Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Gripweed posted:

Holy poo poo this is the worst loving thing I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suOnLM_g-yE

Wow that is ... that is some dogshit writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Gripweed posted:

Holy poo poo this is the worst loving thing I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suOnLM_g-yE

Hickman's Shadow the Hedgehog

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I read most of my books on Unlimited these days. There are a few books that I am so hyped for, that I'll still buy floppies on release.

GODS just moved from floppy to digital. Hickman is usually enough to get me in the door, but like people said above, I don't know why I should care other than Hickman. I'd drop $5 blind on Hickman, but not $10.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think I'd ever pick dialog as Hickman's biggest asset.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Lucifunk posted:

Did the infinity gems becoming manifested as people go anywhere, or was it totally dropped? I forgot what happened to Star, and the rest I don't even remember at all.

I know Black Cat tricked most of them into the same location as part of a successful scheme to cure her mom's cancer, but I'm pretty sure they just hosed off after that. If they had any bigger plans for them, I don't think it ever happened. That seemed to be one of the crossovers that got screwed over by publishing delays during the pandemic.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think I'd ever pick dialog as Hickman's biggest asset.

A lot of his dialogue reads fine on the page but would not work nearly as well when spoken out loud, especially when he's in his more expository mode.

omnibobb posted:

GODS just moved from floppy to digital. Hickman is usually enough to get me in the door, but like people said above, I don't know why I should care other than Hickman. I'd drop $5 blind on Hickman, but not $10.

it really seems like Marvel's sales pitch for GODS is that it's a big deal because (a) Hickman is writing it, and (b) because they say it is, and that's not enough when you're charging $10 for a book about new characters. (And from what I can tell from the PR, the preeexisting Marvel characters they're most closely tied to are the abstract cosmic entities like Eternity, the In-Betweener, the Living Tribunal, etc., who aren't exactly big sales draws.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm the target audience for GODS which means the target audience for GODS is probably very small. This is the first Hickman thing since Secret Wars I've really been anticipating exactly because that larger cosmic part of Marvel is where my heart really lies and exploring that in new and different ways is very appealing to me. I am the person that will pay 10 American Dollars for a digital copy of this book and I can't imagine there's going to be too many more like me unless they're just there for Hickman on name alone.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I am truly shocked that the ad campaign of having these unknown, original characters pop up for a single page in every other Marvel comic isn't the sure fire way of creating interest it seems to be.

Seriously, though, I'm looking forward to the comic still, but will likely drop it immediately if the $10 first issue doesn't hook me.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

glitchwraith posted:

I am truly shocked that the ad campaign of having these unknown, original characters pop up for a single page in every other Marvel comic isn't the sure fire way of creating interest it seems to be.

Especially when most of those pages feature said characters doing little except delivering cryptic bullshit, and have almost nothing to do with the comics in which they’re appearing

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

i'm guessing marvel expected people would pull all those single pages together and get some internet speculation going a la those sinister blind items in x-men but i haven't seen anything of the sort

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
New characters are cool, but I think for the most part people don’t give a poo poo about them. Who wants to invest in a new character that just ends up disappearing because no one invested in them? drat that vicious ouroboros.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

What new reader from the last decade has even read SHIELD. Personally, I am a huge Hickman fan but this feels like it is going to be a huge flop.

Wanting people to pick up books they don't normally read to catch all the pointless previews feels deeply cynical, and the 10 dollar price point would have killed it stone dead even if it wasn't about nobodies. The Ultimate Universe reboot isn't exactly burning up the shelves for me and I have to assume GODS will do much worse.

Hickman might win me over at this, but if I didn't work at a store I would just wait for the collection if it reviews well.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

Books like that are one of the reasins why I subscribed to Marvel and DC's services. I haven't cared about ASM in a very long time, but I still check in here and there on the service to see if things have changed more to my tastes. Lately they've been adding in the 1st issues of new series in there as a preview for the series to come to the service also, so that may show up there on release day. You can sub for one month for around the same price as that one issue.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
How many pages per issue is GODS? Is it significantly more than the average monthly?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

thetoughestbean posted:

How many pages per issue is GODS? Is it significantly more than the average monthly?

The first issue is 60 pages.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

Miles with a crotch mounted vampire flashlight and a cape sure is something

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gripweed posted:

I googled to see what you guys are talking about and as soon as I saw this I immediately called my LGS to preorder a copy. Dr. Strange and Wyn? Sold, a million times sold, I would happily pay 20 dollars to see Dr. Strange and Wyn together.

No idea what G.O.D.S. is, but based off this I'd assume some sort of tie-in to a video game I wouldn't play.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

srypher posted:

Miles with a crotch mounted vampire flashlight and a cape sure is something

It is a modified spider signal

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Why does his coat have a big M? He’s not openly Miles Morales

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Not that it's a surprise with Al Ewing but Avengers Inc is off to an interesting start! Looks like it's primarily a Wasp and Ant Man (men?) so we'll see how that goes.

Ahmed's Daredevil was less exciting but there are some decent ideas in play.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Not that it's a surprise with Al Ewing but Avengers Inc is off to an interesting start! Looks like it's primarily a Wasp and Ant Man (men?) so we'll see how that goes.

Ahmed's Daredevil was less exciting but there are some decent ideas in play.

I really dug it too! I'm surprised that even still after decades of reading comics my brain still lights up with "I know that name!" sort of things like when he called himself Vic Shade

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Daredevil #1: drat

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

thetoughestbean posted:

Why does his coat have a big M? He’s not openly Miles Morales

It stands for "Man", as in "Spider-Man".

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
JMS's Captain America is off to an interesting start.

I was a bit wary of him doing an arc about Steve's childhood so soon after the Revolution arc, but this is firmly rooted in current continuity without being inaccessible, and more importantly, does not appear to be an "everything you knew about Steve was wrong" story. It's just exploring a part of the character's history that no one else seems to have touched.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Wanderer posted:

JMS's Captain America is off to an interesting start.

I was a bit wary of him doing an arc about Steve's childhood so soon after the Revolution arc, but this is firmly rooted in current continuity without being inaccessible, and more importantly, does not appear to be an "everything you knew about Steve was wrong" story. It's just exploring a part of the character's history that no one else seems to have touched.

I just read it and I enjoyed it. I’m a Cap fanboy though. I doubt it will, but I would like to see more of Steve just being a good guy, helping out the neighborhood, fighting small time villains, that sort of thing. Cap stories don’t all have to be grand world saving adventures. I want ti see him just be a kid from Brooklyn for a while.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Given that the preview pages for JMS Cap had Steve becoming a landlord and this being depicted as a benevolent act of charity, I'm probably gonna pass.

anyway, interesting creative team here but having read all three released issues of Ultimate Invasion, I remain thoroughly unconvinced that this is a good idea

https://twitter.com/marvel/status/1704586229981802776?s=46&t=vHCQymUfA8QgltN6y1_sjA

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So he's basically undoing his own work? He was the guy who melded the universes together and now he's gonna split them apart again?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i just...don't care

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

So he's basically undoing his own work? He was the guy who melded the universes together and now he's gonna split them apart again?

Maybe the "new Ultimate Spider-Man" is even more literal and he's going to literally introduce yet another Spider-Man the way Bendis did with Miles.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The way Hickman's talked about it in interviews, it's going to be a brand new setting and not a continuation of the original Ultimate Universe, though obviously it will be somehow connected to what Maker is doing in the current mini-series. Beyond retelling origins with a modern twist, I wouldn't expect it to be much like the old comics at all.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Really starting to seem like Ultimate Invasion #4 could have just been a one-shot

edit: I also really liked the new Cap book, particularly how much was about him fixing up the apartment building. Nice to see him living his values. I think it's a little uncharitable to just say "Cap is a landlord". He bought the tenement he grew up in (biggest suspension of disbelief is that that place isn't a heritage site) and promptly rent-controlled the building and started hiring his neighbours to fix it up with Tony's money

La Louve Rouge fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 20, 2023

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

La Louve Rouge posted:

Really starting to seem like Ultimate Invasion #4 could have just been a one-shot

edit: I also really liked the new Cap book, particularly how much was about him fixing up the apartment building. Nice to see him living his values. I think it's a little uncharitable to just say "Cap is a landlord". He bought the tenement he grew up in (biggest suspension of disbelief is that that place isn't a heritage site) and promptly rent-controlled the building and started hiring his neighbours to fix it up with Tony's money

Real world landlords suck. It’s a comic and he’s doing a good thing. Superheroes are basically cops, but it’s not ACAB because it’s fake.

That’s my take anyway. I don’t want to think about that awful poo poo when I’m ready a funnybook.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Pretty sure someone did the math and Cap been a multi millionaire purely on the basis of back-and-hazard pay combined with the power of compound interest. So when you don't have to worry about your daily living expenses and get to play with Tony's money on top of it...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
when the revolution is happening and i gotta kill steve rodgers

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Pretty sure someone did the math and Cap been a multi millionaire purely on the basis of back-and-hazard pay combined with the power of compound interest. So when you don't have to worry about your daily living expenses and get to play with Tony's money on top of it...

I feel like I've seen two, maybe three different stories where Steve got his WWII back-pay and immediately found a use for it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That’s how he got his captain America hotline in the 80s, and the government tried to use that to make him follow their rules. It’s what led to John Walker becoming cap

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Plus at this point he's 101 years old so he's got his social security checks to cash! :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
And his Army pension.

.......gently caress, boomers really ruined everything.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Since we're kinda on the topic, have Cap and Magneto ever crossed paths much? If nothing else, you'd think the two of them would have a lot of common ground W.R.T killing OG-flavor Nazi's and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Since we're kinda on the topic, have Cap and Magneto ever crossed paths much? If nothing else, you'd think the two of them would have a lot of common ground W.R.T killing OG-flavor Nazi's and such.

There's this mildly infamous miniseries from 1987, Avengers vs. X-Men, which is mostly about the Avengers trying to figure out what to do with Magneto after his original redemption arc.

What's weird about it is that Roger Stern wrote the first three issues, and then suddenly Tom DeFalco takes over for the fourth. It immediately torpedoes what little subtlety the miniseries was going for.