn't do poo poo in terms of doing what I actually want (spam cheap magic)

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I quit on Realm Grinder in the middle of the first ascension once I realized I was just following guides religiously and there was nothing interesting going on. I still can't quit Trimps though...

Trimps might be a long game, but it quickly becomes a series of "make your choices, roll the ball and come back in X hours". Occassionally, you need to hand-hold it for a few achievements or challenges.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Does Theory of Magic ever get meaningful automation? I picked it up yesterday for the first time, and it's entirely to busy/clicky for me as an idle.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Toshimo posted:

Does Theory of Magic ever get meaningful automation? I picked it up yesterday for the first time, and it's entirely to busy/clicky for me as an idle.

Yeah, you get some value out of letting it sit later on. It doesn't have months of content though, so feel free to play it a bit and set it down.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Ironwood RPG: Is there any early game good time/money sinks for if you're trying to get some gold off the market? I'm getting to the point, with food and potions especially, that I really just want to buy them rather than spend time leveling those areas.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

dipwood posted:

Ironwood RPG: Is there any early game good time/money sinks for if you're trying to get some gold off the market? I'm getting to the point, with food and potions especially, that I really just want to buy them rather than spend time leveling those areas.

Combat generates your primary income from both raw gold and materials. For specifically selling to market bars are your best bet if you aren't doing potions as finished goods outside of the higher tiers (obsidian and astral) are about break even to the price of bars unless you're running super preservations to nudge it back into profitability - sales can be slow, though.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've often ended up with excess materials after finishing lower tiers so I often will sell those for some quick cash, although I will throw logs in the kiln or compost fruits since those are pretty good sources. (Sometimes it's better to sell logs and buy redwood to turn into charcoal though, depending on prices.)

Also don't forget to check your inventory for "sellable items" (mostly gems but also burnt food and fishing trash) - that can be worth quite a lot if you haven't sold them for a while. And daily quests don't give an awful lot of gold but it adds up for very little effort, and the reward is based on that skill's level, so if you're doing them for gold just do your highest level skills.

All that said there hasn't really been much that I've needed gold for and not had enough, at least since getting to middle tiers.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Xerol posted:

I've often ended up with excess materials after finishing lower tiers so I often will sell those for some quick cash, although I will throw logs in the kiln or compost fruits since those are pretty good sources. (Sometimes it's better to sell logs and buy redwood to turn into charcoal though, depending on prices.)

Also don't forget to check your inventory for "sellable items" (mostly gems but also burnt food and fishing trash) - that can be worth quite a lot if you haven't sold them for a while. And daily quests don't give an awful lot of gold but it adds up for very little effort, and the reward is based on that skill's level, so if you're doing them for gold just do your highest level skills.

All that said there hasn't really been much that I've needed gold for and not had enough, at least since getting to middle tiers.

Buying xp gain potions has been my main gold sink.

Need to figure out my login again, switched computers so have been down for a few days.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

DACK FAYDEN posted:

is there even a good way? the combine spells option doesn't do poo poo in terms of doing what I actually want (spam cheap magic)

my most effective combat wizardry was always add all the summons to my automatic list, set the cheapest spell in each school to 4-0 (once i combined the buffs into 1-3), and faceroll the keyboard.

Also you have duelling "spells" in the unstable branch which are pretty effective with an enchanted rapier because they use stamina and once you have timesplit and a bunch of stam buffs you can stab things to death extremely quickly while also sleeping.

(i should probably just cheat and unlock the 3rd timesplit because I've definitely played the game enough times through to have 'unlocked' it just not on this save.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

First Ascension in Evolve done!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Maigius posted:

First Ascension in Evolve done!

Hell yeah :toot:

Game speeds up dramatically from there.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
In Ironwood RPG I got a Petty Mining Rune, is there any reason not to use it on my Perfect Silver Pickaxe?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Nope. You can unslot and reslot runes as you like.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I thought Fruit of Power A in NGU was worthless. I didn't remember it being worthless from the last time I played, but like, figured maybe I just misremembered it, because at level 5 eating it wasn't making any difference to my stats.

I'm a huge idiot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Ironwood RPG: How do the XP potions work? Feels like they do nothing?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
What percentage of Ironwood RPG is just woodcutting? 80%? 90%?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

I thought Fruit of Power A in NGU was worthless. I didn't remember it being worthless from the last time I played, but like, figured maybe I just misremembered it, because at level 5 eating it wasn't making any difference to my stats.

I'm a huge idiot.

The recent NGU talk has me thinking maybe I should try playing through again. On a whim I restarted NGU industries, and I am getting near the final researches of that idler again. If the new game that has been teased a few times isn’t released soon I might have to find something to fill the void. Checking FAPI a couple times a day can only do so much.

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

dipwood posted:

Ironwood RPG: How do the XP potions work? Feels like they do nothing?

I believe it is a % chance for double xp.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Decided to try out NGU, and I feel like I must be missing something but every post I've seen in regards to arbitrary points says to get yellow heart first, but I feel like it's gonna take a while getting 150k AP. Isn't the filter boosts into infinity cube like, way better to get first at only 15k and recycling not being a thing I have to worry about for a whiiiile.

Especially due to the low inventory size meaning it'll quickly be filled with boosts.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

From memory the reason the heart is recommended is it gives a bonus to AP earned while equipped but you also want to put it in the daycare as soon as possible so that you can level it to 100 for that bonus to be at maximum, and the infinity cube stats are soft-capped by your other stats so while getting and boosting it might get you past a short-term stat check it will very quickly stall out at the beginning of the game when you have no other equipment.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah, it's listed as the first purchase because you'll need a ridiculously large amount of AP for everything, and AP is very hard to get and this is one of the few concrete increases to it.

You can absolutely buy other stuff first, it's just delaying that boost to your AP income.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It takes like a month in the daycare to provide its AP bonus without being equipped anyways. I'd say the priority order for AP as a newbie is ILF (absolutely mandatory, honestly bullshit it requires AP), then the boost filter and THEN the Yellow Heart. It does delay everything else, but honestly not as much as you'd think. NGU is a very very very long term game anyways.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's probably stupid of me but I went ahead and paid the $10, again, for the Newbie pack- I feel like I've got enough out of NGU that I don't especially mind, and the bit of a headstart it gets you (including the ILF!) is IMO extremely worthwhile.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Man, I was trying to replay Fill The Oceans, but it really does feel like it's abandoned. Tons of bugs, inaccurate displays, and I can't even run an autoclicker without the game freezing up. A shame, because I remember really enjoying it the last time I played it years ago.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Is there still a goon guild in Ironwood? Looked around and couldn't find the GOONS one from 15 pages back.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Vasler posted:

Is there still a goon guild in Ironwood? Looked around and couldn't find the GOONS one from 15 pages back.

It only shows up when there's a slot available. People get purged pretty regularly when they haven't been on for a while.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

You can see it in the leaderboards also but I think you have to be in a guild to see that.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Rynoto posted:

It only shows up when there's a slot available. People get purged pretty regularly when they haven't been on for a while.

Dang okay thanks. Hopefully a space will free up soon or we can start a new guild.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Vasler posted:

Dang okay thanks. Hopefully a space will free up soon or we can start a new guild.

Cleared two spots

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Crell posted:

Cleared two spots

Just started and applied as Malt. Understand if I'm too low though!

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

Crell posted:

Cleared two spots

Thanks! Applied as Fvic.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
found a neat new feature-progression incremental game:

https://tendsty.itch.io/gooboo

super clean & interesting so far!

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

crime weed posted:

super clean & interesting so far!

Smells like veprogames.github.io/idle-mine-remix/

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It might be a limitation of the iframe or something, but I can't input numbers directly into the math minigame in the school, which kinda sucks.
I could answer a lot of them in 30 seconds if not for the fact that I need to press the up arrow 9 times to get it to increment to 9 before I can submit it as an answer.

It also kinda extends to general scroll handling, kinda obnoxious to scroll down a menu and then bam, you're scrolling down the page itself after a few steps.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SubNat posted:

It might be a limitation of the iframe or something, but I can't input numbers directly into the math minigame in the school, which kinda sucks.
I could answer a lot of them in 30 seconds if not for the fact that I need to press the up arrow 9 times to get it to increment to 9 before I can submit it as an answer.

It also kinda extends to general scroll handling, kinda obnoxious to scroll down a menu and then bam, you're scrolling down the page itself after a few steps.

Huh? I can input the numbers in directly just fine.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Infinity Gaia posted:

Huh? I can input the numbers in directly just fine.

I can as well. Even with the glorious numpad.

This game has taught me that I don't remember my basic multiplication tables anymore.

I'm enjoying it anyway.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

crime weed posted:

gooboo posted:

* long-term progression, this game is intended to be played for years
hmm not normally my jam but let's see how many years i can make it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I'm hoping you get some bonuses to school down the line, I'm mathing my rear end off over here but I'm only barely scraping by at C- :f5:

e: I'd also like it if literature class was actual words and not keysmash, while I'm complaining