Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorJon
Sep 16, 2009

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Everytime we looked at sofi they always were higher interest rates then others. But they could be more aggressive and better now? Lately for sure they have been slamming us about refinancing with them.

I recently refinanced my med school student loans in March 2023 through Sofi to a 3.615% fixed rate (lower than the fed funds rate), so I had a great experience refinancing with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hello thread

I just a new job about three weeks ago with a nonprofit that I believe would qualify for the eventual forgiveness of my student loans after like 10 years or so. I know part of this involves switching to an income based repayment plan. Before I call the department of education or my loan servicer directly, I was wondering if anyone who had gone through something similar could give me some basic pointers. Should I make the switch to IBR immediately or should I wait a bit more with this job before making the switch? Do I have to notify the department of education that my job is a qualified nonprofit for this forgiveness thing?

The job has been great so far, virtually zero stress. Should make it easier on me to get 10 years in.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Hello thread

I just a new job about three weeks ago with a nonprofit that I believe would qualify for the eventual forgiveness of my student loans after like 10 years or so. I know part of this involves switching to an income based repayment plan. Before I call the department of education or my loan servicer directly, I was wondering if anyone who had gone through something similar could give me some basic pointers. Should I make the switch to IBR immediately or should I wait a bit more with this job before making the switch? Do I have to notify the department of education that my job is a qualified nonprofit for this forgiveness thing?

The job has been great so far, virtually zero stress. Should make it easier on me to get 10 years in.

You don't have to notify at job start, but you can do certifications to certify past employment. There is a tool on the Student Aid website that allows you to send a DocuSign version of the document for signature (this is much faster to get processed than a paper uploaded form).

You should probably certify IBR because it could drop your payments. If you submit an ECF (employer certification form) I believe your loans will automatically transfer to MOHELA.

Note that MOHELA is pretty bad and also absolutely inundated with calls so it's very hard to get through to support, but their website is ok.

IBR and ECF are both done directly through the studentaid.gov website.

You also don't have to stay at the same employer for 10 years, and the payments do not need to be consecutive, so long as the employer is a qualified entity (501(c)(3), federal, state, local, tribal govt, and a few other employer types.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Awesome, thanks

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is it possible/reasonable to negotiate a bulk repayment for a less than the total balance for a loan otherwise in good standing?

e.g., if there's 50k outstanding, it is weird to negotiate an immediate repayment of like 40k or something (and have the servicer consider the loan paid in full)?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 2, 2023

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Has anyone had success with the double consolidation strategy that seems to exist for Parent Plus loans? Apparently by consolidating parent plus loans, and then doing it again into a single loan at a new servicer, you (or I guess your parents) gain access to all of the IDR plans rather than just ICR.

The information looks pretty consistent across seemingly-legit sources, and people elsewhere on the internet have reported success, but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it and if there are any pitfalls to be aware of? My partner and I are taking over payments on our parent plus loans once the pause ends, and I'm trying to understand our options.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Baronash posted:

Has anyone had success with the double consolidation strategy that seems to exist for Parent Plus loans? Apparently by consolidating parent plus loans, and then doing it again into a single loan at a new servicer, you (or I guess your parents) gain access to all of the IDR plans rather than just ICR.

The information looks pretty consistent across seemingly-legit sources, and people elsewhere on the internet have reported success, but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it and if there are any pitfalls to be aware of? My partner and I are taking over payments on our parent plus loans once the pause ends, and I'm trying to understand our options.

I consolidated something under the temporary expansion that I wouldn't have been allowed to before and now it's on the 120/120 list. Ill check that it was a parent plus later but I'm pretty sure it was and easy.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

So I just got this email...

quote:

You're eligible to have your student loan(s) forgiven!

The Department of Education will work with your servicer to process your forgiveness.

<LanceHunter>,

On April 19, 2022, the Biden-Harris Administration announced several changes that will help borrowers get closer to or achieve forgiveness under income-driven repayment (IDR) regardless of whether or not you have ever participated in an IDR plan. With these changes, you are now eligible to have some or all of your student loans forgiven because you have reached the necessary 240- or 300-months' of payments under IDR.

The U.S. Department of Education will work with your servicer to process your IDR forgiveness over the next several months. If you would like to opt out of IDR forgiveness for any reason, contact your loan servicer no later than 08/13/2023 and tell them that you are not interested in receiving IDR forgiveness. Some reasons why you might want to consider opting out include concerns about a potential state tax liability.

If you decide to opt out of IDR forgiveness, you will be expected to continue paying your loan(s) once the student loan payment pause ends.

I'm guessing this only applies to the ~$12k of consolidated loans I have left over from the my first attempt at college back from 1998-2002, rather than any of the loans I took out when I went back to school to finish my degree a few years ago. This will be more forgiveness than I was going to get under the old plan, so that's cool.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hi, my partner is trying to get her loan forgiven via public service loan forgiveness (she has been working as a therapist for 10 years, and has made payments for every month in that period, meeting the 120 month requirement). Her "employers" would be various insurance companies like Aetna, Blue Cross, etc. What would be her next steps? It's difficult because she has to have these health insurance companies verify her employment as an independent contractor in the state, and there's quite a few. Presumably they are non-profit but they would need to be to qualify.

the other thing is that some places aren't listed as eligible (like Blue Cross of MN) even though they are a non-profit. Well, they are for profit now, but they were non-profit up until 2020. She might need a resource at the state level to help with this.

I did find an attorney that specializes in this area, so that might be the way to go.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 13, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Unfortunately she may have a tough time qualifying for PSLF. If she was an independent contractor (ie, got paid on a 1099) she likely won’t qualify. If she was a w2 employee, she needs to have worked for a non-profit, ie most likely a 501c3. Most of the insurance companies you listed are for profit. Aetna, for example, almost certainly doesn’t qualify.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

OK thank you

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

So I just got this email...

I'm guessing this only applies to the ~$12k of consolidated loans I have left over from the my first attempt at college back from 1998-2002, rather than any of the loans I took out when I went back to school to finish my degree a few years ago. This will be more forgiveness than I was going to get under the old plan, so that's cool.

Following up on this: I logged in to my loan servicer’s site today and they have repayment dates/amounts set for the loans I took when I went back to school, but the old consolidated loans still show $0 due. The balances are still showing there, though. So I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Another question, if someone has debt being paid under income-driven repayment, and they get married, their cost will go up right? Because it will consider both incomes together.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Another question, if someone has debt being paid under income-driven repayment, and they get married, their cost will go up right? Because it will consider both incomes together.

I think that was always the case, but the new changes in IDR (that I guess go into effect in 2024) now let you calculate your payment just on the one party’s salary if you file your taxes separately. I don’t know how that gonna work, I.e. if you need to file separately in 2023 to have it work that way in 2024, but it’s something to keep your eye on.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

JackBandit posted:

I think that was always the case, but the new changes in IDR (that I guess go into effect in 2024) now let you calculate your payment just on the one party’s salary if you file your taxes separately. I don’t know how that gonna work, I.e. if you need to file separately in 2023 to have it work that way in 2024, but it’s something to keep your eye on.

thanks!

I'm guessing you could be married but file taxes separately? who knows

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

actionjackson posted:

I don’t know if its still true but it definitely used to be. When I got married my wife and I just filed separately to avoid the issues it would have caused, especially since she makes more than I do. My loans were forgiven a little while ago though and since then we started filing jointly.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

actionjackson posted:

My wife and I have been on IBR (one of the IDR plans) and we MFS for taxes. Some of the IDR plans take both people's incomes regardless of filing status, but IBR only counts the borrower's income if you MFS.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what is MFS?

I've also read that if you get married, you don't take on part of your spouse's student loan debt if you get divorced, unless you're in one of a few states. But that if that debt is refinanced during marriage, the spouse may be partially responsible for it.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

actionjackson posted:

what is MFS?

I've also read that if you get married, you don't take on part of your spouse's student loan debt if you get divorced, unless you're in one of a few states. But that if that debt is refinanced during marriage, the spouse may be partially responsible for it.

MFS = Married, filing separately, it's one of the ways married couples can file their taxes. There are some disadvantages in that certain tax credits or favorable tax treatments are disallowed when filing separately.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks. she's on the 25 year repayment plan - did the three "covid years" count for that, even if they weren't required to make payments? i know the interest during that period is forgiven at least

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
If you were on a qualifying plan and had a qualifying employment status during the COVID forbearance, each month counted as a qualifying payment.

At least they *did* count when I got forgiven at the end of 2021...

I wasn't on a qualifying plan because I was dumb when I consolidated, but I fell under the temporary expansion to PSLF (along with other headaches, but I finally got them forgiven)

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Planet Money had a decent episode about the new IDR plan: https://www.npr.org/2023/08/08/1192703211/biden-save-plan-how-it-works

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Thanks for the NPR link. Good summary there

Speaking of the new SAVE repayment plans, does anyone know about what the two tiers are? I can't find them mentioned anywhere, but it shows up for my loans with the second tier with higher payment kicking in after a certain date.
Here is a screenshot from Mohela https://ibb.co/yhywcGQ

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

unfortunately most of the debt my partner has is from graduate school which isn't really affected? it stays at 10% while undergraduate was cut to 5%

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

LanceHunter posted:

Following up on this: I logged in to my loan servicer’s site today and they have repayment dates/amounts set for the loans I took when I went back to school, but the old consolidated loans still show $0 due. The balances are still showing there, though. So I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

Follow-up to the follow-up. I just got the confirmation through my servicer that one of these two old consolidated loans was forgiven. Don't know why the second wasn't, as I thought they were set up at the same time. The other old loan still shows $0 due, though, so I'm not quite sure what is up there.

This second loan not yet being forgiven might be a blessing in disguise, though, if I'm understanding things properly. As I understand it, if you consolidate loans then the IDR 20-year forgiveness kicks in based on the payment history for the oldest item in the consolidated package. So I might have a chance to consolidate this old loan with the loans I took out a decade later when I went back to school, and be able to hit the 20-year mark in a year or two and get everything cleared.

Clearly I'll have to do some more research to figure all of this out. I don't have that much student loan debt (it's less than my car note), but after that bullshit SCOTUS decision I kinda want to get as much cleared as possible just on principal.

EDIT:

Okay, I think this info on the page for the SAVE program has more info...

US Department of Education posted:

Borrowers who consolidate will not lose progress toward forgiveness. They will receive credit for a weighted average of payments that count toward forgiveness based upon the principal balance of the loans being consolidated.

So consolidating probably wouldn't be the best plan, since the remaining old outstanding amount isn't that high and wouldn't swing a weighted average that much.

EDIT 2:

Welp, nevermind. Second old consolidated loan is now also wiped. Guess they were just slow in processing everything.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 16, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hi thread ! We too have to now re figure out student loans.

Quick background:
Wife has a lot of student loans. I have $0 or close to zero (the provider for mine is currently showing they’re gone with what I assume was the $10 forgiveness that got rejected, so not sure if that will stick or not).

My wife has worked off and on in non profits and public sector like libraries. She is currently a librarian at a city library.

We’ve paid off and on, deferred a lot, def deferred the last 3 years. By my quick math, we have paid 3.5-4 years worth of payments in terms of qualifying towards 10 year forgiveness. Obviously no payments the last 3 years, so I assume those years don’t count.

We have filed taxes married jointly the entire time. With the new SAVE, it spits out our monthly payments would go from $550 to $850ish.

So….obviously we are fortunate that our incomes went up (specifically mine), but yeah that sucks.

Her income in its own is $45k.

So I’m thinking a plan of:
-defer until next tax filing in February ish
-file married separately
-probably pay a lot more in tax
-but submit for SAVE so the monthly payments are way lower
-long term pay less in student loans than in the higher taxes for separate filing
-get loans forgiven at the 10 year payment mark, pay as little as possible on the way.

I’m going to be talking to our tax guy, but that’s my hope. Any input, am I off on this, etc ?

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Duckman2008 posted:

Hi thread ! We too have to now re figure out student loans.

Quick background:
Wife has a lot of student loans. I have $0 or close to zero (the provider for mine is currently showing they’re gone with what I assume was the $10 forgiveness that got rejected, so not sure if that will stick or not).

My wife has worked off and on in non profits and public sector like libraries. She is currently a librarian at a city library.

We’ve paid off and on, deferred a lot, def deferred the last 3 years. By my quick math, we have paid 3.5-4 years worth of payments in terms of qualifying towards 10 year forgiveness. Obviously no payments the last 3 years, so I assume those years don’t count.

We have filed taxes married jointly the entire time. With the new SAVE, it spits out our monthly payments would go from $550 to $850ish.

So….obviously we are fortunate that our incomes went up (specifically mine), but yeah that sucks.

Her income in its own is $45k.

So I’m thinking a plan of:
-defer until next tax filing in February ish
-file married separately
-probably pay a lot more in tax
-but submit for SAVE so the monthly payments are way lower
-long term pay less in student loans than in the higher taxes for separate filing
-get loans forgiven at the 10 year payment mark, pay as little as possible on the way.

I’m going to be talking to our tax guy, but that’s my hope. Any input, am I off on this, etc ?

The deferred payments during COVID do count. My biggest recommendation is to have your wife certify her employment with every place she's worked while she's been in repayment, including during COVID. MOHELA will calculate her remaining payments for her once this is on file.

I just sent in my recertification, and it was all electronic and super easy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Wiggy Marie posted:

The deferred payments during COVID do count. My biggest recommendation is to have your wife certify her employment with every place she's worked while she's been in repayment, including during COVID. MOHELA will calculate her remaining payments for her once this is on file.

I just sent in my recertification, and it was all electronic and super easy.

Even if we had it under forbearance the past 3 years?

And yeah, I’m working on gathering the EINs of each place and filing.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am suffering from information overload and have a question - I am already enrolled in IBR. Do I need to enroll in SAVE or will I be automatically enrolled?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

remigious posted:

I am suffering from information overload and have a question - I am already enrolled in IBR. Do I need to enroll in SAVE or will I be automatically enrolled?

Which IDR plan are you on? If you're on the IBR or any other IDR plan than REPAYE you will have to request to transfer to SAVE. If you are on REPAYE it will automatically convert to SAVE.

I was on IBR and submitted the paperwork this morning. Should drop my payment from $200 on IBR to $0 (working towards PSLF).

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Which IDR plan are you on? If you're on the IBR or any other IDR plan than REPAYE you will have to request to transfer to SAVE. If you are on REPAYE it will automatically convert to SAVE.

I was on IBR and submitted the paperwork this morning. Should drop my payment from $200 on IBR to $0 (working towards PSLF).

Pretty sure I am not on REPAYE so I will just apply for SAVE. Thank you for the reply!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Duckman2008 posted:

Even if we had it under forbearance the past 3 years?

And yeah, I’m working on gathering the EINs of each place and filing.

Do you mean you had it under a separate forbearance, or the COVID repayment pause? If it was an unrelated forbearance, I don't think it would count. The paused payments under the COVID pause do count though.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Oh poo poo I just submitted my final PSLF form.

Now to wait for HR to countersign, and DOE to process and send to MOHELA, then MOHELA to process and send back to DOE, etc etc etc for the next year or so

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Quick dumb question: Student loan interest begins accruing again on Sept 1st, so if you were planning on paying off a big chunk of your loans, you'd want to do that before then, correct?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

trip9 posted:

Quick dumb question: Student loan interest begins accruing again on Sept 1st, so if you were planning on paying off a big chunk of your loans, you'd want to do that before then, correct?

Yes.

I hope those assholes are happy.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I was reading up on the new SAVE plan and this appears to be new

quote:

Under the SAVE plan, borrowers whose original principal balances were $12,000 or less will receive forgiveness after 120 payments (the equivalent of 10 years in repayment). For each additional $1,000 borrowed above that level, the plan adds an additional 12 payments (equivalent of 1 year of payments) for up to a maximum of 20 or 25 years.

Per the press conference
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...-new-save-plan/
"For undergrads, it’s 20 years. For graduate students, it’s 25 years."

I believe PAYE/REPAYE was max of 20 years. IBR was 25.

I 'think' that for moderately high earners, the new SAVE plan could be worse (trading somewhat lower payments for 5 more years of them) than the PAYE plan and it will be interesting to see how switching between programs is handled. Presumably you wouldn't be able to go to SAVE for 20 years then switch back to PAYE.

I'm also interested in how the interest is handled, will it be placed into a suspense account? Forgiving it will have tax consequences once the current law expires in 2026.

Edit: Reading further regarding interest, this could help my cousin-in-law depending on how the interest works out. Using fake numbers, let's say she was paying $500/mo on PAYE before, but only $250 of that was principal and $250 was towards interest. Assuming her monthly repayment drops significantly; with the interest changes, if she kept paying $500/mo, would she just wipe out the principal pretty fast, and the interest be forgiven in another decade or two after a few dozen months of paying $0?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 29, 2023

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello thread. I know most student loan payments are stating up soon, but mine don't appear to be starting up until December of 2024.

It says right on my Nelnet account (and I just got a text) that my next payment won't be until mid-December 2024. Any idea why that's so long from now (not that I'm upset about it), and will interest still begin to accrue come October?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

literally this big posted:

Hello thread. I know most student loan payments are stating up soon, but mine don't appear to be starting up until December of 2024.

It says right on my Nelnet account (and I just got a text) that my next payment won't be until mid-December 2024. Any idea why that's so long from now (not that I'm upset about it), and will interest still begin to accrue come October?

I'm seeing the same thing. Did you by chance graduate earlier this year?

I suspect that's what's causing it for me.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Chevy Slyme posted:

I'm seeing the same thing. Did you by chance graduate earlier this year?

I suspect that's what's causing it for me.

Nope, graduated almost 10 years ago. Although I read something on Reddit about one's pre-pause payment plan effecting when one's next payment is due post-pause, based on when you finally re-certify your income. So maybe I won't have to re-certify my income until December '24, and thus not owe anything until then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

Somehow the subsidized and unsubsidized loans are out of sync on payment counts. The subsidized just updated to 120 today after recertifying about a month ago. Will the subsidized get forgiven when the other one still has 4 to go? If so, any ideas how long that actually takes?